Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 22 Oct 2018 (Monday) 22:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lenovo, Dell or HP

EricJrSax
203 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 22, 2018 22:56 |  #1

Hey everyone! Looking to replace my dying 5 year old Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. Keyboard and port issues, beginning to hear loud weird whirling sounds, and some unexpected shutdowns. Anyway, looking for some suggestions,... what are you guys using? Loved the feature in the Yoga 2 Pro, would love to stay with Lenovo, but I hear the Dell XPS 15 and HP Spectre models are good for photo editing. Loved the high res 3200x1800 screen on my Yoga 2 Pro,... don't think I'll be landing on any FHD displays. Will Will definitely be looking into something UHD,... 2K or UHD 4K options. While my Yoga 2 Pro was packing an i7 processor, Photoshop and Lightroom would occasionally choke it, but that was a Gen 4 i7-4510U processor. I hear today's Gen 8 i5 processors are twice as powerful as the old Gen 4 i7 processors, so I'm not sure if I'll need to lock myself into a the Gen 8 i7 machine. True or false? I'm thinking a 512 Gig SSD will be fine,... the Yoga 2 Pro had a 256 and I filled that thing up fast,... sometimes way too fast. Ok, so I'm thinking Dell or HP if I don't do Lenovo. Looking for more real estate,... something between 14" and 15.6". I have a $2,000 budget, give or take, and want to pound the 'Check Out' button in the next couple days.

sponsored links
Lenty007
220 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2006

Oct 24, 2018 04:13 |  #2

Hey Eric, with a $2000 budget burning a hole in your pocket you can come up with a hell of a laptop!
It just happened that last month I invested in a Lenovo 520-15IKB 15,6 / I7-8550u / 12 / 1T + 128SSD / NV MX150 4G, half the price.
Hooked it up on a 4K screen without breaking a sweat.
Does the job very swift and smooth so for the moment I'm a happy puppy!
just my 5 cents ;-)a

Greetings from Ghent, Belgium

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,559 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 24, 2018 05:49 |  #3

I'm very partial to Dell; just got a Win10 15" back in September. I suggest you look at their outlet store at https://www.dell.com …n&s=dfh&~ck=mn&​redirect=1 (external link). Check off new condition if that is what you want although I don't find fault with their refurbished. I bought one about 5 years ago and it was essentially new.

If you really want to part with $2K, look at the XPS line but a high end Inspiron is 1/2 the price.

keeperseeker
Cream of the Crop
8,342 posts
Gallery: 144 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 24, 2018 09:27 |  #4

the prices of 1T ssd 's have come down,,,if that is possible go with the 1T over 500GB
just got new computer,,,and my 500GB is already looking short sighted.

People who need help sometimes look a lot like people who don't need help.

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 24, 2018 18:05 |  #5

I have an older mobile Dell workstation and a fairly new Lenovo Yoga 720 (maxed out, and got as a white box from Bestbuy for under $1300). They're both good at PS and Lightroom. You can't go wrong with either Lenovo, HP, or Dell. As for your current laptop making whirling noises and shutting down....sounds like its overheating and shutting down because it's detecting the CPU is getting to hot. If you're into DIY, you can look at vids for your model on how to take off the bottom panel. You can then clean it (as it may be dusty). Or there can be a fan that's getting faulty.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

EricJrSax
THREAD ­ STARTER
203 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Post edited 3 months ago by EricJrSax.

Oct 27, 2018 14:52 as a reply to  @ davesrose's post |  #6

Hey Lenty, yeah, a pretty nice laptop budget and I wanna get as much mileage out of it as I can. A combo of savings, parental matching funds and a small line of credit on my student Visa Card. LOL! Anyway, below are the two quotes I got from Lenovo. Spent an hour or so looking at the new Asus Zenbook Pro 15 at my local Best Buy yesterday. Spec'd the same as the Lenovo X1 Extreme, that touch pad screen is interesting, not sure how I'd use it tho. Like Lenovo partnered with Dolby to enhance color gamut coverage and accuracy, looks like Asus is partnering with Pantone to do pretty much the same thing,... interesting. According to reviews looks like the X1 Extreme's has the brighter screen at 400 nits with the new Zenbook Pro at 300 nits,... not sure how much of a difference that will make. I'm really stuck here, but I got about two hours to make my mind up. These quotes from Lenovo expire in about 2 hours. Best Buy will be open for a while to come,... so no rush there. Anybody using any Zenbooks to edit their photos or videos?

