Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
Thread started 13 Oct 2018 (Saturday) 18:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7Dmk2 and Macro

mat ­ vanella
807 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Jun 2012
Post edited 4 months ago by mat vanella. (2 edits in all)

Oct 13, 2018 18:54 |  #1

G'day guys and gals. It's time to upgrade from my trusty old 40d. I shoot predominantly Macro and a little landscape. I use a canon 100L macro lens with ext tubes and use a 24-105L for general purpose. I'm seriously considering the 7Dmk2 and wondering how you guys find this camera for Macro work? Thanks for your input.

Think i may have put this in the wrong section, now i can't delets the post. Could the Mods please move it to camera Vs camera. Thankyou.

Edit: scratch this post, i just found Archibald's macro shots and the 7Dmk2 will be perfect ߘ

Got stuff ;)
My Flickr http://www.flickr.com/​photos/83191052@N06/ (external link)

sponsored links
Lester ­ Wareham
27,399 posts
Gallery: 2806 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 20, 2018 12:11 |  #2

mat vanella wrote in post #18728295 (external link)
G'day guys and gals. It's time to upgrade from my trusty old 40d. I shoot predominantly Macro and a little landscape. I use a canon 100L macro lens with ext tubes and use a 24-105L for general purpose. I'm seriously considering the 7Dmk2 and wondering how you guys find this camera for Macro work? Thanks for your input.

Think i may have put this in the wrong section, now i can't delets the post. Could the Mods please move it to camera Vs camera. Thankyou.

Edit: scratch this post, i just found Archibald's macro shots and the 7Dmk2 will be perfect ߘ

Works fine for macro, personally I mostly use MF for macro so I am not sure the AF will do you much good, a cheaper body will do as well for that and landscape I would say.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

mat ­ vanella
THREAD ­ STARTER
807 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Post edited 4 months ago by mat vanella.

Oct 20, 2018 18:40 |  #3

Thanks Lester. I also manual focus all my macro shots. I'm having a hard decision on which way to go with the camera models ATMO. It's going to be a 10yr camera like the 40d was, so i don't mind getting a quality rig. The 7Dmk2 will fit the bill, but a 5dmk4 is also a serious option. 30mp full frame sensor is very appealing, only problem is I'd loose the 1.6 magnification, however i don't mind using Kenko tubes to negate that. Also the full frame would be awesome for landscape. Ooh decisions descisions

Got stuff ;)

Lester ­ Wareham
27,399 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 21, 2018 02:20 as a reply to  @ mat vanella's post |  #4

I did do some macro with full frame, it is fine if you can easily approach the subject but for the more wary ones the lower working distance can prove a pain.

Not sure the FF gives a quality improvement in macro TBH, I was not convinced by practical experiments.

Also when you consider the trade-off between magnification and DOF this tends to confirm the above.

No doubt that FF (even my now aging 6D) is better for landscape.

Gear List

mat ­ vanella
THREAD ­ STARTER
807 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 21, 2018 03:48 |  #5

Lester Wareham wrote in post #18733274 (external link)
I did do some macro with full frame, it is fine if you can easily approach the subject but for the more wary ones the lower working distance can prove a pain.

Not sure the FF gives a quality improvement in macro TBH, I was not convinced by practical experiments.

Also when you consider the trade-off between magnification and DOF this tends to confirm the above.

I appreciate your input here Lester, those are good points. Also the cost of the 5dmk4 is double the cost of the 7Dmk2, and after confering with the Minister of war and finances, the 7Dmk2 is the preferred option, plus it will leave some wiggle room for a decent Wide angle for the crop sensor. AND i can get my mits on it sooner. Motion carried :lol: . The 7Dmk2 will be a huge leap forward over the ailing 40d thats for sure.

Got stuff ;)

Lester ­ Wareham
27,399 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 21, 2018 03:50 |  #6

You might also want to seek Brian's (LordV) input, he has used FF quite a bit for Macro.

