Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 21:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Eneloop Pro batteries for speedlite

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 17, 2018 07:15 |  #16

Seem like not worth it it if one would have to wait even if its a few minutes after certain shots.

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,352 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 17, 2018 08:25 |  #17

firme wrote in post #18730669 (external link)
Seem like not worth it it if one would have to wait even if its a few minutes after certain shots.

John from PA wrote in post #18729894 (external link)
One caution is when firing on continuous; after 20 shots it is recommended you allow the speedlight to cool for 10 minutes.

Key word is continuous. The bulb in the speedlight can get quite hot on a rapid fire sequence, hence the need to allow some cool down. If you are firing off images at several times a minute, it may not be a consideration. A few weeks ago I had a conversation with a wedding photog and the topic came around to the use of multiple cameras. As well as differing lenses for different perspectives, she would rotate between them to provide some cool down.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,869 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Oct 17, 2018 14:59 |  #18

firme wrote in post #18730669 (external link)

Ten year ago too many photographers would 'melt' (not literally; but cause thermal failure) their 580EX flash units, and find them irrepairable by even Canon. So Canon put in thermal protection circuit into the 580EXII to force photographers to slow down, by deliberately slowing the recycle time of a hot flash unit. Such is the weakness of a speedlight with its flash tube 'enclosed' and not freely exposed to outside air for cooling.

Film cameras and speedlights are better suited for each other...exposures 'cost' film, and are not 'free' as most digital shooters think. And having to change rolls of film every 36 shots would give flash units more time to cool off.
... whereas the digital photographer can blast away continuously for 800 shots before needing to change battery. The days of digital created photographic situations that did not exist when blasting away at 5+ fps for dozens of shots never happened. Now speedlights need to be 'protected' from abusive shooters.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 17, 2018 15:49 |  #19

Well even at the price of the pack is not bad, would be food for thought. Not sure if this is a dumb question, but knowing that it uses 8 batteries would eneloop batteries make a difference vs if I were to just use new bought energizer batteries? Not asking for a test either for those eager to comment on "another test", lol.

The 580ex does get hot after a while of using it. Just sucks that I just can't put it down to cool down when its in use at an event. Unless I just purchase another speedlite. Come to think of it, I saw one for $80 on let go or something like that. That could be my alternative perhaps, to let one cool down while another is in use. Unless I get a level higher than the 580ex, depending on cost.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,352 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 17, 2018 16:00 |  #20

firme wrote in post #18730946 (external link)
Well even at the price of the pack is not bad, would be food for thought. Not sure if this is a dumb question, but knowing that it uses 8 batteries would eneloop batteries make a difference vs if I were to just use new bought energizer batteries? Not asking for a test either for those eager to comment on "another test", lol.

That link I provided for a $49 (used, excellent condition unit is a good price, but I personally wouldn't spend the list $220 for a new unit as I really don't have a need, and that is the question you have to ask yourself. Eneloop or energizer isn't going to make that much of a difference to the flash but the recycle time is shorter with the power pack. I personally have never run down a set of batteries as I always have three sets with me, one of which is in the flash, two sets in my bag and I rotate them out at about 50% capacity.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 17, 2018 16:04 |  #21

I also have a couple of sets ready with me as well. Mine does heat up, but then again maybe I just click one too many times. LOL.

SYS
Cream of the Crop
10,156 posts
Gallery: 223 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Oct 17, 2018 16:33 |  #22

firme wrote in post #18730946 (external link)
Not sure if this is a dumb question, but knowing that it uses 8 batteries would eneloop batteries make a difference vs if I were to just use new bought energizer batteries? Not asking for a test either for those eager to comment on "another test", lol.

When you use an 8-cell pack (and I have one but no longer use it), everything performs better, i.e., more flash pops and faster recycle time regardless of which brand you use.

Where it makes a big difference is that eneloop doesn't get as hot as Energizer and shelf life AND life expectancy are MUCH longer. Energizer, due to memory effect, self-drains really fast whereas eneloop's shelf life is one of the longest because it doesn't suffer from the memory effect. You won't notice this right away, but you'll quickly find that out after going through several charges.

Regarding purchasing either the pack or another unit.... The reason why I have the pack but no longer use it is because I was so impressed with the Flashpoint Zoom Li-on R2 TTL On-Camera Flash Speedlight For Canon when it first came out that I never went back to using both the pack and my other 580EXII units except as additional or as backups. Using this Flashpoint unit is like having a 580EXII tethered to the pack but inside the flash unit itself both in terms of the number of flash pops you get as well as the fast recycle time. Flashpoint uses a single Li-ion battery that yields 650 flash pops at full power (and yes, I did this test, too) at consistently fast recycle time. Without having to fumble with multiple "AA" cells.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
1,109 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2015

Oct 18, 2018 10:42 |  #23

I’ve switched to Fujitsu rechargeable since they are made in Japan not China. Newegg had some great deals for them a ways back. Not sure the price today. I’ve got a bunch of them aaa and aa. I’m quite happy with Fujitsu.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
1,109 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2015
Post edited over 1 year ago by Angmo.

