Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 21:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Eneloop Pro batteries for speedlite

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 30, 2018 01:53 |  #31

So I tried the Eneloops this past Sunday and they do help cycle the flash faster in less than 1.5 seconds. But eventually they died out and used the second set of Eneloops. Both ended up getting hot after they were done and then ended up using a set of energizers. I kept the flash at 1/4 and 1/2 power all the time. Did use it as it was used in church and the reception for the event (beptism) was in a small restaurant. No room for my Speedotron. Did feel that it did get good use out of the new batteries. I wasn't expecting to use the one during the 4-5 hour event.

sponsored links
drmaxx
Goldmember
1,210 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 30, 2018 02:19 |  #32

firme wrote in post #18739779 (external link)
Both ended up getting hot after they were done [...]

That is quite typical for NiMH under high current loads (as in high drain or high charge) - as long as you still can hold them comfortably there is nothing to worry.

Donate if you love POTN

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 30, 2018 09:32 |  #33

Out of curiosity, if too hot to hold with bare hand what does that mean for the batteries other than bad news for my hand?

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
1,098 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2015

Oct 30, 2018 09:50 |  #34

firme wrote in post #18739972 (external link)
Out of curiosity, if too hot to hold with bare hand what does that mean for the batteries other than bad news for my hand?

I’ve never had a battery that hot. Warm
Yes. I’d bin the battery if that hot.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

ra40
864 posts
Gallery: 343 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 30, 2018 13:53 |  #35

The Panasonic site lists the battery may reach 50C when charging. If a cell seems hotter than others, I agree that it may be going south and to cease using it. The NiMh of mine usually begin to drop in capacity to a point that they don't power the item sufficiently. Then I place those into low use like the solar garden lights or the Maha C-9000 will reject them.

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,210 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 30, 2018 14:48 |  #36

firme wrote in post #18739972 (external link)

Heat increases aging of the batteries. They lifespan (number of possible recharge cycles) deteriorates faster if you let them get too hot - e.g. by using fast chargers or overcharging them - so that the excess electricity you apply is directly converted to heat. And of course if you do something terribly stupid you also can melt something.

Donate if you love POTN

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 30, 2018 14:59 |  #37

ra40, that would suck if they are no good as I got these 2 weeks ago and were used for the first time this past Sunday. Did not charge them before I used them as it stated they were charged already.

I guess I have to pay more attention if applicable how many flashes I get until they start getting warm instead of hot and guessing the more I use them the less flashes it will have before getting warm/hot also.

At the price I paid for these, sure as heck don't want them to have a shorter life. :-(

Thanks guys.

ra40
864 posts
Gallery: 343 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 30, 2018 16:48 as a reply to  @ firme's post |  #38

Ouch, yeah, that would be disappointing. The speedlite takes longer to recharge so that allows me to to estimate that I'll have to swap them soon. Seldom have to go above 1/2 power. Shot a family gathering to the point the flash ceased to fire. No spares on hand so I was stuck.

The Candle Power discussions has a variety of methods that users like to break in their batteries. I use them straight then place them into the C-9000 for a break-in cycle. There after recharged on a regular cycle. If they sit or drop in capacity selecting a discharge and recharge or refresh cycle. I have some Eneloops from Gen 1 that are still in use. Granted not high demand tough they work well in my speedlites.

The Powerex MAHA C-9000 or La Crosse Technology BC700 are well regarded recharging units. May be a consideration if your rechargeable accumulation is growing.

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,210 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 30, 2018 17:04 |  #39

ra40 wrote in post #18740304 (external link)
The Candle Power discussions has a variety of methods that users like to break in their batteries.

I never quite understood the need for break-in. Yes, it takes a few cycles to get the maximum storage capacity out of the batteries - but in most real life this just doesn't matter that much. Instead of breaking in the batteries, just enjoy the additional few cycles you get. If you are interested in max. lifespan then it is much more important to care for the batteries during the normal use. E.g. Using them frequently (NiMH like to be used), discharge them (refresh) fully from time to time - but don't drain them completely to 0 V, use a good charger, use a proper charging current, don't drop them too much, ....

Donate if you love POTN

sponsored links

4,828 views & 3 likes for this thread
Eneloop Pro batteries for speedlite
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.