Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Oct 2016 (Thursday) 00:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EOS M5- Share your pictures, thoughts, loves, concerns....

roseyposey
Goldmember
4,290 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 05, 2018 01:29 |  #1366

Minolta 58 mm f/1.2 at f/2

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1946/43296477680_4bb829fc77_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/28XX​Lou  (external link) IMG_3896 Fennel in bokeh (external link) by Rose McGillicuddy (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1972/43296477640_7303eb7d5d_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/28XX​LnN  (external link) IMG_3894 Grass Canon M5 Minolta 58 f1.2 at f2 (external link) by Rose McGillicuddy (external link), on Flickr

Panasonic G9: Panasonic Vario 14 -140 f/3.5-5.6
Canon M5: A variety of Canon, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, prime and zoom lenses, Samyang fisheye, 2 lovely Minolta MD, and just for fun a Helios 44-2 58m.
Rose
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/rose_mcgillicud​dy/ (external link)
"Dance among the moonbeams, feel the magic in the air."

sponsored links
Solpics11
30 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined May 2018

Oct 06, 2018 16:32 |  #1367

Australia exhibit at San Diego Safari park

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

roseyposey
Goldmember
4,290 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 09, 2018 00:09 |  #1368

With the old Minolta MD 58mm f/1.2 at F/2. Just loving the bokeh on this lens.

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1971/45194738091_33cd749d50_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2bRG​R5g  (external link) IMG_3913-4 Viola Canon M5 Minolta 58 f1.2 at f2 (external link) by Rose McGillicuddy (external link), on Flickr

Hard crop of the top left corner for the bokeh:

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1974/45194738141_6f29ecfd6c_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2bRG​R68  (external link) IMG_3913-3 Viola bokey Canon M5 Minolta 58 f1.2 at f2 (external link) by Rose McGillicuddy (external link), on Flickr

Canon M5: A variety of Canon, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, prime and zoom lenses, Samyang fisheye, 2 lovely Minolta MD, and just for fun a Helios 44-2 58m.
Rose

mcoren
621 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Oct 22, 2018 12:00 |  #1369

Hey all! I just joined the M5 club! I sold my 7D second body that I wasn't using and bought an M5 + 18-150 kit. I wanted something smaller and lighter than my 7Dii for travel, and I was considering a Rebel of some sort but I decided to go with the M5 because the specs look great and I keep hearing that mirrorless is the future.

I went with the M5 over the M50 because I've read that is has more configurability, I liked the controls better, and I'm still using the standalone version of LightRoom 6 which was last updated last December and may not recognize the CR3 files from the M50. I realize that last one may be a stupid reason to buy one camera over another, but I don't like Adobe's subscription model (it's only a matter of time before they get rid of the "classic" version and everything has to be stored in their "cloud") and I want to do more research into alternatives before switching. I don't shoot much video at all (I won't say never, but close to it) so 4K wasn't a consideration for me.

Canon USA has some great deals on the M5 right now, I think through November 2 or 3. $699 for the 15-45 kit, and $899 for the 18-150 kit.

I also ordered a Fotodiox Pro series EF/EF-S to EF-M adapter that should arrive tomorrow.

Anyway, I have 92 pages of posts in this thread to catch up on, and I'll start posting some of my pics as soon as I start using it in the real world!

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

sidknee
Goldmember
1,284 posts
Gallery: 621 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 22, 2018 13:30 |  #1370

mcoren wrote in post #18734192 (external link)
Hey all! I just joined the M5 club! I sold my 7D second body that I wasn't using and bought an M5 + 18-150 kit. I wanted something smaller and lighter than my 7Dii for travel, and I was considering a Rebel of some sort but I decided to go with the M5 because the specs look great and I keep hearing that mirrorless is the future.

I went with the M5 over the M50 because I've read that is has more configurability, I liked the controls better, and I'm still using the standalone version of LightRoom 6 which was last updated last December and may not recognize the CR3 files from the M50. I realize that last one may be a stupid reason to buy one camera over another, but I don't like Adobe's subscription model (it's only a matter of time before they get rid of the "classic" version and everything has to be stored in their "cloud") and I want to do more research into alternatives before switching. I don't shoot much video at all (I won't say never, but close to it) so 4K wasn't a consideration for me.

Canon USA has some great deals on the M5 right now, I think through November 2 or 3. $699 for the 15-45 kit, and $899 for the 18-150 kit.