Oct 18, 2018 10:49 |  #24

Wilt wrote in post #18730906 (external link)
Ten year ago too many photographers would 'melt' (not literally; but cause thermal failure) their 580EX flash units, and find them irrepairable by even Canon. So Canon put in thermal protection circuit into the 580EXII to force photographers to slow down, by deliberately slowing the recycle time of a hot flash unit. Such is the weakness of a speedlight with its flash tube 'enclosed' and not freely exposed to outside air for cooling.

Film cameras and speedlights are better suited for each other...exposures 'cost' film, and are not 'free' as most digital shooters think. And having to change rolls of film every 36 shots would give flash units more time to cool off.
... whereas the digital photographer can blast away continuously for 800 shots before needing to change battery. The days of digital created photographic situations that did not exist when blasting away at 5+ fps for dozens of shots never happened. Now speedlights need to be 'protected' from abusive shooters.

True.

I’ve even burned out a pair of Metz 32 speedlights and was shooting macro with a medium format Rolleiflex. Changed film every 12 shots. It was an all day product shoot.

I still have those Metz units. Tubes are nice and blackened. Small units but they really worked hard that day.

Nowdays - I use Elinchrom strobes. No more “toys” for me. Only occasionally.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,352 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 18, 2018 16:51 |  #25

SYS wrote in post #18730984 (external link)
Where it makes a big difference is that eneloop doesn't get as hot as Energizer and shelf life AND life expectancy are MUCH longer. Energizer, due to memory effect, self-drains really fast whereas eneloop's shelf life is one of the longest because it doesn't suffer from the memory effect. You won't notice this right away, but you'll quickly find that out after going through several charges.

And what is the source for the information. I have a set of Eneloops (2-years old), a set of Energizers (1-year old), and an ancient set I salvaged out of an old Kodak camera. In average use, say a wedding I did about two weekends back, I didn't notice any significant difference in temperatures. Certainly none were excessively hot as I popped them out. I would also say that the Eneloops and Energizers yield approximately a similar number of shots. My comments are certainly not based on controlled testing, but nothing leaps out in usage that would make me swear off the Energizers.

SYS
Cream of the Crop
10,156 posts
Gallery: 223 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Oct 18, 2018 17:27 |  #26

John from PA wrote in post #18731681 (external link)
And what is the source for the information. I have a set of Eneloops (2-years old), a set of Energizers (1-year old), and an ancient set I salvaged out of an old Kodak camera. In average use, say a wedding I did about two weekends back, I didn't notice any significant difference in temperatures. Certainly none were excessively hot as I popped them out. I would also say that the Eneloops and Energizers yield approximately a similar number of shots. My comments are certainly not based on controlled testing, but nothing leaps out in usage that would make me swear off the Energizers.

When I was doing the controlled battery tests, I took notice of how hot each brand was to hold them in the palm of my hands at the end of each test. Most brands were warm except I couldn't even hold Energizer cells in fear of burning my palm. I don't know how frequently you've used your Energizer, but if the use was frequent during 1 year period, one area where Energizer should make you notice is how quickly it self drains. If not, I'd be very surprised.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 19, 2018 08:45 |  #27

They are not used continuously as to say per x times per month or year but do notice when used after being recharged and store until next use they wear out fairly quick. So I have a tendency to charge two days before being used. Also, they do get hot as well when used on the speedlite. I try and use old energizer batteries on two PWII. As they don't consume, I don't worry about those as much. As mentioned, I always have extras just in case those hold no more charge and always carry my charger just in case too.

Kumsa
222 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 26, 2018 15:56 |  #28

Going back to what I understood was being asked by the OP, regarding batteries.

I've slowly been replacing my AA and AAA with Ikea Ladda's -- I've been very impressed.

https://www.slrlounge.​com …-ladda-are-they-the-same/ (external link)

EOS R / 6D / Canon 35 f2 IS USM / Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 / Sigma 70-200 2.8 / Sigma Tele 2.x / Samyang 14mm / Orlit Strobes / Pixma Pro-100 / Epson P800 / ColorHug / Tokina 100mm AT-X M100 AF PRO D / Linux Ubuntu / PrintFab-TurboPrint / AfterShot Pro / GIMP / DarkTable / Zerene Stacker / Capture One 12

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,217 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 27, 2018 02:40 as a reply to  @ Kumsa's post |  #29

Interesting. Thanks for the tip.
I also found some test numbers:
http://www.candlepower​forums.com …of-Ikea-Ladda-AA-2450mAh- (external link)
http://www.candlepower​forums.com …of-Ikea-Ladda-AAA-900mAh- (external link)

They indeed seem to deliver what they promise. The question remains, if they are similarly good in terms of low discharge....

Donate if you love POTN

ra40
910 posts
Gallery: 362 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 29, 2018 13:18 |  #30

Glad drmaxx found those links. Had read them a bit back too, just haven't made my way to Ikea to pick some up. (Good reminder-nudge.) :)

Most mine is table top use where I'm using two speedlites with the main 600RT-II at 1/16 to 1/32 and the secondary 580EX at 1/64 typically. At that level, these don't get very warm in a series.

The Fujitsu came up in another thread, I don't recall if that was on Candle Power Forums. The Fujitsu were reviewed favorably and production is in Japan.

sponsored links

4,893 views & 3 likes for this thread
Eneloop Pro batteries for speedlite
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.