Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 29 Oct 2018 (Monday) 04:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3D photos

Savethemoment
488 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 29, 2018 04:57 |  #1

Oh blimey. I’ve just seen my first 3D photo.. an ordinary selfie taken by a regular person with apparently no particular photography obsession, just some fun new toy or app.

I have zero idea how this is done and suddenly feel way behind with the news! As a passionate amateur photographer it looks a bit gimmicky to me and I’m not necessarily keen to try it out myself, but it’s still impressive and I can see it being a bit of a game changer at least for regular happy snappers who post on social media.

Thoughts, anyone?

Always learning
Always looking for the good light

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,850 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 10 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Oct 29, 2018 05:25 |  #2

Unless there is a stereographic image you are looking at, the only thing I can think you saw was just a photo with subject isolation. Do you have a source for this image?

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Savethemoment
THREAD ­ STARTER
488 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 29, 2018 05:42 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #3

It’s in a private Facebook group I’m part of so don’t think there’s any way I could share it here. Subject isolation might be a more accurate description than 3D because it was only the person who seemed to be 3D, not the background...

Always learning

Savethemoment
THREAD ­ STARTER
488 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Post edited 10 months ago by Savethemoment.

Oct 29, 2018 05:46 |  #4

Just had another look and the subject only really appears 3D as you scroll up & down, not while it’s still. But it’s an interesting effect.

Sorry everyone if this is old news, I hadn’t seen it before and it was striking.

Always learning

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,850 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 10 months ago by TeamSpeed. (5 edits in all)

Oct 29, 2018 06:49 |  #5

Snip or screen cut it and post that?

Perhaps this is the news you missed?
https://facebook360.fb​.com …ut-on-facebook-and-in-vr/ (external link)

Since it is manufacturing the two perspectives of what the two eyes would have seen from a single picture, it manufactures data, and doesn't do that well. Take a look at the video and notice the cabinet edge shift. Some of the latest phones do have two cameras though, but right now they are being used to generate the narrow DOF view by merging the results of the two cameras, running at different focus points.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Savethemoment
THREAD ­ STARTER
488 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 29, 2018 07:04 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #6

Yes, that article describes what I saw - thanks!

I’ve realised the 3D effect is really only apparent when you scroll around in the photo, so even if I screenshot it here it wouldn’t show properly. (It would also be against the FB group’s rules).

Anyway I recommend people check this out if they’re on that platform, or anywhere else it’s available. It’s very interesting and feels a bit like a glimpse into the future, makes me think we’ll be looking at something far more advanced in 5-10 years time..

Always learning

Savethemoment
THREAD ­ STARTER
488 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Post edited 10 months ago by Savethemoment with reason 'Avoiding repetition of a word:-)'.

Oct 29, 2018 07:14 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #7

Yes the 3D effect isn’t perfect, but it’s interesting and thought-provoking as to how quickly it’s likely to become popular.

I imagine it will develop quite fast to give more and more convincing results.

Always learning

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,850 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 10 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Oct 29, 2018 07:19 as a reply to  @ Savethemoment's post |  #8

I am not sure what it does for you, other than catch your attention to the photo and nothing much more than that. It doesn't look 3D to me, just looks like a side to side video effect. After having made stereographic images and knowing how to view them, anything else advertised as 3D just doesn't do it for me.

Example, if you are able to focus beyond your screen or use the cross-eye method, this is truly 3D. But it isn't as glamorous or fun as moving pictures. :)

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Still-Life/Artistic-Musings/i-q7Lk947/0/4ecdda69/O/3dtest.jpg

Savethemoment
THREAD ­ STARTER
488 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 29, 2018 07:55 |  #9

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18739070 (external link)
I am not sure what it does for you, other than catch your attention to the photo and nothing much more than that. It doesn't look 3D to me, just looks like a side to side video effect. After having made stereographic images and knowing how to view them, anything else advertised as 3D just doesn't do it for me.

Example, if you are able to focus beyond your screen or use the cross-eye method, this is truly 3D. But it isn't as glamorous or fun as moving pictures. :)

QUOTED IMAGE

Well fair enough, but the effect in the example I saw did definitely look 3D. It was striking and quite different to anything I’ve seen in a normal still photo.

I think the average social media user will see 3D as good fun, and 2D photos might soon seem rather boring & dated to them. I hope not, because I love our craft and don’t want to see gimmicky effects grabbing even more attention. Judging by the comments I’ve seen on FB so far for this one example, people are impressed and intrigued - and the group is quite unrelated to photography.

I wonder if wedding pros will soon be asked by social media obsessed brides for 3D pics.. -? :-P

Always learning

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,850 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 10 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Oct 29, 2018 08:27 as a reply to  @ Savethemoment's post |  #10

IMO, the effect is roughly the same as those images you see at mall kiosks where they look 3d as you move around them. I think photographic art as we know it is safe for quite some time yet. :)

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001
Post edited 10 months ago by teekay.

Oct 29, 2018 11:56 |  #11

Years ago I was playing around with my new Canon G1 and made this 3-D image with the idea of reproducing what the eye actually sees.

IMAGE: http://community.netidea.com/teekay/temp/3DMerge.jpg
Done by shooting two images, with the green object centered, but the camera moved sideways about 12" between shots. But I don't suppose this is anything like what you are talking about, Savethemoment?

King ­ Kenny
895 posts
Gallery: 779 photos
Joined Dec 2016

Oct 29, 2018 14:07 |  #12

My old Kodak printer came with a 3D maker. It merges two photos taken 3 inches apart and renders them in red and blue. The resulting image can be viewed using Anaglyphic glasses.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"I don't Know where I am but I'm having a lovely time."

Kenny

Savethemoment
THREAD ­ STARTER
488 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Post edited 10 months ago by Savethemoment.

Oct 29, 2018 16:41 |  #13

These images are interesting, but what I saw on FB was a lot more convincing.. I’m sure you’ll be seeing examples of the same soon, whether you seek them out or not!

Teamspeed I avoid shopping malls like the proverbial plague and haven’t seen what you describe there. I do hope you’re right about the long term survival of 2D images :-)

Always learning

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,850 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 10 months ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Oct 29, 2018 16:55 |  #14

Savethemoment wrote in post #18739477 (external link)
These images are interesting, but what I saw on FB was a lot more convincing.. I’m sure you’ll be seeing examples of the same soon, whether you seek them out or not!

Teamspeed I avoid shopping malls like the proverbial plague and haven’t seen what you describe there. I do hope you’re right about the long term survival of 2D images :-)

The facebook tech of taking an image, splitting it into 2 layers and rotating each about a single vantage point has been around a while, but using 2 images. Here is an article from a decade ago. This article below produces a more realistic because it involves taking 2 pictures slight offset from one another. The facebook filter is taking a single image and try to create the same effect, but has to create material that doesn't exist in the image.

https://www.adorama.co​m …o-Make-Animated-3D-Images (external link)

Savethemoment
THREAD ­ STARTER
488 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 29, 2018 17:04 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #15

Cool. I didn’t know that.. I came straight to POTN when I saw that image because I knew someone would have good background info :-)

Now the latest smartphones and social media make this effect easily available to regular people I’m sure its popularity will spread, and that the tech will continue to improve further.

Always learning

sponsored links

3,405 views & 1 like for this thread
3D photos
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.