Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Jan 2013 (Sunday) 14:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: Fuji Users Unite - Post your comments, questions and images here

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,105 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 25, 2018 14:30 |  #8926

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18736321 (external link)
Isn't everyone?

Well yes...

But I can go on youtube and probably find the exact same material all of them are using, and get it for free.

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN | 72mm Tiffen Variable ND Filter for sale

sponsored links
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,279 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by bobbyz.

Oct 25, 2018 15:07 |  #8927

PLLphotography wrote in post #18736310 (external link)
It's funny to see "trends" of people copying other people.

Now on social media I follow well-known portrait photographers such as Damien Lovegrove, Lindsay Adler, Sue Bryce, Zack Arias, etc.

I *think* on Instagram, the first time I saw an advertisement for a photography "school" of sorts was Felix Kunze, in collaboration with Sue Bryce.

Monthly membership fees, get 100's of videos, etc.

Then Zack Arias came out with a training membership...

Then Damien....

etc.

Just saw an advertisement from Lara Jade who just brought one out lol.

Don't think I've seen one from Lindsay....yet.

But funny to see how a lot of them are following suit. Don't get me wrong, I do love the images they produce, as do others, but they are still just normal people out to make money in this world.

There is more money in teaching than actually doing the photography stuff.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,928 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014

Oct 25, 2018 16:56 |  #8928

PLLphotography wrote in post #18736310 (external link)
just normal people out to make money in this world.

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18736321 (external link)
Isn't everyone?

What Normal? Hope not  :p

But yes we all got make a buck [Fuji don't give out cameras for free (very often)], and there are plenty of people out there who want to learn of get some confidence installed in them. Personally I just don't have time/patience to dedicate to a sub service & I'd much rather just buy it up front as it might take me a few years to sit through all the content.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T3. 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 50-140/2.8.
Pelican, Ona, ThinkTank, Matthews Grip, Elinchrom

Gear & Discounts (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)
Coffee & Fujis (external link)YouTube (external link)

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Oct 25, 2018 18:33 |  #8929

There is video instruction which is worth watching and worth paying for. Even if the information is on YouTube, you have to watch a lot of junk and also see many things repeated. A properly designed video class builds information so you can build a good skill. And there is some material which is on a higher level and can't be presented in short form and doesn't tend to make it on YouTube.

There is also plenty of material for sale which is not worth watching for free ;).

My rule of thumb is watch what the person has out for free. If they say they are going to teach what you are interested in, don't be fooled yet. Watch enough that you actually learn something substantive. Why? Because my experience is that those who "talk about what they will teach you" instead of "launching into teaching because they have so much information to get through" are big on sizzle but short on steak :).

The great majority of material on lighting tends to rehash the basics (this is hard light, this is soft light, this is feathering, key, fill, hairlight, background light, basic lighting patterns, strobe vs ambient, etc) which you can, indeed, get well (or poorly) delivered for free. Most of the Photoshop stuff is either pretty basic, a bad practice you should avoid or some cool trick which has narrow application. There are a few with good business advice (but also plenty with questionable advice there, too).

But if you search a bit and use my rule of thumb, there are some worthy investments. And a useful class can save you a lot of time. If you don't invest the effort to practice the skills, you won't gain much, because most of what moves you forward is practice. Good classes just make your practice more efficient or help you better direct your practice.

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,105 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 25, 2018 19:01 |  #8930

My very first "instructional" video for photography I was ever exposed to was Zack Arias' One Light (first version). After watching that video (and referencing it from time to time after for a refresher) I was off running.

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN | 72mm Tiffen Variable ND Filter for sale

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,842 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Oct 25, 2018 19:05 |  #8931

so.. maybe i'm doing something wrong..

after having the xt3 for about 3 weeks , i've only just now turned on the touch screen.

the main reason being to see if I could switch faces when face/eye detect is on in stills or in video.
so yeah, you cant.. although I knew that already.

what is happening though as I treid going back and forth between use of touch screen and turning on/off face/eye , is thhe green light stays on and my fn buttons become useless.. sometimes all , sometimes only some ..
if I hit the menu button its clears out the "locked out" situation , or sometimes if I just wait it out.

anyone else have any issues like this.?

one way that always triggers this semi frozen mode is if i'm in face/eye and I touch the screen..

