Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Oct 2018 (Monday) 02:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

eos M6

Ltdave
Goldmember
2,966 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 15, 2018 02:56 |  #1

several years ago i was looking for a small pocket type camera to tote along with me vs the 5D3...

while not exactly pocketable, the EOS M was suggested (along with several of the Fuji cameras)...

i never did get the EOS M, and then a couple of years ago the M6 came out. i looked at it and since im a situational tightwad, i didnt jump on it either...

now, i dont see anything about it at all. i read reviews that said it was what Canon should have brought out the first time, and while i know not everyone here likes the M series, i was just wondering if it's faded off into the sunset. i never see any for sale on the secondary market so its just piqued my curiousity...

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,581 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 15, 2018 21:26 |  #2

Ltdave wrote in post #18729111 (external link)
several years ago i was looking for a small pocket type camera to tote along with me vs the 5D3...

while not exactly pocketable, the EOS M was suggested (along with several of the Fuji cameras)...

i never did get the EOS M, and then a couple of years ago the M6 came out. i looked at it and since im a situational tightwad, i didnt jump on it either...

now, i dont see anything about it at all. i read reviews that said it was what Canon should have brought out the first time, and while i know not everyone here likes the M series, i was just wondering if it's faded off into the sunset. i never see any for sale on the secondary market so its just piqued my curiousity...

The M5 had the integrated EVF, the M6 came out with the EVF as an optional accessory like the M models before the M5.

The most current one to look at, and the one I just bought, is the M50. It gets rave reviews and seems like the best mirrorless APSC right now.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

khwaja
874 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 15, 2018 21:30 |  #3

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18729800 (external link)
The M5 had the integrated EVF, the M6 came out with the EVF as an optional accessory like the M models before the M5.

The most current one to look at, and the one I just bought, is the M50. It gets rave reviews and seems like the best mirrorless APSC right now.

TeanSpeed,
Did you move from sl2 to M50? I remember you are postings in sl2 forum. Can you please your feedback on mirrorless tracking vs dslr.

Canon 6D Mark 2, 50mm STM

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,581 posts
Joined May 2002

Oct 15, 2018 21:49 |  #4

khwaja wrote in post #18729803 (external link)
TeanSpeed,
Did you move from sl2 to M50? I remember you are postings in sl2 forum. Can you please your feedback on mirrorless tracking vs dslr.

Okay will do. The SL2 only had 9 AF and it wasn't all that great for tracking quite frankly. I think the M50 will be about as good overall, and I like the extra features, like the smaller lenses, the ability to manual focus easier, eye AF and more AF points.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,897 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 5 months ago by mdvaden.

Oct 15, 2018 22:40 |  #5

Ltdave wrote in post #18729111 (external link)

I bought my M5 when the M6 was already released for a while. I preferred the integrated view finder and the screen works fine for my needs. You won't find mine for sale, because it's a great little camera. I bought mine refurbished and at the time Canon threw in the adapter at no extra cost. For my needs I carry a small pack and don't need small lenses. But I could make the M5 at least coat pocketable with a couple of small lenses. If you don't see many for sale, I suspect it's because a good percentage of the users like keeping it around. Using similar lenses, I found the image colors from the M5 to be very close to that of my 5DS

The only feature that bothers me sometimes with my M5 is where the video button is located because I'm inclined to place my thumb there. But it's partly due to the button there plus it being a much smaller body than my 5DS.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,966 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 15, 2018 23:47 |  #6

thanks everyone. maybe ill give the M5 a look see...

everyone ive talked to really REALLY likes the small fujis and honestly i actually went with cash in pocket to a brick and mortar store nearly 2 hours away to look at the X-E3 and the X100f, but i like my canons. id love to stay with them. a local photographer has the fuji X-T1 (wants to upgrade to the 'T3 but $$) and ive held it and played around with it a little and it is really solid and reminds me of the Pentax film SLRs from the early 80s in size (compared to the larger N-C-M brands)...

what i like about the M6 without the viewfinder is it doesnt LOOK like a professional camera and i really want to expand my street photography. ive had people say no to their photo, when ive had my gripped 5D3...

