Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,265 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 10 months ago by mdvaden.

Oct 22, 2018 15:26 |  #106

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18734146 (external link)
Well it does add this, given my experiences on Canon's other mirrorless:

- Ability to purchase and actually use Rokinon/Samyang fast primes using focus peaking/5x zoom in the viewfinder
- Continuous fast AF with STM lenses when continuous AF is turned on
- Flip touch screen, with the 5D4 lacking the tilt option
- Ability in the future to actually pick up RF lenses and use them
- Silent shutter (unless silent shutter is buried in some other automated setting like on the M50, rendering it basically useless)
- With an adapter, be able to use EFS lenses

But if doing sports or fast AF tracking, it wouldn't add anything, or expecting some sort of high ISO or low ISO DR improvements, which will be nothing or negligible at best.

I"m headed for this EOS R or the Pro Version. But my thoughts have been tracking various direction after just selling my 5D mk iii and keeping my 5DS. I questioned whether maybe to go with a 1DX mk ii. But then I remember I pulled the battery grips from both FF cameras months ago to shed size and weight. So that culled my thought of the 1DX mk ii. Then I'm debating whether to get the 28-70 to replace my 50mm 1.2 EF and 24-70 2.8. But I paused on that thought due to the same weight reduction goal. The new RF zoom weighs more than the Canon 70-200mm 2.8 IS.

But everything still brings me back to seeing the EOS R and RF the direction to INCLUDE. From what I've read about it's focusing ability in low light when needed, it sounds like it outperforms the 5D mk iv or 5D mk iii I had. Or my 5DS. My most challenging thought will be do I keep the 5DS or convert it to a 5D mk iv. And, what lenses to keep or change. Presently, I have my Zeiss Milvus 85mm for sale due to a change in my right vision. But unexpectedly, the EOS R's little converging triangles for manual focus compensate, and maybe it's worth keeping the Milvus now.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

sponsored links
LoneRider
Goldmember
2,204 posts
Gallery: 416 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 22, 2018 17:19 |  #107

Stopped by Kenmore Camera to see one in person. I likey.

In additoin to the display, they had nine of them new in box waiting to be sold. Bodies only though no RF lenses other than the display 24-105mm. Couldn’t help notice that they also had the 5D IV on sale for $2899.

I also am trying hard to convince myself I have no practical need. I have an EOS M5, an 80D, and a 5D4.

As much as I love the features, I am too committed to my L and other EF mount lenses to give them up and start fresh with a new mount so it would always have the adapter on board. Of course that may be good for the filter options as one of my lenses is the 11-24mm F4L.

I am a fan of the articulating screen. I imagine sooner or later I will get it, what would really seal the deal for me would be if it had the 50mp sensor. So I may wait and see what the next generation offers or at the very least wait until the price starts to drop. Once it goes under $2K It would be hard to refuse. 50mp sensor in the $2500 range and I’ll be waiting for the store to open.

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
Cano EOS R, EOS 80D, Panasonic G9, GX9, and a bunch of glass...

samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited 10 months ago by samueli. (3 edits in all)

Oct 22, 2018 17:46 |  #108

LoneRider wrote in post #18734439 (external link)
50mp sensor in the $2500 range and I’ll be waiting for the store to open.

You won't be the only one, lol.

I really should've waited, but I wanted to see for myself what all the mirrorless fuss was about. I rented a 5DIV as a backup on a recent trip, and liked it. Since the wallet was already open much too wide for the trip, I snuck the R in before the wallet closed. To me, this is essentially the 5DIV with mirrorless thrown in.

Hmmm, is that me trying to justify this purchase outloud?

Nismode
Goldmember
1,823 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 22, 2018 19:05 |  #109

To those who have it already, what setting do you have the control ring and the touch bar set to? Just curious. Deciding between the $99 simple EF-RF adapter and the $199 Control ring adapter at the moment, since I don't want to buy the kit 24-105 lens and will be using my EF lenses. I''ll likely get the RF 35mm macro as a walkaround native lens (tempted to save $$# and use the impressive 40mm pancake instead to save weight/size and have a similar focal length), and once my wallet has recovered, I reaaaaaaally want the 28-70 f/2 that will likely live on the camera for weddings (photo and video).