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pansonic, pentax
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://youtu.be/YzJ1o​eiHm7Y (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,425 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited 3 months ago by EverydayGetaway. (3 edits in all)

Oct 25, 2018 23:51 |  #8932

PLLphotography wrote in post #18736328 (external link)
Well yes...

But I can go on youtube and probably find the exact same material all of them are using, and get it for free.

The same can be said for just about anything you can learn though. We live in an age of information. If you know where to look and have the self discipline you can teach yourself pretty much anything these days.

Different teachers can teach the same exact things and reach totally different groups of people. We all respond differently to different teachers/teaching styles. Some people love Zach Arias, some don't... neither are wrong, neither are right. If his teaching "works" for someone, why wouldn't they be inclined to pay for the lessons?

I've never bought a photography class yet, but I probably would if I were seeking for more payed gigs just to build my confidence up further. I've watched lots of material and read even more all over the web though, but I've seen more "bad" videos (for my needs/interests) than I have "good" I'd think... so if I knew I'd be getting consistently "good" material without having to dig for it, I'd definitely consider paying for it.

Ironically your last post (which was posted after I had half typed the above response on my phone :lol: ) pretty much points out exactly what I'm talking about.

PLLphotography wrote in post #18736487 (external link)
My very first "instructional" video for photography I was ever exposed to was Zack Arias' One Light (first version). After watching that video (and referencing it from time to time after for a refresher) I was off running.

Wouldn't that be enough to make you consider paying for a line of classes from him?

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,928 posts
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited 3 months ago by Two Hot Shoes.

Oct 26, 2018 08:08 as a reply to  @ rantercsr's post |  #8933

Yea, I found that also, once I use the touch screen to AF the functions buttons have no response. I've emailed Fuji about it so will see what they say.

Coffee this morning (no surprise) so took photo of customer.
One celling spot light running the colour and I left my flash at home but these are the tests we have. B&W to the rescue :lol:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T3. 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 50-140/2.8.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,279 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 26, 2018 08:28 |  #8934

Man, I just looked at bunch of fireworks on the beach shots that I took about 3 weeks ago and everyone OOF. I had set focus and changed to MF for the very first time. Don't know why I did that. Was shooting f11 or so. Even if tripod moved a bit, DoF should have been huge. Anyways, next sure use AF.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,105 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 26, 2018 09:08 |  #8935

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18736689 (external link)
Ironically your last post (which was posted after I had half typed the above response on my phone :lol: ) pretty much points out exactly what I'm talking about.

Wouldn't that be enough to make you consider paying for a line of classes from him?

and I did. I bought both version 1.0 and 2.0 of his onelight class. it was informative to get me started, but at this point, I have no need for a subscription-based learning system. I acknowledge other people may be thrilled and signing up in droves. Youtube is a great source to find lessons for whatever you need.

Take Aaron Nace... fantastic at photoshop. has a subscription-based system for being able to access tons of photoshop tutorials. However... I can go no youtube, and PixImperfect does a fantastic job as well... for free. :D

My main point was, at first there seemed to be nothing of the type, then all of a sudden all of these well-known photographers bring out the same type of classes around the same time. Almost like they were all sitting around a table chit-chatting, one of them mentions they are thinking about an online subscription-based class, and all of them scramble to get one up and running.

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Oct 26, 2018 09:16 |  #8936

PLLphotography wrote in post #18736874 (external link)
and I did. I bought both version 1.0 and 2.0 of his onelight class. it was informative to get me started, but at this point, I have no need for a subscription-based learning system. I acknowledge other people may be thrilled and signing up in droves. Youtube is a great source to find lessons for whatever you need.