I do wanna say that I'm ok with dumping this much into this laptop because I'm wanting it to last throughout college and then some with at least some future proofing. Getting a discrete graphics card is important because I will be shortly getting into videography and I've learned that that's important. I gotta say, I'm leaning towards Lenovo's 2nd quote,... i7-8750H vs i7-8850H. Don't think that'll matter for what I'm doing. That saving will pay for another year of Adobe CC subscription at least.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Lenty007
220 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2006
Post edited 3 months ago by Lenty007.

Oct 28, 2018 02:36 |  #7

You sure did your homework!
With a $118 difference between the two the first proposition is the better choise!
When considering movie making you may well benefit from a greater memory (16Gb vs 12Gb) and a bigger SSD (500 vs 128).

In my case I'm glad with the 128Gb SSD for startup and programs with the 1Tb for storage (pics).
As for the touchpad I hate using that so I always use an external mouse.

Good luck with the choises you make!

Best greetings

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 28, 2018 03:26 |  #8

EricJrSax wrote in post #18737863 (external link)
I'm wanting it to last throughout college and then some with at least some future proofing.

For many years, this was my main attitude for buying a Laptop as well. However, experience showed that future proofing works well for desktops but not for laptops. Assuming that you are actually buying a laptop, because you need the portability. The last few laptops of mine were not replaced because of missing specs, but failed beyond reasonable repair (which does not take a lot). I have one single machine that I use professionally and gets carried everywhere. Failures include physically broken motherboard (mechanical stress), some random shutdown that nobody could find a reason for and battery ballooning that damaged the screen. For laptops I expect a 2 - 3 year lifespan - and correspondingly I choose the specs for my expected use during this time. Again: This is for heavy mobile usage.

Donate if you love POTN

EricJrSax
THREAD ­ STARTER
203 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 29, 2018 10:14 as a reply to  @ drmaxx's post |  #9

Went with the Lenovo $1882.25 quote. In doing so, I gave up the i7-8850H vPro processor for the i7-8750H processor, and stepped down from Windows 10 Pro to Windows 10 Home. Because of the new Lenovo free upgrade promo, I was able to keep the 512GB SSD drive which was good. I'm thinking I won't even notice a difference between the processors or Home vs Pro,... true? Would have noticed 512GB vs 256GB tho, but the free drive upgrade promo took care of that. I know, for $118 why don't I just go ahead and take advantage of the Full Monty $2000 quote, but after buying this laptop, I'm now scraping dimes to feed it software. The savings will take care of another year of my Lightroom and Photoshop student subscription. Plus, I almost totally forgot about my music computing needs and it's time to upgrade the archaic composition and midi software I've been using the last couple years. I'm thinking I can switch my Office student license over with no problems,... so no need to throw dimes at that.

I went back to Best Buy and kicked the tires on that Asus Zenbook Pro,... glad I decided to go with Lenovo. That touch pad screen was seductive, I gotta admit. Also looked at the much cheaper HP Spectre X360,... nah! I did notice that only the Lenovo had a full size SD card slot,... very important for photographers. I'm happy,... I think! Thanks for all the advice guys. Wish me luck with this thing!

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,559 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 3 months ago by John from PA.

Oct 29, 2018 10:22 |  #10

EricJrSax wrote in post #18739190 (external link)
Went with the Lenovo $1882.25 quote. In doing so, I gave up the i7-8850H vPro processor for the i7-8750H processor, and stepped down from Windows 10 Pro to Windows 10 Home. Because of the new Lenovo free upgrade promo, I was able to keep the 512GB SSD drive which was good. I'm thinking I won't even notice a difference between the processors or Home vs Pro,... true? Would have noticed 512GB vs 256GB tho, but the free drive upgrade promo took care of that. I know, for $118 why don't I just go ahead and take advantage of the Full Monty $2000 quote, but after buying this laptop, I'm now scraping dimes to feed it software. The savings will take care of another year of my Lightroom and Photoshop student subscription. Plus, I almost totally forgot about my music computing needs and it's time to upgrade the archaic composition and midi software I've been using the last couple years. I'm thinking I can switch my Office student license over with no problems,... so no need to throw dimes at that.

I went back to Best Buy and kicked the tires on that Asus Zenbook Pro,... glad I decided to go with Lenovo. That touch pad screen was seductive, I gotta admit. Also looked at the much cheaper HP Spectre X360,... nah! I did notice that only the Lenovo had a full size SD card slot,... very important for photographers. I'm happy,... I think! Thanks for all the advice guys. Wish me luck with this thing!

