Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Oct 2018 (Thursday) 21:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Want to buy an early Canon DSLR - but which one?

Spencerphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
374 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Sep 2018

Oct 20, 2018 02:21 |  #16

Would the RAW files from a D30 be recognisable to a current RAW processor?

5D3, 7D2, EF 16-35 f/2.8L, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L II, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF 1.4x III, Sigma 150mm macro, Lumix LX100 plus a cupboard full of bags, tripods, flashes & stuff.

sponsored links
Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,547 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 20, 2018 02:45 |  #17

Spencerphoto wrote in post #18732622 (external link)
Would the RAW files from a D30 be recognisable to a current RAW processor?

Canon DPP will.

Dave
Image editing OK

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,547 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 20, 2018 02:56 |  #18

You can buy my 1DS2 for $400. It is great for demonstrating how far sensor and electrickery have come. It would have cost $14000 in 2004 new.

It has so many benefits:
Tiny LCD! Maybe the smallest LCD you will ever see on a digital camera.
Noise and lots of it. You don't have to crank the ISO too high to get it either.
Shadow recovery. You will have none of that.

Seriously, it does have the odd benefit.

The AF is still really good.
The viewfinder optics are also really good.
The battery is old but I like them. I have them rebuilt with Eneloops which is cheap and gives years of reliable power.

I use it for risky stuff, it's been very wet from salt water spray, I hold it under a running tap to clean the salt off.
With a cheap telephoto I point it at the sun during sunsets so if the atmosphere is unusually clear and I burn something it won't be too costly.

Dave
Image editing OK

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,547 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Post edited 5 months ago by Choderboy.

Oct 20, 2018 03:16 |  #19

Do you see anything special?
White balance probably a bit on the cool side.
Full image then a crop.

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8595/16711482142_62e419223c_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …6711482142/in/d​ateposted/  (external link)
0A6Q7570_AS_1280 (external link) by Choderboy (external link) on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8615/16711250761_7d67eb2339_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …6711250761/in/d​ateposted/  (external link)
0A6Q7570_2469cr_1280 (external link) by Choderboy (external link) on Flickr

Dave
Image editing OK

Spencerphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
374 posts
Joined Sep 2018
Post edited 5 months ago by Spencerphoto.

Oct 20, 2018 03:44 |  #20

Choderboy wrote in post #18732644 (external link)
Do you see anything special?
White balance probably a bit on the cool side.
Full image then a crop.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …6711482142/in/d​ateposted/  (external link)
0A6Q7570_AS_1280 (external link) by Choderboy (external link) on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …6711250761/in/d​ateposted/  (external link)
0A6Q7570_2469cr_1280 (external link) by Choderboy (external link) on Flickr

Special? No, but good photos nevertheless, and had you not told me they were taken with an 'obsolete' camera, I wouldn't have known. What lens were you using?

Oh and the WB looks fine to me. More or less how I prefer it.

5D3, 7D2, EF 16-35 f/2.8L, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L II, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF 1.4x III, Sigma 150mm macro, Lumix LX100 plus a cupboard full of bags, tripods, flashes & stuff.

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,547 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 20, 2018 03:53 as a reply to  @ Spencerphoto's post |  #21

That was 100-400 II with 1.4TCII. ISO200 so still quite clean. I see no magic in any of the early DSLRs.
While they can still produce great results, in many circumstances the results are not as good as newer bodies.

Dave
Image editing OK

monty28428
Cream of the Crop
10,121 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 20, 2018 04:04 |  #22

Loved my 40d before I dropped off the side of a boat.... would still own it otherwise.

My order would be 1D Mk III, 40D, 5D

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,824 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Oct 20, 2018 04:28 |  #23

D60 shot of Carlos Santana circa 2003 with what is probably the worst zoom Canon has ever produced (75-300mm ultrasonic)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

D60 won't take efs lenses though.. (niether will D30)

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,824 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Oct 20, 2018 04:32 |  #24

I did get this published the same year (2003)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,583 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 5 months ago by TeamSpeed. (5 edits in all)

Oct 20, 2018 04:47 |  #25

Yes old cameras were great at producing small photo sizes like 8x10 or less (which is good for publications and web sharing). However stress those cameras enough and they fall apart.