Next year I'll also probably have to spend a few hundred on the drop-in adapter for the Vari-ND and CPL filters. Why are they so expensive!?

And that grip for $490!??? Wow....

flickr (external link)|ModelMayhem (external link)|Instagram (external link)
EOS R (x2)|EOS RP|Mavic Air|Mavic 2 Zoom
Σ12-24mm II|Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8|40mm f/2.8 STM|50mm f/1.8 STM
100mm f/2.8L IS Macro|Σ150mm f/2.8 Macro OS
Godox AD600|Godox AD-200 (x2)|V860 II (x2)|V350c

samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 22, 2018 19:11 |  #110

Nismode wrote in post #18734501 (external link)
To those who have it already, what setting do you have the control ring and the touch bar set to? Just curious. Deciding between the $99 simple EF-RF adapter and the $199 Control ring adapter at the moment, since I don't want to buy the kit 24-105 lens and will be using my EF lenses. I''ll likely get the RF 35mm macro as a walkaround native lens (tempted to save $$# and use the impressive 40mm pancake instead to save weight/size and have a similar focal length), and once my wallet has recovered, I reaaaaaaally want the 28-70 f/2 that will likely live on the camera for weddings (photo and video).

Next year I'll also probably have to spend a few hundred on the drop-in adapter for the Vari-ND and CPL filters. Why are they so expensive!?

And that grip for $490!??? Wow....

I don't have a control ring. For now, I put 5x, 10x zoom on the touch bar.

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,265 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 10 months ago by mdvaden. (3 edits in all)

Oct 22, 2018 20:01 |  #111

Nismode wrote in post #18734501 (external link)
I reaaaaaaally want the 28-70 f/2 that will likely live on the camera for weddings (photo and video) .. SNIP

Question .. if you had an assortment of lenses like I do, including a couple 85mm among which is the f/1.2, would you sacrifice selling a 50mm 1.2 EF lens to get the 28-70mm RF?

I've been looking at that fast zoom and just found part of the answer to a question I had. It may partly explain why the EOS R doesn't have IBIS

Canon RF 28-70mm 2.0 ... "Resists Vibration Shock"

Apparently, both the lens and the camera have a form of IS

From Canon:

In the new EOS R system the lens embodies new technologies that combine with the IS system in the camera to implement an augmented control over the image blurring that can be caused by shaking and vibration of the lens-camera system. This is empowered by an interactive data communication between the two. Within the lens a dual gyro sensor system detects any inadvertent physical movements of the system and this data is reported across lens-camera communication to the DIGIC 8 processor. At the same time the image sensor is “seeing” any blur stimulated by these same movements and it also reports this image data to the DIGIC 8 processor. These two data reports are algorithmically processed at very high speed and a compensation control signal is generated and sent back at high speed to the lens to actuate the IS optical element that counteracts the disturbance.

I'm wondering if this is why Canon's representatives have maintained that an IS for each lens is ideal due to each lens' variables. If Canon has implemented an in-body IS combined with an lens IS that omits a switch, I'd like to see some tests how similar settings compare to photos from a DSLR using an IS lens.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,702 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited 10 months ago by DigitalTuned.

Oct 22, 2018 20:03 as a reply to  @ Nismode's post |  #112

I have my ISO control set to it. You can either swipe, or tap to get to my desired ISO settings.. I didn't get the adaptor with the ring either..
Yeah I feel you on the grip price.. Waiting for 3rd party copies..

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,589 posts
Gallery: 328 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 22, 2018 21:23 |  #113

Can anyone with the R and the 5D4 comment on the focus speed/accuracy between the 2? With the same lenses or say the 50L and the RF 50/1.2? 24-105L vs RF 24-105? Do all those fancy focus points help?

Canon EOS M6 - EOS R - EF, EF-M and RF lenses
Donate for Forum Costs

SereneSpeed
Goldmember
1,004 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 22, 2018 22:00 as a reply to  @ randy98mtu's post |  #114

I'm not seeing a significant difference in speed. But the accuracy of the EOS R is much better. I shoot portraits, not sports/wildlife - so that's where I'm testing.

Below 2.8, so f2.0 to f1.4 there is almost no comparison. The accuracy of the EOS R is superb. It focuses where you tell it to.

