Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Sep 2018 (Wednesday) 02:31
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How's the new EOS-R stack up for you?"
It's Amazing!
26.5%
It's kind of a let down
33.8%
It's trash
8.5%
It's good for the price
23.5%
It helped me pick a new body
7.7%

189 voters, 260 votes given (3 choices choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?

this thread is locked
welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,422 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 29, 2018 16:31 |  #2191

Well, Jareds review was pretty glowing, a camera so good Canon should just kill off it's entire DSLR range and go all in with mirrorless in the future? Quite a thing to say.....

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

sponsored links
patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,246 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 29, 2018 17:23 |  #2192

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #18739465 (external link)
Well, Jareds review was pretty glowing, a camera so good Canon should just kill off it's entire DSLR range and go all in with mirrorless in the future? Quite a thing to say.....

Yeah, that was quite a thing to hear him say. He said the 6D Mark 2 is dead, and even thought the EOS R could be a better choice than the 5D Mk 4. A thousand messages or so ago I posted something from Ken Rockwell who thinks mirrorless is pretty much the future of photography, seems like Polis is indirectly agreeing with him. At this point DSLR's are the more mature technology and so still offer some advantages, but I think if all things are equal, mirrorless seems to offer more benefits.

Flickr (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,523 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 29, 2018 20:22 |  #2193

I have finally heard from a top Canon explorer of light photographer and 2 others that have the body and are currently using it. One is a nationally recognized industry expert in the wedding industry. They other 2 are outstanding photographers

Here are the thoughts from the wedding photographer....and something to think about for AF performance

" I am still getting to know it - I'm 100% not comfortable shooting a single card slot camera at a wedding, and Canon knows that, so I'm just playing with it for now. AF in the dark is good, but it's not a Mark IV - and it's not trying to be. For daytime shooting it's VERY light and VERY fast...and the new lenses will be game changers."

Its all about the glass folks. Canon will have a dual card body out before next summer. You can take that to the bank

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited 4 months ago by samueli.

Oct 29, 2018 20:34 |  #2194

umphotography wrote in post #18739632 (external link)
I have finally heard from a top Canon explorer of light photographer and 2 others that have the body and are currently using it. One is a nationally recognized industry expert in the wedding industry. They other 2 are outstanding photographers

Here are the thoughts from the wedding photographer....and something to think about for AF performance

" I am still getting to know it - I'm 100% not comfortable shooting a single card slot camera at a wedding, and Canon knows that, so I'm just playing with it for now. AF in the dark is good, but it's not a Mark IV - and it's not trying to be. For daytime shooting it's VERY light and VERY fast...and the new lenses will be game changers."

Its all about the glass folks. Canon will have a dual card body out before next summer. You can take that to the bank

You mean take it out of the bank.

I still hate Canon right now, that I'll have to buy the next camera to get what I wanted in an upgrade, and this camera will be sitting as a waste or worth half it's price resale. It's dummies like me that fill the pockets of the rich people.

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,897 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 29, 2018 20:38 |  #2195

umphotography wrote in post #18739632 (external link)

Yes, from all the comments and examples I've seen, it's not a Mk iv, but exceeds the Mark iv in some ways, yet not in others. I shoot in dark more than the average photographer due to the redwoods 300 to 380 foot canopy. In a few weeks, I will be capturing images to compare for both portraits and scenery.

Whether photographers get into the RF mount now or next year, certainly a lot of them are going to have an enjoyable time with some nice new gear.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 29, 2018 20:42 as a reply to  @ samueli's post |  #2196

I rented a 5DIV on a trip I took recently, and the R is very similar, aside from the fact mentioned that it's not trying to be a 5DIV. Really similar though.

I'm sitting in my living room playing with the new Fv mode taking pictures in just about complete darkness. The pictures are sharp and focus is on. ISO 40000, but sharp.

mcoren
624 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Oct 29, 2018 20:45 |  #2197

patrick j wrote in post #18739522 (external link)
Yeah, that was quite a thing to hear him say. He said the 6D Mark 2 is dead, and even thought the EOS R could be a better choice than the 5D Mk 4. A thousand messages or so ago I posted something from Ken Rockwell who thinks mirrorless is pretty much the future of photography, seems like Polis is indirectly agreeing with him. At this point DSLR's are the more mature technology and so still offer some advantages, but I think if all things are equal, mirrorless seems to offer more benefits.

