Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Jan 2013 (Sunday) 14:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: Fuji Users Unite - Post your comments, questions and images here

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,738 posts
Gallery: 144 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 26, 2018 22:17 |  #8941

PLLphotography wrote in post #18737426 (external link)
Canon's auto bounce flash looks interesting...

I give it 6-12 months before Yongnuo or some other brand brings out a copy. :D

I couldn't imagine ever using Canon auto bounce. I also couldn't imagine ever buying a yongnuo product LOL!!!

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

sponsored links
PLLphotography
with the TF
5,247 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 26, 2018 22:28 |  #8942

AlanU wrote in post #18737432 (external link)
I couldn't imagine ever using Canon auto bounce. I also couldn't imagine ever buying a yongnuo product LOL!!!

I still have a couple first generation yn -560 flashes. They are probably 10 years old and still going strong. Great manual flashes I paid maybe $70/flash.

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

rantercsr
Goldmember
3,769 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2014

Oct 26, 2018 22:31 |  #8943

youngou controllers gave me affordable wireless control.. plus HSS on sony before anyone was doing it

they still work .. and they have been abused,

My portraits IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,738 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 26, 2018 23:33 |  #8944

PLLphotography wrote in post #18737434 (external link)
I still have a couple first generation yn -560 flashes. They are probably 10 years old and still going strong. Great manual flashes I paid maybe $70/flash.

I used nikon's SB26 and 28 IIRC for manual flash back in the day. Man they just worked and they were triggered by cybersync triggers. Back in the day the ultra reliable nikon flash units were dirt cheap.

Yong's are well documented to have hotshoe issues falling apart. I guess it also depends on the brand it's used for ....... For cheap modern flash units I'll use Godox. Fuji EF-X500 I bought brand new was junk as it broke almost instantly (pivoting mechanism broke) The cheap godox flash works just as well but ridiculously cheap.

I cannot imagine using a auto adjusting bounced flash unit from Canon. I also couldn't ever spend the $$$ on a mediocre flashship flash either. However the issue is godox is NOT weather proof. This is one reason why I can still confidently shoot in heavy downpour with my Canon 5dmk4 with OEM flash (rare but it happens.)

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
6,465 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 26, 2018 23:52 |  #8945

X-H1 and 35 f/2. Converted in Capture One.

kirk

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Kirk
---

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,939 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by EverydayGetaway.

Oct 27, 2018 00:00 |  #8946

PLLphotography wrote in post #18737434 (external link)

This.

rantercsr wrote in post #18737437 (external link)
youngou controllers gave me affordable wireless control.. plus HSS on sony before anyone was doing it

they still work .. and they have been abused,

And this.

I've got 3 Yongnuo flashes and 3 triggers from back when I was using Canon... they're still my go to for manual flash setups or to supplement my Interfit strobes. They've worked awesomely with my Canon, Sony, and Fuji systems.

X-Pro2 + XF 60mm

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1914/45473044382_c8f37bde68_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2chi​eQA  (external link) October2018 22 (external link) by Lucas (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1963/45473033752_54cc7ad4fb_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2chi​bFj  (external link) October2018 25 (external link) by Lucas (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1980/45473029212_d8940b6d38_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2chi​ak3  (external link) October2018 27 (external link) by Lucas (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1911/45523430741_516b1306ad_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2cmK​tWV  (external link) October2018 29 (external link) by Lucas (external link), on Flickr

Considering how much hate the XF 60mm still gets for it's AF, it did just fine in AF-C for shots like these on a windy day. I'd love to try it on an X-T3.

Fuji X-T3 // Fuji X-Pro2 (Full Spectrum) // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

clipper_from_oz
Goldmember
3,657 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Sep 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by clipper_from_oz. (3 edits in all)

Oct 27, 2018 03:58 |  #8947

PLLphotography wrote in post #18736874 (external link)
and I did. I bought both version 1.0 and 2.0 of his onelight class. it was informative to get me started, but at this point, I have no need for a subscription-based learning system. I acknowledge other people may be thrilled and signing up in droves. Youtube is a great source to find lessons for whatever you need.

