Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 16 Jul 2018 (Monday) 15:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Does it make sense to switch from Canon 5d Mk IV to Sony A7RIII while keeping Canon lenses?

Mbell1975
248 posts
Joined Jul 2018

Jul 22, 2018 23:21 |  #31
bannedPermanent ban

bobbyz wrote in post #18668392 (external link)
OK, Mr. expert you some post your examples. What do I know.:lol:

Sorry, just my 2 cents. I could only post Canon vs Panasonic but my pics are usually very NSFW, so I'll have to decline :-P

sponsored links
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,284 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 23, 2018 00:01 as a reply to  @ Mbell1975's post |  #32

I knew that before hand.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,047 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 25, 2018 15:43 |  #33

There are so many factors on how a camera "renders" an image..... not sure any post like this would be effective. What color space are you using. What profile are you using.... all variables not covered here.

Both cameras are more than capable for capturing really good images. The biggest difference is the workflow of the person holding the camera. Anyone expecting a camera to make them a better photographer is setting themselves up for disappointment. Buy what works with your own personal workflow.... and tell others who think your wrong to go get a life.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,997 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 29, 2018 15:35 |  #34

Croasdail wrote in post #18670619 (external link)
There are so many factors on how a camera "renders" an image..... not sure any post like this would be effective. What color space are you using. What profile are you using.... all variables not covered here.

Both cameras are more than capable for capturing really good images. The biggest difference is the workflow of the person holding the camera. Anyone expecting a camera to make them a better photographer is setting themselves up for disappointment. Buy what works with your own personal workflow.... and tell others who think your wrong to go get a life.

Yes!

The difference between Canon 5dmk4 and Sony A7R3 is like selecting a totally different paint brush and different brand paint.

My take on this topic is that workflow is without a doubt DIFFERENT. I'm quite well versed in using LR. Both RAW files from Canon and Sony react totally different in how you can manipulate in post. I really still feel Canon is much more easier to fly through batch files than Sony. My fuji system is like childs play in how the files are cooked SOOC to look extremely nice and just requires minor tweaks. Sony will not hold your hand when it comes to post processing. You must put more effort in manipulation if you want all of your files to look great in a batch file with similar lighting/scenery.

If you like a certain paint brush...just stick with it as long as the only thing holding you back is your personal skills. Hardware alone will not make you a rock star.

If you like Sony paint brush you'll find Sony has a certain look that Canon cannot easily match even with time consuming skillful post processing. In my case Fuji has a totally different feel when you look at the images vs Sony.

I've been working so hard on getting use to my Sony A7iii that I've let some dust collect on my 5dmk4 and Fuji.

I do notice shooting Sony to be a harsh tool that if your post processing skills need work...it'll show!! if you have a lot of time on your hands you can make Sony images spectacular. Canon is more forgiving IMO and my Fuji system is just ingredients to make easy on the eyes, calm and highly polished images that require ALOT less skill and effort to make look beautiful. At the end of the day a photog's preference to what is good IQ to great IQ is up to the individual.

Sony still retains more realism and less painterly cartoon or smudgy images. Even Canon can sometimes produce cartoonish looks using small aperture images if you uplift the shadows. You can uplift shadows with fuji and produce digital files that look like canvas or paintings and "cartoon" depending on the lighting. Sony really sticks with this realism that is very noticeable.

Even the subtle differences in brands just look different. However you can always have great photos of Cats or ducks using any brand of camera :)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 09, 2018 11:05 |  #35

Have you set up your camera on a tripod yet and shot across the text lines in a book at different apertures, using the timer to trigger? That's what I do when I want to see where my lenses are focusing, etc..

Also, the previous replies referred to 100% crops, but what were they 100% of? Are those half of an original closeup? Or 10% of a photo taken from a distance?

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

ksbal
Goldmember
2,743 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 09, 2018 11:26 |  #36

lukasgunar wrote in post #18664715 (external link)
Hi guys,
I will surely test further with Live View and tripod.

Regarding the request for full image and where I was focusing, here it is:

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by lukasgunar in
./showthread.php?p=186​64715&i=i103087064
forum: Changing Camera Brands

You'll notice this is with the 50mm f1.4 lens... I'll say it again, that lens is known to 'miss' focus even thought it thinks and tells the camera it is 'in' focus.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

Mbell1975
248 posts
Joined Jul 2018
Post edited 6 months ago by Mbell1975.