I think DSLRs are far from dead at this point, but mirrorless is rapidly maturing. There is no technical reason that I have heard why a mirrorless camera can't outperform an equivalent DSLR, whether it's a 6Dii, 5Div, or 1DXii. It's all about marketing and product positioning: which legacy product's sales do you want to cannibalize first?

The EOS R has limits to its frame rate with AF, but if Canon were to set out to develop a sensor that is capable of continuous AF at 10 FPS (or 20), I have no doubt that they could do so.

In addition, mirrorless seems to offer the following advantages (as well as many others that have been beaten to death in this thread):

- No need for AFMA, since AF is done by the same sensor that takes the image
- Higher FPS, since there's no moving mirror or shutter curtain. The FPS on a mirrorless camera is limited by electronics and software rather than the speed of moving parts.
- No shutter blackout
- Truly silent operation

I think there will be an overlap period where Canon's mirrorless offerings will gradually replace their DSLR counterparts. We've already seen it at the low-to-mid range (EOS M as mirrorless Rebels, EOS R as a mirrorless 6Dii), and I think we'll see it in the 80D, 5D, and 1D equivalences as those models are gradually replaced. I'm sure we'll still see new DSLRs released in all product ranges too, since large companies like Canon like to have multiple developments going on in parallel, and they like to offer as wide a product range as possible. However, I would expect, over the next 5+ years, the emphasis will shift away from DSLRs to mirrorless, just like it did from film SLRs to digital 15 years ago (not a perfect analogy, I realize, so it might take longer for DSLR to mirrorless).

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,523 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 29, 2018 20:50 |  #2198

I live in the dark. Im at 6400-12800 ISO so much is scary. Everything is dark now at receptions. I shoot into backlight all night long. The 5D4 and the 1Dx2 rarely miss and always lock and get the shots. I cant take a chance with an adapter not getting shots like these. They happen in a split second and most of the time they are not staged. I shoot very photojournalistic after the formals. AF has to work and it has to work in the dark for me to buy the body

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,523 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 29, 2018 20:55 |  #2199

I Cant miss father daughter shots ever. This was very easy to get on the 1D. This is pretty bright even though the ISO is at 5000.....today this is considered bright light. If a mirrorless body struggles to hit this, it will never work for a wedding photographer. I know the Sony Native glass guys have no issues hitting this shot. However, the guys on adapted glass tell me they dont even try. They go back to the 5D4's and 1Ds' for important shots like this in light like this.....cant happen for wedding photographers

HOSTED PHOTO

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,897 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 4 months ago by mdvaden. (3 edits in all)

Oct 29, 2018 21:06 |  #2200

umphotography wrote in post #18739651 (external link)
I live in the dark. Im at 6400-12800 ISO so much is scary. Everything is dark now at receptions. I shoot into backlight all night long. The 5D4 and the 1Dx2 rarely miss and always lock and get the shots. I cant take a chance with an adapter not getting shots like these. They happen in a split second and most of the time they are not staged. I shoot very photojournalistic after the formals. AF has to work and it has to work in the dark for me to buy the body

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by umphotography in
./showthread.php?p=187​39651&i=i141471945
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by umphotography in
./showthread.php?p=187​39651&i=i144705462

That's the nice thing about this progression. Until the features exist that are must haves, like your want for dual card slots, in the meanwhile you still have two excellent cameras go shoot with. So you're on a road to success either way. Actually, both bodies you listed are so nice, I was considering buying one of those as well the past couple weeks. The reason I didn't was to afford some RF glass for the EOS R. Otherwise, I can imagine you hanging onto either of those even if you do get a pro version EOS R in the future.

It's probably worth recalling what Travis Harris shared in his video, that the adapted EF lenses on EOS R are better than on his 1DX (ii ?) ... which implies possibly a greater risk of not getting a shot with out the EOS R. Interesting angle to ponder.

RE the redwoods and the new EOS R on it's way here tomorrow or the next day, I already sent a shout-out to a test subject near the redwoods. This is one of my practice assistants. Her sister's blonde hair is easier to deal with in the forest. So I find her very fine brunette hair a good challenge to work with.

