Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 16:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First DSLR – Need Help on First Additional Lens Choice

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,919 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 21, 2018 21:44 |  #16

is there a kit that sells the 18-135 with that camera? if so that could give you a bit of telephoto...for right now, i'd just use the kit lens, and after a month or so, you'll be able to see if you want more reach, or if a faster lens is more what you are looking for

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
mdvaden
Goldmember
2,661 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 24, 2018 00:01 |  #17

john crossley wrote in post #18730996 (external link)
The first thing you need to do is learn how to use the camera before you start buying additional lenses.

And based off my beginning, I would say having a better or different lens than the kit maybe the best way to begin.

If I could go back in time, I would never have bought the kit, unless the kit lens were tossed in no extra charge. I would get the body alone, then add one or two lenses, and go from there.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,661 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 24, 2018 00:13 |  #18

mdvaden wrote in post #18735356 (external link)
And based off my beginning, I would say having a better or different lens than the kit maybe the best way to begin.

If I could go back in time, I would never have bought the kit, unless the kit lens were tossed in no extra charge. I would get the body alone, then add one or two lenses, and go from there.

After dumping my kit lenses, one being the 70-300mm, the first ones I got were 24-105mm and 50mm. Had a lot of fun with those two lenses. I rarely shoot distant, and for animals, I often find that even 300mm seems wanting sometime. So I went to scenery and people, where 200mm can be handy, but 105mm or shorter is very practical.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

soeren
Whoops Im not updated
456 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Post edited 1 month ago by soeren. (2 edits in all)

Oct 24, 2018 00:38 |  #19

Id wait buying a second lens for a while. Being a beginner you havnt even scratched the surface of photography and have no idea what really rocks yoru boat. Could be wild life, macro, ultra wide angle, street, portraits, landscapes or whatever. Whats suitable will depend and while a tele zoom may come in handy so will a wide, a macro lens or a short tele prime for portraits etc. Waiting will give you time to learn, gain knowledge of your needs and the pros and cons of the offerings and time to save up for good quality gear instead of wasting money for stuff youll thing you need/want but dont

If history has proven anything. it's that evolution always wins!!

soeren
Whoops Im not updated
456 posts
Joined Nov 2017

Oct 24, 2018 00:44 |  #20

mdvaden wrote in post #18735356 (external link)

But that knowledge is gained using the kit lens. Would you have chosen right at the beginning without that knowledge? The kit lenses may not be the most stellar lenses offered but most will do a good job used right e.g by stopping down a bit. You wont learn anything just by having all the tools in the box and they may just distract you from the important part.

soeren
Whoops Im not updated
456 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Post edited 1 month ago by soeren. (3 edits in all)

Oct 24, 2018 00:51 |  #21

mdvaden wrote in post #18735357 (external link)
After dumping my kit lenses, one being the 70-300mm, the first ones I got were 24-105mm and 50mm. Had a lot of fun with those two lenses. I rarely shoot distant, and for animals, I often find that even 300mm seems wanting sometime. So I went to scenery and people, where 200mm can be handy, but 105mm or shorter is very practical.

And here is an example of different needs and different thinking. Id never go with a zoom starting at 24mm on apsc, its simply not wide enough for me to be a generel purpose lens. So while it may be an optically better lens it may as well be the wrong choice and a more expensive wrong choice.

elitejp
Goldmember
1,662 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 24, 2018 01:58 |  #22

Grab the 55-250. But buy it used. It will cover a good focal range that will help you decide on what you need later, if anything. If you want to move on you can sell it without a loss

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,592 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 1 month ago by davesrose. (2 edits in all)

Oct 24, 2018 08:44 |  #23

Funny, the first SLR I used was the Canon AE-1. Back then, your kit lens was 50mm. The 24-105 is considered a L kit lens (it's the kit lens for FF Canon cameras). While comparing lenses side by side, you might pick out differences in sharpness, CA handling, contrast and color rendition. But by itself a Rebel's kit lens isn't bad: it's actually a good value. It's not a crutch for learning photography, and less of a wasted expense if you decide not to pursue photography. I once picked up a Rebel with kit lens when my 5D broke down on a trip. I've printed images 19x13, and even though it was an XTi and 18-55 (II)...there's still plenty of detail.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,880 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 24, 2018 10:18 |  #24

Theolodin wrote in post #18730991 (external link)
Hello All

I have always wanted to get into photography and soon I will be purchasing my first DSLR.

I need help on choosing my second lens to go with the kit lens that already comes with the camera

For an EF-S body, Canon's 18-200mm stabilized unit is a good choice. It can be used to get experience at all ends of the focal length range.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,791 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited 1 month ago by mwsilver. (5 edits in all)

Oct 24, 2018 12:42 |  #25

DC Fan wrote in post #18735577 (external link)
For an EF-S body, Canon's 18-200mm stabilized unit is a good choice. It can be used to get experience at all ends of the focal length range.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by DC Fan in
./showthread.php?p=187​35577&i=i122600714
forum: Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by DC Fan in
./showthread.php?p=187​35577&i=i75067775

I have to disagree a bit. The main issue with the Canon 18 -200 mm other than the unusual and hard to fix barrel distortion at the wide end, the slow and noisy micro motor, and the lack of full time manual focus, is that testing has shown that it's resolving ability does not allow it to take full advantage of newer higher resolution sensors.

Like other superzoom lenses, it also has sharpness issues although the contrast is pretty decent. But it is still kind of expensive and very long in the tooth compared to its competition and is way overdue for a refresh. I'm surprised Canon has not addressed it yet. Canon's other lower end lenses including the 18-55mm, 55-250mm and 18-135mm and 50mm f/1.8 are all in their third iteration, yet Canon has not even suggested an update for the origiinal 18-200 mm.

