Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 05 Oct 2018 (Friday) 09:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

B&H Customer Service

Flynlow
THREAD ­ STARTER
108 posts
Joined Sep 2015

Oct 14, 2018 21:52 |  #31

Buckeye1 wrote in post #18728986 (external link)
Thank you Kyle and Tom for your input. I apologize for all that I have offended here...note to self.

I'm not one that is offended. Keep doing what you're doing and helping people get good deals on equipment. Sounds like you have some loyal customers. Just understand that some of us will start off skeptical. Your job in sales is to win over those like me. I know a little bit about it... I've been in Procurement for the last 15 years of my career.

Jack Fleetwood | Hutto, TX | Canon 1DX ii | Canon 1DX | Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS ii
Jack Fleetwood Aviation Photography (external link)

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,903 posts
Gallery: 176 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring
Post edited over 2 years ago by Tom Reichner.

Oct 14, 2018 21:55 |  #32

Flynlow wrote in post #18728987 (external link)
Now Buckeye says he could have saved me $600 and that includes a spare battery. It seems sketchy... sorry, but I'm skeptical of something that seems too good to be true. I'm not saying he's a scammer (and it sounds like he's not at all), but I'm saying I would check it out thoroughly before making such a big purchase. When you say, "If you don't want to save, that's fine", I'll counter with I don't have that much money to risk.

I think that before making a judgement as to whether it seems sketchy or not, you should check Buckeye's feedback here on the forum. Buckeye is a longtime member with a strong presence here. He's an important part of the POTN community, and has satisfied many, many POTN members with excellent transactions. When you say that what he says "seems sketchy", and most of us have known him for years, it seems as though you haven't really done much research on him before making your comment.

His self-promotion here in this thread seems out of character to me; usually everything he says is classy and he doesn't push himself on anyone, nor promote himself in an unsolicited manner.

Nevertheless, I am glad that you got the price you wanted from B&H, and that the folks you spoke with there were diligent and helpful. . It's quite decent of you to have started this thread as a way to give praise where praise is due.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Buckeye1
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Joined May 2005

Oct 14, 2018 21:59 as a reply to  @ Flynlow's post |  #33

I honestly don’t know what I said wrong in my first post (#7). You are right to be skeptical, and the admins here have done an outstanding job creating and maintaining the positive feedback system here to help all of us.

If someone tells me that I can save more than 10%; I would have at least ask...how do I do that. At least for future purchases sake.

I was too aggressive defending my reputation, and I have learned a valuable lesson.

Flynlow
THREAD ­ STARTER
108 posts
Joined Sep 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by Flynlow.

Oct 14, 2018 22:01 |  #34

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18728991 (external link)
I think that before making a judgement as to whether it seems sketchy or not, you should check Buckeye's feedback here on the forum. Buckeye is a longtime member with a strong presence here. He's an important part of the POTN community, and has satisfied many, many POTN members with excellent transactions. When you say that what he says "seems sketchy", and most of us have known him for years, it seems as though you haven't really done much research on him before making your comment.

Nevertheless, I am glad that you got the price you wanted from B&H, and that the folks you spoke with there were diligent and helpful. . It's quite decent of you to have started this thread as a way to give praise where praise is due.

I understand what you're saying, and maybe I shouldn't say sketchy, but I will always question a deal that seems to good to be true. Part of what made it seem fishy to me was that he posted on my thread about another dealer. Again if someone started a thread talking about his good service and someone had posted another dealer had it cheaper, I'm not sure how he would have handled that...

Sounds like Buckeye is a good guy and will continue to be successful. Not much else I can say other than that!

Jack Fleetwood | Hutto, TX | Canon 1DX ii | Canon 1DX | Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS ii

Buckeye1
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Joined May 2005

Oct 14, 2018 22:03 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #35

Tom, you should be a motivational speaker...or a life coach for someone like me :-)

Flynlow
THREAD ­ STARTER
108 posts
Joined Sep 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by Flynlow.

