Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Sep 2018 (Wednesday) 02:31
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How's the new EOS-R stack up for you?"
It's Amazing!
26.5%
It's kind of a let down
33.8%
It's trash
8.5%
It's good for the price
23.5%
It helped me pick a new body
7.7%

189 voters, 260 votes given (3 choices choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?

this thread is locked
mdvaden
Goldmember
2,830 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by mdvaden.

Oct 26, 2018 20:01 |  #2146

umphotography wrote in post #18737008 (external link)
9:30 says it all about this release. And this 50R is mind blowing good optics. I would probably pick this over the 24-70 Zoom and use my feet to zoom

Ordering Monday ... Canon EOS R plus the Canon RF 50 1.2 ...

Waiting for Monday, to see if my Zeiss Milvus on consignment can be packed together with the new camera and body.

The plan is to keep my Canon 5DS. The EOS R will replace my Canon M5. The RF 50mm 1.2 will replace my EF 50mm 1.2 which I will sell. Sometime in 2019 I will probably purchase additionally the Pro version of the EOS R.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

sponsored links
i-G12
Wat?
1,632 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 26, 2018 20:02 |  #2147

I guess I don’t understand why the EOS R has such limitations on continuous FPS when AF is used?

I guess it was just not meant for action photography?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,389 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Oct 26, 2018 20:04 as a reply to  @ post 18737331 |  #2148

Glass is great, but no glass alone doesn't make a photo. All those bells and whistles provide an experience and ability to capture something that otherwise could not. You could have the sharpest glass in the world, but if you cannot stabilize yourself for a slow shutter, and cannot use lighting in a way to improve the situation, that glass does you no good.

Some can only look at what they shoot and never look at all the other things many of us try to capture. My L lenses are quite good, I certainly see zero reason to go out and spend 2 to 3 times the costs of these to buy RF lenses. However I do want a body that can make things easier to shoot, open up other areas that give me grief now, etc. Sometimes that means I want lighter gear. Sometimes that means I don't want to pump the AF ON button about 2000 times in a shoot to make sure the person's eyes are in focus as I recompose and take the shot. Sometimes I am shooting low light, and my lenses don't have stabilization so I get blurry shots. Sometimes I need more DR. Sometimes I need really really high ISO. I want a body that can do that. Glass isn't going to help one iota there.

Canon is banking on the RF lenses to sell their mirrorless, that is quite clear. That Jedi mindtrick will work on some, not on the others. ;)

Canon will add IBIS eventually, they will improve eye af, etc, but like sensor tech, they will likely run behind the competitors given their a) very slow methodical and conservative development and b) their playing games with really silly features instead of build or resolution or EVF quality.

The EOS-R is a good start.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,389 posts
Joined May 2002

Oct 26, 2018 20:06 |  #2149

i-G12 wrote in post #18737339 (external link)
I guess I don’t understand why the EOS R has such limitations on continuous FPS when AF is used?

You are not going to see sports shooters get the EOS-R. There are much better tools out there for that. Just consider the EOS-R like a 6D3, without a mirror.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,463 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 26, 2018 20:08 |  #2150

i-G12 wrote in post #18737339 (external link)

Probably it is a limitation of the sensor as this is the main focus system as well. In the most established MILC system (Sony) you can see how it takes a very special sensor design (the stacked sensor) to deliver the most incredible system performance (A9) with no blackout shooting, 20 fps, incredible tracking at top fps, and high speed silent shooting. No other camera offers these features.

Or else it is just typical Canon throttling of the best features to preserve sales of higher end models. :-P But seriously, in this case I think it really is the tech. Canon doesn't have the tech of the Sony A9, and they cannot offer the tech of the Sony A73/A7r3 at the same price, for now.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,459 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 26, 2018 20:54 |  #2151

mdvaden wrote in post #18737338 (external link)
Ordering Monday ... Canon EOS R plus the Canon RF 50 1.2 ...