I had my first failure to focus today, using the OES R. I was shooting after sunset in light that would have rendered the AF on my 5D4 useless a half hour earlier (small north facing window with sheers drawn, after sunset). The EOR R could not lock when shooting a very smooth transition from highlight to shadow. I was surprised. But, I flicked the AF switch on the lens to 'MF" and was able to see enough through the viewfinder without any MF assist features to capture a sharp image. That was due to the EVF - But it was still a 'win' in my book.

Your 50L and 85L II listed in your signature might get a new lease on life with an EOS R camera behind them.

https://www.danbcreati​ve.com (external link) - Commercial Work
http://unabashedbeauty​.com (external link) - Boudoir/NSFW

SereneSpeed
Goldmember
1,004 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 23, 2018 00:00 |  #115

I would be grateful for a couple minutes of someones time...

Could someone please go to the playback menu - tab 3, and set "Magnificatn (apx)" to "Actual size (from selected pt)".

Please let me know if that works. What is supposed to happen is when you press the playback button, and then the magnification button, the image is supposed to be magnified to 100% and centred on where the AF point was when the photo was taken.

What is happening is that it always goes 100% to the centre of the image. Regardless of where I AF'd from (which is the behaviour that is expected if AF was disabled).

I shoot a lot of my images at f1.4-2.0 and checking is important. It's part of my workflow and this is slowing my down. This might be an easily documented bug - if it's repeatable on multiple cameras...

Thanks in advance!

https://www.danbcreati​ve.com (external link) - Commercial Work
http://unabashedbeauty​.com (external link) - Boudoir/NSFW

Nismode
Goldmember
1,823 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 23, 2018 10:05 |  #116

SereneSpeed wrote in post #18734641 (external link)

Could someone please go to the playback menu - tab 3, and set "Magnificatn (apx)" to "Actual size (from selected pt)".

Please let me know if that works. What is supposed to happen is when you press the playback button, and then the magnification button, the image is supposed to be magnified to 100% and centred on where the AF point was when the photo was taken.

What is happening is that it always goes 100% to the centre of the image. Regardless of where I AF'd from (which is the behaviour that is expected if AF was disabled).

I shoot a lot of my images at f1.4-2.0 and checking is important. It's part of my workflow and this is slowing my down. This might be an easily documented bug - if it's repeatable on multiple cameras...

Thanks in advance!

The phenomenon you describe occurs on my 6D2, but not on my 6D. Weird.

I've never set up my cameras in this way, but I can def see how it is helpful.

The 6D2 doesn't even register the AF point with the red Square (with my Tamron lens or my Canon 40mm lens), so it just defaults to enlarging the center.

My 6D shows the AF point (with Canon and Tamron lenses) and correctly enlarges to that point.

Weird....

Nismode
Goldmember
1,823 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 23, 2018 10:09 |  #117

mdvaden wrote in post #18734543 (external link)
Question .. if you had an assortment of lenses like I do, including a couple 85mm among which is the f/1.2, would you sacrifice selling a 50mm 1.2 EF lens to get the 28-70mm RF?

I've been looking at that fast zoom and just found part of the answer to a question I had. It may partly explain why the EOS R doesn't have IBIS

Canon RF 28-70mm 2.0 ... "Resists Vibration Shock"

Apparently, both the lens and the camera have a form of IS

From Canon:

I'm wondering if this is why Canon's representatives have maintained that an IS for each lens is ideal due to each lens' variables. If Canon has implemented an in-body IS combined with an lens IS that omits a switch, I'd like to see some tests how similar settings compare to photos from a DSLR using an IS lens.

AFAIK the digital stabilization only applies to video, not to photos taken.

Sounds like mumbo jumbo in any way, making up for Canon's shortcomings/laziness in sensor stabilization tech. If you've shot with a Sony camera lately, you'd realize you can program even fully manual lenses into the SteadyShot settings (focal length) and it will easily compensate for movements you generate.

Hell, Nikon was able to incorporate IBIS into their Z7 mirrorless...

sidknee
Goldmember
1,522 posts
Gallery: 726 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 23, 2018 10:23 |  #118

SereneSpeed wrote in post #18734641 (external link)

Thanks in advance!

Nismode wrote in post #18734841 (external link)
The phenomenon you describe occurs on my 6D2, but not on my 6D. Weird.

