Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
Thread started 15 Oct 2018 (Monday) 18:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Michigan Upper Peninsula Wildlife/Northern Lights

johnohio
839 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 15, 2018 18:42 |  #1

Wife wants to try and hopefully see the northern lights. We're probably going to end up somewhere near Copper Harbor or surrounding area. I'm pretty much wildlife photographer nowadays. While we're in the area, would love to spend some time looking for wildlife. Any suggestions about where to view northern lights from and/or locations to shoot wildlife would be much appreciated. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to photographing/chasing the northern lights. Any and all info would be appreciated.

John

Grizz1
Goldmember
1,615 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 15, 2018 21:10 |  #2

Hi John, not sure the route you may be planning but thought I'd mention something for you to check out.
When I went to Algonquin and met Jeff a couple years ago we left his camp and headed West a good distance than dropped into the states to cross the UP, trying to hurry on our way home. I noticed that I would be driving near the Seney Wildlife Refuge so pulled in and spent about 3 hours there. I can't remember the date but can look it up. We sure enjoyed the stop, lot of Swans, Loons, small game. You could hike some areas and/or take a driving tour that was about 8 miles long winding between lakes on top of levees with many pull over spots. We only saw about 3 other cars which suited me well. I was able to get some nice shots in a short amount of time. It looked to be set up with waterfowl in mind but there will be other critters there I'm sure. We just did not have time to stay long. Any way, look it up and give it some thought.
As for Northern lights, I'm totally at a loss there, safe travels now,
Steve

Steve
2 Canon 60D's, 70D 18-135,-55-250, Sigma 150-500 OS,Sigma 50mm 1.4 ,Sigma 120-300 Sport,Sigma 10-20. 580EXII

johnohio
THREAD ­ STARTER
839 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 15, 2018 21:28 |  #3

Grizz1 wrote in post #18729791 (external link)
Hi John, not sure the route you may be planning but thought I'd mention something for you to check out.
When I went to Algonquin and met Jeff a couple years ago we left his camp and headed West a good distance than dropped into the states to cross the UP, trying to hurry on our way home. I noticed that I would be driving near the Seney Wildlife Refuge so pulled in and spent about 3 hours there. I can't remember the date but can look it up. We sure enjoyed the stop, lot of Swans, Loons, small game. You could hike some areas and/or take a driving tour that was about 8 miles long winding between lakes on top of levees with many pull over spots. We only saw about 3 other cars which suited me well. I was able to get some nice shots in a short amount of time. It looked to be set up with waterfowl in mind but there will be other critters there I'm sure. We just did not have time to stay long. Any way, look it up and give it some thought.
As for Northern lights, I'm totally at a loss there, safe travels now,
Steve

Hi Steve. Thanks for the info. I will definitely look into it. We will probably end up near Copper Harbor Mi. Im thinking a couple of nights there and a couple of days to chase wildlife afterwards. Always good to hear from you.

John

Mel-S
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 16, 2018 09:58 |  #4

Hi John, this website could help you know when to look for aurora. You can even sign up for email alerts (don't know if you'll have email access at Copper Harbor though).

http://www.spaceweathe​r.com/ (external link)

80D, 70D, Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC HSM ART, 24-70 f2.8L, 100-400 f 4.5-5.6L, Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 DG OS HSM C, TC 1.4x III, 430 EX II, Induro AM24 w/3Pod H1, CT214 w/PHQ-1, and several cold beers.

johnohio
THREAD ­ STARTER
839 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 16, 2018 15:51 |  #5

Hi Mel-S. Thank you for the tip about the website. We do have access to email on our phones and i usually have a laptop to clear my memory cards with. The alerts would be helpful.

Thank you
John

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

165 views & 2 likes for this thread
Michigan Upper Peninsula Wildlife/Northern Lights
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.