Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 08:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which lens to buy

lalunas
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2018

Oct 17, 2018 08:47 |  #1

Hello all!
I recently started doing photography on the side. I plan on making a career out of it in the future. Right now I'm trying to learn everything I can. From starting my Instagram page to doing more sessions. I am currently doing families, baptisms, couples, maternity and thinking about doing newborns as well. I am not sure what lenses to buy though. I bought the Canon T6i that came with the 18-55mm IS STM Lens and 55-250mm IS STM Lens. I want a lens thats better for what I do. Any recommendations?

Thank you

La Luna's Photography

Also, please follow my Instagram page and let me know how to improve! I truly appreciate it!
@LaLunas_Photography

sponsored links
duckster
376 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Joined May 2017

Oct 17, 2018 09:13 |  #2

Any chance you can rent a few different lenses locally to try them? That is what I have done before, to see if I like the lens before dropping serious money on good glass

lalunas
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Oct 2018

Oct 17, 2018 09:42 as a reply to  @ duckster's post |  #3

I haven't looked into that. I'm not sure if anyone rents in my area. Thank you for the reply

duckster
376 posts
Joined May 2017

Oct 17, 2018 11:34 as a reply to  @ lalunas's post |  #4

I have found that to be a great thing to do, before dropping $1000 or more for a lens that you then find out doesn't work as you had hoped....

gossamer88
"something else"
1,036 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Aug 2014

Oct 17, 2018 11:41 |  #5

I would add the 50mm STM and possibly the 85mm 1.8.

On your T6i these focal lengths will be 80mm and 136mm respectively.

Canon 5D Mark IV | Tamron 24-70mm G2 | Tamron 70-200mm G2 | 85mm 1.8 | 50mm STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Powershot G9 X | iPhone 7
flickr (external link)

duckster
376 posts
Joined May 2017

Oct 17, 2018 12:00 |  #6

The 50mm STM is certainly inexpensive enough, about $125 and gives me good images. I use it quite often on a Rebel T3i

chuckmiller
852 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2012

Oct 17, 2018 12:42 as a reply to  @ lalunas's post |  #7

You can rent from very reputable companies who ship the lens to you, such as lensrentals.com
Do some research on rentals to find the best rental service for your needs.

Retired from Fire/Rescue with 30 years on the job 1/05/2019

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,301 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 17, 2018 13:27 |  #8

Shoot, shoot, and learn. Learn light. How light works. Learn how to control light. Learn to see. Specifically, learn how a lens sees ... focal length, aperture, etc.

When you are specifically able to explain why the lenses you currently own are unable to meet your needs, you will both be ready to upgrade, and have a pretty good idea of what you should upgrade too.

gossamer88
"something else"
1,036 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Oct 17, 2018 14:09 |  #9

texkam wrote in post #18730842 (external link)
Shoot, shoot, and learn. Learn light. How light works. Learn how to control light. Learn to see. Specifically, learn how a lens sees ... focal length, aperture, etc.

When you are specifically able to explain why the lenses you currently own are unable to meet your needs, you will both be ready to upgrade, and have a pretty good idea of what you should upgrade too.

Did you see her Instagram? Her kit lenses are not bokehlicious enough. :-D

Canon 5D Mark IV | Tamron 24-70mm G2 | Tamron 70-200mm G2 | 85mm 1.8 | 50mm STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Powershot G9 X | iPhone 7
flickr (external link)

lalunas
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Oct 2018

Oct 17, 2018 14:30 as a reply to  @ gossamer88's post |  #10

Would you also recommend that for baptism photos and baptism parties?

gossamer88
"something else"
1,036 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Oct 17, 2018 14:36 as a reply to  @ lalunas's post |  #11

Absolutely. With 1.8 you can even get away without flash.

flickr (external link)

duckster
376 posts
Joined May 2017

Oct 17, 2018 15:52 |  #12

I have used my 50mm f1.8 STM quite a bit, good lens, especially for the money. Good one to learn about depth of field with as well. Not crazy sharp wide open but gets really nice when stopped down some.

gossamer88
"something else"
1,036 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Oct 17, 2018 18:31 |  #13

And if you need more convincing, take a look at this thread.

It is a very versatile lens. From portraits to landscapes to even "macro".

flickr (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,550 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 17, 2018 20:30 |  #14

lalunas wrote in post #18730710 (external link)
I bought the Canon T6i that came with the 18-55mm IS STM Lens and 55-250mm IS STM Lens. I want a lens thats better for what I do. Any recommendations?

The lenses you mention are decent and really can perform admirably for what you are into. Can you, at least as you look at your work, define some specific shortcomings of the two listed lenses? You will find here that "we", meaning other forum members, are likely quick to spend your money. But your money is better spent once we find out your specific needs.

lalunas
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Oct 2018

Oct 17, 2018 22:19 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #15

I feel like my pictures aren't sharp enough for family photos. When I do baptisms, its not as clear as i would like. Some family members are blurred while the others aren't sometimes. It doesn't really blur out the background like I would like. It focuses on everything instead of just focusing on the subject that I would like. I want my pictures to show a person, thing, etc., not the whole pictures with background. I would like the object/person to become the center of attention. Also, motion can be a little bit annoying. I do photography for my brothers football team and plenty of the pictures are blurry sometimes.

sponsored links

2,322 views & 13 likes for this thread
Which lens to buy
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.