I also ordered a Fotodiox Pro series EF/EF-S to EF-M adapter that should arrive tomorrow.

Anyway, I have 92 pages of posts in this thread to catch up on, and I'll start posting some of my pics as soon as I start using it in the real world!

Mike

It's a great little camera, I'm sure you'll enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. It's plenty versatile..... :)

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1939/43532906460_52b1dab220_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/29jR​wqL  (external link) IMG_5574--2018-04-03--18.48.00 (external link) by sidknee2323 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1849/44200492491_2326518667_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2akR​5uK  (external link) IMG_7210--2018-08-19--14.25.39 (external link) by sidknee2323 (external link), on Flickr

roseyposey
Goldmember
4,290 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 23, 2018 00:39 |  #1371

sidknee wrote in post #18734238 (external link)
It's a great little camera, I'm sure you'll enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. It's plenty versatile..... :)

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/29jR​wqL  (external link) IMG_5574--2018-04-03--18.48.00 (external link) by sidknee2323 (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2akR​5uK  (external link) IMG_7210--2018-08-19--14.25.39 (external link) by sidknee2323 (external link), on Flickr

Likewise - the other fantastic thing the M5 does, and with the fact it is mirrorless - is focus peaking. You can use a range of legacy lens with adapters, and the focus peaking terrific for focus. I've been gradually adding a few old Canon, Minolta and Helios lenses. The last two give some terrific bokeh :-)

Rose

mcoren
621 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Oct 24, 2018 03:19 |  #1372

Here is one of my first "real" images with the M5, by that I mean it's not the light switch or dresser handle in my bedroom. :)

I was hoping to get a real "first light" this coming weekend, but it looks like the Mid-Atlantic US is going to get soaked by a nor'easter. I woke up about an hour ago (3 am) and the full moon was shining through the blinds, so I mounted my Sigma 100-400 onto the M5 using the Fotodiox Pro adapter (that just arrived yesterday) and walked out the front door to take this.

This has been cropped a lot, and I tweaked the exposure and clarity a bit in Lightroom. North is to the right since it was in the western sky and I was holding the camera level with the ground. I love the subtle colors in Mare Imbrium (about half way from the center to the edge in the 2:00 position)!

Mike

HOSTED PHOTO

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,790 posts
Gallery: 95 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Oct 24, 2018 03:31 |  #1373

seems a bit upside-down to me but I guess that is to be expected... ;-)a

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

mcoren
621 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Oct 24, 2018 04:30 |  #1374

joeseph wrote in post #18735405 (external link)
seems a bit upside-down to me but I guess that is to be expected... ;-)a

There is no up and down in space. ;)

Actually, tt's just rotated clockwise by 90 degrees. It was in the western sky, and I was pointing straight at it with the camera bottom parallel to the ground. North is to the right and south is to the left.

Mike

roseyposey
Goldmember
4,290 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 24, 2018 04:53 |  #1375

mcoren wrote in post #18735427 (external link)
There is no up and down in space. ;)

Actually, tt's just rotated clockwise by 90 degrees. It was in the western sky, and I was pointing straight at it with the camera bottom parallel to the ground. North is to the right and south is to the left.

Mike

I'm just curious - but in viewing the moon, does it appear different from the Southern hemisphere, as opposed to the northern.

Rose

mcoren
621 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Oct 24, 2018 05:34 |  #1376

roseyposey wrote in post #18735434 (external link)
I'm just curious - but in viewing the moon, does it appear different from the Southern hemisphere, as opposed to the northern.

Good question. I would think so. If it was on your local Meridian—the line that runs directly north and south overhead—you would see the south part of the moon at the top in the north part at the bottom as you look at it if you were in the Southern Hemisphere (which, it appears, you are).

Mike

roseyposey
Goldmember
4,290 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited 4 months ago by roseyposey.

Oct 24, 2018 05:38 |  #1377

mcoren wrote in post #18735450 (external link)
Good question. I would think so. If it was on your local Meridian—the line that runs directly north and south overhead—you would see the south part of the moon at the top in the north part at the bottom as you look at it if you were in the Southern Hemisphere (which, it appears, you are).

