Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 13 Oct 2018 (Saturday) 15:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Portrait lens help/suggestion

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 17, 2018 16:02 |  #31

Now, when I experiment at farther distances, the subject will be smaller than the surrounding area, would one just need to crop the person in this case?

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,777 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Oct 17, 2018 17:24 |  #32

firme wrote in post #18730954 (external link)
Now, when I experiment at farther distances, the subject will be smaller than the surrounding area, would one just need to crop the person in this case?

For Depth of Field ...

Less DOF -------> More DOF
larger aperture --> smaller aperture (larger f/number)
longer FL ---------> wider FL

..but when the subject magnification is 'the same', the DOF is IDENTICAL!!! For example the subject size is identical with thise situationns, 24mm at 10' = 48mm at 20' = 96mm at 40' , so DOF is identical in all three.

If I shoot 24mm at 20' AND I crop 50%, my subject size on print is the same as 24mm at 10' and the DOF is the same as 24mm at 10' = 48mm at 20' = 96mm at 40'

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 18, 2018 09:26 |  #33

Thanks for the help Wilt. I just started going to youtube to get more info on this.

wyntastr
754 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 18, 2018 11:40 |  #34

firme wrote in post #18730954 (external link)

Only if the subject is now being shot at a farther distance.
What I'm gathering from your posts is that you'd like to get blurrier backgrounds. As far as distances are concerned, the background will become more blurry the farther the subject is from the background in relation to the camera.
For instance, say you're shooting a person (in this instance, from the waist up as a portrait) in front of a row of large hedges. If your subject is about 10 feet in front of the hedges, and you're shooting at a larger aperture, the hedges in the background will be a bit out of focus.
Now both you and the subject move about 50 feet out from those hedges. You're still shooting the subject at the same distance from your camera and at the same aperture, but now the background is much farther away and will be very blurry and out of focus, making your subject stand out more. You don't need to crop because you're shooting the same distance to your subject as you were before, but farther from the background which puts it much more blurry.

6D - 1D Mk III - 60D - Rokinon 8 fisheye - EF 17-40 f/4L - EF 40 f/2.8 STM - EF 50 f/1.8 Mk I - EF 85 f/1.8 - EF 70-200 f/4L - EF 80-200 f/2.8L Magic Drainpipe - EF 300mm f/2.8 IS L - EF 100-400L

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,858 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 18, 2018 12:21 as a reply to  @ wyntastr's post |  #35

Wyntastr (above post) is exactly right.

The 'real' way to get blurry backgrounds is to make sure that your subject and the things in the background are separated by a goodly distance. . You also need to make sure that you are pretty close to your subject, and/or framing your subject rather tightly, in order to get 'good blur'.

Aperture really doesn't make much of a difference when it comes to getting nicely blurred backgrounds, at least not nearly so much as having the proper distances between things. . Neither do sensor size, cropping ratio, etc. . The thing that matters far more than any of these is the distance between you and the subject, the distance between the subject and the background, and the ratio between these two distances.

I shot this at f29 - yes, f29 - and the background is still blurry, because it was pretty far from the bird, while the camera was relatively close to the bird.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 18, 2018 13:14 |  #36

Thanks for the picture. Yes I saw the same info you guys mentioned on the videos. Not looking to get really high dof, just enough where you are guessing what it is if one is really paying attention to that part of the picture.

Pigpen101
Goldmember
1,061 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2017
Post edited 11 months ago by Pigpen101. (2 edits in all)

Oct 24, 2018 16:03 as a reply to  @ firme's post |  #37

I told you in an earlier post not to pay the full amount for the Canon 85mm F/1.8 because it is constantly on sale. This is the cheapest I've ever seen this lens!! It's worth the original price, but at this price it really is a steal!! Plus there is a free flex lens shield (for what that is worth).

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …_f_1_8_USM_Auto​focus.html (external link)

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 24, 2018 16:28 |  #38

I didn't buy at full price.

sponsored links

3,859 views & 5 likes for this thread
Portrait lens help/suggestion
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.