Waiting for Monday, to see if my Zeiss Milvus on consignment can be packed together with the new camera and body.

The plan is to keep my Canon 5DS. The EOS R will replace my Canon M5. The RF 50mm 1.2 will replace my EF 50mm 1.2 which I will sell. Sometime in 2019 I will probably purchase additionally the Pro version of the EOS R.

If it had 2 cards I would be right there with you

I will definitely get the 24-105 and the 50. That 50 is going to be killer

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,830 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 26, 2018 21:06 |  #2152

JeffreyG wrote in post #18737350 (external link)
Or else it is just typical Canon throttling of the best features to preserve sales of higher end models. :-P But seriously, in this case I think it really is the tech. Canon doesn't have the tech of the Sony A9, and they cannot offer the tech of the Sony A73/A7r3 at the same price, for now.

Not particularly. Canon has some tech that Sony does not have, as is vice versa. One small part I'm going to enjoy are the 4 extra lens pins and 3rd control ring. Just started shopping for the control adapter tonight so that when my RF lens arrives, I can enjoy the same with my EF lenses. From what I can tell, the A9, although maybe faster FPS, may not out-perform the EOS R for low light focusing. But more will be learned in that point.

Near $4000 the A9 should perform great, and apparently it's a great camera. On the other hand, not even counting the EOS R, I'm accustomed to the 5DS's mighty 50 megapixels, and can't see myself sliding back to a small 24 megapixel sensor. Not at four thousand dollars certainly, and probably not at $3K either. The EOS also outperforms the A9 for focus points too. I don't need that many, but thought it was fair seeing you mentioned the A9 to show how Sony "throttled" back that feature.

Also ... the A9 just isn't a Pro size body. To me, it's laughable that Sony's techs are so wrapped up in specs and data sheets, that the A9 ergonomics barely handle all of a photographer's fingers. So with so many other capable cameras on the market from Canon and Nikon, I can't imagine dumping four grand into a child hand size camera with only 24 Megapixel resolution regardless of it's frame rate or IBIS. The foundation needs to be fixed first.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,389 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Oct 26, 2018 21:11 |  #2153

mdvaden wrote:
=mdvaden;18737393

Also ... the A9 just isn't a Pro size body. To me, it's laughable that Sony's techs are so wrapped up in specs and data sheets, that the A9 ergonomics barely handle all of a photographer's fingers. So with so many other capable cameras on the market from Canon and Nikon, I can't imagine dumping four grand into a child hand size camera with only 24 Megapixel resolution regardless of it's frame rate or IBIS. The foundation needs to be fixed first.

The 1DX2 is only 20Mpx and $5500. Sometimes it would be nice to not handhold that camera for hours on end. The sony wouldn't be bad at all really, it just needs about 1" on the bottom for the fingers. I guess I don't appreciate your discussion points regarding resolution and features. I never knew there was such a thing as a specific Pro "size"... ?

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,830 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 26, 2018 21:13 |  #2154

umphotography wrote in post #18737391 (external link)
If it had 2 cards I would be right there with you

I'm glad I at least don't need to finance this one. When I was selling my 5D mk iii, one caller politely said he wanted to hold off, to purchase from a place he could finance a used 5D mk iii. I don't like financing camera gear. So having sold my 5D mk iii to a local photographer and added income saved, it will feel nice to own the new purchase.

Looks like it may take several days for various businesses to get the control ring adapter in stock. Adorama, for one, notes in "a few days".

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,235 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 26, 2018 21:17 |  #2155

umphotography wrote in post #18737391 (external link)

Tony Northrup has a video up on the 50, he is about as positive as a person could be about that lens. In an earlier video he said he thought the 24-105 was sharper than the 24-70, which I think is considered their sharpest zoom (well, maybe the 11-24 would beat it). Supposedly he is going to be devoting a separate video to reviewing that one. Here's the 50 -

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=rXIm1M9CiQw (external link)

Flickr (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,830 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 26, 2018 21:20 |  #2156

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18737398 (external link)
The 1DX2 is only 20Mpx and $5500. Sometimes it would be nice to not handhold that camera for hours on end. The sony wouldn't be bad at all really, it just needs about 1" on the bottom for the fingers. I guess I don't appreciate your discussion points regarding resolution and features. I never knew there was such a thing as a specific Pro "size"... ?