Take Aaron Nace... fantastic at photoshop. has a subscription-based system for being able to access tons of photoshop tutorials. However... I can go no youtube, and PixImperfect does a fantastic job as well... for free. :D

My main point was, at first there seemed to be nothing of the type, then all of a sudden all of these well-known photographers bring out the same type of classes around the same time. Almost like they were all sitting around a table chit-chatting, one of them mentions they are thinking about an online subscription-based class, and all of them scramble to get one up and running.

Over here in Australia people can get the Government to subsidise it if they are smart. ( photography tuition)...All you need to do is say you want to change your job as its in jeopardy of structural change and then go and enrol in a govt subsidised "further education" study area ( photography is an approved area of study for Govt subsidy ) at Technical College /Uni ... Its a rort that many people are using for an area of interest they have but have no intention of working in .....Here in Victoria its under the Victorian Skills Gateway .....These courses ranging from certificate level to Diploma are subsidised from 40% of course costs up to 100% totally free. Depends on which Govt institution handling the course etc . Only problem doing it this way for someone is they have to pass exams :) And have to study some areas that may not be that interesting .......But hey....if you are someone who wants to seriously learn and want to for free ( and not via Youtube) and get a qualification at same time this is the way you would do it.....:)

Cheers

Clipper
R5, 5DSR, Fotoman 6x17cm Large Format Panorama Camera,Mamiya Universal 6x9
Canon EF 16-35mm f4 L, 17mm TSE f4 L,50mm f1.4, 24-70 f2.8 L, 70-200mm F4 L, 85mm f1.8, 100-400mm II L,
EF 400mm f2.8 IS II L, RF 600mm f4 IS L
Rodenstock, Sinar& Nikkor LF lens for Pano (75,95,150+210mm)
flickr (external link)

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
4,415 posts
Gallery: 382 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by Two Hot Shoes.

Oct 27, 2018 07:07 |  #8948

Had a few Yongnuo flashes until Godox made ones to fit and communicate with Fuji, then sold them on. Yongnuo are a great flash for a manual flash (had the 560-iii) used them for a couple of years and found them very reliable. For the price I didn't really care if it got a bit wet or a fall, they were 1/8 the price of the 580EX at the time. I have similar feelings towards the Godox Flashes although they are about 1.5 times the price of the Yongnuo ones. As a fuji shooter I happily shooting with Godox for now and seeing as I can buy almost six TT685's for the price of one canon 600EX I can easily have a few spares & have plant of funds left over to mount a rain cover on top of the flash if it's wet out. Top Tip: large food bag one of the ziplock ones works great as a quick cover if you get caught out.

The detail in close with the X-T3 And Capture One on the portrait of Ryan, stunningly good.

HOSTED PHOTO

Fujifilm cameras and lenses.
Gear I use to create (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)
Coffee & Fujis (external link)About Capture One (external link)YouTube (external link)

danialsturge
894 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Oct 27, 2018 09:26 |  #8949

One from sunrise this morning in the Peak District:

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1948/31707847318_e440a78e13_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/QiV1​jJ  (external link) 29 (external link) by Danial Sturge (external link), on Flickr

X100V

Furlan
849 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 27, 2018 09:44 |  #8950

Hoping that one of you learned members have a answer to my problem. X-H1 that I purchased used If I format the SD card it will
clean the card except for two files FFDB and FFXFER.DAT. I can format the card on a X-T1 and X-T2 and everything is deleted as soon
as I put the card in the X-H1 those two files are back on the card. I have searched many forums found the problem multiple times on
many X models but no solution as to the cause or the cure. Best I have come up with is that its somehow Apple related.

I found this problem when updating firmware I usually download and drop update onto a clean card. I am unable to open card to install
update as I can't open those files. I can work around it by formating card on my computer or other body. I just want to remove what
ever is loading these files.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,738 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 27, 2018 11:05 |  #8951

For the budget godox 685 flash is available for virtually all camera brands. Dirt cheap and they seem to work well.
So fortunate there’s a cheap solution for covering flash speedlight equipment.

V860mk2 is really the way to go for battery capacity!