I've never set up my cameras in this way, but I can def see how it is helpful.

The 6D2 doesn't even register the AF point with the red Square (with my Tamron lens or my Canon 40mm lens), so it just defaults to enlarging the center.

My 6D shows the AF point (with Canon and Tamron lenses) and correctly enlarges to that point.

Weird....

I'd never discovered this feature either, and now I've tried it that's how it's going to stay set! Not that I'm any help to serenespeed as I just tested and confirmed working as described on my M5.

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,265 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 10 months ago by mdvaden. (3 edits in all)

Oct 23, 2018 10:46 |  #119

Nismode wrote in post #18734846 (external link)
AFAIK the digital stabilization only applies to video, not to photos taken.

Sounds like mumbo jumbo in any way, making up for Canon's shortcomings/laziness in sensor stabilization tech. If you've shot with a Sony camera lately, you'd realize you can program even fully manual lenses into the SteadyShot settings (focal length) and it will easily compensate for movements you generate.

Hell, Nikon was able to incorporate IBIS into their Z7 mirrorless...

I shot with my friend's A7R iii recently. But the next day reviewing, the photos from my 5DS that does not have IBIS and his Sony were no better than the other. Hence why IBIS is at the bottom of the heap for my particular interests. Can be handy for others.

As for Canon's new lens and body thing to make image more stable, I haven't seen anything that proves it's constrained to video. That may be possible. But I don't recall seeing it in print yet.

On the other hand, the new EOS RF system Canon released has some features and accessories that Sony can't meet yet.

I think a good number of people think blindly about Sony and IBIS vs. Canon and IBIS. Sony's crippled ecosystem almost mandates needing IBIS. It's like major surgery for Sony due to the lack of lenses that existed for so long and the well-reported inconsistencies with adapted lenses at certain focal lengths. Now that Sony has a few more lenses, the IBIS in it becomes a bonus.

For Canon, there is such a legion of lenses for the DSLRs that IBIS isn't any big deal at all. And when the EOS R was released with the exceptional adapters, the same legions of lenses plus a few extra were available for it. The EOS R did not need the same IBIS emergency-room surgery in the beginning. So if Canon adds IBIS later, I see it more of an extra bonus than a need.

Any complaining about Canon's first FF not having IBIS is what I think of as "EOS R Derangement Syndrome"

It's not going to be Canon's last body, nor it's last lens. But within reason, the EOS R appears to be taking great photos from what's starting to pop up on the internet.

samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited 10 months ago by samueli. (19 edits in all)

Oct 23, 2018 12:51 |  #120

The IBIS thing really comes out of nowhere for me. I've been camera researching for a few months now, but up until then, it never entered my life as a must have camera feature. Sure, IS on a long lens makes sense. I can also read all the threads on the internet and totally agree with it being a bang-for-buck feature, but it never entered my buying decision making process. I'm not at any kind of disadvantage by not having IBIS. Alternatively, I'm not reliant on the camera to crutch through situations that may not always need a crutch. More is not always better.

I'm wondering if Canon is thinking the same way, that it's not a high return feature. If I where doing serious video with my camera, I would want to choose my gimbal separately from my camera choice.

I know my comments in this fashion don't always come off as positive, but when I sit back and think out it, Sony and others don't win by default because they pack the most specs in their camera. It's a manifestation of the scarcity mentality, which is negative in nature, and probably partially why I don't own a Sony or others. Sony is not bad in my book, I just wouldn't buy a camera (or anything else) based on the shear number of features.

Every third person, whether here, or YouTube, or f-stoppers or wherever, says: "why would I spend $2200 when I can get everything and a popcorn maker for $2000?". Scarcity mentality, that's why. Great I get IBIS and FF 4K, but would I enjoy shooting Sony in general? Is $2000K + $600 metabones better than $2200 R + $100 adapter?

I haven't tried the software stabilization in the R yet, but as a software guy, I'm all about software solutions to various problems. I have to give some props for taking a different road, even if it's not as ripe as other vendor's hardware solutions.

On the other hand, my opinion is irrelevant as my workflow doesn't include nor have I tried IBIS or many other features that other brands/models have.

sponsored links

684,845 views & 11,504 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.