The A9 isn't an average photographer's camera body size. In regard to ones where lenses can be changed. it's closer in grip to my point and shoot Canon SX60, except its small body has the light built in lens.

As you noted, there's a reason I don't have the 1DX2 for my landscape shooting. But my last reply was more in reply to the other poster's slight stretch about brands and throttling. There are aspects where other brands surpass Sony, and likewise the reverse.

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,830 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by mdvaden. (2 edits in all)

Oct 26, 2018 21:27 |  #2157

patrick j wrote in post #18737400 (external link)
Tony Northrup has a video up on the 50, he is about as positive as a person could be about that lens. In an earlier video he said he thought the 24-105 was sharper than the 24-70, which I think is considered their sharpest zoom (well, maybe the 11-24 would beat it). Supposedly he is going to be devoting a separate video to reviewing that one. Here's the 50 -

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=rXIm1M9CiQw (external link)

Sadly, Tony seems to have failed when he showed apparent motion blur taken 1/60th second. The full settings including ISO were not included. I've seen the same model and scene in other photographer's videos, and the available light has m suspecting a small boost of ISO could have brought the shutter to 1/200 second. It's as if Northrup did a stats blackout intentionally on that part. The rest of what he shared is pretty much common knowledge now from other reviews.

The person I still hope to see review this lens is Dustin Abbott. He may not find anything new to reveal. But maybe he will. But Abbott is quite thorough and seems to always show the settings for everything.

StarJack
601 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 26, 2018 23:33 |  #2158

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18736358 (external link)
Sorry, but for Circuit City, online competion was not the cause of their problems, nor was it the proper era for that to be the source. Newer big box stores were still growing, Best Buy was the biggest hit to their bottom line, and during the time they tried to compete with Best Buy, they made some horrific choices with employment, laying off all of their skilled managers and salespeople, replacing them with newbs, with no one left to train them. Customer Service went from one of the best for walk in big box stores, to absolute rock bottom. They figured of Best Buy and Comp USA could get away with terrible C.S., so could they. Meanwhile Best Buy was learning that they could NOT get away with it and started improving. Comp USA never learned that lesson and failed.

THIS! In freaking spades!

Regards,
Steve

sploo
premature adulation
2,400 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 27, 2018 05:27 |  #2159

mdvaden wrote in post #18737407 (external link)
Sadly, Tony seems to have failed when he showed apparent motion blur taken 1/60th second. The full settings including ISO were not included. I've seen the same model and scene in other photographer's videos, and the available light has m suspecting a small boost of ISO could have brought the shutter to 1/200 second. It's as if Northrup did a stats blackout intentionally on that part. The rest of what he shared is pretty much common knowledge now from other reviews.

I'd guess that, for that type of scene, you'd be wanting and expecting the very highest quality (fashion type shoot). So a low ISO would be a must. Sharp but noisy wouldn't cut it.

Of course you could argue that for that type of scene you would almost certainly be using some form of lighting; but I get Tony's point that without ibis you have to make a compromise that you wouldn't with a body that did have that feature.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,389 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Oct 27, 2018 05:34 |  #2160

IBIS is a tool, just like AF, AWB, metering, and a host of others that everyone expects in a modern body. I remember the same exact ridicule and disdain for those that wanted a tool called "Live View". However now, it is an integrated and expected function, and in fact with mirrorless, is mandatory. ;)

It must be important enough, Canon just filed a patent for this, and already backed off their stance that stabilization should be a lens thing only.

sponsored links

113,010 views & 1,660 likes for this thread
EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.