Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 27 Oct 2018 (Saturday) 20:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom Folder Missing

showtm490
945 posts
Gallery: 136 photos
Joined May 2007

Oct 27, 2018 20:17 |  #1

I recently updated my LR Classic CC but now my documents folder in my C drive is missing. How can I get it back? My computer also updated the Windows program.

JohnBphotography.net (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Sony A7 III with Grip - Canon 5D3 with Grip - Canon 16-35 f4 IS - Tamron 28-75 f2.8 - Canon 50 f1.4 - Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II - Canon 430EX - Flashpoint XPLOR600 - AB 47' Octa

sponsored links
ThreeHounds
838 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Oct 27, 2018 22:43 |  #2

I'm not a Windows user, but I know a bunch that went through this.
Hope this helps.

https://www.thewindows​club.com …windows-10-feature-update (external link)

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,702 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 9 months ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Oct 28, 2018 10:22 |  #3

The addition or update of an Application ('program') in your laptop ought not to have changed your Documents folder in any way.
Same comment for Windows update.

You inadvertantly caused the Documents folder to be moved into another folder, or you deleted it. You solution could be one of these...

1. Click on the Recycle Bin and see if Documents folder is inside the Recycle Bin. If it is, Right Click on top of its icon, then select 'Restore' option from the drop down menu in order to remove it from the Recycle Bin (or 'undelete' it), or
  2. Click Start, then type Documents in the small window labeled 'Find', and see where the Documents folder is moved into another folder. Once Windows Search has found the file, if you move the curson on top and then Right Click and choose the 'Open Folder locations', and then use drag and drop to restore the icon to your desktop.

Ordinarily Documents icon on the desktop is a surrogate icon for its true location, which is down within the Windows folder structure under C:/Users/(yourloginname)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

ThreeHounds
838 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Oct 28, 2018 11:20 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #4

Version 1809 of Window 10 update caused customer data loss to an extent that Microsoft paused the rollout and revised the update.

https://blogs.windows.​com …ders/#WBz2COz4p​ki59qMG.97 (external link)

EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

showtm490
THREAD ­ STARTER
945 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 28, 2018 12:50 |  #5

I still have my documents folder but it's no longer in my C drive. It now says it's under "This PC". Can I just move it into my C drive? If I delete the windows update will it return to the settings before? Thank you all.

Flickr (external link)
Sony A7 III with Grip - Canon 5D3 with Grip - Canon 16-35 f4 IS - Tamron 28-75 f2.8 - Canon 50 f1.4 - Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II - Canon 430EX - Flashpoint XPLOR600 - AB 47' Octa

Merlin_AZ
869 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Post edited 9 months ago by Merlin_AZ. (2 edits in all)

Oct 28, 2018 13:38 |  #6

Call MS support and they'll help you.
(800) 642 7676
https://support.micros​oft.com …windows-10-update-history (external link)

ThreeHounds
838 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Oct 28, 2018 18:08 as a reply to  @ showtm490's post |  #7

I read in one of MS's responses that the user's data is backed up for a short period (like 10 days) after the update is applied, in case you need to roll back. The Microsoft blog I linked to had some good info you should check out.

flickr (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,468 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Post edited 9 months ago by tzalman. (2 edits in all)

Oct 29, 2018 01:19 |  #8

showtm490 wrote in post #18738430 (external link)
I still have my documents folder but it's no longer in my C drive. It now says it's under "This PC". Can I just move it into my C drive? If I delete the windows update will it return to the settings before? Thank you all.

The folders listed on Explorer's "This PC" window, above the various drives and partitions, are shortcuts to frequently used folders on the C drive - displayed there for your convenience. Documents, Pictures, Desktop, etc. Their full path is C:/Users/User(your name)/xxx. The file is there, still on the C. (It was to be on some drive unless it has been deleted and This PC is not a drive, it is an index of drives). Leave it there and create new shortcuts if you need them.

Elie / אלי

showtm490
THREAD ­ STARTER
945 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 29, 2018 17:29 |  #9

I had a computer buddy remotely access my computer. For some reason when Windows updated it hid a lot of my folders. He went through changing the settings and now it's all back to normal.

Flickr (external link)

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,242 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Oct 29, 2018 20:16 |  #10

tzalman wrote in post #18738939 (external link)
The folders listed on Explorer's "This PC" window, above the various drives and partitions, are shortcuts to frequently used folders on the C drive - displayed there for your convenience. Documents, Pictures, Desktop, etc. Their full path is C:/Users/User(your name)/xxx. The file is there, still on the C. (It was to be on some drive unless it has been deleted and This PC is not a drive, it is an index of drives). Leave it there and create new shortcuts if you need them.

^^^^THIS.

Mark

sponsored links

1,071 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightroom Folder Missing
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.