Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 01 Nov 2018 (Thursday) 17:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flickr changes- free accounts limited to 1000 images.

Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
3,218 posts
Gallery: 1474 photos
Joined Mar 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by Capn Jack.

Nov 01, 2018 17:24 |  #1

Pro accounts to be $50 USD, free accounts to be limited to 1000 images. The change will happen January 8, 2019

I'm going to lose around 4,000 photos there, fortunately I have them on my hard drive & back-up.

We'll probably see a lot more missing images here.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Tedder
378 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 01, 2018 20:16 |  #2

Irksome. I have 2,488 images on Flickr.

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link) Shadows of Turning (external link) Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

Capn ­ Jack
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,218 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 01, 2018 20:35 |  #3

Looking at an alternative, try Imgur

QR Code in old Roman road

IMAGE: https://i.imgur.com/WxvrzBVh.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://imgur.com/a/YF​SfFUJ  (external link)
Italy 2018 (external link) by JackSilver86 (external link) on IMGUR

GibJock
Kill killer
9,913 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined May 2013
Location: From Scotland, living in Gibraltar "A Jock on the Rock"

Nov 02, 2018 00:38 |  #4

Just had my Pro subscription renewed automatically, double the price from last year ...... quite a price increase!

flickr (external link)

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,830 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Nov 02, 2018 06:32 |  #5

I have thought of a FYEO tool that imports your embedded images from external services like Flickr and converts them to uploaded images (attach tag) and inserts available EXIF to those. What I do not know, and need to know, who actually owns rights to the image file after it has been uploaded to Flickr. There needs to be definite owner/ToS info if that kind of retrieval/re-save is "legal".

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

Intheswamp
Goldmember
1,436 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 02, 2018 09:44 |  #6

I went to Flickr this morning to retrieve some images for my wife of a previous fall festival at our church and saw the notice. A limited account isn't something I signed up for. It seems they shouldn't be able to dump your images that you have stored there...maybe prevent you from adding more, but to make them unavailable...no. It's almost like holding your photos for ransom..."Pay or we kill them".<sigh> Is it legal?...probably covered in their ToS.

I'm not terribly tech-savvy so I'm not sure which direction to go with this. I've got a lot of images linked in different forums/websites that will suddenly disappear and make a lot of posts meaningless. Not so happy of a camper for now.

www.beeweather.com (external link)

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,778 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 02, 2018 11:56 |  #7

Intheswamp wrote in post #18742196 (external link)
I went to Flickr this morning to retrieve some images for my wife of a previous fall festival at our church and saw the notice. A limited account isn't something I signed up for. It seems they shouldn't be able to dump your images that you have stored there...maybe prevent you from adding more, but to make them unavailable...no. It's almost like holding your photos for ransom..."Pay or we kill them".<sigh> Is it legal?...probably covered in their ToS.

I'm not terribly tech-savvy so I'm not sure which direction to go with this. I've got a lot of images linked in different forums/websites that will suddenly disappear and make a lot of posts meaningless. Not so happy of a camper for now.

Surely any right-minded individual is going to have the original files stored on the hard drive of their computer, and backed up on a secondary device.

It never ceases to amaze me how dense intelligent people are.
I’ve had more intelligent conversations with lobotomised amoebas.
-. --- - .--- ..- ... - .- -. --- - .... . .-. -.. .- -.-- --..-- .- -. --- - .... . .-. -.. .- -.-- - --- . -..- -.-. . .-..

Intheswamp
Goldmember
1,436 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 02, 2018 12:22 |  #8

True, but I'm right-handed so I'm in my left mind, not my right one. I've got most of my images stored locally, but there are some that are not...and some that I really don't care what happens to. One thing, though, is me going back to all the postings to several different websites that were made over the last several years and supplying new links to suddenly missing images isn't going to happen. :-|

I did instigate a request for my Flickr data and also started the process of downloading an album...it's been several hours and I haven't received an email/notice from them yet that either zip file is ready for download. ?

Capn ­ Jack
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,218 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 02, 2018 17:07 |  #9

Pekka wrote in post #18742115 (external link)
I have thought of a FYEO tool that imports your embedded images from external services like Flickr and converts them to uploaded images (attach tag) and inserts available EXIF to those. What I do not know, and need to know, who actually owns rights to the image file after it has been uploaded to Flickr. There needs to be definite owner/ToS info if that kind of retrieval/re-save is "legal".

Pekka-

Please define what you mean by "rights". I think your tool is a great idea- I'm in the USA but, I think your tool would be legal, but I'm not an attorney either.

Does the information in the images below help clarify anything?

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 450 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 02, 2018 20:03 |  #10

I guess I'll be deleting my images from Flickr. I refuse to pay them.

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 02, 2018 20:05 |  #11

Capn Jack wrote in post #18741731 (external link)
Pro accounts to be $50 USD, free accounts to be limited to 1000 images. The change will happen January 8, 2019

I'm going to lose around 4,000 photos there, fortunately I have them on my hard drive & back-up.

We'll probably see a lot more missing images here.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Capn Jack in
./showthread.php?p=187​41731&i=i43141055
forum: The Lounge

What to you mean "lose" your images? Can't YOU delete them?

Paul
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

Capn ­ Jack
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,218 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 02, 2018 20:19 |  #12

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #18742605 (external link)
What to you mean "lose" your images? Can't YOU delete them?

Sorry, poor phrasing on my part. They will delete ~4000 images. As I have them on 2 computer drives here, I won't lose anything except the ability to easily share those images.

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Joined Sep 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by ptcanon3ti.

Nov 02, 2018 20:31 |  #13

Capn Jack wrote in post #18742609 (external link)
Sorry, poor phrasing on my part. They will delete ~4000 images. As I have them on 2 computer drives here, I won't lose anything except the ability to easily share those images.

I see. It's a shame but as the old saying goes...all good things come to an end.

I guess I'll start deleting images, and begin looking for another photo sharing site.

Paul
Body - Nikon D750

Intheswamp
Goldmember
1,436 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 02, 2018 20:59 |  #14

Yep. It is what it is...

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,830 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Nov 03, 2018 05:30 |  #15

Capn Jack wrote in post #18742500 (external link)
Pekka-

Please define what you mean by "rights". I think your tool is a great idea- I'm in the USA but, I think your tool would be legal, but I'm not an attorney either.

Does the information in the images below help clarify anything?

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=187​42500&i=i228044793

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=187​42500&i=i80848753

What I mean is that when this site has a script that downloads your Flickr image file and re-saves it here, is there anything in Flickr ToS (Terms of Service) that would prohibit that. Even if you have uploaded your own images there, there is usually a clause in ToS that all content belongs to the site. Just want to be sure.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

sponsored links

7,453 views & 87 likes for this thread
Flickr changes- free accounts limited to 1000 images.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.