Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 28 Oct 2018 (Sunday) 01:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Alternatives to PhotoMechanic

lacogada
287 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2015

Oct 29, 2018 09:12 as a reply to  @ post 18738204 |  #16

StarJack :I'm looking for suggestions for software programs that would allow me to cull and rate photos before I import them into Lightroom

drmaxx : However, I am not quite sure why the OP don't just use Lightroom for DAM and culling?

One reason could be ... not to put images that will be deleted any way, onto your harddrive.

That's how I use FRV.
Images are culled from sd card.
With one key press, a keeper image, is saved to folder of my choosing.
Trash images stay on sd card and card is formatted in camera.
No deleting trash images from computer harddrive.

I then drag the folder of keeper images only, into LR.

sponsored links
DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,891 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 29, 2018 12:59 |  #17

lacogada wrote in post #18739145 (external link)
One reason could be ... not to put images that will be deleted any way, onto your harddrive.

That's how I use FRV.
Images are culled from sd card.
With one key press, a keeper image, is saved to folder of my choosing.
Trash images stay on sd card and card is formatted in camera.
No deleting trash images from computer harddrive.

I then drag the folder of keeper images only, into LR.

You can do this with LR as well. Only import the keepers

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M
https://designcostello​.com/ (external link)

StarJack
THREAD ­ STARTER
601 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 29, 2018 16:16 |  #18

Pippan wrote in post #18738105 (external link)
FastRawViewer

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Regards,
Steve

StarJack
THREAD ­ STARTER
601 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 29, 2018 16:16 |  #19

Thank you, I will investigate this too.

Regards,
Steve

StarJack
THREAD ­ STARTER
601 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 29, 2018 16:38 |  #20

drmaxx wrote in post #18738204 (external link)
It is difficult to beat free, if all you want is culling.

However, I am not quite sure why the OP don't just use Lightroom for DAM and culling? With many pictures I cull them by going through them in several passes - filtering everything out from the last pass. First pass: kick out everything off the charts (not in focus or otherwise flawed). Second pass: give one star for anything that is worth having a second look. Third pass: give two stars for keepers and three stars for clear winners. Higher stars are reserved for after processing. By doing this, I can focus on one thing only and are much faster and more consistent then making all the decision for every single picture.

This is what I've done for years, but it's simply become a matter of speed. When importing 1-3K photos from my cards (1000x to 150 MBS) I build 1 to 1 previews it can easily take over 30 minutes. Even after that walking thru the files in Lightroom has just become too slow, it takes 1/2 - 1 second for the image to fully load (it'll show, then sharpen), if I need to go into 1 to 1, it's another 1/2 to full second for the final sharp image to load. Depending upon how shutter happy I got, 1/4 to 1/2 the images are going to be deleted/removed. I'm pretty fast and hard on the first pass, I could be knocking out images twice as fast without the lightroom delays, and then I'm importing fewer images. I love Lightroom in general, but it's not a 'fast' browser.

Regards,
Steve

StarJack
THREAD ­ STARTER
601 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 29, 2018 16:38 |  #21

digital paradise wrote in post #18738286 (external link)
What camera system do you use?

My primary is a Canon 5D MK IV (99% raw)

Regards,
Steve

StarJack
THREAD ­ STARTER
601 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 29, 2018 16:41 |  #22

digital paradise wrote in post #18738347 (external link)
Have you tried Embedded & Sidecar for LR imports? Adobe's answer to avoiding the need for 3rd party culling software.

I have not!

Regards,
Steve

StarJack
THREAD ­ STARTER
601 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 29, 2018 16:43 |  #23

digital paradise wrote in post #18739084 (external link)
Since the OP has not responded to which camera system my first cull is using Canon's DPP in quick check - full screen mode. DPP's downsizing algorithm for 'fit to screen' display is very good - contrasty which creates the illusion of sharpness. It is fast and I just X unwanted/unusable files and delete them. Then I import to LR.

Thanks, another good idea to try!

Regards,
Steve

StarJack
THREAD ­ STARTER
601 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 29, 2018 16:44 |  #24

DagoImaging wrote in post #18739305 (external link)

I am not following, would you mind elaborating?

Regards,
Steve

StarJack
THREAD ­ STARTER
601 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 29, 2018 16:50 |  #25

I didn't mean to vanish for a couple days, but you know, life. When I finally get back home and back to my PC later this week I'll check back. My home PC BTW is I7-7700 @ 4.2 GHz with 32 GB and a GTX 1080, and all new imports and recent folders are sitting on SSD's. I've noted no slowness with any other applications. Thanks again for your time and suggestions!

Regards,
Steve

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,298 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 29, 2018 18:18 |  #26

StarJack wrote in post #18739478 (external link)
I have not!

http://lightroomsoluti​ons.com …low-in-lightroom-classic/ (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,298 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 29, 2018 18:21 |  #27

StarJack wrote in post #18739482 (external link)
Thanks, another good idea to try!

At the end get out of quick check and Edit - Rating - Select Rejected Images Only and then trash them.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

lacogada
287 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2015

Oct 30, 2018 09:12 |  #28

DagoImaging wrote in post #18739305 (external link)

I stand corrected ... thought you had to import into LR before doing anything.

Thanks

GammyKnee
184 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Feb 2015
Post edited 3 months ago by GammyKnee. (2 edits in all)

Oct 30, 2018 13:18 |  #29

This is probably a bit late but I'll contribute it anyway: if a trial version of an app ends prematurely or you genuinely didn't get chance to evaluate it properly, send a message to the support desk and ask for a trial extension. I'd be very surprised if they don't have the ability to grant this or refuse to do so (assuming you ask nicely). It used to be standard practice for just about every shareware product out there and probably still is; certainly it's what I've always done for my own products.

Formerly Beanie's Dad (account lost in forum update)
Gear: 5D II & IV, assorted lenses, Canon & Yongnuo flash

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Oct 31, 2018 08:47 |  #30

I second the recommendation to ask for a trial extension on PhotoMechanic, especially because you are talking about 1000 images at a time. PhotoMechanic is so good at handling large volumes quickly (it's what photojournalists, especially sports photographers, heavy wedding photographers and stock photographers tend to use). Which that kind of volume, a few seconds shaved off starts to add up to a lot over thousands of images. Plus you can start using it for culling while it is still bringing in, backing up and automatically keywording images in the background. So fast.

You might also consider Bridge, which is free with your Adobe subscription. It's a lot faster than LR for culling and you can do it before importing.

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

sponsored links

3,666 views & 8 likes for this thread
Alternatives to PhotoMechanic
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.