Mike

While that explanation is beyond my understanding, I have always felt that seeing the moon from is different from the different hemispheres ... most of the people on these forums are from the northern hemisphere, and moon shots alwyas look slightly odd to me "-)

Yes NZ

Rose

mcoren
621 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Oct 24, 2018 06:44 |  #1378

roseyposey wrote in post #18735452 (external link)
While that explanation is beyond my understanding, I have always felt that seeing the moon from is different from the different hemispheres ... most of the people on these forums are from the northern hemisphere, and moon shots alwyas look slightly odd to me "-)

Yes NZ

I checked with a planetarium program, just to be sure, and set my location to Washington DC, USA, and Wellington, NZ. The image of the moon was inverted between looking south from Washington DC and north from Wellington, which isn't surprising.

On one of the astronomy forums I used to frequent, I read posts from northerners who visited the Southern Hemisphere that the constellations they were familiar with (Orion and such) appeared "upside down" to what they were used to. I suppose that makes things look a little odd. :)

Mike

roseyposey
Goldmember
4,290 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 25, 2018 01:05 |  #1379

mcoren wrote in post #18735474 (external link)
I checked with a planetarium program, just to be sure, and set my location to Washington DC, USA, and Wellington, NZ. The image of the moon was inverted between looking south from Washington DC and north from Wellington, which isn't surprising.

On one of the astronomy forums I used to frequent, I read posts from northerners who visited the Southern Hemisphere that the constellations they were familiar with (Orion and such) appeared "upside down" to what they were used to. I suppose that makes things look a little odd. :)

Mike

Thans for that research and information. It does make sense really :-)

Rose

mcoren
621 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Post edited 3 months ago by mcoren.

Oct 28, 2018 20:15 |  #1380

I had my first "real" shoot today with the M5 and 18-150mm STM. I took it to the same place where I break in all of my new gear, the National Zoo in Washington DC. Overall I was very pleased. This camera is a winner! The focus seemed right on for most of the shots. I need to get used to the controls, and to the different behavior of the M5 versus the DSLRs that I've been using for so many years that their behavior is second nature to me.

I don't use neck straps so I bought a wrist strap (external link), and when I am not shooting I walk with the camera down by my side. I often inadvertently activated the quick set menu by hitting the Q button on at the top right corner of the touch screen with my thumb when holding the camera down by my side. I think there's a way to remove that from the touch screen.

Similarly, I want to see if it is possible to remap the movie button to the M-Fn button because I almost never shoot video, and I am constantly hitting the movie button with my thumb too. I think I saw an earlier post in this thread where somebody said they had done this, so I just need to look through the menus and figure it out.

I also found that when holding it down by my side while walking, I would often move it close enough to my leg that it would switch from the rear screen display to the EVF and back again, so the the auto power down would never activate. That wasn't a problem in this case as I was there for close to two hours and took about 300 shots, and the battery was only down by one bar into the "slightly depleted, but sufficient" range, and I have a second battery.

The main thing I really need to adapt to is that I'm used to DSLRs, and this behaves differently. For example, the rear screen being on all the time when I'm not looking through the viewfinder. Similarly, I have the image review function turned off because it shows up in the EVF when I am using that, but I am used to glancing down at the review image on the rear screen with DSLRs. I wish there was a way to set it to behave like a DSLR, where the rear screen is off except for the image review, and the image review doesn't appear in the EVF.

There were a few times when it seemed like the camera wasn't being responsive. These mainly happened when I was inside the Small Mammal House, where the lighting was a combination of daylight and fluorescent. I don't know if the M5 tries to auto-sync to the strobing of fluorescent lights like the 7Dii does, but a couple of times inside there it seemed like the EVF was lagging in its updates, and there was a delay in achieving focus and taking the exposure. I was also using servo mode AF and I tend to rest my finger on the touch screen after moving the focus point, so perhaps the poor Digic 7 was trying to cope with too many stimuli.

Speaking of moving the AF point with the touch screen, I really like that feature. What I need to train myself to do, however, is to remember to keep moving the focus point to my subject and not the other way around. I found I was doing that initially and composing well, but then as the subject moved around in the frame, I would be concentrating on that so much that I would forget to move the AF point and instead move the camera so the subject would be at the AF point, which might not be in a good place for that particular composition.

Overall, a very good outing. This camera is definitely a winner!

Here are a couple of pics. All of these are postprocessed in Lightroom 6 and cropped to varying extent.

Mike

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

426,555 views & 1,361 likes for this thread
Canon EOS M5- Share your pictures, thoughts, loves, concerns....
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.