Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 16 Oct 2018 (Tuesday) 08:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

BH adding state tax now

Pigpen101
869 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2017

Oct 16, 2018 18:05 |  #31

I believe that B&H, and maybe some others, might make up the cost by more promotions, discounts, or rewards of some types.

There is a local furniture store that often advertises a "sales tax sale". Basically discounting the total cost of your purchase by the same amount you will pay in tax.

We'll see????

sponsored links
Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
2,267 posts
Gallery: 995 photos
Joined Mar 2010
Post edited 4 months ago by Capn Jack.

Oct 16, 2018 18:06 |  #32

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18730195 (external link)
When it starts is state-dependent.

Here in WA state, it started today, due to when the WA state sales tax law goes into effect for B&H.

Other states will or may vary, depending on what laws they have passed.

The feds made a law saying that states could start to charge sales tax for out-of-state internet purchases, but it is up to each state to follow up on it and make their own policy/law about it. . Each state will do this on their own timeframe.

Actually, the state was always entitled to the tax.

This ruling overturns the Court’s 1992 decision in Quill Corporation v. North Dakota. The Quill case prohibited states from requiring a business to collect sales tax unless the business had a physical presence in the state. ....

Formerly the burden was on the customer rather than the seller to pay the relevant tax. In that case, the tax generally is called use tax rather than sales tax – and customers often simply did not pay use tax to the state.

Reference: https://www.nolo.com …ernet-sales-tax-laws.html (external link)

Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
2,267 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 16, 2018 18:10 |  #33

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18730341 (external link)

For those who both buy and sell used gear, that is neither good nor bad, as it will just cancel out.

And for people who buy new and sell it later as used, it is neither good or bad, as it will just cancel out.

The only net difference it will make will be for someone like me, who only buys used but doesn't sell used. . It will hurt me.

Why do you say that? Except possibly for expensive things such as boats, cars, or airplanes, individual sales aren't subject to sales tax. When was the last time you saw people collecting sales tax at garage sales?

Dmab
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,197 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 16, 2018 18:42 |  #34

I live in Wisconsin and just confirmed the state tax has started. Darn!

Dan
=======
Gear List

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,816 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 4 months ago by Tom Reichner. (2 edits in all)

Oct 16, 2018 19:05 |  #35

Capn Jack wrote in post #18730372 (external link)
Why do you say that? Except possibly for expensive things such as boats, cars, or airplanes, individual sales aren't subject to sales tax.

I never said or implied that any tax would be collected on any person-to-person sales of used gear.

My statement was in response to MyDuc's post, in which he said that used gear will go up. . Theoretically, he is right. . If the cost of new gear goes up (due to sales tax being collected), then that will bring the price of used gear up accordingly. . This is because when it comes to digital photography gear, new gear is in both direct and indirect competition with used gear, and when the price of one is affected, the price of the other is also likewise affected.

Many people who buy new cameras depend on the sale of their old camera to help fund the purchase of the new camera. . Those people will now need a bit more money to buy the new camera because of the tax that will be charged. . So they will, theoretically, try to get a bit more money for their used gear to help offset the slightly higher cost of the new gear. . This is how the price of used gear will increase because of the tax now being charged on new gear.

Because of tax being collected on new gear, the supply of used gear will decrease and the demand for that used gear will increase. . Hence, prices on used gear will rise. . That is how economics works - any price change affects the price of everything else.

Capn Jack wrote in post #18730372 (external link)
When was the last time you saw people collecting sales tax at garage sales?

I never saw anyone collect sales tax at any garage sale .... but I don't see what that has to do with anything. . I never said anything whatsoever about sales tax being collected on any used gear at all, so I fail to see why you even ask about tax at garage sales - that seems like a strange connection for you to have made.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Buckeye1
Goldmember
3,342 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined May 2005

Oct 16, 2018 19:42 |  #36

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18730341 (external link)

For those who both buy and sell used gear, that is neither good nor bad, as it will just cancel out.

And for people who buy new and sell it later as used, it is neither good or bad, as it will just cancel out.

The only net difference it will make will be for someone like me, who only buys used but doesn't sell used. . It will hurt me.

Tom, I don't charge tax :-)

Buckeye1
Goldmember
3,342 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined May 2005
Post edited 4 months ago by Buckeye1.

Oct 16, 2018 19:47 |  #37

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18730412 (external link)

I never said or implied that any tax would be collected on any person-to-person sales of used gear.

My statement was in response to MyDuc's post, in which he said that used gear will go up. . Theoretically, he is right. . If the cost of new gear goes up (due to sales tax being collected), then that will bring the price of used gear up accordingly. . This is because when it comes to digital photography gear, new gear is in both direct and indirect competition with used gear, and when the price of one is affected, the price of the other is also likewise affected.

