Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Sep 2018 (Wednesday) 02:31
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How's the new EOS-R stack up for you?"
It's Amazing!
26.5%
It's kind of a let down
33.8%
It's trash
8.5%
It's good for the price
23.5%
It helped me pick a new body
7.7%

189 voters, 260 votes given (3 choices choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?

this thread is locked
mdvaden
Goldmember
2,828 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 24, 2018 20:46 |  #2056

samueli wrote in post #18735617 (external link)
So what would be a fair asking price for a week old R with maybe 200 clicks, and the basic adapter? Similar to my purchasing skills, my selling skills aren't that great either.

Thinking of selling yours already?

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

sponsored links
Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,465 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 24, 2018 22:23 |  #2057

Full tutorial from Michael the maven.

Props to the guy, must have been a ton of work.

Sony A7rii/A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,828 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by mdvaden.

Oct 24, 2018 22:56 |  #2058

I'm not at all a birder or wildlife photographer. But I found this man's presentation interesting to listen to. He shows the other side of the coin on a couple things.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

nardes
Goldmember
1,495 posts
Gallery: 270 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 24, 2018 23:36 |  #2059

Picked mine up this morning and grabbed these shots in the city centre parklands on my way to the bus station.

Taken with the RF 24-105mm F4L.

Cheers

Dennis

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

WilsonFlyer
564 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by WilsonFlyer.

Oct 25, 2018 07:15 |  #2060

I find Max to be a pretty stand-up guy that shoots it straight. This video is disturbing. The Canon R video really looks bad in this video. Any comments? I really want an R, but if I can't even shoot quality video in the modes it does support, it's useless to me.

samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by samueli. (2 edits in all)

Oct 25, 2018 07:19 |  #2061

mdvaden wrote in post #18735887 (external link)
Thinking of selling yours already?

I am. While it maybe lighter than the 5D series, it's a lot harder to use one handed. It's not the majority of my photography, but with children or dogs I often run with camera in one hand, remote triggered flash in the other. That's a no-go with the R if I want to adjust focus point. Any hope of focus point selection being updated by firmware seems hopeless based on what I hear the M50 doesn't get (not that the DPAD is any more usable one-handed). Plus, it sounds like remote flash may be a whole problem on it's own. I'll probably do a strobe session before I let it go.

samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by samueli. (15 edits in all)

Oct 25, 2018 07:52 as a reply to  @ WilsonFlyer's post |  #2062

I only read the comments as I can't watch the video at work, but it's clear that Canon hates it's customers and want's them to be the laughing stock of the creative world. So yes, I want to get rid of my R. I wish there was a middle finger smiley. Or maybe I should do a video cover of a certain Lilley Allen song that depicts me destroying my R, but loving upon a different camera brand - so long as I get enough youtube hits to pay for all the carnage.

I know a lot of you antagonists out there love to point the finger and feel superior because you own Sony. But I like Canon. Canon has been a great camera for me for 12 years now. I really, really wanted Canon to put out a good mirrorless offering. I really don't want to buy a Sony. Just like I wouldn't want to buy a Ford even if they make a better spec'd vehicle. Neither are bad, just not me. I guess I'm a fanboy.

But in the end, Sony owners are at the top. So go ahead smile in satisfaction, knowing that you are far superior in every way because you knew well in advance that Sony is the best camera brand overall for useful and mature features, and the work that you produce far outshines anything a Canon owner could even dream of. I'll go hang myself now in shame after I sell all my equipment, because I have no business being a photographer since I didn't buy a Sony. Similarly, I could drive down the expressway throwing $20 bills out the window. It's equally as effective as buying the R. I can use and would appreciate a good photo and video tool. Buying the R gets me neither. Where's that middle finger icon again??

I really need to avoid reading Youtube comments...

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 25, 2018 08:40 |  #2063

samueli wrote in post #18736101 (external link)
I only read the comments as I can't watch the video at work, but it's clear that Canon hates it's customers and want's them to be the laughing stock of the creative world. ...

..So go ahead smile in satisfaction, knowing that you are far superior in every way because you knew well in advance that Sony was the best camera brand overall, and the work that you produce far outshines anything a Canon owner could even dream of.

Yeah, those Canon Explorers of Light and Peter Hurley, Scott Kelby, etc...their work is considered terrible:rolleyes:

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

bildeb0rg
Goldmember
2,725 posts
Gallery: 200 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 25, 2018 08:48 |  #2064

I only read the comments as I can't watch the video at work, but it's clear that Canon hates it's customers and want's them to be the laughing stock of the creative world. So yes, I want to get rid of my R. I wish there was a middle finger smiley. Or maybe I should do a video cover of a certain Lilley Allen song that depicts me destroying my R, but loving upon a different camera brand - so long as I get enough youtube hits to pay for all the carnage.