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,999 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 16, 2018 00:38 |  #7

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18729800 (external link)
...the M50. It gets rave reviews and seems like the best mirrorless APSC right now.

Best CANON mirrorless APSC right now maybe. The X-t3 would be my bet for best overall APSC mirrorless.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,999 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 16, 2018 00:38 as a reply to  @ Ltdave's post |  #8

Give the Fujifilm system a try. You may really like it. I did and have sold all of my Canon gear. No regrets.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,581 posts
Joined May 2002

Oct 16, 2018 04:42 as a reply to  @ FarmerTed1971's post |  #9

Well sure, but when a person posts questions about the m series, my answer is intended to be in within that context. I assume the person doesn't want to leave that ecosystem. If they want to expand outside of that, my answer is no longer accurate. I suspect many that post in the Canon EOS board don't want to change.

omer
Goldmember
1,170 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 19, 2018 19:19 |  #10

I have the m6 along with the 80D
I really like the small size
A great little camera
Great for street photography
I also bought the separate evf works very well
With adapter i can use all my lenses if i want

80D | 7D | M6 | 15-85 | 70-300 L | Sig 10-20 | 50 1.8 |100 2.8 macro|28 F2.8 | efs24| efm 15-45| efs 55-250 stm |270EX | 430EXII |

trikeflyer
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 28, 2018 21:05 |  #11

I love the size of the M6 and given the latest discounts offered by Canon I couldn't pass it up. Planning on getting the adapter to use all my other lenses.

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,568 posts
Gallery: 327 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 28, 2018 21:15 |  #12

trikeflyer wrote in post #18738791 (external link)
I love the size of the M6 and given the latest discounts offered by Canon I couldn't pass it up. Planning on getting the adapter to use all my other lenses.

I've got one coming Tuesday. The price was too good. Trying to sell my M3 to offset it. Probably a stupid move as it's not a huge jump over the M3. Pretty excited about it either way. I've gotten some killer shots with my M3.

Canon EOS M6 - EOS R - EF, EF-M and RF lenses
Donate for Forum Costs

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,897 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 4 months ago by mdvaden. (2 edits in all)

Oct 28, 2018 22:49 |  #13

trikeflyer wrote in post #18738791 (external link)

I wasn't sure whether my M5 would take forever to sell here in a smaller city Craigslist. Had it last week for $595 with adapter. Only 1000 clicks or so. Tonight I saw Canon had the 18-55mm EF-M refurbished for $149, so I pulled my ad and ordered the lens. I figured I could sell it again and probably add most of the $149. But the camera is so conveniently compact, I thought maybe I should just keep it seeing the condition is immaculate.

On Canon USA site tonight, I noticed some fairly low prices for refurbished M6 alone or bundled with a lens.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

mcoren
624 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Oct 29, 2018 00:02 |  #14

mdvaden wrote in post #18729839 (external link)
The only feature that bothers me sometimes with my M5 is where the video button is located because I'm inclined to place my thumb there. But it's partly due to the button there plus it being a much smaller body than my 5DS.

This can be fixed. I had the same problem with my M5. I solved it by reprogramming the video button to do nothing, and the M-Fn button to be video. Problem solved! It’s all in the custom functions.

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

mcoren
624 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Oct 29, 2018 00:10 |  #15

Ltdave wrote in post #18729860 (external link)
thanks everyone. maybe ill give the M5 a look see...

If you want the integrated viewfinder, I don’t think you can go wrong with either the M5 or M50. The M50 is faster due to its DIGIC 8 processor, and it has 4K video. It is also a lot less expensive, although right now (I think through November 2 or 3) Canon has the M5 kits at really competitive prices.

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

sponsored links

3,103 views & 4 likes for this thread
eos M6
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.