The one thing about Windows 10 Home is that Microsoft can push down updates and as a user you have minimal control over stopping the action. Many people got burned on this latest go around with the October update. There are ways to restrict the updates so seek them out. See the thread at https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18723465

EricJrSax
THREAD ­ STARTER
203 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 09, 2018 20:21 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #11

Well, the ThinkPad X1 Extreme arrived today. Tracking originally had it arriving Tuesday the 13th, but it arrived today. Tracked this sucka all the way from China,... big props to UPS. Whoa,... now that's out of form! Tuesday changed to Monday once it hit the States (Alaska), and Monday turned into Friday once the package crossed the Mississippi (Kentucky). I gotta say, looks pretty good. This thing is a beast. It'll take me the evening to load up my programs and explore a little. Only complaint so far,... the type is so small. And why in the world did they switch the 'Ctrl' and 'Fn' keys? They're in the right place on the Yoga 2 Pro,... will take some getting used to. The screen looks great, but not as good as I thought it would be. Very fast.

Tomorrow I'll do some post on some of my latest images and see how it handles LR and PS. Thanks for all the advice.

Nogo
World Record Holding Most Boring Commenter
7,404 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Nov 09, 2018 22:14 |  #12

With a UHD screen most users must increase the font size. To do so, just right click somewhere in the middle of the desktop screen. Click on display and on that screen change the size of the font to something you can easily read. On my 4k TV I set it to 225%, but being younger, you may not need it that large.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 10, 2018 09:16 |  #13

Scaling also depends on your distance to screen and size of screen. I have my Lenovo set to 200%, mainly because I tend to have my laptop on my lap. With UHD on a laptop, you should also be aware of "highDPI". Now there are many programs that support scaling their font and icons to the Windows desktop, but some older programs that haven't had support have not scaled as well (especially with Windows 7). I've found the new scaling options in Windows 10 does a pretty good job of scaling the few programs I have that don't support "highDPI". To adjust that, right click on the program, goto properties, and under "compatibility" you'll see "Change high DPI settings". I'll click on Override high DPI scaling, and select System(Enhanced).

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

GoHokiesGo
782 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 10, 2018 23:35 |  #14

Glad to see this thread, as I'm in nearly the same decision point also. I have an original Lenovo yoga 1st gen that's overdue for replacement. Trying to find a photography screen friendly laptop, 4k and high color rendition, at the same $2k budget. I've been watching the XPS 15, but also the X1 extreme and ThinkPad P1 to keep with Lenovo.

I'll be interested in hearing how you like editing with the new machine. I'll likely jump on whichever I can get the best deal on for black Friday, but they're all great options it seems.

~Jason
Canon 6D -¤- Canon 60D
Canon16-35/4LIS -¤- Canon 24-105/4LIS -¤- Canon 135/2L -¤- Canon 70-200/4L
Canon 50/1.8 STM -¤- Sigma 30/1.4 EX -¤- Samyang 14/2.8
Travel Website - Jason Peacott Photography (external link)

EricJrSax
THREAD ­ STARTER
203 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 11, 2018 14:42 |  #15

GoHokiesGo wrote in post #18748507 (external link)
Glad to see this thread, as I'm in nearly the same decision point also. I have an original Lenovo yoga 1st gen that's overdue for replacement. Trying to find a photography screen friendly laptop, 4k and high color rendition, at the same $2k budget. I've been watching the XPS 15, but also the X1 extreme and ThinkPad P1 to keep with Lenovo.

I'll be interested in hearing how you like editing with the new machine. I'll likely jump on whichever I can get the best deal on for black Friday, but they're all great options it seems.

This thing makes working in LR a pleasure. Also updated my Adobe stuff with a fresh purchase using my student discount,... surprised at how much things have changed. Not afraid to lean on Photoshop anymore, as it would choke the Yoga 2 Pro more times than I could deal with. LR Classic is so much better than LR 6. Lightroom CC ain't bad either, never used that before. I see where it can be useful to me, but it's not a LR Classic replacement. That said, I'm sure some of this speed and smoothness I'm seeing might be due to Adobe's latest software upgrades in addition to the power of the X1e. For me, the 4K screen is taking some getting used to. Tried the suggestion above to re-size the fonts, but it wouldn't let me permanently apply the changes,... I'm prolly missing something.

I agree with you, both the X1e and the XPS 15 are both are great for photo editing. I also gave the Asus Zenbook Pro UX580 a little research,... not a bad machine. In fact, many of the reviews say the color accuracy of the Zenbook is even better than both the XPS 15 and X1e, with Asus partnering up with Pantone. All three of them claim 100% Gamut coverage,... according to most of the reviews. Pantone is a screen calibration effort, unlike Dolby Vision HDR which I'm now learning has nothing whatsoever to do with screen accuracy. Just Dolby licensed content. Wish I would have done more research on that before buying,... silly me! Prolly still would have gone with the X1e. Good luck GHG!

sponsored links

1,641 views & 7 likes for this thread
Lenovo, Dell or HP
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.