Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 25 Oct 2018 (Thursday) 11:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Manfrotto Tripod Help

firme
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 25, 2018 11:45 |  #1

I currently have a very cheap tripod... while it does what it is made for I have been having a bit of a problem where the head "droops/slides/moves" downward when trying to take vertical pictures. I can't expect much for the little money I paid for around $25. I have been looking at Manfrotto as I have heard that brand constantly. Not sure if there are better stuff out there if trying to spend less than $100. I know probably will not get much compared to those $200 plus tripods.

I don't do much traveling or walking long distances outdoors. If I do, they are short distances where it would not be a big deal.

This is what I found after a quick search:

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …dvanced_tripod_​black.html (external link)
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …nced_aluminum_t​ripod.html (external link)

sponsored links
johnf3f
Goldmember
4,091 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 25, 2018 17:55 |  #2

Honestly, I would wait and save up more funds and get a decent tripod. If you stick with photography then you are going to do this anyway so don't waste money on compromises on the way - like I did!

One way of reducing costs is to look at the used market, but make sure it is a quality brand that will last as you don't want to buy other people's problems. Buy a good tripod (do not compromise) in the first place and save yourself some money in the long run.

Just my thoughts.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 25, 2018 20:03 |  #3

Thanks for the advice. What is considered a descent one then. The ones linked are that bad? I have been looking for used as well. Seen quite a few of them... again don't know what is good and what is bad.

Ah-keong
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Oct 26, 2018 03:35 |  #4

I would recommend saving up for

travel : Manfrotto BeFree Compact Travel Aluminum Alloy Tripod
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …compact_travel_​photo.html (external link)

heavy1 : Manfrotto MT055XPRO3-3W Aluminum Tripod with 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …aluminum_tripod​_with.html (external link)

heavy2 : Manfrotto MK055XPRO3-BHQ2 Aluminum Tripod with XPRO Ball Head and 200PL QR Plate
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …aluminum_tripod​_with.html (external link)

save up and get a good one and it can last long rather then spend more money replacing it.  :p

Canon 7D2+grip | 18-35mm ART | EF-S 10-18mm | EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | ZE 2/100mm | ZE 2/35mm | ZE 1,4/85mm | CV 3,5/20mm Skopar | CV 1,4/58mm Nokton | Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2,8D | DC-Nikkor 105mm f/2D |
Olympus E-PL3 | 7-14mm f/2,8 |
Speedlite 430EX III-RT | 600EX-RT | YN 600EX-RT |
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,261 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 11 months ago by John from PA.

Oct 26, 2018 05:07 |  #5

We of course no nothing about your gear, your height, what you shoot, etc. which may have some bearing on a selection.

B&H has "daily" specials, sometimes extending longer over weekends. Currently they have the Oben AT-3565 Folding Aluminum Travel Tripod with BC-217T Ball Head, normally $150 but marked down to $89. The details are at https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …g_5_section_alu​minum.html (external link).

Some things to look for in a good tripod are the height. The Oben for instance has a maximum height just short of 62 inches. That means if you are 6 foot tall, you would always be bending. But this is a travel tripod, so it is made to be lighter and smaller (note it collapses to 15.2 inches). To get to 15.2 inches, it has more leg sections, 5 in this case with twist locks. Many people prefer clamps as set up can be quicker. There is no standard as to judging weight capacity. This Oben is rated 20#, but you shouldn't necessarily compare it to brand "X", also rated to 20#.

Note that when you go to the site link I provided there is an option for a 27# unit, the Oben AT-3585 Folding Aluminum Travel Tripod with BC-226T Ball Head. That gets you a 27# capacity and a maximum height 66.5 inches. It includes a ball head and the normal price of $190 is marked down to $130.

Either of these Oban's would be significantly better than the Manfrotto's you are tentatively looking at.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Post edited 11 months ago by firme.

Oct 26, 2018 08:11 |  #6

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Will check out the links.

My gear consists of:

Canon 80D with battery grip
Pocket Wizard II
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
Canon 580EX Speedlite
Canon Wireless Remote control and one wired control remote

I do small family events: baptisms, birthday parties and some occasional sweet 16 parties. Random modeling photo shoots.
I also am a graphic designer so any print items I have whether it be business cards or even shirts I practice my photography on that. Would that be considered product photography? Lol.

I do plan on doing outdoor photography as mostly have done indoors. Planning on a fall theme if I hurry up before its too late. I have recently had an interest in street photography as I have been starting to carry my camera. Still new to this topic.