I would never buy an old 10 year old body. The current stuff is so much more capable, even small cameras like the M5/M50. I don't want to go back to poor high ISO, poor menu structure, terrible JPG engines, poor metering, slow interfaces, old slow, and low capacity memory cards, and hardly any of the features that today make shooting more enjoyable.

The most notable cameras in my past were the G2, 30D/40D, 1D4, 5D. However the 5D4 does everything those could do and better. So why would I go back to an old body when a newer one could do the work and deliver the goods of several cameras in the past? I can guarantee you there isn't an old Canon camera that can produce an image that newer Canon gear cannot produce. Not even the venerable 5D... The only advantage of the old gear was the lack of an AA filter. It wasn't ISO performance, color rendering, WB, etc, but we have gear today that now harken back to the age of no or low AA filtering.

The only reason people go back to things is nostalgia and nothing much more than that. This is why there is a revival of the old console games. Give it another 5-10 years, and that will all go away. Ditto with items like camera gear, etc. This is also why so many go back to film cameras, they want those memories to become real again. So if you want to buy old gear, do it for the memories, not because they produce superior results to today's gear.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Spencerphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
374 posts
Joined Sep 2018
Post edited 5 months ago by Spencerphoto.

Oct 20, 2018 15:50 |  #26

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18732685 (external link)
Yes old cameras were great at producing small photo sizes like 8x10 or less (which is good for publications and web sharing). However stress those cameras enough and they fall apart.

I would never buy an old 10 year old body. The current stuff is so much more capable, even small cameras like the M5/M50. I don't want to go back to poor high ISO, poor menu structure, terrible JPG engines, poor metering, slow interfaces, old slow, and low capacity memory cards, and hardly any of the features that today make shooting more enjoyable.

The most notable cameras in my past were the G2, 30D/40D, 1D4, 5D. However the 5D4 does everything those could do and better. So why would I go back to an old body when a newer one could do the work and deliver the goods of several cameras in the past? I can guarantee you there isn't an old Canon camera that can produce an image that newer Canon gear cannot produce. Not even the venerable 5D... The only advantage of the old gear was the lack of an AA filter. It wasn't ISO performance, color rendering, WB, etc, but we have gear today that now harken back to the age of no or low AA filtering.

The only reason people go back to things is nostalgia and nothing much more than that. This is why there is a revival of the old console games. Give it another 5-10 years, and that will all go away. Ditto with items like camera gear, etc. This is also why so many go back to film cameras, they want those memories to become real again. So if you want to buy old gear, do it for the memories, not because they produce superior results to today's gear.

I think you misunderstood my quest. I don't plan to replace my current bodies with old versions. I simply fancy buying an early Canon body to add to my kit, mostly because I want to preserve a piece of future history but I am also motivated by wondering if any of those early DSLRs produced images that had specific qualities. Let's face it, plenty of people still appreciate the old 'film look' and Lomo still has its fans.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,617 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 5 months ago by John from PA. (2 edits in all)

Oct 20, 2018 16:16 |  #27

Spencerphoto wrote in post #18732617 (external link)
I would love to find a working D30 in good condition. No luck so far though. Maybe they sell for silly money?

They are out there...see https://www.ebay.com …UMAAOSwhmtbNW8U​:rk:7:pf:0 (external link) (wuth extras) or

https://www.ebay.com …SEAAOSwn1Fbr8a8​:rk:5:pf:0 (external link) (body only)

mcoren
624 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015
Post edited 5 months ago by mcoren. (2 edits in all)

Oct 22, 2018 10:43 |  #28

Spencerphoto wrote in post #18732993 (external link)
I think you misunderstood my quest. I don't plan to replace my current bodies with old versions. I simply fancy buying an early Canon body to add to my kit, mostly because I want to preserve a piece of future history but I am also motivated by wondering if any of those early DSLRs produced images that had specific qualities. Let's face it, plenty of people still appreciate the old 'film look' and Lomo still has its fans.