The one I have is used primarily by my wife who likes it for it's convenience, but understands its limitations. It is a decent enough match for the sensor of her also aging Rebel T2i. However, If I were looking for a superzoom in it's focal range today it's highly unlikely I would purchase the Canon 18-200 again. While it's certainly not a terrible lens, one can do better.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

guyzer09
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 06, 2018 15:15 |  #26

10/18 stm,18/55, 24 stm, 55/250. Great cheap start with those tools you will figure out what and how you like to shoot. It’ll take a while before you find yourself limited by these lenses and when you do that’s when it’s time to upgrade.

5D | Rebel XTI
24-85 f/3.5-4.5 | Rokker 58 f/1.2 | Vivitar 135 f/2.8
Capturing life's moments one one click at a time..
Full GEAR List

artyH
Goldmember
2,093 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 08, 2018 09:45 |  #27

A fast prime, like the 35F2IS or a 50F1.8 STM would help with low light shooting and candids. I like the 35F2, but the price is high given your comments. The newer 50F1.8 STM is a good lens, and very sharp. Contrast is better than I see from the 50F1.4. It will make for a good fast prime for low light, but you will need higher shutter speeds than are needed with a 35 on crop. I recommend getting a fast prime like the 50 F1.8 STM.

I like the 50 STM better than the 50 F1.4, even though it is most useful at F2. I find the F1.4 lens works at F1.8 or F1.6 pretty well, but I like the images better on the F1.8 STM model. They look a lot like the sorts of results I can get from my 35F2 IS. The 50F1.8 STM is not a toy.

A smarter move is to wait and use the 18-55 IS for some time before adding a lens, but I highly recommend a 35. The new Canon 35F2.8 macro lens is very sharp. F2.8 is slower than F2 or F1.8, but it will also do macro. It will be a versatile prime.

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,498 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 09, 2018 07:26 |  #28

mwsilver wrote in post #18735646 (external link)
I have to disagree a bit. The main issue with the Canon 18 -200 mm other than the unusual and hard to fix barrel distortion at the wide end, the slow and noisy micro motor, and the lack of full time manual focus, is that testing has shown that it's resolving ability does not allow it to take full advantage of newer higher resolution sensors.

Like other superzoom lenses, it also has sharpness issues although the contrast is pretty decent. But it is still kind of expensive and very long in the tooth compared to its competition and is way overdue for a refresh. I'm surprised Canon has not addressed it yet. Canon's other lower end lenses including the 18-55mm, 55-250mm and 18-135mm and 50mm f/1.8 are all in their third iteration, yet Canon has not even suggested an update for the origiinal 18-200 mm.

The one I have is used primarily by my wife who likes it for it's convenience, but understands its limitations. It is a decent enough match for the sensor of her also aging Rebel T2i. However, If I were looking for a superzoom in it's focal range today it's highly unlikely I would purchase the Canon 18-200 again. While it's certainly not a terrible lens, one can do better.

Is this the hard to fix barrel distortion you are talking about? One click on this snapshot which I didn't even try to shoot square with the lens. I didn't try to fix the CA for this photo, but rest assured, if I see it I fix it (one click).

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

I have done extensive testing of all my lenses for sharpness, contrast, distortion. Although it is not as sharp as the EF24-70L MkII or the EF70-200LMkII it is a reasonably good lens. Maybe I got a really good copy.

On a three week trip through Europe, which combo to you think I pack in my backpack?

a) 5DIII + EF24-70L II + EF 70-200 L II + 4lbs laptop

b) 60D + EFS 18-200 + 4lbs laptop

The second is my travel combo and frankly, even if it gets stolen in some obscure hotel, it won't hurt much... Otherwise, I need a Sherpa...

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,791 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 09, 2018 10:18 |  #29

MakisM1 wrote in post #18747164 (external link)
Is this the hard to fix barrel distortion you are talking about? One click on this snapshot which I didn't even try to shoot square with the lens. I didn't try to fix the CA for this photo, but rest assured, if I see it I fix it (one click).

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by MakisM1 in
./showthread.php?p=187​47164&i=i95450574

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by MakisM1 in
./showthread.php?p=187​47164&i=i222258812

I have done extensive testing of all my lenses for sharpness, contrast, distortion. Although it is not as sharp as the EF24-70L MkII or the EF70-200LMkII it is a reasonably good lens. Maybe I got a really good copy.

On a three week trip through Europe, which combo to you think I pack in my backpack?

a) 5DIII + EF24-70L II + EF 70-200 L II + 4lbs laptop

b) 60D + EFS 18-200 + 4lbs laptop

The second is my travel combo and frankly, even if it gets stolen in some obscure hotel, it won't hurt much... Otherwise, I need a Sherpa...

Try using the lens for architecture with straight verticals on the left and right edges of the field of view. In that situation it is difficult to get true straight verticals in post. Many people may not notice the difference or care, but the excessive wide end barrel distortion of this lens is not as easily fixable at with other lenses.

The 18-200 is acceptably sharp for many people and in many non critical situations, but it is not a particularly good older lens and is no longer very competitive. My wife uses mine and has no complaints but due to it's various limitations I no longer use it. I'm glad you're satified using yours. In the end, good composition skills and a mediocre lens will beat out bad composition and a top of the line lens every time. But given a choice I'd rather start out with a lens with fewer compromises.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

sponsored links

4,437 views & 6 likes for this thread
First DSLR – Need Help on First Additional Lens Choice
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.