Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Sep 2018 (Wednesday) 02:31
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How's the new EOS-R stack up for you?"
It's Amazing!
26.5%
It's kind of a let down
33.8%
It's trash
8.5%
It's good for the price
23.5%
It helped me pick a new body
7.7%

189 voters, 260 votes given (3 choices choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?

this thread is locked
patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,246 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 22, 2018 13:59 |  #1996

SereneSpeed wrote in post #18733497 (external link)
In my brief experience with the camera (~4 days) the AF point selection issues he’s discussed are real and go beyond sports shooting. It takes too long to get from one side to the other.

I had the impression that since it was a touch screen you could just tap where you wanted the focus point (I can do that with my 70D), but that must not be correct. Something to do with shooting video maybe?

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited 5 months ago by samueli. (5 edits in all)

Oct 22, 2018 14:03 |  #1997

patrick j wrote in post #18734263 (external link)
I had the impression that since it was a touch screen you could just tap where you wanted the focus point (I can do that with my 70D), but that must not be correct. Something to do with shooting video maybe?

That may be true when using the back LCD. But when your eye is at the EVF, there is the touch and drag functionality which emulates joystick like control.

mcoren
624 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015
Post edited 5 months ago by mcoren.

Oct 22, 2018 14:10 |  #1998

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18733549 (external link)

I loved his rant!

Here is the comment that I made in response to it:

Tom Reichner . . . 35 seconds ago
Tony, in your "rant" that starts at 16:09, you are absolutely right with every single point you make. I agree with you 100% about all of it. And yes the word bokeh is pronounced "bow-kuh". And yes, Nikon is pronounced with the long i sound, not the short i sound. Those who say otherwise are the ones who are wrong.

I was reading somewhere not long ago--and of course I can't find the link now--that Nikon considers any of the regional pronunciations to be correct. In the US it's "NYE-kon", in much of Europe it's "NIK-kon", and in some places (Asia?) it's "NEE-kon". The company itself doesn't take sides.

EDIT: Found it: https://www.petapixel.​com …l-way-to-pronounce-nikon/ (external link) Not exactly an official statement from the company, but somebody who used to work there, FWIW.

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited 5 months ago by samueli.

Oct 22, 2018 14:16 |  #1999

mcoren wrote in post #18734275 (external link)
I was reading somewhere not long ago--and of course I can't find the link now--that Nikon considers any of the regional pronunciations to be correct. In the US it's "NYE-kon", in much of Europe it's "NIK-kon", and in some places (Asia?) it's "NEE-kon". The company itself doesn't take sides.

Mike

Same with NIS-san or Sub-AH-ru. Mr. Northrup sits himself upon a mighty high horse.

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,891 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Oct 22, 2018 14:19 |  #2000

samueli wrote in post #18734278 (external link)
Same with NIS-san or Sub-AH-ru. Mr. Northrup sits himself upon a mighty high horse.

but I thought that's what tony was saying,.. that hes right because of where he is.. vs , people always telling hime hes wrong

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pansonic, pentax
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://youtu.be/YzJ1o​eiHm7Y (external link)

samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 22, 2018 14:24 |  #2001

rantercsr wrote in post #18734284 (external link)
but I thought that's what tony was saying,.. that hes right because of where he is.. vs , people always telling hime hes wrong

Nevermind, sorry... :oops:

mcoren
624 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Oct 22, 2018 15:22 |  #2002

samueli wrote in post #18734278 (external link)

I wasn't taking issue with anything Tony said. He was commenting on other peoples' high horses, and just saying that in America, it's pronounced "NYE-kon", and that the president of the company pronounces it that way when speaking to American audiences.

As for "NIS-san", I learned to pronounce that as "DAT-sun".  :p

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

SereneSpeed
931 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited 5 months ago by SereneSpeed.

Oct 22, 2018 19:42 |  #2003

samueli wrote in post #18734244 (external link)
Use a smaller quadrant and try relative behavior. It's joystick quick that way. AF/1/Touch and drag settings. I was almost very disappointed. I was like "no, this can't be!".

I tried that. I did not find it '"joystick quick".

I have since discovered that if 'touch and drag AF' is set to 'relative' and full screen, there is very little lag. I found that with a partial screen area, there was noticeable and disconcerting lag. I also needed to set the touch sensitivity to 'sensitive' for the AF movement to be consistent and fluid, for me.