For me, it was nostalgia for a specific model and a particular time in my life. In 1992, I was living in Edinburgh, Scotland, and my 11-year-old AV-1 died. I bought an EOS 100 (the original Elan in the US) at a camera store there. That was my first AF SLR, and I had a lot of fun and learned a lot with it. It had one AF point and nine custom functions. I got rid of it during a brutal cleaning-out period 9 or 10 years ago (probably when my wife and I separated).

About three years ago, I bought one for $15 for off eBay for nostalgia purposes. It had to be a 100, not an Elan! I take it outside maybe once a year and put 1-2 rolls of film through it. That satisfies my nostalgia and reminds me what a pain in the a** film is compared to digital!

As to the original question at the top of this thread, my first DSLR was an EOS 20D (2004), which was a great camera in its day but I wouldn't recommend it now for any reason. There are just so many better used cameras out there. Canon DSLRs are working tools. None of them, even the pro models, are going to appreciate in value or become "historical". You need to get something like a Leica for that. If there was an old camera that you used which has special meaning to you--like the EOS 100 for me in my story above--then get one of those. Otherwise, you're just acting on other peoples' nostalgia for something that you didn't personally experience and never can.

My advice, then, is to buy a new DSLR with features you like and can use today, and use it. Take trips with it, learn some new skills with it, make lots of memories with it, explore new creative avenues with it, and just generally put some serious clicks on the shutter count. Then in 10 years, it will be your own "old" Canon DSLR that will have memories and meaning to you.

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

bergmen
28 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2018

Oct 23, 2018 18:11 |  #29

John from PA wrote in post #18732377 (external link)
Here's your timeline...

https://en.wikipedia.o​rg …Canon_EOS_digit​al_cameras (external link)

Float your cursor over any give model and see a short summary.

This is an excellent link, thanks for posting this! I am still learning all of the various Canon models and this link really puts it all in perspective.

Dan

Canon 80D and XSi Bodies | EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM | EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,821 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited 4 months ago by mwsilver.

Oct 23, 2018 23:05 |  #30

Spencerphoto wrote in post #18731861 (external link)
I was thinking. The trend for more and more megapixies has obvious benefits, but also potential downsides. Also, sensors affect the image in lots of ways, not just resolution, as does the electrickery inside the camera body. I rather fancy adding an old body like that to my kit, if such a thing exists.

So, I was wondering if there is an 'old' Canon DSLR that possesses particular qualities other than resolution, frame rate, etc when we look at the images it produces. Looking at some pics recently posted that were taken with a 40D (admittedly not really THAT old) and I was taken aback by the image quality. OK, a computer screen isn't the hardest test, but nevertheless, I was impressed.

So, if you were going to buy a Canon DSLR that is 10 or more years old, what would it be and why? I'll admit off the bat that I'm hoping there will be suggestions OTHER than the most expensive pro bodies of their era, just because I'm contrary.

If you really liked images taken with a 40D it is more likely due to the skills of the person who took them and the quality of any post processing that was performed. Its unlikely there is any intrinsic quality in that camera itself that made the images look better to you than more modern designs. The 40D sensor has much lower resolution and is a much poorer low light performer, with much more noise at even moderate ISO settings, then any modern design DSLR. I think your romantic notion about some subjective superiority of designs like the 40D won't pan out in the real world. That said, if you want an older budget camera to learn with the Canon 40D might meet your requirements. I'm not referring to a pro level camera like the 1D Mark IV which is still a great camera, albeit long in the tooth compared to the 1Dx II.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

sponsored links

3,185 views & 31 likes for this thread
Want to buy an early Canon DSLR - but which one?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.