I photographed her with the Canon 5DS and 5D mk iii. I plan to use the EOS R and RF 50mm 1.2. But out of curiousity, I may bring my Canon M5 that I don't recall taking portraits with before.

HOSTED PHOTO

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

ettlz
254 posts
Joined Feb 2007
Post edited 4 months ago by ettlz. (6 edits in all)

Oct 30, 2018 03:53 |  #2201

mcoren wrote in post #18739648 (external link)
- No need for AFMA, since AF is done by the same sensor that takes the image

DPAF is still phase-detect, which compares light rays from the outer portions of the lens. It must still account for residual spherical aberrations, and most front/back focus issues I have seen are where the lens's internal tables characterising this are incorrect (not variations in body light path distances). I think in principle it's perfectly possible to have back/front-focus issues with these systems, since I'm not certain that they apply a secondary contrast-detect phase with all lenses.

Canon EOS 60D :: Canon EOS 7D :: Canon EOS 10 :: Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM :: Manual-focus Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM :: Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,523 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 30, 2018 09:01 |  #2202

samueli wrote in post #18739647 (external link)
I rented a 5DIV on a trip I took recently, and the R is very similar, aside from the fact mentioned that it's not trying to be a 5DIV. Really similar though.

I'm sitting in my living room playing with the new Fv mode taking pictures in just about complete darkness. The pictures are sharp and focus is on. ISO 40000, but sharp.

do you have that ISO right

$40000 or 4000

40000 and a clean sharp file would be impressive

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 30, 2018 09:30 |  #2203

umphotography wrote in post #18739940 (external link)
do you have that ISO right

$40000 or 4000

40000 and a clean sharp file would be impressive

Sharp, good focus performance. Clean, not so much. If I was taking pictures of something other than my shoes or various effects in my living room, I would've worked them to see how well they clean up. Playing with Fv, I opened up the ISO to see what it would come up with.

i-G12
Wat?
1,641 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 30, 2018 09:56 |  #2204

mdvaden wrote in post #18739661 (external link)
That's the nice thing about this progression. Until the features exist that are must haves, like your want for dual card slots, in the meanwhile you still have two excellent cameras go shoot with. So you're on a road to success either way. Actually, both bodies you listed are so nice, I was considering buying one of those as well the past couple weeks. The reason I didn't was to afford some RF glass for the EOS R. Otherwise, I can imagine you hanging onto either of those even if you do get a pro version EOS R in the future.

It's probably worth recalling what Travis Harris shared in his video, that the adapted EF lenses on EOS R are better than on his 1DX (ii ?) ... which implies possibly a greater risk of not getting a shot with out the EOS R. Interesting angle to ponder.

RE the redwoods and the new EOS R on it's way here tomorrow or the next day, I already sent a shout-out to a test subject near the redwoods. This is one of my practice assistants. Her sister's blonde hair is easier to deal with in the forest. So I find her very fine brunette hair a good challenge to work with.

I photographed her with the Canon 5DS and 5D mk iii. I plan to use the EOS R and RF 50mm 1.2. But out of curiousity, I may bring my Canon M5 that I don't recall taking portraits with before.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by mdvaden in
./showthread.php?p=187​39661&i=i115058085

I don’t care about the camera but the model is stunning!!!

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,581 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 30, 2018 10:52 |  #2205

samueli wrote in post #18739968 (external link)
Sharp, good focus performance. Clean, not so much. If I was taking pictures of something other than my shoes or various effects in my living room, I would've worked them to see how well they clean up. Playing with Fv, I opened up the ISO to see what it would come up with.

I routinely shoot at ISO 25600, since I am shooting night performances. I shoot JPEG from the camera in these environments, and only go to the raw if exposure is off, which is rarely.

The 5D4 is one of Canon's best cameras IMO, it is very well rounded. I suspect the next FF mirrorless will be acknowledged in the same way, so 2019 should be interesting!

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Carroll-Events/CHS-Football-and-Marching-Band-Aug-31/i-8ZZ2DLx/1/b98c7dad/X2/FX8A1247-X2.jpg

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

115,520 views & 1,660 likes for this thread
EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.