Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 30 Dec 2015 (Wednesday) 12:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post your best Bird Portrait

fotoi
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Gallery: 744 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 18, 2018 17:31 |  #27466

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
avondale87
Goldmember
3,292 posts
Gallery: 365 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 18, 2018 17:35 |  #27467

Will in Tejas wrote in post #18731404 (external link)
Rufous hummingbird from fall 2016

stunning. a beautiful bird

Will in Tejas wrote in post #18731703 (external link)
Merlin (juvy) enjoying a breakfast of tree swallow. Out in an agricultural field.

Caught well in every dimension.
lovely photo.
did it take the Swallow in flight?
Fascinating.

Richard

Bill ­ in ­ Texas
Goldmember
2,631 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Oct 18, 2018 18:04 |  #27468

avondale87 wrote in post #18731706 (external link)
stunning. a beautiful bird

Caught well in every dimension.
lovely photo.
did it take the Swallow in flight?
Fascinating.

Thank you on both counts. I do not know if it took the swallow in flight but I would be willing to bet it did.

Bill being Smug (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,984 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Oct 18, 2018 18:25 |  #27469

bidkev wrote in post #18731687 (external link)
Arrived at the nest just in time to see the Osprey flying away. . . . I returned within 20 minutes and he'd already caught and devoured his bit of a big fish which for the bird's size, I can't believe he manged to carry.! . . .

The nest is 31 metres high and due to his position and the surrounding trees, the only way that I could get a clear shot was to stand beneath and shoot vertically, requiring me to tilt my head back as far as I could which resulted in much discomfort and the lens waving fairly wildly.

The osprey was thinking "No matter how much that guy below me stretches his neck and wiggles his catch around, he'll never manage to swallow it!"

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
8,316 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 18, 2018 18:35 |  #27470

IMAGE: https://i.imgur.com/CPhU0F9.jpg

avondale87
Goldmember
3,292 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 5 months ago by avondale87.

Oct 18, 2018 20:55 |  #27471

Sibil wrote in post #18731743 (external link)

These are both beautiful.
Will you get a double commendation (I commented previously), but when I saw Sibil's post and yours mentioned fall 2016 I gather they change colours, whilst maintaining a different beauty.
They would no doubt blend with scenery more.

Lovely birds indeed. Adds to their intrigue.

Richard

Pippan
Goldmember
1,424 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Oct 18, 2018 21:02 |  #27472

MatthewK wrote in post #18536665 (external link)
Female Cardinal in really dull, low light that's typical this time of year.

I have this as a vertical crop on my computer, but horizontal here on POTN because the uploader destroys the IQ in vertical orientation vmad

clipper_from_oz wrote in post #18536969 (external link)
Your spot on regarding the uploader destroying the IQ....I have exactly same issue and the higher the sensors get (pixel density wise) the worse it gets when downsizing and trying to hold high IQ. Basically so much info is getting discarded when downsampling occurs . I never noticed it back in my 20d/40d days and only barely noticed it in the 5dMk2 days but now with the sensors the way they are trying to reduce 8,000 pixels to 1200 on the long side just cannot condense without noticeable loss of IQ. And Im also noticing the uploader is somehow losing extra IQ especially when I compare the original 1200 PS downsampled image on my HDD against the final uploaded image via the uploader (as displayed in POTN ). Ive also tried downsampling/sizing using the uploader instead of PS algorithm but still cannot match the better 1200 IQ I get when doing in PS and viewing locally based.

Also re Vertical orientation vs Horizontal and how the uploader handles this IQ wise Ive never really compared the two so quite interested in your observation as I just thought it degraded both ways and left it at that. Maybe time ti revisit this whole thing to work out best way to improve IQ via the POTN uploader if thats at all possible

rgds

I have also found this issue of poor IQ after uploading vertical images onto POTN. But surely it's because of the 1600px limit on the long side. If it's a vertical image the width of a 3:2 crop (for example) will be 1067px. Then it's uploaded to the same screen width as a horizontal 1600px wide image, so will be enlarged without increasing detail. If the size limit could be 1600px (or whatever size) wide, regardless of height, I think the IQ would be more uniform.

— Please feel free to offer your thoughts on how I might improve my images —

avondale87
Goldmember
3,292 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 5 months ago by avondale87.

Oct 18, 2018 21:04 |  #27473

Arrived at the nest just in time to see the Osprey flying away. I went for a walk in the mangroves assuming he'd gone fishing and would be back shortly. I returned within 20 minutes and he'd already caught and devoured his bit of a big fish which for the bird's size, I can't believe he manged to carry.! I believe that ospreys eat the head first before feeding the young.