Take Aaron Nace... fantastic at photoshop. has a subscription-based system for being able to access tons of photoshop tutorials. However... I can go no youtube, and PixImperfect does a fantastic job as well... for free. :D

My main point was, at first there seemed to be nothing of the type, then all of a sudden all of these well-known photographers bring out the same type of classes around the same time. Almost like they were all sitting around a table chit-chatting, one of them mentions they are thinking about an online subscription-based class, and all of them scramble to get one up and running.

And how many of them were on Creative Live? Just sayin' ....

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,425 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 26, 2018 10:03 |  #8937

PLLphotography wrote in post #18736874 (external link)

I mean, if I thought I could make some cash doing it I'd be setting it up too! :lol:

At a local airstrip down the road from me

X-Pro2 + XF 35/1.4

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1937/43706362210_90eeaa06d0_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/29Ab​wM9  (external link) October2018 18 (external link) by Lucas (external link), on Flickr

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

clipper_from_oz
Goldmember
2,486 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Sep 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by clipper_from_oz.

Oct 26, 2018 19:02 |  #8938

bobbyz wrote in post #18735713 (external link)
^^ Wouldn't eye AF be much faster and better.

It would be faster however Im not sure if you can get the wire frame showing in that mode (eye AF mode) on the xt3. On the xt2/xt20 the wire frame /focus peeking can only be activated in manual focus setting so Im assuming will be the same on the Xt3?....The whole idea of using this focus peeking is as a check on the AF given the AF module sometimes confirms an on target af aquistion when its actually missed. Doesnt happen a lot however for me it was enough to warrant me using the Manual Focus setting using l back button AF( with focus peeking) . The beauty of using the weireframe/focus peeking is when the AF is aquired you see exactly what point the AF is taken from on/in film plane via the colored wireframe . Then if it doesnt look right like the mid point of the DOF wireframe isnt the same area as the AF point you either take another AF readfing via the AF backbutton or alternatively adjust the manual focus ring

The manual focus wireframe DOF focusing shown here at 5.09....https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=iTEmXYksqTk (external link) . This is for xt
-20 and includes touch screen however later on at 8.15 mark he shows using the back button AF work around that allows all the features together as Ive described above which will be for xpro 2 and xt 2 as they dont have touch screens. This is what I term the " have your cake and eat it as well " mode as it gives everything at once that someone needs for spot on focus without slowing everything down. That is... AF with focus peeking and if needed ability to manual focus via the focus ring

Cheers

Clipper
5DSR,5DMkII,Fuji XPRO1,X-T1&X-T20,Fotoman 6x17cm Large Format Panorama Camera,Mamiya Universal 6x9
Canon EF 16-35mm f4 L, 17mm TSE f4 L,50mm f1.4, 24-70 f2.8 L, 70-200mm F4 L, 85mm f1.8, 100-400mm II L,
EF 400mm f2.8 IS II L, Fujinon XF18mmf2, XF35mmf1.4, XF60mm f2, XF18-55f2.8-4.5, XF55-200f4
Rodenstock, Sinar& Nikkor LF lens for Pano (75,95,150+210mm)
flickr (external link)

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,842 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Oct 26, 2018 19:59 as a reply to  @ Two Hot Shoes's post |  #8939

Ah ok,. Well releived that its on them to fix it .. and not my camera being broken.
Not a huge deal to me since i r3ally dont use touch screen anymore since my canon rebel days.

I think if fuji and sony let me use the touch to use menus id probabaly use it alot more , but for af in stills it doesnt interest me. For videos its alot more useful

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pansonic, pentax
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://youtu.be/YzJ1o​eiHm7Y (external link)

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,928 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Oct 26, 2018 20:19 as a reply to  @ rantercsr's post |  #8940

If you look in the top right of your screen when that happens you will see AF off in green. Tap that to turn off the AF-L. This was by design (same when shutter is half pressed). I can think of a few instances like a landscape or architecture shot where it’s a pain.

sponsored links

1,164,080 views & 7,580 likes for this thread
Fuji Users Unite - Post your comments, questions and images here
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.