Oct 14, 2018 22:05 |  #36

Buckeye1 wrote in post #18728995 (external link)
I honestly don’t know what I said wrong in my first post (#7). You are right to be skeptical, and the admins here have done an outstanding job creating and maintaining the positive feedback system here to help all of us.

If someone tells me that I can save more than 10%; I would have at least ask...how do I do that. At least for future purchases sake.

I was too aggressive defending my reputation, and I have learned a valuable lesson.

I thought I was bowing out!

I think sending me a PM was okay. I think as others said, don't post about saving when someone is praising another dealer. Didn't seem like a good place to do it and it went downhill from there.

I'm truly sorry this went as far as it did. Peace!

Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
4,873 posts
Gallery: 2028 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 15, 2018 06:54 |  #37

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18728991 (external link)

His self-promotion here in this thread seems out of character to me; usually everything he says is classy and he doesn't push himself on anyone, nor promote himself in an unsolicited manner.

Tom- he has already failed the most important part of running a business: Listening to his customers. I’m not buying anything now, so I wouldn’t have any need to look at his feedback on this forum. I do see how he actually behaves towards potential customers now.

Based on how he replied on this thread, I wouldn’t consider him as a vendor for a lens cap. He chose to argue, and then closed out with a stupid sales pitch about saving money. I feel that, if that lens cap were broken, or the wrong size, I’d have to argue to get a replacement and I doubt, based on the responses I see in this thread, that it would arrive. That is my feeling based on his responses in this thread.

How do his responses compare to those of Helen of Adorama? Who would you rather buy from? I do marketing myself for lab equipment,while helping others ( www.researchgate.net (external link) ) so I do know something about this.

Low cost is only one aspect of a vendor. Customer service counts too, and I haven’t seen it here.

Buckeye1
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Joined May 2005

Oct 15, 2018 09:20 as a reply to  @ Capn Jack's post |  #38

You would be wrong on that, Jack. Those who had issues buying from me will testify that I take care of them very well.

I was defending my reputation as being sketchy.

I will note not to do business with you, Jack.

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,912 posts
Gallery: 1000 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by MatthewK.

Oct 15, 2018 11:53 |  #39

Just wanted to chime in here regarding Ben's service: started the order process, got uneasy because it wasn't through one of the big-box sellers, and so put the brakes on as I did more checking on Ben and his reputation. Needless to say, it is sterling, both on here and on FM. Tons of reviews from 100% satisfied customers. I went ahead and purchased the item, and Ben went out of his way to make me happy. From then on, won't go through anyone else.

If Ben were a scammer, I don't think the admins on here would have allowed him to keep on posting.

In regards to sellers getting around Canon's price control: I may be wrong, but vendors have to list MAP, yet they don't necessarily have to honor it. Check out CPW and their Street Pricing via authorized sellers. Greentoe as well... there's ways around it.

All in all, it's good to have a VERY healthy dose of skepticism, no one can be faulted for that.

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,903 posts
Gallery: 176 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Oct 15, 2018 12:13 |  #40

MatthewK wrote in post #18729411 (external link)
In regards to sellers getting around Canon's price control: I may be wrong, but vendors have to list MAP, yet they don't necessarily have to honor it. Check out CPW and their Street Pricing via authorized sellers. Greentoe as well... there's ways around it.

I think you're right, Matt.

The way I have always understood it is that Canon controls what price their retailers can advertise at, but they have no control over the price that they actually sell the camera at.

I think that some people have always had a misunderstanding of this, and they think that Canon controls the selling prices, not just the advertised price.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
4,873 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 15, 2018 16:44 |  #41

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18729430 (external link)
I think you're right, Matt.

The way I have always understood it is that Canon controls what price their retailers can advertise at, but they have no control over the price that they actually sell the camera at.