The nest is 31 metres high and due to his position and the surrounding trees, the only way that I could get a clear shot was to stand beneath and shoot vertically, requiring me to tilt my head back as far as I could which resulted in much discomfort and the lens waving fairly wildly. I managed, through PP, to salvage only these 3 shots out of 67 taken. I'm guessing that OIS doen't work at it's best when the camera is held in this position?

Kevin these are wonderful, despite your limited success.
Curious if you had camera or lens or both image stabiliser active?
I would imagine the camera can handle near vertical shots.
I've never taken any real notice with my EM5, but just point it anywhere and haven't noticed a drop in performance.
Is that where the touted 5 axis stabilisation comes into its own?
I could fully appreciate yes.

Had you thought on that?

I share your neck pain. Try surveying for a day! LOL

Richard

Lame-Duck
Cream of the Crop
9,428 posts
Gallery: 356 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 18, 2018 22:55 |  #27474

clipper_from_oz wrote in post #18731354 (external link)
Local Sulphur Crested Galah -Apollo Bay....

This is probably the closest I have got to a decent background for these guys given they are almost always above me and mainly in amongst lots of eucalyptus leaves when I have shot them in the past . This time I was lucky enough look down on them whilst having a beer on a mates balcony one afternoon. Good thing we were on to our first beers as I would have been lucky to even find my camera let alone get the right exposure etc if he had come along a bit later. Suffice to say not much wildlife gets shot from this balcony :)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by clipper_from_oz in
./showthread.php?p=187​31354&i=i176315184
forum: Birds

Sensational shot, clipper. Really nice portrait.

LD, or Mike
Often mistaken, but never in doubt.

Lame-Duck
Cream of the Crop
9,428 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 18, 2018 23:01 |  #27475

docg wrote in post #18731373 (external link)
Hooded Merganser
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by docg in
./showthread.php?p=187​31373&i=i252157782

I still haven't got a nice shot of a hoodie. What I'd give to get a beauty like that.

LD, or Mike

Lame-Duck
Cream of the Crop
9,428 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 18, 2018 23:03 |  #27476

Found a folder of unattended to photos

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …i-qpH57NQ-X2.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

Sensational shot, Bill.

LD, or Mike

Lame-Duck
Cream of the Crop
9,428 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 18, 2018 23:04 |  #27477

Great portrait shot of the burrowing owl.

LD, or Mike

Lame-Duck
Cream of the Crop
9,428 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 18, 2018 23:05 |  #27478

navydoc wrote in post #18731470 (external link)
His new favorite perch.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/29q7​uLJ  (external link) Hist favorite perch (external link) by Gene (external link), on Flickr

Absolutely beautiful.

LD, or Mike

Lame-Duck
Cream of the Crop
9,428 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 18, 2018 23:09 |  #27479

Arrived at the nest just in time to see the Osprey flying away. I went for a walk in the mangroves assuming he'd gone fishing and would be back shortly. I returned within 20 minutes and he'd already caught and devoured his bit of a big fish which for the bird's size, I can't believe he manged to carry.! I believe that ospreys eat the head first before feeding the young.

The nest is 31 metres high and due to his position and the surrounding trees, the only way that I could get a clear shot was to stand beneath and shoot vertically, requiring me to tilt my head back as far as I could which resulted in much discomfort and the lens waving fairly wildly. I managed, through PP, to salvage only these 3 shots out of 67 taken. I'm guessing that OIS doen't work at it's best when the camera is held in this position?

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2aKe​JW6  (external link) Osprey Feeding (5) (external link) by Kevin Dickinson (external link), on Flickr
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2c8Z​Ner  (external link) Osprey Feeding (4) (external link) by Kevin Dickinson (external link), on Flickr
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2aKe​RuX  (external link) Osprey Feeding (3) (external link) by Kevin Dickinson (external link), on Flickr

You invited yourself to the dinner table. :p Were you offered any sushi? :lol:Great series, Kevin.

LD, or Mike

Lame-Duck
Cream of the Crop
9,428 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 18, 2018 23:09 |  #27480

Will in Tejas wrote in post #18731703 (external link)
Merlin (juvy) enjoying a breakfast of tree swallow. Out in an agricultural field.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Bill in Texas in
./showthread.php?p=187​31703&i=i215245662

Excellent shot.

LD, or Mike

sponsored links

4,608,233 views & 433,349 likes for this thread
Post your best Bird Portrait
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.