Fuji - gone

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
4,415 posts
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by Two Hot Shoes. (2 edits in all)

Oct 27, 2018 11:19 |  #8952

clipper_from_oz wrote in post #18737295 (external link)
It would be faster however Im not sure if you can get the wire frame showing in that mode (eye AF mode) on the xt3. On the xt2/xt20 the wire frame /focus peeking can only be activated in manual focus setting so Im assuming will be the same on the Xt3?....The whole idea of using this focus peeking is as a check on the AF given the AF module sometimes confirms an on target af aquistion when its actually missed. Doesnt happen a lot however for me it was enough to warrant me using the Manual Focus setting using l back button AF( with focus peeking) . The beauty of using the weireframe/focus peeking is when the AF is aquired you see exactly what point the AF is taken from on/in film plane via the colored wireframe . Then if it doesnt look right like the mid point of the DOF wireframe isnt the same area as the AF point you either take another AF readfing via the AF backbutton or alternatively adjust the manual focus ring

The manual focus wireframe DOF focusing shown here at 5.09....https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=iTEmXYksqTk (external link) . This is for xt
-20 and includes touch screen however later on at 8.15 mark he shows using the back button AF work around that allows all the features together as Ive described above which will be for xpro 2 and xt 2 as they dont have touch screens. This is what I term the " have your cake and eat it as well " mode as it gives everything at once that someone needs for spot on focus without slowing everything down. That is... AF with focus peeking and if needed ability to manual focus via the focus ring

Cheers

You can have focus peaking active to check accuracy while in single AF mode (including eye AF) & also have full manual override (with FP active) but I'll get to that in a bit.
Works on all the X cameras.

First you need to set up your preferred focus assist choice, for here it's Focus Peaking. Then set AF+MF to 'On' in the second page of the AF/MF menu on the X-T3.
Once you do that you are set and all is a go!

Just use the shutter button as normal to focus and while holding the half press twist your focus ring. Et voila you now can see the focus assist (peaking / wire frame) appear...

And as a bonus tip you can also push the AF-L button to have the camera focus in manual mode if you prefer, simply stop pushing (or push again depending on you setting for that button) to go back to AF.

Happy shooting times in the non complicated world.

Furlan wrote in post #18737698 (external link)
Hoping that one of you learned members have a answer to my problem. X-H1 that I purchased used If I format the SD card it will
clean the card except for two files FFDB and FFXFER.DAT. I can format the card on a X-T1 and X-T2 and everything is deleted as soon
as I put the card in the X-H1 those two files are back on the card. I have searched many forums found the problem multiple times on
many X models but no solution as to the cause or the cure. Best I have come up with is that its somehow Apple related.

I found this problem when updating firmware I usually download and drop update onto a clean card. I am unable to open card to install
update as I can't open those files. I can work around it by formating card on my computer or other body. I just want to remove what
ever is loading these files.

Mine do that too, it's a flat file database where Fuji store 'things' about the photos so don't worry about it, it's supposed to be there.

Gear I use to create (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)
Coffee & Fujis (external link)About Capture One (external link)YouTube (external link)

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
6,465 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 27, 2018 17:48 |  #8953

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18737466 (external link)
Considering how much hate the XF 60mm still gets for it's AF, it did just fine in AF-C for shots like these on a windy day. I'd love to try it on an X-T3.

There was a firmware update a month or two ago for the 60mm macro!

kirk

Kirk
---

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,939 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 27, 2018 23:41 |  #8954

kirkt wrote in post #18737926 (external link)
There was a firmware update a month or two ago for the 60mm macro!

kirk

Thanks! I'll have to double check if I have that one or not... I updated it while I was on vacation back in August.

My cats are the nosiest neighbors... :lol:

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1972/45523420871_4d1d4b1108_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2cmK​r1K  (external link) October2018 34 (external link) by Lucas (external link), on Flickr

Fuji X-T3 // Fuji X-Pro2 (Full Spectrum) // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
4,415 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Oct 28, 2018 11:04 |  #8955

Cold day today, the Boy regretting leaving his gloves at home.

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1962/30659661407_370b0672d6_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/NHhM​aR  (external link) Castletown (external link) by Kim Farrelly (external link), on Flickr

sponsored links

4,290,072 views & 25,891 likes for this thread
Fuji Users Unite - Post your comments, questions and images here
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.