Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Sep 2018 (Wednesday) 02:31
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How's the new EOS-R stack up for you?"
It's Amazing!
26.5%
It's kind of a let down
33.8%
It's trash
8.5%
It's good for the price
23.5%
It helped me pick a new body
7.7%

189 voters, 260 votes given (3 choices choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?

this thread is locked
davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 25, 2018 11:06 as a reply to  @ post 18736206 |  #2071

But their work didn’t suffer when they started using Canon. As to high ISO or fast fps, Canon offers that too. If a professional finds they use burst mode, then they’ll pick the camera with the best features. Not internet sites that say brand X is the only brand that makes good photos

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links
samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited 4 months ago by samueli. (3 edits in all)

Oct 25, 2018 11:10 |  #2072

davesrose wrote in post #18736212 (external link)
But their work didn’t suffer when they started using Canon. As to high ISO or fast fps, Canon offers that too. If a professional finds they use burst mode, then they’ll pick the camera with the best features. Not internet sites that say brand X is the only brand that makes good photos

But there is a brand X that incorporates ALL the high performance and cutting edge features into their products, regardless of polish or execution.

WilsonFlyer
570 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Post edited 4 months ago by WilsonFlyer.

Oct 25, 2018 11:11 |  #2073

mdvaden wrote in post #18736202 (external link)
If Canon were in Sony's shoes with next to nothing for legacy bodies and glass, Canon could have outperformed Sony's recent technological progress and products. Sony was never in Canon's shoes so it was much easier for Sony to take Sony's path. Canon can't take the same road because from their end, they have to think about a complete new system that near perfectly integrates with the last system of legacy glass and bodies.

So as a business person, I would expect Canon to take several years longer to transition.

It's OK. Sear's got behind the 8-ball too and didn't pay any attention to what the competition was doing and it all worked out OK for them, right?

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 25, 2018 11:13 |  #2074

Here's one more video from Travis Harris who posted a longer review this week. This one is geared toward the WiFi image transfer.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,465 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 25, 2018 11:36 |  #2075

mdvaden wrote in post #18736218 (external link)
Here's one more video from Travis Harris who posted a longer review this week. This one is geared toward the WiFi image transfer.

He is comfortable shooting weddings in Jpeg format. Great for him. I have a ton of experience and I wont shoot weddings in Jpeg format. EVER.....Mainly due to color costs and ability to control color better in Raw format and to recover highlights. I know about Highlight alert and other functions. Not for me. Raw is a much better way for me to go

A solution for some but not for many

I still want a dual card release so I will wait

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

davesrose
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 4 months ago by davesrose.

Oct 25, 2018 12:06 |  #2076

samueli wrote in post #18736215 (external link)
But there is a brand X that incorporates ALL the high performance and cutting edge features into their products, regardless of polish or execution.

Not for any given feature. You brought up video before: people complain about the A7iii stretching video. There are numerous debates about what processing methods are best for resampling FF sensors for video.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited 4 months ago by samueli. (2 edits in all)

Oct 25, 2018 12:11 |  #2077

davesrose wrote in post #18736237 (external link)
Not for any given feature. You brought up video before: people complain about the A7iii stretching video. There are numerous debates about what processing methods are best for resizing FF sensors for video.

I see your point, but stretched video can be dealt with; there aren't any good options for soft video.

davesrose
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 25, 2018 12:22 |  #2078

samueli wrote in post #18736238 (external link)
I see your point, but I can deal with stretched video in post very easily; you can't fix soft video.

Not if it’s missing part of the frame. People say I can fix in post for color balance as well. To get back to resampling, what about another camera that handles more ISO. Point is there isn’t one brand that masters everything.

Canon 5D mk IV
smugmug (external link)

samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited 4 months ago by samueli.

Oct 25, 2018 12:26 |  #2079

davesrose wrote in post #18736243 (external link)
Not if it’s missing part of the frame. People say I can fix in post for color balance as well. To get back to resampling, what about another camera that handles more ISO. Point is there isn’t one brand that masters everything.

So in the end it comes down to different brands/models for different needs, which is an expensive proposition for the enthusiast. I almost went Fuji X-T3, but I appreciate full frame too much and held on to my hope for Canon.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,411 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 4 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Oct 25, 2018 13:06 |  #2080

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18736216 (external link)
It's OK. Sear's got behind the 8-ball too and didn't pay any attention to what the competition was doing and it all worked out OK for them, right?

