Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 22 Oct 2018 (Monday) 14:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I would like to understand

raven4ns
167 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 22, 2018 14:15 |  #1

Hello,
Why are so many photographers interested in a mirrorless camera compared to a standard dslr? I freely admit my lack of understanding regarding mirrorless cameras and why they are considered superior to a normal camera. Hopefully someone can explain why this is so or if it is just a quest for the latest and greatest new product. Thank you.

Tim

Tim
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/44673530@N04/ (external link)
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down..but how many times he gets back up.

sponsored links
avondale87
Goldmember
3,238 posts
Gallery: 364 photos
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 4 months ago by avondale87.

Oct 22, 2018 15:49 |  #2

Tim for me it was the size.
I'm a tall bloke, used to carrying gear, but I wanted a camera I could easily hold one hand, was water resistant, interchangeable lenses, efv.
At the time Olympus EM5 filled the list and I've never looked back.
regarding mirrorless cameras and why they are considered superior to a normal camera
Some may argue that way, I wouldn't venture that track.
That's a Pontiac versus Oldsmobile, Holden versus Ford one, or whatever make you put in there IMO.

It's obvious new cameras draw some like light attracts insects but that's no different to other bits of technology.

If you're hunting for a camera then look and get what suits your inclinations in the photographic area.

To answer your question, I'm not sure there really is any one defined answer.

Richard

Pigpen101
869 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2017

Oct 22, 2018 16:04 |  #3

I was never interested in mirror less. Last summer I was covering a PGA event & met a guy using the new Olympus system. He was able to fire away during the players backswing because it was completely silent. If I were a fulltime PGA photographer I would definitely buy 1 Canon mirror less body for just this reason, & I'd still be able to use all of my lenses. I probably wouldn't get all mirror less. I suppose another benefit would be one less part to wear out.

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,570 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 22, 2018 16:10 |  #4

raven4ns wrote in post #18734277 (external link)
Hello,
Why are so many photographers interested in a mirrorless camera compared to a standard dslr? I freely admit my lack of understanding regarding mirrorless cameras and why they are considered superior to a normal camera. Hopefully someone can explain why this is so or if it is just a quest for the latest and greatest new product. Thank you.

Tim

They're not particularly superior to a DSLR. They're smaller and lighter and I think that's a draw for some. Not for me. If you want small and light there's always the Minox. :rolleyes:

I think your last line sums it perfectly....latest, greatest, bestest, fastest, whizziest....blah, blah......which, to some makes it far superior to any DSLR.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,486 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 22, 2018 18:27 |  #5

Good question, Tim.

For me, the DSLR has become an honored and still entirely useful relic of the recent past. For years they gave us an image of the light coming through the lens. That was and is ideal for film. With mirrorless we have an image of what the sensor is making of the light coming through the lens. To me, that seems ideal for digital.

The downside of mirrorless for me is that it is still relatively new. Five or ten years from now I suspect we will see pro and prosumer cameras in very different form.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

Pigpen101
869 posts
Joined Mar 2017

Oct 22, 2018 18:43 as a reply to  @ AZGeorge's post |  #6

I spoke to a few colleagues that shoot Canon for sports (and have for a very long time). The answer seems to be the same: "Eventually, when they work the kinks out."

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,326 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 23, 2018 09:47 |  #7

No MFA required, more consistent accurate focus, more FPS, quieter (not all bodies have silent mirror mode), lighter, smaller if that is what someone prefers.

Not saying PDAF is not accurate but it suffers slight variation.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,895 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 4 months ago by mdvaden. (2 edits in all)

Oct 23, 2018 10:30 |  #8

raven4ns wrote in post #18734277 (external link)
Hello,

Tim

Superior is subjective.

Many of the features already shared are nice bonuses in mirrorless, but most of those are still trying to keep stride with the best of the DSLRs. So thinking DSLRs are relics is a foolish notion at this point in time.

I'm adding mirrorless as an additional, and to prepare for the future transition. So far, many mirrorless are like handling a child's camera, and the lion's share do not seem fit and ready yet for professionals. Many new quality lenses are not smaller. So stacking a big lens on mirrorless for pro shooting is a bit like putting tractor tires or a volkswagon chassis with extra horsepower.

But it's worth saying, that 20 years from now, if someone buys a good DSLR and knows how to take great photos, there's a good chance they can take as good or better photos than many people using mirrorless. The new features are certainly in mirrorless. But a good number of those camera owners don't have the ability yet to meke it show in their work. But a few can.

So you can really own both systems and be quite satisfied.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

AS_Photo
139 posts
Joined Sep 2018

Oct 23, 2018 10:34 |  #9

I really don't care if it's mirrorless or not. I only care about whether the camera can do what I want it to do.

Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
9,002 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 23, 2018 10:59 |  #10

For me it wasn't changing brands when I bought the Sony, it was adding a capability. The EVF focus magnification with a manual Zeiss lens in a smaller, lighter overall form factor was the key capability I couldn't get on my Canon DSLR. At my age with my old eyes, manual focus through an optical DSLR viewfinder was a non-starter. I continue to use both - just different tools for different projects.

Tim

AS_Photo
139 posts
Joined Sep 2018

Oct 23, 2018 11:25 |  #11

Timphoto wrote in post #18734884 (external link)
For me it wasn't changing brands when I bought the Sony, it was adding a capability. The EVF focus magnification with a manual Zeiss lens in a smaller, lighter overall form factor was the key capability I couldn't get on my Canon DSLR. At my age with my old eyes, manual focus through an optical DSLR viewfinder was a non-starter. I continue to use both - just different tools for different projects.

On my DSLR I use an LCDVF with live view for critical focus. This really only works for landscape shots though or anything mounted on a tripod with a static subject.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,334 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited 4 months ago by bobbyz.

Oct 23, 2018 19:11 |  #12

For me face/eye detect, no focussing errors of dSLRs. Able to see before you take the shot. Easier to get flash/ambient right as you see the change in ambient as you adjust your exposure. Lighter, smaller brown points. With Fuji love the aperture ring on the lens, all dials.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,410 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 23, 2018 21:23 |  #13

Photographers? I see as many photographers with DSLR as with mirrorless.

If you don't mind EVF here is nothing wrong with mirrorless. Fuji made three cameras in X series with OVF mirrorless, but they are not something I see often in use by photographers. Majority is with mirrorless EVF.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Pigpen101
869 posts
Joined Mar 2017

Oct 24, 2018 15:32 as a reply to  @ kf095's post |  #14

I am easily surrounded by 50+ photographers every weekend and see almost zero mirror less. I think it has a lot to do with the huge financial investment these guys have devoted to Canon/Nikon. I know 1 personal who bought a Fuji this year and it hangs around his neck as his third camera. I will make it a point to ask him about it this Sunday, I'm interested in hearing his take.

raven4ns
THREAD ­ STARTER
167 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 24, 2018 19:00 |  #15

Thank you to everyone for their input, I appreciate it. There doesn't seem to be enough reason for me to consider moving from a dslr. I currently use a 1ds mkii and I enjoy using it. My favourite camera was the eos3 and still is although I did switch to digital. Even after reading the comments it is very unlikely I will change to mirrorless cameras. Thank you again for your comments.

Tim

Tim
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/44673530@N04/ (external link)
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down..but how many times he gets back up.

sponsored links

2,797 views & 28 likes for this thread
I would like to understand
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.