Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 16:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First DSLR – Need Help on First Additional Lens Choice

Theolodin
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Oct 2018

Oct 17, 2018 16:46 |  #1

Hello All

I have always wanted to get into photography and soon I will be purchasing my first DSLR.

I need help on choosing my second lens to go with the kit lens that already comes with the camera

I am looking to purchase the Canon 77D with the EF-S 18-55mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens (kit). I chose this DSLR, since after reading a few reviews and watching a few videos, this appeared to be a good DSLR to start and grow into. I was also looking at the Canon Rebel T7i, and I am still going back and forth on the choice, so any help on that choice, 77D vs. T7i, would be greatly appreciated too.

My plan is to try to focus on a range of different types of shots using more of the manual setting/priority setting opposed to the automatic. I am a beginner, but I want to eventually learn more and grow. I want to start out with trying to get my photos accepted by ShutterStock, but then move into more aspects. I do like the Bokeh effect of photos, so I would probable do a lot of that. I also enjoy landscapes and nature shots, but this would not exclude other types of shots.
My budget it limited, so I cannot go out and buy a $600+ lens now, eventually, in the future as I progress, but not now. I am not sure if I want to wait and save up for a better telephoto lens in the future or go for a cheaper, kit, one now (the one listed below).
After reading a few sites and watching a few videos, here are the choices I have come too which would complement the kit lens:

Choice 1: EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens – This would by my first telephoto lens, but I know there are better at higher prices.

Choice 2: Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens – I know this will be good to achieve the Bokeh effect and portraits, but the question is can the kit lens achieve the same thing or close to it?

Choice 3: Stick with just the kit lens, EF-S 18-55mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens, until later.

Thank you in advance for the assistance!

sponsored links
john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,432 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 17, 2018 16:53 |  #2

Theolodin wrote in post #18730991 (external link)
Hello All

I have always wanted to get into photography and soon I will be purchasing my first DSLR.

I need help on choosing my second lens to go with the kit lens that already comes with the camera

I am looking to purchase the Canon 77D with the EF-S 18-55mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens (kit). I chose this DSLR, since after reading a few reviews and watching a few videos, this appeared to be a good DSLR to start and grow into. I was also looking at the Canon Rebel T7i, and I am still going back and forth on the choice, so any help on that choice, 77D vs. T7i, would be greatly appreciated too.

My plan is to try to focus on a range of different types of shots using more of the manual setting/priority setting opposed to the automatic. I am a beginner, but I want to eventually learn more and grow. I want to start out with trying to get my photos accepted by ShutterStock, but then move into more aspects. I do like the Bokeh effect of photos, so I would probable do a lot of that. I also enjoy landscapes and nature shots, but this would not exclude other types of shots.
My budget it limited, so I cannot go out and buy a $600+ lens now, eventually, in the future as I progress, but not now. I am not sure if I want to wait and save up for a better telephoto lens in the future or go for a cheaper, kit, one now (the one listed below).
After reading a few sites and watching a few videos, here are the choices I have come too which would complement the kit lens:

Choice 1: EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens – This would by my first telephoto lens, but I know there are better at higher prices.

Choice 2: Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens – I know this will be good to achieve the Bokeh effect and portraits, but the question is can the kit lens achieve the same thing or close to it?

Choice 3: Stick with just the kit lens, EF-S 18-55mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens, until later.

Thank you in advance for the assistance!

The first thing you need to do is learn how to use the camera before you start buying additional lenses.

Football is a very simple game. Twenty-two players chase a ball and Germany always win.

Theolodin
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Oct 2018

Oct 17, 2018 17:00 |  #3

john crossley wrote in post #18730996 (external link)
The first thing you need to do is learn how to use the camera before you start buying additional lenses.

Understood. I just want to make sure that I have the right equipment.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,825 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 17, 2018 17:57 |  #4

Choice 1: EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens – This would by my first telephoto lens, but I know there are better at higher prices. ...

This. It's a great addition and a surprisingly good lens for the price. Skip the 50mm f/1.8. By the time you are ready to explore shallow DoF shots, you'll wish you had a real 50mm and not a toy.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,533 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 18, 2018 08:00 |  #5

gjl711 wrote in post #18731043 (external link)
This. It's a great addition and a surprisingly good lens for the price. Skip the 50mm f/1.8. By the time you are ready to explore shallow DoF shots, you'll wish you had a real 50mm and not a toy.

Arguably the best value for the money Canon sells! The optics are amazing for the money!

A toy? Take a look at this thread.

https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=1429​547&page=1

Also, which Canon 50mm meets your approval? The f1.4 a great lens but one that will break if you look at it the wrong way? The f1.2? Which cost a kidney?

There are thousands of Canon shooters that use the nifty fifty, and produce great photos. Yes it is plastic. But so what? Are you shelling pecans with it in your spare time?  :p

OP buy one and use it to your heart's desire. If you break it, buy another one. You can buy at least 3 if not 4 for the price of the EF 50 f1.4...

I have the MkII, the most maligned of the lot, and it still takes great photos, 7 years after I bought it.