Many people who buy new cameras depend on the sale of their old camera to help fund the purchase of the new camera. . Those people will now need a bit more money to buy the new camera because of the tax that will be charged. . So they will, theoretically, try to get a bit more money for their used gear to help offset the slightly higher cost of the new gear. . This is how the price of used gear will increase because of the tax now being charged on new gear.

Because of tax being collected on new gear, the supply of used gear will decrease and the demand for that used gear will increase. . Hence, prices on used gear will rise. . That is how economics works - any price change affects the price of everything else.

I never saw anyone collect sales tax at any garage sale .... but I don't see what that has to do with anything. . I never said anything whatsoever about sales tax being collected on any used gear at all, so I fail to see why you even ask about tax at garage sales - that seems like a strange connection for you to have made.

Tom, you have to excuse capn jack as he only has one eye, and therefore only sees what he sees...then put you in that little box of reasoning :-)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,351 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 16, 2018 20:08 |  #38

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18730082 (external link)
What local retailers?

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't any retailer within 100 miles of me that sells the types of photography gear that I buy. . I think this is probably pretty normal, except for those who live in cities or whatever. . There used to be a photography store in Wenatchee - a town 100 miles from here - but they went out of business back in 2007.

For many of us, it seems as if buying photo gear online is the only choice we have. . Heck, there isn't even a Craigslist page for the region that I live in.

If you order from Kenmore Camera, over here on the Wet side of the hills, I'm sure they'll ship. They started setting their prices equal to BH years ago, so it becomes a "wash" while still keeping it a *bit* more local...<shrug>. I see what you're saying though.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
2,267 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 16, 2018 20:33 |  #39

Tom-
My apologies for the misunderstanding. As the thread was discussing sales tax, I interpreted your reply in a manner you didn't intend. Expanding on your reply, as you have done, makes it crystal clear now.

Dmab
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,197 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 17, 2018 06:15 |  #40

I don’t think this is true. I’ll bet people will still check the retail price of new gear and compare against used gear price, not retail price + sales tax. You give the general public too much credit that they’ll do the math.

Dan
=======
Gear List

Pigpen101
869 posts
Joined Mar 2017

Oct 17, 2018 16:51 as a reply to  @ post 18730703 |  #41

Had a long, ranting post but deleted it when informed of the "no politics, no religion" rule.

Pigpen101
869 posts
Joined Mar 2017

Oct 17, 2018 16:52 |  #42

Has anyone used Richards Camera in Indianapolis? Just heard of them last week for the first time (good things) and I just check their site, added an 80D to the cart and was no sign or mention of sales tax.

Pigpen101
869 posts
Joined Mar 2017
Post edited 4 months ago by Pigpen101. (3 edits in all)

Oct 17, 2018 17:17 |  #43

Interesting......

Added a camera to shopping cart, and this popped up under the price.

$0 PA Sales Tax Collected on This Item

There was an "information" icon at the end of the statement above. When you click on it, the following message opens.

Sales Tax

B&H collects sales tax on orders shipped to any state which requires that local sales tax be added to the order total on remote purchases, including any shipping charges.

You may be responsible for state and local sales/use taxes when filing your tax returns. Please check your local sales tax laws.

The last lines has me a little concerned, just one more thing to pay attention to at tax time. If it's going to happen, just make us pay it upon purchase!

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,351 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 17, 2018 17:47 |  #44

Pigpen101 wrote in post #18731007 (external link)
Interesting......

Added a camera to shopping cart, and this popped up under the price.

$0 PA Sales Tax Collected on This Item

There was an "information" icon at the end of the statement above. When you click on it, the following message opens.

Sales Tax

B&H collects sales tax on orders shipped to any state which requires that local sales tax be added to the order total on remote purchases, including any shipping charges.

You may be responsible for state and local sales/use taxes when filing your tax returns. Please check your local sales tax laws.

The last lines has me a little concerned, just one more thing to pay attention to at tax time. If it's going to happen, just make us pay it upon purchase!

*Technically* that burden has always rested on us, as the consumer, in the sales tax applicable states; in state retailers just absorbed that burden by adding it to the sales and remitting as part of their business. Pursuing individuals has just never been a reasonable or worthwhile endeavor for anyone involved; hence the drive to legislate this at the seller level.

The problem for online retailers is that the network of regional and municipal sales taxes in each town, city, county, etc that get added to the base, state tax is ridiculous. So, they're going to *have* to push that burden back down on to the buyer. The whole things is pretty much horsepucky.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Pigpen101
869 posts
Joined Mar 2017

Oct 17, 2018 17:53 as a reply to  @ Snydremark's post |  #45

Does seem as though it would be difficult to control, both on the sellers end & the states ability to track each individual. Thanks for the info.

sponsored links

2,396 views & 19 likes for this thread
BH adding state tax now
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.