I think that some people have always had a misunderstanding of this, and they think that Canon controls the selling prices, not just the advertised price.

You are correct. In the USA, this is covered under the Sherman Act, modified by the Clyton Act and the Robinson-Patman Act.

Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
4,873 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by Capn Jack.

Oct 15, 2018 16:51 |  #42

MatthewK wrote in post #18729411 (external link)
Just wanted to chime in here regarding Ben's service: started the order process, got uneasy because it wasn't through one of the big-box sellers, and so put the brakes on as I did more checking on Ben and his reputation. Needless to say, it is sterling, both on here and on FM. Tons of reviews from 100% satisfied customers. I went ahead and purchased the item, and Ben went out of his way to make me happy. From then on, won't go through anyone else.

If Ben were a scammer, I don't think the admins on here would have allowed him to keep on posting.

All in all, it's good to have a VERY healthy dose of skepticism, no one can be faulted for that.

Just to be clear, no one in this thread has accused Buckeye1 of nothing more than slightly boorish postings in this thread. No one has said that he cheats anyone.

I have said (in many more words than this) that the posts are not what one would expect from a company with such a sterling reputation. Again- look at Helen of Adorama, and how she handles the most difficult situations.

As for Canon's "price control"- please note my reply to Tom above.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,550 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 22, 2018 05:00 |  #43

Capn Jack wrote in post #18729632 (external link)
.......Again- look at Helen of Adorama, and how she handles the most difficult situations.......

Thank you so much! :love:

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,835 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 06, 2018 07:12 |  #44

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18728983 (external link)
....Buckeye - I didn't realize that you were an authorized Canon dealer. . It'd probably be a good idea to say so in your advertisements or in your signature or something....

Me either and I've seen the name for years. Buckeye send me your info via PM.

Thanks...

Gear
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,835 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Methodical. (3 edits in all)

Nov 06, 2018 07:18 |  #45

Flynlow wrote in post #18728987 (external link)
This is good news. Hopefully this works out for others and they too save money, and I truly mean this.

I have been wrong before and may be wrong now. However, I have always heard that Canon tightly controls their pricing with legitimate dealers. It seems correct to me as they all price the 1DX2 at $5999 and sometimes offer a deal for $5499. I've heard that some authorized Canon dealers sell of their excess kits (camera w/ lens) against Canon's wishes, then someone splits up the kit and sells the camera an lens separately and can sell them for less. Thus it did come from a legitimate dealer at one time and should be covered under warranty.

Now Buckeye says he could have saved me $600 and that includes a spare battery. It seems sketchy... sorry, but I'm skeptical of something that seems too good to be true. I'm not saying he's a scammer (and it sounds like he's not at all), but I'm saying I would check it out thoroughly before making such a big purchase. When you say, "If you don't want to save, that's fine", I'll counter with I don't have that much money to risk. As I stated in the beginning, I'm happy with my purchase and the extraordinary service I received.

In the end, I'll stick with B&H for now.

And on that note, I'll bow out as well. When you're in deep, no need to keep digging!

Flynlow, once you really get into this game, you will learn that there are legitimate cheaper deals out there. One being "street prices" via Canon Price Watch. You can get deals like Buckeye1 stated and the merchandise is from authorized dealers, such as B&H and Adorama and others. Check out Canon Price Watch and you will see that it's all legitimate. As matter of fact, check there before any purchases to make sure you get the best pricing.

CanonPriceWatch (external link)

Btw, I understand where you are/were coming from with regards to your concern about Buckey1's post. You don't know him and your antennas went up like they should have. There are so many shiisters out here today that you don't know who to trust until you can trust them. As you said, you don't know him from Adam and your skeptism was warranted and I think some of Buckeye1's supporters are missing that point. They would've most likely reacted similarly if in the same situation.

Glad everyone has simmered down now.

Gear
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

sponsored links

4,287 views & 68 likes for this thread
B&H Customer Service
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.