Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 24 Sep 2018 (Monday) 09:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is your favorite travel tripod?

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,478 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Oct 04, 2018 06:53 |  #31

peter_n wrote in post #18720754 (external link)
I have used three travel tripods; Gitzo 1541T, Benro C2680T and Leofoto LS-284C. The Benro was bought as a backup to the Gitzo but soon replaced it when I realized it was a better tripod. I won't buy another Gitzo because the customer service is bad here in the US, like some other European companies they farm out the customer service to the foreign country distributor.

I got 8 years of reliable and trouble-free service from the Benro then replaced it with a Leofoto last January, so I guess my favorite is the Leofoto. It's just a better tripod than the Benro, higher quality carbon fiber, billet aluminum apex and stainless steel hardware, no center column, folds shorter than the Benro, and fully extended is just an inch shorter than my RRS TVC-24 (see pix below).

The Leofoto is a copy of the RRS TFC-14 and take a look at Dave Berryrieser's travel tripod stability rankings (external link) and note the respective positions of the TFC-14 and the Leofoto LS-284C and what they cost.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by peter_n in
./showthread.php?p=187​20754&i=i87131847
forum: Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by peter_n in
./showthread.php?p=187​20754&i=i130127722
forum: Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Thanks for the recommendation and images!

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony ZV-1 || Sony a7RIV || Sony a9 || Sony FE 20mm f1.8 G || Sony FE 24-70 f2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55 f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f2.8 GM OSS || Sony FE 200-600 f5.6-6.3 G OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

sponsored links
Oeijur
85 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 09, 2018 01:39 |  #32

I recently bought the Siriu T-025 CF model. So far it’s been great as a travel tripod - small, lightweight and relatively sturdy. Cost was $200 for tripod and ball head.
Previously I used a Gitzo 2541 Mountaineer which was awesome, but I was trying to downsize everything (including camera). Went mirrorless which did not need the big tripod for stability.
Some quick criticisms of the Sirui tripod: The leg locks need about 1/2-full turn to fully tighten (vs. Gitzo’s 1/4 turn) and the leg joints where they connect to the body sometimes need to be tightened using the supplies he wrench. None of these are deal breakers for me, and I’m willing to make these concessions for the price.
Below image is 30 sec exposure with Fuji X-T20 from an overpass on calm nearly windless night.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Solpics11
33 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2018

Oct 09, 2018 23:24 |  #33

I got the Vanguard VEO 2 265CB Carbon Tripod at the beginning of summer. It's perfect for hiking around with and easily hold 5D MKIV and a 100-400 L IS. I usually use it with the 24mm L IS II, but it's worked well with bigger lense.

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …6mm_5_section_c​arbon.html (external link)

Diemonkey
22 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 19, 2018 13:54 |  #34

What works best for me when I'm traveling is my Platypod and RRS BH-55. Super easy to pack and versatile, it has a permanent place within my camera bag. I know, its not technically a tripod as it has four feet...

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,653 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by MakisM1.

Oct 20, 2018 09:23 |  #35

For a recent photo safari in S.Africa, I wanted a travel tripod small enough to fit in the side pocket of the medium size duffel bag I was carrying for the trip. I didn't want to pack it inside the duffel bag to make inspection easier and avoid damages (looks like every time they open the bag to inspect it they break something...). Last time I packed it in the suitcase, they opened the suitcase, broke the 'approved TSA ' lock and left me an 'we inspected your bag' card, so that I wouldn't put a strange looking object in the checked luggage...

I had trouble carrying my regular (travel size, but bigger) tripod as a carry on attached to my photography gear backpack. Some ground stewards gave me a lot of trouble in the past, wanting me to check it in (right...). Also, the pack for this trip weight 26 lbs already :rolleyes:

Anyway, I landed on the aluminum MeFoto BackPacker AirTravel (they covered everything, didn't they).

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …er_air_travel_t​ripod.html (external link)

Collapsed it measures 10.4"

Fully extended 59"

Fully extended is quite wobbly, but it held my 5DIII with the EF 24-70 for some group photos. With one section of the legs collapsed it is almost stable...

You can get decent, stable support below 50", not bad in my book for a tripod the size of a GorillaPod.

I am not a snob in anything, I've been an engineer long enough to know that EVERYTHING is a compromise. My first tripod was an aluminum contraption I bought in 1973 and lasted me until 2011, when a cast aluminum elbow broke. I think I bought it for $20, a fortune those days! :p

Its successor is another aluminum wonder (a Vista Ataras!...) which meets my needs and was under $100 whith a proprietary size QR plate... :-(

The MeFoto cost $79, and if I make the projected move to 4/3ds mirrorless, it will be a resounding success. Carrying 20+ of backpack has gotten really old! Or I have...

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

Ah-keong
Goldmember
1,249 posts
Gallery: 126 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Oct 25, 2018 03:46 |  #36

I am in the midst of considering getting the Sirui 3t-35k and comparing against the GorillaPod.
Do consider if you are looking for a table tripod.  :p

Canon RP | 7D2+grip | EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | Tamron 24-70mm f/2,8 VC G2 | ZE 2/100mm | ZE 2/35mm | ZE 1,4/85mm | CV 3,5/20mm Skopar | CV 1,4/58mm Nokton | Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2,8D | DC-Nikkor 105mm f/2D | Nikkor-S 55mm f/1,2 |
Speedlite 430EX III-RT | 600EX-RT | YN 600EX-RT |
Manfrotto BeFree Travel | MT055XPRO3 |

kayl
412 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 25, 2018 06:38 |  #37

I can vouch for the Mefoto Globetrotter CF. Light weight, yet sturdy, and it folds down nicely.

Rocking the 6d2 and SL2 and (mostly) the 24-105 f4 L, 50mm f1.8 STM, and 135mm f2 L along with a few others.
All of my Gear
Buy/Sell Feedback

ra40
Goldmember
1,265 posts
Gallery: 557 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 26, 2018 16:16 |  #38

The wife/assistant was agreeable when I hand her the tripod bag that has the RRS TP-243 or these :) Height challenged but they fly easily in the messenger bag so they get in carry on. I have many concerns flying with the full sized tripods even when the airlines label "fragile" or "handle with care" and hand carry them to the loading ramp. The aluminum Bogen made the trip fine but the soft bag looked like it had been dragged down the runway. The hard cases...thumb down, works great but lugging that isn't fun.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

4,732 views & 20 likes for this thread
What is your favorite travel tripod?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.