Gear List

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,336 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 4 months ago by TeamSpeed. (4 edits in all)

Oct 21, 2018 05:28 |  #7

Perhaps consider the m50? With the adapter, you can use the 100 macro, and focus peaking is simply awesome, as is the 5x zoom in the viewfinder for macro work. Same good high ISO, better DR, and the 15-45 kit lens is tiny. More resolution too. Less money, and you can see what Canon does with the 7d3.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

S.R.M.
Goldmember
1,480 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 22, 2018 05:58 |  #8

Lester Wareham wrote in post #18733274 (external link)

All my macros are shot with a full frame 6D. I chose the body with astrophotography in mind, but it works well for me for macrophotography as well. When I first started in macro I used an older 50D, but I don't recall any major issues with the shorter working distance when switching to the 6D. (Actually the biggest problem with the shorter working distance is that it's easier for jumping spiders to jump onto the lens for a closer look... which they do quite often!)

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen
---------------
6D; EF 16-35 f/4L IS USM; EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM; EF 35mm f/2; EF 50mm f/1.8 II; EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM; EF 70-200 f/4L USM; Samyang 14mm f/2.8

flickr (external link) / flickriver (external link)

mat ­ vanella
THREAD ­ STARTER
807 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 24, 2018 02:05 |  #9

Hehehe, my brand new 5dmk4 will be here in a few days. You only live once eh. Thanks for all your wonderful advice guys. Can't wait to post some pics when i learn to drive it lol

Got stuff ;)

Lester ­ Wareham
27,399 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 24, 2018 06:29 |  #10

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18733350 (external link)
Perhaps consider the m50? With the adapter, you can use the 100 macro, and focus peaking is simply awesome, as is the 5x zoom in the viewfinder for macro work. Same good high ISO, better DR, and the 15-45 kit lens is tiny. More resolution too. Less money, and you can see what Canon does with the 7d3.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by TeamSpeed in
./showthread.php?p=187​33350&i=i194999710
forum: Macro Talk

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by TeamSpeed in
./showthread.php?p=187​33350&i=i906935
forum: Macro Talk

It has video peaking for stills on an viewfinder? That would be cool.

Gear List

Lester ­ Wareham
27,399 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 24, 2018 06:38 |  #11

S.R.M. wrote in post #18734018 (external link)
All my macros are shot with a full frame 6D. I chose the body with astrophotography in mind, but it works well for me for macrophotography as well. When I first started in macro I used an older 50D, but I don't recall any major issues with the shorter working distance when switching to the 6D. (Actually the biggest problem with the shorter working distance is that it's easier for jumping spiders to jump onto the lens for a closer look... which they do quite often!)

Cheers,
Stephen

Yeah I have had jumpers do that. :-)

I was thinking of the bigger stuff like dragons and BFs where the substrate they are on might make approach tricky however good your fieldcraft.

For the small stuff > 1:1 one is close enough with either type of body that it does not make a lot of difference.

As I say I did tests on springtails with the 6D and 7D and did not see a noticible difference in resolution for the same amount of frame filling. Just my 2p worth, other millage may very etc.

Gear List

Lester ­ Wareham
27,399 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 24, 2018 06:39 |  #12

mat vanella wrote in post #18735382 (external link)
Hehehe, my brand new 5dmk4 will be here in a few days. You only live once eh. Thanks for all your wonderful advice guys. Can't wait to post some pics when i learn to drive it lol

Well enjoy and give us your thoughts as well as pics.

Gear List

mat ­ vanella
THREAD ­ STARTER
807 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 24, 2018 13:57 |  #13

Lester Wareham wrote in post #18735472 (external link)
Well enjoy and give us your thoughts as well as pics.

It will be my pleasure.

Got stuff ;)

sponsored links

2,788 views & 8 likes for this thread
7Dmk2 and Macro
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.