I know a lot of you antagonists out there love to point the finger and feel superior because you own Sony. But I like Canon. Canon has been a great camera for me for 12 years now. I really, really wanted Canon to put out a good mirrorless offering. I really don't want to buy a Sony. Just like I wouldn't want to buy a Ford even if they make a better spec'd vehicle. Neither are bad, just not me. I guess I'm a fanboy.

But in the end, Sony owners are at the top. So go ahead smile in satisfaction, knowing that you are far superior in every way because you knew well in advance that Sony was the best camera brand overall, and the work that you produce far outshines anything a Canon owner could even dream of. I'll go hang myself now in shame after I sell all my equipment, because I have no business being a photographer if I didn't buy a Sony. Or I could just drive down the expressway throwing $20 bills out the window. It's equally as effective as buying the R. I can use and appreciate a good photo and video tool. Buying the R gets you neither. Where's that middle finger icon again??

I really need to avoid reading Youtube comments...

You're a glass half empty guy, aren't you ;-)a

samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by samueli. (3 edits in all)

Oct 25, 2018 08:50 |  #2065

bildeb0rg wrote in post #18736135 (external link)
You're a glass half empty guy, aren't you ;-)a

How'd you guess?

I'm actually more of a glass completely empty shattered on the floor with a shard of glass in my foot and bleeding all over.

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,458 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by umphotography.

Oct 25, 2018 10:38 |  #2066

davesrose wrote in post #18736127 (external link)
Yeah, those Canon Explorers of Light and Peter Hurley, Scott Kelby, etc...their work is considered terrible:rolleyes:

No most of their work is captured for newer photography consumers to see so they can promote their teaching business models. Lets not kid anyone here about many of these people. If I could be a fly on the wall and see their accounting books, I would be willing to bet big $$$ that the majority of their incomes comes from peddling the teaching models to new photographers v/s Income from actually doing commercial paid portrait and photography gigs. I personally Know too many that have played the game and are no longer in business. There are probably just as many teaching now as there are new photographers to meet demands.

While Peter and Scott are excellent instructors and they know what they are doing, I would venture to say, IF you could see the books....the majority of the $$$ they make does not come from paid gigs like the rest of us.

Keep that in mind when you start dropping dimes and big names

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 25, 2018 10:47 |  #2067

umphotography wrote in post #18736198 (external link)
While Peter and Scott are excellent instructors and they know what they are doing, I would venture to say, IF you could see the books....the majority of the $$$ they make does not come from paid gigs like the rest of us.

Keep that in mind when you start dropping dimes and big names

My point was that there are respected professionals making photographs that can outshine another photographer using some other brand. How much money Peter or Scott make from their current photos is irrelevant. The fact is they still use Canon gear to make the photos that everyone praises. A camera is a tool: the person behind the camera is what makes a great photo.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,828 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 25, 2018 10:49 |  #2068

If Canon were in Sony's shoes with next to nothing for legacy bodies and glass, Canon could have outperformed Sony's recent technological progress and products. Sony was never in Canon's shoes so it was much easier for Sony to take Sony's path. Canon can't take the same road because from their end, they have to think about a complete new system that near perfectly integrates with the last system of legacy glass and bodies.

So as a business person, I would expect Canon to take several years longer to transition.

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,458 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 25, 2018 10:55 |  #2069

davesrose wrote in post #18736201 (external link)
My point was that there are respected professionals making photographs that can outshine another photographer using some other brand. How much money Peter or Scott make from their current photos is irrelevant. The fact is they still use Canon gear to make the photos that everyone praises. A camera is a tool: the person behind the camera is what makes a great photo.

They use canon gear because its likely given to them. They are very good photographers. But camera and tech knowledge means NOTHING anymore. MFG's are only concerned internet presence, social media presence and the amount of people that follow these guys.....Why do you think they live on social media ? Why do you think they fight to get on some of these national teaching platforms.

They could make great images with an entry level consumer grade camera. I agree with the last part. A camera is nothing more than a tool. It is the person behind the camera----Unless they are in 12800 ISO lighting conditions or they need fast FPS for capture needs or in other conditions where some of these camera features really matter

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 25, 2018 11:04 |  #2070

mdvaden wrote in post #18736202 (external link)
If Canon were in Sony's shoes with next to nothing for legacy bodies and glass, Canon could have outperformed Sony's recent technological progress and products. Sony was never in Canon's shoes so it was much easier for Sony to take Sony's path. Canon can't take the same road because from their end, they have to think about a complete new system that near perfectly integrates with the last system of legacy glass and bodies.

So as a business person, I would expect Canon to take several years longer to transition.

That's the best explanation of heard that possibly explains Canon's position and mirrorless release.

sponsored links

112,934 views & 1,660 likes for this thread
EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.