Well if Sears had done something 3 years into being behind the 8 ball, they would likely be in a different situation. They made only 2 changes to their entire business model online, they added rewards and peddled that for years, and allowed 3rd party sellers to sell on their site, like Walmart, Amazon, etc. That simply wasn't enough of a change. JCP is next, but at least they have changed up things over the years a little bit and are very actively finding new ways to market their services and goods. It may be too late for them as well.

If Sears had changed things when Circuit City went under, along with also Toys R US, both might have different stories to tell. Circuit City was one of the first big chains to fall due to online sales, and many others should have taken notice immediately from that.

Canon isn't even really 3 years behind at this point for mirrorless, and for DSLR, aren't behind at all. Canon isn't yet in dire straits.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Diemonkey
22 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2005
Post edited 4 months ago by Diemonkey.

Oct 25, 2018 13:34 |  #2081

I appreciate that Canon has put some thought into incorporating any lenses you currently own. Not just to make it work on the camera, but adds the functionality of the new lenses.

The EOS-R is a really nice camera.

Does it do everything I hoped it would? Unfortunately no.

Can I take amazing photos with it?
You bet your ass I can!!

I’ll leave everyone else to squabble about who’s camera is bigger and blah, blah, freakin’ blah...

I’m gonna go take photos. If anyone wants to join me, let me know...

-Aloha! :-D

davesrose
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 25, 2018 13:59 |  #2082

samueli wrote in post #18736246 (external link)
So in the end it comes down to different brands/models for different needs, which is an expensive proposition for the enthusiast. I almost went Fuji X-T3, but I appreciate full frame too much and held on to my hope for Canon.

Portability seems like a non sequitur for FF. Add a fast lens or long telephoto, and that smaller FF mirrorless gets pretty big. If I were to get a portable system, I would look at M4/3 or APS-C for the smaller system (and I'd still have my FF DSLR for FF needs). But it's an added expense to get a nice mirrorless with lenses, so I agree that expense has been one reason I haven't gotten a "travel" system.

Canon 5D mk IV
smugmug (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,411 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 4 months ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Oct 25, 2018 14:08 |  #2083

Diemonkey wrote in post #18736285 (external link)
I appreciate that Canon has put some thought into incorporating any lenses you currently own. Not just to make it work on the camera, but adds the functionality of the new lenses.

The EOS-R is a really nice camera.

Does it do everything I hoped it would? Unfortunately no.

Can I take amazing photos with it?
You bet your ass I can!!

I’ll leave everyone else to squabble about who’s camera is bigger and blah, blah, freakin’ blah...

I’m gonna go take photos. If anyone wants to join me, let me know...

-Aloha! :-D

Not ANY lens we own, because EF-M was left by the wayside with the EOS-R. Just EF/EFS lenses and then the new RF lenses... Also, when you use an EF or EFS lens with IS on the EOS-R, if it is anything like the M50, the IS stays engaged the entire time you have the camera on, and the IS switch set to ON. Just holding the camera by your side will continue having the IS on. You can turn continuous AF off, you can turn on One Shot, and still the IS runs indefinitely. So yes support for EF/EFS is there, but there are some complications to deal with.

Perhaps Canon fixed this on the EOS-R, I certainly hope so. I hate turning IS on and off continuously as I use an EF lens. Very frustrating... However based on this, it appears all of the strengths and weaknesses of the M50 made it over to the EOS-R.

https://www.dpreview.c​om/forums/thread/43202​63 (external link)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

mcoren
621 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2015
Post edited 4 months ago by mcoren.

Oct 25, 2018 15:00 |  #2084

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18736319 (external link)
Not ANY lens we own, because EF-M was left by the wayside with the EOS-R. Just EF/EFS lenses and then the new RF lenses...

Can you use EF-M lenses with an EF-M to EF adapter in tandem with the EF to RF adapter? Not saying it's a good idea, just wondering if it's possible.

Mike

EDIT: Never mind. Stupid question. See POST 18736396.

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

SereneSpeed
908 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 25, 2018 15:03 as a reply to  @ mcoren's post |  #2085

An EF-M lens will not fit on an EF-M to EF adapter.

https://www.danbcreati​ve.com (external link) - Commercial Work

sponsored links

113,070 views & 1,660 likes for this thread
EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.