Aug 09, 2018 15:38 |  #37
bannedPermanent ban

AlanU wrote in post #18673270 (external link)
Yes!

My take on this topic is that workflow is without a doubt DIFFERENT. I'm quite well versed in using LR. Both RAW files from Canon and Sony react totally different in how you can manipulate in post. I really still feel Canon is much more easier to fly through batch files than Sony. Sony will not hold your hand when it comes to post processing. You must put more effort in manipulation if you want all of your files to look great in a batch file with similar lighting/scenery.

I do notice shooting Sony to be a harsh tool that if your post processing skills need work...it'll show!! if you have a lot of time on your hands you can make Sony images spectacular.

I noticed this too with when I owned an a7 and when I shot an a7iii. Thats actually a great selling point for Canon and just proves yet again that they have superior color science to Sony. Very few photographers want to spend an hour on an image shot with a Sony trying to get it to look how it does straight out the camera on a Canon. Especially wedding photographers or fashion/glam shooters like me who need to process thousands of images.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,470 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 09, 2018 16:50 |  #38

Mbell1975 wrote in post #18681003 (external link)
I noticed this too with when I owned an a7 and when I shot an a7iii. Thats actually a great selling point for Canon and just proves yet again that they have superior color science to Sony. Very few photographers want to spend an hour on an image shot with a Sony trying to get it to look how it does straight out the camera on a Canon. Especially wedding photographers or fashion/glam shooters like me who need to process thousands of images.

Naw, you're simply accustomed to Canon.

I've posted comparison photos of the 6D and original A7r in the same low light venue, without flash.

Sony workflow is different, but saying Canon has Superior color is like the comparison I read in another thread on how the 5dc has Superior tonal values compared to newer bodies.

There is a YouTuber by the name of Peter Gregg, an obvious hard core Canon guy that did a comparison in Canon vs Sony video...

Based on "color science" Canon should have it in the bag, but to my eyes, Sony looks better in every way.

Sony A7rii/A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Mbell1975
248 posts
Joined Jul 2018

Aug 09, 2018 17:21 |  #39
bannedPermanent ban

Charlie wrote in post #18681060 (external link)
Naw, you're simply accustomed to Canon.

I've posted comparison photos of the 6D and original A7r in the same low light venue, without flash.

Sony workflow is different, but saying Canon has Superior color is like the comparison I read in another thread on how the 5dc has Superior tonal values compared to newer bodies.

There is a YouTuber by the name of Peter Gregg, an obvious hard core Canon guy that did a comparison in Canon vs Sony video...

Based on "color science" Canon should have it in the bag, but to my eyes, Sony looks better in every way.

The M50 is a half baked entry level camera and its not FF. Here you go. Spoiler alert, most people in the comments preferred the Canon colors to the Sony. Oh and there are countless videos on YT with Sony shooters showing users how to get Canon colors. If you think Sony's color science is better, you are in a very small minority.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=BNjRS6ongt0 (external link)
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=NaXXrVNeLXo (external link)

Charlie
15,470 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 09, 2018 18:24 |  #40

Mbell1975 wrote in post #18681081 (external link)
The M50 is a half baked entry level camera and its not FF. Here you go. Spoiler alert, most people in the comments preferred the Canon colors to the Sony. Oh and there are countless videos on YT with Sony shooters showing users how to get Canon colors. If you think Sony's color science is better, you are in a very small minority.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=BNjRS6ongt0 (external link)
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=NaXXrVNeLXo (external link)

First link 2 different shooters, and two different PP styles. Both heavily post processed.... Not sure what's to talk about.

Second link, Dustin Abbott is a great guy, however, he's way inexperienced with Sony. He only started shooting Sony this year sometime.

Reason I chose Peter Gregg is because he uses a proper calibration tool with basic edits on all his videos.

And don't give me the entry level argument after you spent all that time arguing how good rebels are... He's got footage from the 5D4 as well, and quite frankly, the m50 looks Superior to the 5D4 in that respect.

again, here's another video, where the author again, likes the Canon color, but I simply see it differently. No processing or anything, 5Div A7r3

of course YMMV, and if you're accustomed to canon, you'll like canon more, and vice versa. Not saying it's the same, there are clear differences, but I'de rather work with Sony files, just more flexible. I don't process Canon files any faster than Sony files.