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,337 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 18, 2018 08:16 |  #6

"but the question is can the kit lens achieve the same thing or close to it?"

Pushing things OOF is not just a matter of aperture, but also a matter of camera-subject and camera-subject-background distance. You can place the subject close to the camera and have the background far away and achive a blurred background with small apertures. However, you can't always put the subject far from the background.

So in some cases the kit lens can give you blurred backgrounds, in some cases it can't.

Work with the kit lens for a while and then decide what to buy.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,306 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 18, 2018 09:47 |  #7

Canon 70-200 f4L
Used, about $500

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
8,313 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 18, 2018 10:21 |  #8

If you must have a second lens right out the door, this would be my recommendation. I have one and it produces excellent shots. You can't beat it for the money.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,825 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 18, 2018 10:40 |  #9

MakisM1 wrote in post #18731392 (external link)
A toy? Take a look at this thread.

I've had one in the past, and returned it and choose the 1.4 instead. (also not that great, but way better than the 1.8) Within weeks, every time I focused to infinity, the barrel would pop out. A shooting buddy of mine had the same thing happen. It's inexpensive for a reason. IQ is not bad but neither is a Lego camera if you use it right. :)

MakisM1 wrote in post #18731392 (external link)
Also, which Canon 50mm meets your approval? The f1.4 a great lens but one that will break if you look at it the wrong way? The f1.2? Which cost a kidney?...

If I had it to do over, I thing I would go with the Siggy Art.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

wyntastr
703 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 18, 2018 11:15 |  #10

Check out the lens sample photo threads on the forum. Pick out some focal lengths that you are curious about and check out the examples of lenses that the members have posted there. See if those images are what you're striving for. If EXIF data is supplied, see what the settings were for the images you liked.

Shoot, shoot, and shoot some more with your new kit. All focal lengths for that lens. Get used to the various modes like Aperture priority, Shutter priority, manual. See how the relationship between Aperture, ISO and shutter speed works. See how you like the results. Experiment!

Use this forum to ask questions and get answers. I learned a lot from reading the threads here. Lot's of knowledgeable folk here.

Pick up the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. Great resource for anyone getting into photography.

Have fun.

6D - 1D Mk III - 60D - Rokinon 8 fisheye - EF 17-40 f/4L - EF 40 f/2.8 STM - EF 50 f/1.8 Mk I - EF 85 f/1.8 - EF 70-200 f/4L - EF 80-200 f/2.8L Magic Drainpipe - EF 300mm f/2.8 IS L - EF 100-400L

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,821 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 18, 2018 11:21 |  #11

gjl711 wrote in post #18731043 (external link)

Have to disagree there. The latest STM version of the Canon 5O mm f/1.8 is far from a toy. No, I'm not comparing it to high end prime lenses, but it acquits itself quite well and at $125 it is one of the best bargains in photography. It's a great learning tool for new photographers trying to advance their compositional skill set. It's never too early to start understanding and using a shallow depth of field. Whether the OP is better served by the 55-250 will depend on what he shoots most. My suggestion would be to get both and he will have 3 lenses to learn and grow with.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

yellowt2
259 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 18, 2018 14:34 |  #12

Not sure on your exact budget, but I'd be trying to get the kit with the 18-135 instead of the 18-55

I've bought from Canon Refurbs before and been quite happy. They currently have a 77D + 18-135 kit for less than the 18-55 kit at full retail:
https://shop.usa.canon​.com …t-digital-slr-refurbished (external link)

Pair that with the 50 f/1.8 and you'll have a very good and versatile starter kit

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,995 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 18, 2018 17:12 |  #13

I would echo john crossley's point, get the basic setup and then think about where you want to go.

Th 55-250 is an absolute star for the peanuts that it costs - but of no use if you find that you prefer wider angles! I really like the Canon 10-18 (a little more expensive but still sensible) but no use if you need reach.

Get a camera, get a standard/kit zoom lens then go out and play, have fun - nobody is judging you so just enjoy yourself. If you find that your lens is limiting you then have a look at what is available - you may not need anything else!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,620 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 18, 2018 19:21 |  #14

"Woot!" is an independent subsidiary of Amazon and currently they have the 80D with 18-55m Lens for $800. See https://electronics.wo​ot.com …dslr-24mp-w-18-55m-lens-3 (external link) for the details.

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,627 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 18, 2018 19:22 |  #15

Waiting to buy a lens until you've experimented with your current setup (and then seeing where your needs are) is a sound choice. Just a note about DOF and bokeh. DOF is greater at a given focus distance if focal length is wider (to get shallow depth of field with a really wide angle lens, you have to be very close). You don't need a fast aperture if shooting portraits with a longer telephoto and at further distances. So it seems if you would like to get another lens to find out about longer focal lengths, the 55-200 is a defacto (it's a good price as well as quality). If in the future you continue to get into photography and want to upgrade or get specific primes, you'll have a sense about what focal ranges you prefer.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links

4,829 views & 6 likes for this thread
First DSLR – Need Help on First Additional Lens Choice
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.