The above mentioned settings made a drastic improvement for me. However, I am looking forward to a joystick on future pro models. Or, at the very least, a way to limit selectable AF points and/or a smaller and more responsive touch and drag AF area.

https://www.danbcreati​ve.com (external link) - Commercial Work
http://unabashedbeauty​.com (external link) - Boudoir/NSFW

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,897 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 5 months ago by mdvaden. (4 edits in all)

Oct 22, 2018 19:50 |  #2004

Canon RF 28-70mm 2.0 ... "Resists Vibration Shock"

Apparently, both the lens and the camera have a form of IS

From Canon:

In the new EOS R system the lens embodies new technologies that combine with the IS system in the camera to implement an augmented control over the image blurring that can be caused by shaking and vibration of the lens-camera system. This is empowered by an interactive data communication between the two. Within the lens a dual gyro sensor system detects any inadvertent physical movements of the system and this data is reported across lens-camera communication to the DIGIC 8 processor. At the same time the image sensor is “seeing” any blur stimulated by these same movements and it also reports this image data to the DIGIC 8 processor. These two data reports are algorithmically processed at very high speed and a compensation control signal is generated and sent back at high speed to the lens to actuate the IS optical element that counteracts the disturbance.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 22, 2018 19:51 |  #2005

SereneSpeed wrote in post #18734526 (external link)
I tried that. I did not find it '"joystick quick".

I have since discovered that if 'touch and drag AF' is set to 'relative' and full screen, there is very little lag. I found that with a partial screen area, there was noticeable and disconcerting lag. I also needed to set the touch sensitivity to 'sensitive' for the AF movement to be consistent and fluid, for me.

The above mentioned settings made a drastic improvement for me. However, I am looking forward to a joystick on future pro models. Or, at the very least, a way to limit selectable AF points and/or a smaller and more responsive touch and drag AF area.

It does seem more fluid using the entire panel. I'm glad it's more workable for you now.

I wonder what feedback actually makes it to Canon. Limiting focus points is very much a firmware thing.

SereneSpeed
931 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 22, 2018 19:57 as a reply to  @ samueli's post |  #2006

Thanks. I'm glad too.

I have to say, the jump to mirrorless has a large (but steep) learning curve.

If the initial images and shooting experience are any indication though, I won't be buying anymore DSLRs. WYSIWYG combined with an in EVF histogram is proving to speed up my shooting a lot! My exposure accuracy is much better than I expected. Even better than I hoped after the first couple of days using the EOS R. Now I know what all the hype was about. (And I'm glad I waited for Canon to do their thing).

https://www.danbcreati​ve.com (external link) - Commercial Work
http://unabashedbeauty​.com (external link) - Boudoir/NSFW

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,891 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Oct 22, 2018 20:14 |  #2007

mdvaden wrote in post #18734536 (external link)
Canon RF 28-70mm 2.0 ... "Resists Vibration Shock"

Apparently, both the lens and the camera have a form of IS

From Canon:

odd no one on e is reporting on it ..

my 35L mk ii is supposed to be shock resitant

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,897 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 22, 2018 20:23 |  #2008

rantercsr wrote in post #18734548 (external link)
odd no one on e is reporting on it ..

my 35L mk ii is supposed to be shock resitant

While others like Sony and fan boys have lauded IBIS, which is admittedly good, Canon has often stated merits to IS on a lens by lens basis due to variables in lenses.

I'm wondering if Canon just developed and released technology and new lens design that they want to remain under the radar for a while. The description goes far beyond shock resistance and talks about an interface between the body and lens and some special element.

Realizing now what they've added, it just greately increased the likelihood of me buying one of their more expensive lenses that does not have an "IS switch. because it sounds like a some degree of IS is covered.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,476 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 22, 2018 20:29 |  #2009

mdvaden wrote in post #18734549 (external link)
I'm wondering if Canon just developed and released technology and new lens design that they want to remain under the radar for a while.

Well, I for one can't really decipher what Canon is talking about in that white paper, but I will venture that the idea that Canon is offering a functional, in-camera stabilization system with the EOS-R, and then keeping it "under the radar" is not plausible.

Missing an in-camera stabilizer is a negative on the specification. Canon knows this, even as they continue to tout in-lens stabilization as the 'right path'.

But I will say this, if either the RF 50/1.2 or RF 28-70/2 were equipped with an actual IS unit or combined functionality on par with the IS that is clearly marketed as being in the RF 24-105/4 and RF35, they would have come right out and said it / marketed it. There is no point in undercutting a release like this.

So the conclusion? I bet this shock resistance thing is a marginally effective pixel shifting approach, and one that probably is only effective in video mode or some such thing. If it was effectively "IS", then the lenses would be marketed clearly as IS lenses. Not just something buried in a white paper.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,891 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Oct 22, 2018 20:54 |  #2010

mdvaden wrote in post #18734549 (external link)
While others like Sony and fan boys have lauded IBIS, which is admittedly good, Canon has often stated merits to IS on a lens by lens basis due to variables in lenses.

I'm wondering if Canon just developed and released technology and new lens design that they want to remain under the radar for a while. The description goes far beyond shock resistance and talks about an interface between the body and lens and some special element.

Realizing now what they've added, it just greately increased the likelihood of me buying one of their more expensive lenses that does not have an "IS switch. because it sounds like a some degree of IS is covered.

oh .. is that what it is? .. they found some secret IS ?

but they not ready to tell anybody about it ?

like I said my awesome 35L mkii has shock restance..

built like a tank , keeps **** from braking..

sponsored links

115,728 views & 1,660 likes for this thread
EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.