That said, there are clear differences, and if you're not the type to learn about color basics, then Sony can give you real pain. I'm sure folks that shoot Sony all their lives, going to Canon would be equally jarring.

Saying Canon has better SOOC, sure, that's a popular opinion, and you can have it. I mean, I think my iPhone nails WB better than all big Sensor cameras, but I wouldn't want to deal with those files.

Sony A7rii/A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Mbell1975
248 posts
Joined Jul 2018

Aug 09, 2018 19:05 |  #41
bannedPermanent ban

Charlie wrote in post #18681115 (external link)
First link 2 different shooters, and two different PP styles. Both heavily post processed.... Not sure what's to talk about.

Second link, Dustin Abbott is a great guy, however, he's way inexperienced with Sony. He only started shooting Sony this year sometime.

Reason I chose Peter Gregg is because he uses a proper calibration tool with basic edits on all his videos.

And don't give me the entry level argument after you spent all that time arguing how good rebels are... He's got footage from the 5D4 as well, and quite frankly, the m50 looks Superior to the 5D4 in that respect.

again, here's another video, where the author again, likes the Canon color, but I simply see it differently. No processing or anything, 5Div A7r3

of course YMMV, and if you're accustomed to canon, you'll like canon more, and vice versa. Not saying it's the same, there are clear differences, but I'de rather work with Sony files, just more flexible. I don't process Canon files any faster than Sony files.

That said, there are clear differences, and if you're not the type to learn about color basics, then Sony can give you real pain. I'm sure folks that shoot Sony all their lives, going to Canon would be equally jarring.

Saying Canon has better SOOC, sure, that's a popular opinion, and you can have it. I mean, I think my iPhone nails WB better than all big Sensor cameras, but I wouldn't want to deal with those files.

Sorry but i couldnt get past 2 minutes in that video. Someone who can't properly light a shot shouldn't be making videos on camera colors. It looks very amateur and thats video, not photo.

Charlie
15,470 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 09, 2018 19:27 |  #42

Mbell1975 wrote in post #18681149 (external link)
Sorry but i couldnt get past 2 minutes in that video. Someone who can't properly light a shot shouldn't be making videos on camera colors. It looks very amateur and thats video, not photo.

So you're trying to tell me Sony performs better in low light? Totally agree!

Zakna
20 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 11, 2018 11:06 as a reply to  @ Charlie's post |  #43

Totally in love with Sony :)

I never touch my 5dm3 anymore. I'm thinking of getting the A7R3, especially over the EOS-R and getting rid of the 5dm3.

HOSTED PHOTO

Sony α7RIII flickr (external link)
Sony FE 28F/2 / FE 85F/1.8 / FE 100-400F/4.5-5.6 GM OSS
Canon EF 24-70F/2.8LII / EF 100-400F/4.5-5.6LISII / EF 100F/2.8LIS Macro / EF 40F/2.8 Pancake / 1.4EXII / 2.0EXIII
Sigma 24 F/1.4A / 35 F/1.4A / 50F/1.4A / 105F/1.4A / 14-24F/2.8A / 70-200F/2.8S / 2xSigma MC-11 EF -> E

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,009 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 17, 2018 16:23 as a reply to  @ Zakna's post |  #44

I purchased a used A6500 to see if I generally like Sony mirrorless cameras.

he verdict is that I absolutely LOVE the 6500 but, I am not crazy about the MC-11 adapter I got as part of the eBay A6500 sale. It works but, not as well as I would like with my Canon glass.

OTOH... I love my MC-11 with my Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 lens. It doesn't have Eye-AF (which I have fallen in love with) but a combination of auto focus tweaked by manual focus (I have the MF switch in toggle mode and it is right by my shooting hand thumb) its a great way to focus. Certainly easier than focus and recompose for portraits that I have to do with my Canon 6D2 camera.

I would not feel comfortable shooting professionally with my Canon glass and A6500...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

3,671 views & 7 likes for this thread
Does it make sense to switch from Canon 5d Mk IV to Sony A7RIII while keeping Canon lenses?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.