Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 28 Oct 2018 (Sunday) 01:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Alternatives to PhotoMechanic

nutbolt
200 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 31, 2018 11:34 as a reply to  @ post 18739573 |  #31

Great info….Learned something new...a few things!

http://picasaweb.googl​e.com/nutbolt65 (external link)

sponsored links
Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,288 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 31, 2018 12:58 |  #32

I use Lightroom to cull, rate, and catalog my photos. It’s what it’s made for.
1. Import all photos from the days shoot into separate folder in Lightroom, such as “10-31-18 Chincoteague”

2. First time through, cull out the OOF and poorly posed shots with a black flag. Passing photos get one star. After reaching the end, delete all black flagged phots with one command.

3. Second time through, begin editing. Rate photos with 1-5 stars after editing each. A 3-star photo is Flickr-worthy. 4-stars is an awesome shot. 5-stars has “the wow” factor.

4. I’ll Go through them again days or weeks later.

flickr (external link)

StarJack
THREAD ­ STARTER
602 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 31, 2018 16:31 |  #33

GammyKnee wrote in post #18740128 (external link)
This is probably a bit late but I'll contribute it anyway: if a trial version of an app ends prematurely or you genuinely didn't get chance to evaluate it properly, send a message to the support desk and ask for a trial extension. I'd be very surprised if they don't have the ability to grant this or refuse to do so (assuming you ask nicely). It used to be standard practice for just about every shareware product out there and probably still is; certainly it's what I've always done for my own products.

Good idea, giving that a try.

Regards,
Steve

StarJack
THREAD ­ STARTER
602 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 31, 2018 16:32 |  #34

F2Bthere wrote in post #18740772 (external link)
I second the recommendation to ask for a trial extension on PhotoMechanic, especially because you are talking about 1000 images at a time. PhotoMechanic is so good at handling large volumes quickly (it's what photojournalists, especially sports photographers, heavy wedding photographers and stock photographers tend to use). Which that kind of volume, a few seconds shaved off starts to add up to a lot over thousands of images. Plus you can start using it for culling while it is still bringing in, backing up and automatically keywording images in the background. So fast.

You might also consider Bridge, which is free with your Adobe subscription. It's a lot faster than LR for culling and you can do it before importing.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Regards,
Steve

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,964 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 31, 2018 19:23 |  #35

Actually these days Bridge is just free. You only need the free level of the Adobe account to run it, and that is the usual email address type thing for logging in and downloading the program.

Although I use Lr pretty much exclusively for managing my photographic image library I still use Bridge a lot. It's my prefered file browser when working with images outside of Lr, and for all my other types of "media" files.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Oct 31, 2018 21:58 |  #36

The main problem is that if you are downloading several hundred images at a time, Lightroom is slow to ingest files and it takes a while. And it takes a while to have the images be ready. And even after files are loaded and previews are generated, there is a slowness to moving through the files.

This isn't so much of an issue if you just have 20 files or if you don't have deadlines and time isn't important (probably true for most photographers). But if you deal with a lot of files or deadlines, PhotoMechanic is great.

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

StarJack
THREAD ­ STARTER
602 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 01, 2018 02:42 |  #37

GammyKnee/F2Bthere/All

The kind folks at Camera Bits graciously agreed to provide me another trial period! I'll be giving PM a try over the next couple weeks and will look into the other suggestions provided for comparison. Thank you for taking the time to offer your opinions and suggestions.

Regards,
Steve

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,338 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 01, 2018 09:27 |  #38

F2Bthere wrote in post #18741223 (external link)
The main problem is that if you are downloading several hundred images at a time, Lightroom is slow to ingest files and it takes a while. And it takes a while to have the images be ready. And even after files are loaded and previews are generated, there is a slowness to moving through the files.

This isn't so much of an issue if you just have 20 files or if you don't have deadlines and time isn't important (probably true for most photographers). But if you deal with a lot of files or deadlines, PhotoMechanic is great.

That is the whole point for then adding Embedded & Sidecar. You can cull while previews build.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Nov 01, 2018 21:56 |  #39

digital paradise wrote in post #18741416 (external link)
That is the whole point for then adding Embedded & Sidecar. You can cull while previews build.

I used LR that way and it was still super slow. LR in general is quite slow, especially dealing with any volume of images.

PhotoMechanic is ready as soon as the first image hits the drive and is much faster. It also uses .xmp files.

Nothing wrong with using LR, but regardless of settings, it is substantially slower than PM.

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,338 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 01, 2018 23:20 |  #40

F2Bthere wrote in post #18741935 (external link)
I used LR that way and it was still super slow. LR in general is quite slow, especially dealing with any volume of images.

PhotoMechanic is ready as soon as the first image hits the drive and is much faster. It also uses .xmp files.

Nothing wrong with using LR, but regardless of settings, it is substantially slower than PM.

Besides pre culling using DPP I don't cull a second time in LR. I don't rate, etc so I don't have a lot of experience with it.

Image Editing OK

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,002 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Mar 18, 2019 09:06 |  #41

LR needs a culling module/tab specifically for this. Returned from the coast a few weeks ago with hundreds of bracketed seascape shots. I just popped in the card and walked away from the computer for a bit because LR is soooooo incredibly slow.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,338 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 22, 2019 11:31 |  #42

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #18830736 (external link)
LR needs a culling module/tab specifically for this. Returned from the coast a few weeks ago with hundreds of bracketed seascape shots. I just popped in the card and walked away from the computer for a bit because LR is soooooo incredibly slow.

http://lightroomsoluti​ons.com …low-in-lightroom-classic/ (external link)

Image Editing OK

sponsored links

4,054 views & 9 likes for this thread
Alternatives to PhotoMechanic
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.