Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Sep 2018 (Wednesday) 02:31
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How's the new EOS-R stack up for you?"
It's Amazing!
26.5%
It's kind of a let down
33.8%
It's trash
8.5%
It's good for the price
23.5%
It helped me pick a new body
7.7%

189 voters, 260 votes given (3 choices choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?

this thread is locked
mcoren
624 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015
Post edited 5 months ago by mcoren.

Oct 25, 2018 15:11 |  #2086

SereneSpeed wrote in post #18736350 (external link)
An EF-M lens will not fit on an EF-M to EF adapter.

Say what?

Never mind. I'm confused. See POST 18736396.

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,498 posts
Gallery: 156 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 5 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Oct 25, 2018 15:11 |  #2087

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18736266 (external link)

Circuit City was one of the first big chains to fall due to online sales, and many others should have taken notice immediately from that...

Sorry, but for Circuit City, online competion was not the cause of their problems, nor was it the proper era for that to be the source. Newer big box stores were still growing, Best Buy was the biggest hit to their bottom line, and during the time they tried to compete with Best Buy, they made some horrific choices with employment, laying off all of their skilled managers and salespeople, replacing them with newbs, with no one left to train them. Customer Service went from one of the best for walk in big box stores, to absolute rock bottom. They figured of Best Buy and Comp USA could get away with terrible C.S., so could they. Meanwhile Best Buy was learning that they could NOT get away with it and started improving. Comp USA never learned that lesson and failed.

It has not always been "online put us out of business"
It used to be the bigger or newer box store putting the smaller one out.

Locally and nationally the stories were the same;
Toys r Us put Child World and all the small toy stores out of business.

Best Buy put Circuit City, Lechmere, Tweeter Etc. and a host of others out including most small independent shops.

Home Depot and Lowes buried Summerville Lumber, Grossman's, Builders Square and the vast majority of all the "real" lumber yards.

Dick's put Sports Authority and Models out, both of which had already put out of business all the neighborhood sporting goods stores we used to have..

The cycle goes on.

Now what was this thread about :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

mcoren
624 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Oct 25, 2018 16:06 |  #2088

mcoren wrote in post #18736347 (external link)
Can you use EF-M lenses with an EF-M to EF adapter in tandem with the EF to RF adapter? Not saying it's a good idea, just wondering if it's possible.

SereneSpeed wrote in post #18736350 (external link)
An EF-M lens will not fit on an EF-M to EF adapter.

mcoren wrote in post #18736357 (external link)
Say what?

I'm sorry. You're right. My bad. The EF-M to EF adapter works the other way, to adapt EF lenses to an EF-M camera. I should know that, I have one!

I took a red-eye home from the West Coast the other day and it's been a crazy week at work. My brain has been in "low power" mode all day. Please ignore anything I've posted in the last 12 hours. :)

Mike

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,663 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 5 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Oct 25, 2018 16:13 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #2089

True, circuit city had lots of issues, but also the online outlets were also out and growing, and CC never developed an online presence with anything. It was one of many issues. HHGregg, office Max, and others followed shortly after. It took a decade for the survivors to do online and they still are a bit lacking. The sales tax law by the supreme Court may have some interesting implications here though.

Office Depot, JCP, Staples and a few others are now at risk.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited 5 months ago by ksbal.

Oct 25, 2018 16:28 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #2090

But many have been bought out - sucked dry by those that purchase and then borrow a crapton, pay themselves big bonuses, slash staff in all the wrong places to cut costs for a while as they squeeze the last money out and then let it go belly up. Toys R Us, and many others are in the trash heap, it isn't all due to online. It seems like so many CEO's don't give a crap about name or reputation or putting people to work anymore. its only about stock options and their own personal bottom line and to hell with anyone else.

Amazon made a dent, for sure, but I think there is more than online sales that are the issue, it's a whole culture at the top, eatings its own.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,498 posts
Gallery: 156 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 25, 2018 17:23 |  #2091

Staples was in fact one of the earliest Box stores to jump on line. It's pretty ugly by today's standards but for some time they were well outfitted compared to others.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,947 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 25, 2018 17:32 |  #2092

umphotography wrote in post #18736230 (external link)
He is comfortable shooting weddings in Jpeg format. Great for him. I have a ton of experience and I wont shoot weddings in Jpeg format. EVER.....Mainly due to color costs and ability to control color better in Raw format and to recover highlights. I know about Highlight alert and other functions. Not for me. Raw is a much better way for me to go

A solution for some but not for many

I still want a dual card release so I will wait

I don' recall him saying it specifically, but I think he shoots RAW + JPG and backs up JPG for the once in blue moon card failure.

I've never had a single card failure in 12 years. And my shoots are often split between two cameras and several cards. So if I had a rare once in 15 year episode with JPGs remaining, I would just work with the JPSs best possible. I used to shoot just JPG like 8 years ago and still turned out some decent photos.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,578 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 25, 2018 17:46 |  #2093

mdvaden wrote in post #18736439 (external link)
I don' recall him saying it specifically, but I think he shoots RAW + JPG and backs up JPG for the once in blue moon card failure.

I've never had a single card failure in 12 years. And my shoots are often split between two cameras and several cards. So if I had a rare once in 15 year episode with JPGs remaining, I would just work with the JPSs best possible. I used to shoot just JPG like 8 years ago and still turned out some decent photos.

I have had 2 card failures and both were weddings. Im paranoid about data loss. Both times my 2nd card had the data. Its why I have always used 1D cameras. I just cant take the chance

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,947 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 25, 2018 19:13 |  #2094

umphotography wrote in post #18736448 (external link)
I have had 2 card failures and both were weddings. Im paranoid about data loss. Both times my 2nd card had the data. Its why I have always used 1D cameras. I just cant take the chance

If the EOS R had two slots, are you as interesting in the new RF lenses as you are in the camera?