By the way, I am 5'8".

ra40
845 posts
Gallery: 340 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 26, 2018 16:05 |  #7

We've all been there buying photo gear so it is hard to spend at times. Having gear that accomplishes what you need it to do is worth that expense and especially with camera support. Those 30+ second, multi hour exposures or time lapses are rewarding results.

The one that John mentions looks good as does this model:
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …g_5_section_alu​minum.html (external link)

The Manfrotto line is going to be very good because parts will be available if something breaks.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 26, 2018 16:42 |  #8

Are Oben hard to find parts such as the heads? I can do the $90 tripod John posted... of course one tries to take care of what they have but once in a while there are accidents. I know I had my fair share of accidents with light stands. Lol.

ra40
845 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 26, 2018 22:30 |  #9

Hard to say what parts will be available as time passes, that goes for even the known brands in some instances. I have a Bogen/Manfrotto purchased in '94 and parts are accessible. I've had broken leg hinges, collars, tightening fasteners... Manfrotto updated that model so it has had a long run which is good in that respect.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,261 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 27, 2018 06:06 |  #10

firme wrote in post #18737195 (external link)
Are Oben hard to find parts such as the heads? I can do the $90 tripod John posted... of course one tries to take care of what they have but once in a while there are accidents. I know I had my fair share of accidents with light stands. Lol.

Finding parts is all about the effort you put into finding the resource. Read the thread at https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18721343 and you'll find someone having difficulty finding Manfrotto parts.

ra40
845 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 27, 2018 12:10 |  #11

That auction site or long running camera shops can be a valuable resource in their boxes of misc parts. Some of these type of parts can be modified from others if close enough. For gear I don't use I turn those over to the shop. They either add it to their sale items or keep them as a bone yard of stuff that may help others in need. Anything they don't want I send off to charity places.

As the saying goes, get while the getting is good. I bought spare leg hinges and collars because those replacements were reasonable to have on hand. If buying a tripod that can last this long, having the necessary parts is helpful down the road. In most cases you'll move on to another tripod if/when it breaks many-many years later.

You Tube is a valuable resource too because the ability to share fixes has been created by someone in a similar situation.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 27, 2018 19:41 |  #12

If I get good use out of a tripod for a couple of years, I will be more than satisfied.

John, question is for you. The head will hold well when wanting to use for vertical pictures?

Yes I agree, I have to put my part for looking into items down the road or presently. Believe me, not trying to get quick answers, more to get an idea as you and everyone else here in the forum have. Just trying to see what can work for my intended use. As mentioned, the link you provided I can do, specially since it is on sale and I see what the actual price would be if bought when not in sale.

Thanks guys again.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,261 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 11 months ago by John from PA. (2 edits in all)

Oct 28, 2018 10:33 |  #13

firme wrote in post #18737960 (external link)
John, question is for you. The head will hold well when wanting to use for vertical pictures?

There isn't any way of knowing until you try it, but no one mentions this being an issue on the reviews. Both Oben and Manfrotto are quality tripods so the trait of drooping would not be expected.

Having said that, the links I provided still work but no longer reflect the sale price so both of the Oben tripods now exceed you budget. As I explained up front, these are "daily" specials by B&H, sometimes a few days over weekends, but you have to be ready to commit and not procrastinate. There are also return privileges, although you do have to pay the postage. Save boxes, paperwork, manuals, don't fill out warranty cards, etc. until you like what you get.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,784 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 11 months ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Oct 28, 2018 10:37 |  #14

Oftentimes, a 'good tripod' manufacturer makes 'not so great' tripod heads. Most enthusiasts and pros select a set of legs, then (if it comes with a head) replace the head with one of a number of brands of high quality heads which are 'Arca compatible' QR heads. Then, if you also use an 'L bracket' you can avoid the head droop issue completely as the head itself is never tilted ninety degrees for Portrait orientation shots.

Do not forget that you can find excellent tripods on the used market...Bogen/Manfrot​to (US importer decades ago, and Italian manufacturer) often found just above $100, even on POTN

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

ra40
845 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 28, 2018 15:00 |  #15

+1 to Wilt's post. Off axis loads test the heads ability to remain steady. You'll be looking for beefy heads to hold those zooms and tele lenses when positioned off axis. Camera L-plates are helpful in that regard. Having a common or generic plate twist under load is also an issue in addition to a head not being able to clamp the camera load sufficiently.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links

2,000 views & 10 likes for this thread
Manfrotto Tripod Help
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.