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,640 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 25, 2018 19:47 |  #2095

mcoren wrote in post #18736396 (external link)
I'm sorry. You're right. My bad. The EF-M to EF adapter works the other way, to adapt EF lenses to an EF-M camera. I should know that, I have one!

I took a red-eye home from the West Coast the other day and it's been a crazy week at work. My brain has been in "low power" mode all day. Please ignore anything I've posted in the last 12 hours. :)

Mike

I do think that wording is confusing also. It's an EF to EF-M adapter. Basically, you can't mount a EF-M lens to any FF camera...and I think that's OK. EF-S works with Canon R because it has the same flange distance as EF (44mm). EF-M has 18mm flange, so it begs issues with optics/vignetting. EF-S can natively work because of the same flange distance and has no vignetting issues with Super-35mm or APS-C crop.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

davesrose
3,640 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 25, 2018 20:13 |  #2096

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18736266 (external link)
Well if Sears had done something 3 years into being behind the 8 ball, they would likely be in a different situation. They made only 2 changes to their entire business model online, they added rewards and peddled that for years, and allowed 3rd party sellers to sell on their site, like Walmart, Amazon, etc. That simply wasn't enough of a change. JCP is next, but at least they have changed up things over the years a little bit and are very actively finding new ways to market their services and goods. It may be too late for them as well.

I've just caught on this point, but I think Sears might actually have a better survivability model right now. Both Sears and JCP are in the red (and when you look at the dollar, Sears is more so because they are a bigger company). But their online presence is no longer being a link for Amazon. Amazon has partnered with Sears so that you can buy tires online with Amazon and get them installed at Sears. While they've stopped being a goto mall department store (which in itself is a fad that has faded), they've also been equated as a place to go for appliances (even now, they offer certain brands that Home Depot/Lowes may not offer). I think I might also be a bit jaded in which I live in intown Atlanta. The mall that I'm closest to is getting really dilapidated now in which all the big department stores have already left: there's a cheaper AMC movie theater that gets some business. Meanwhile, a former Sears Roebuck "palace" from the 20s has been renovated for a 2.1 million sq ft lofts/office/restauran​t/market space. That in itself doesn't mean anything about Sears since this is a private and posh retail space. But I think it's an interesting time as you've also brought up taxes. I got a notice from B&H that they're going to charge full sales tax in NC due to local laws. Amazon has to charge tax in GA for items that are clearly coming from distribution centers here...and it's more if you shop at their Whole Foods or get services like their partnership with Sears. So one of the main arguments about online companies of having cheaper prices due to less taxes is dissolving. They have to go back to offering local service.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,663 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 5 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Oct 25, 2018 20:14 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #2097

The Staples stores are closing down one by one, two in this area are now both closed, and others are slated for closure. :(

The last Sears of two or three we had here over the years just closed as part of the bankruptcy filling. There are hardly any remaining places to check out camera gear in person any more. Our last camera shop closed a couple years back. It's actually getting more difficult to even buy what I want at a brick and mortar. I won't buy camera gear at Best buy due to their restocking fee should I not like something about that gear.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

mcoren
624 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Post edited 5 months ago by mcoren.

Oct 25, 2018 20:16 |  #2098

davesrose wrote in post #18736530 (external link)
I do think that wording is confusing also. It's an EF to EF-M adapter. Basically, you can't mount a EF-M lens to any FF camera...and I think that's OK. EF-S works with Canon R because it has the same flange distance as EF (44mm). EF-M has 18mm flange, so it begs issues with optics/vignetting. EF-S can natively work because of the same flange distance and has no vignetting issues with Super-35mm or APS-C crop.

Right. And EF-M lenses can’t work on the EOS R because the RF mount has a flange distance of 20 mm, but the EF-M lenses are made for a flange distance of only 18 mm. The “adapter” for EF-M lenses would have to insert them 2 mm into the RF mount.

Mike

davesrose
3,640 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 5 months ago by davesrose.

Oct 25, 2018 20:33 |  #2099

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18736560 (external link)
The last Sears of two or three we had here over the years just closed as part of the bankruptcy filling. There are hardly any remaining places to check out camera gear in person any more. Our last camera shop closed a couple years back. It's actually getting more difficult to even buy what I want at a brick and mortar. I won't buy camera gear at Best buy due to their restocking fee should I not like something about that gear.

Oh face it TS, your taste in camera gear can't be found at your local Best Buy;-)a At least that's been my experience with most brick and mortar stores here in Atlanta: they have Rebels and maybe the XXD on display. So most of us have to go online now. A couple EF lenses might be in their locked display. The main camera store we have with online presence is KEH. We also had a big store that had photography classes, all high end cameras and video equipment called Showtime Camera. It closed last year (citing the issue of folks window shopping there and then finally buying at Amazon).

There are quite a few Sears left here in Atlanta, and as previously stated...I think they're now doing better as an Amazon service. I don't think there will be enough demand for camera stores to exist in this new local service online world though (it's just too niche with everyone using their smartphone).

Canon 5D mk IV
smugmug (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,578 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 25, 2018 21:36 |  #2100

mdvaden wrote in post #18736509 (external link)
If the EOS R had two slots, are you as interesting in the new RF lenses as you are in the camera?

If the EOS-R had 2 cards I would have one right now

and yes very excited about the new glass

That 24-105 looks killer

Dont think I could pop for the 24-70 at 3K

It would give a whole new lease on my 135L and other primes. so Really excited to see if the new release has 2 slots

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

118,239 views & 1,660 likes for this thread
EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.