Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Sep 2016 (Wednesday) 13:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= 5D Mark IV owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

ksbal
Goldmember
2,743 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited 3 months ago by ksbal.

Nov 01, 2018 09:37 |  #5941

Cyberex wrote in post #18739887 (external link)
Hi.

Have another question about settings on mk4:
Better to use a Highlight Priority or just underexpose frame by 1/3 or 2/3 steps for highlights saving ?
on my mk2 I'm always shoots with underexpose by 1/3 but now, maybe, this rule not so usable ?

Personally, I turn on the 'blinkies' and know when they start to appear I'd better stop or turn exposure down a smidge.

Canon raw you can recover some 'blinkies' just fine, if you didn't over do it, after years of shooting, its a 'feel' now for me when I can over expose but still recover. My understanding that other cameras (like Nikon) you can't over expose and pull back, they've set the exposure parameters slightly different, so over IS over, no wiggle room. Not bad, just different, so have to know your camera.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

sponsored links
nqjudo
Goldmember
3,162 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 01, 2018 10:25 |  #5942

ksbal wrote in post #18741421 (external link)
Personally, I turn on the 'blinkies' and know when they start to appear I'd better stop or turn exposure down a smidge.

Canon raw you can recover some 'blinkies' just fine, if you didn't over do it, after years of shooting, its a 'feel' now for me when I can over expose but still recover. My understanding that other cameras (like Nikon) you can't over expose and pull back, they've set the exposure parameters slightly different, so over IS over, no wiggle room. Not bad, just different, so have to know your camera.

The clipping warning on the LCD is based on converted 8 bit Jpeg so those areas may not be clipped in the RAW file. If you are shooting RAW you don't have to be too afraid of that warning. There is actually quite a bit of wiggle room. As you say quite accurately it all becomes second nature over time.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

2cruise
Goldmember
4,168 posts
Gallery: 528 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 01, 2018 10:58 |  #5943

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1929/44940170634_2bfdf77e5b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2btd​83b  (external link) Fall Colors (external link) by Whisle (Clyde Cornett) (external link)

5D Mark IV~70-300mm f4L IS~16-35 f4L IS ~Zeiss 21mm 2.8~Zeiss 50mm f2 Makro-Planar~ Zeiss 100mm f2 Makro Planar~Rokinon 14mm 2.8~Lee filters
My Flickr (external link)

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
5,721 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 01, 2018 11:51 |  #5944

Flickr/Smugmug changing policies

When owned by yahoo as a free subscription you had 1TB, now owned by Smugmug it's now limiting to only 1000 images, anything over 1K will be deleted

Annual fee for Pro now is $50 get 30% off first year.

*Free members with more than 1,000 photos or videos uploaded to Flickr have until Tuesday, January 8, 2019, to upgrade to Pro or download content over the limit. After January 8, 2019, members over the limit will no longer be able to upload new photos to Flickr. After February 5, 2019, free accounts that contain over 1,000 photos or videos will have content actively deleted -- starting from oldest to newest date uploaded -- to meet the new limit.

https://www.flickr.com​/lookingahead (external link)

My Gear flickr (external link)

pcs
I suddenly feel very old
1,138 posts
Gallery: 877 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 01, 2018 13:29 |  #5945

strange to see a tuk tuk in a Dutch polder landscape:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Sdentrem
214 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2015
Post edited 3 months ago by Sdentrem.

Nov 01, 2018 15:29 |  #5946

This is actually shot from underneath a 2 lane highway, looking up, at the point where the overpasses cross the Shubenacadie River in Nova Scotia, Canada. I stacked the sky images in Sequator to improve the noise, but it introduces some artifacts which I didn't bother fixing.

Simon

HOSTED PHOTO

Ah-keong
940 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Nov 01, 2018 22:31 |  #5947

nqjudo wrote in post #18741440 (external link)
The clipping warning on the LCD is based on converted 8 bit Jpeg so those areas may not be clipped in the RAW file. If you are shooting RAW you don't have to be too afraid of that warning. There is actually quite a bit of wiggle room. As you say quite accurately it all becomes second nature over time.

I realized if I followed the "blinkies" and dial down the exposure, it kind of underexposed when transferred into computer. Hopefully soon I learn the 'second nature' over time.  :p

Canon 7D2+grip | 18-35mm ART | EF-S 10-18mm | EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | ZE 2/100mm | ZE 2/35mm | ZE 1,4/85mm | CV 3,5/20mm | Nikkor 60mm f/2,8D |
Olympus E-PL3 | 7-14mm f/2,8 |
Speedlite 430EX III-RT | 600EX-RT | YN 600EX-RT |
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,162 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 01, 2018 23:52 |  #5948

Ah-keong wrote in post #18741955 (external link)
I realized if I followed the "blinkies" and dial down the exposure, it kind of underexposed when transferred into computer. Hopefully soon I learn the 'second nature' over time.  :p

Geez. A great eye and you want perfect exposure too. You can't have it all, you know ;)

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

Pippan
Goldmember
1,387 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Nov 02, 2018 00:45 |  #5949

Ah-keong wrote in post #18741955 (external link)

Hi Ah-keong, what nqjudo said about the clipping warning is correct but to complicate the issue further, the clipping warning (blinkies) and histogram on the LCD depend on the picture style setting of your camera. To get the closest to true clipping readouts, change the picture style to Neutral and turn saturation and contrast right down (do this in the menus). To get a really good comparison between your camera's blinkies and true raw clipping, get FastRawViewer or RawDigger and open the raws up in either of those programs. Using those programs you can see exactly how close your raws are to clipping, regardless of the camera or its settings. And despite what others on this forum may tell you, exposure bracketing whenever possible is highly beneficial, allowing you to choose the best exposure for each image later, when you are comfortably at your computer.

— Please feel free to offer your thoughts on how I might improve my images —

Ah-keong
940 posts
Joined Apr 2016

Nov 02, 2018 00:51 |  #5950

nqjudo wrote in post #18741988 (external link)
Geez. A great eye and you want perfect exposure too. You can't have it all, you know ;)

haha, I am greedy and want both !~  :p

Canon 7D2+grip | 18-35mm ART | EF-S 10-18mm | EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | ZE 2/100mm | ZE 2/35mm | ZE 1,4/85mm | CV 3,5/20mm | Nikkor 60mm f/2,8D |

Ah-keong
940 posts
Joined Apr 2016

Nov 02, 2018 00:56 |  #5951

Pippan wrote in post #18742006 (external link)
Hi Ah-keong, what nqjudo said about the clipping warning is correct but to complicate the issue further, the clipping warning (blinkies) and histogram on the LCD depend on the picture style setting of your camera. To get the closest to true clipping readouts, change the picture style to Neutral and turn saturation and contrast right down (do this in the menus). To get a really good comparison between your camera's blinkies and true raw clipping, get FastRawViewer or RawDigger and open the raws up in either of those programs. Using those programs you can see exactly how close your raws are to clipping, regardless of the camera or its settings. And despite what others on this forum may tell you, exposure bracketing whenever possible is highly beneficial, allowing you to choose the best exposure for each image later, when you are comfortably at your computer.

Oh, Learn something new today.... Usually I would set to Faithful (default mode) or Monochrome(when I am in training mode).
I realize that for the same settings, the monochrome would have more 'blinkies'.

Maybe I should follow your advice and do exposure bracketing whenever possible.  :p

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
5,721 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 02, 2018 10:19 |  #5952

Thats what I do the most, exposure bracketing for landscape work

For wildlife, as its usually single continuous I take a test shot to see if my exposure is correct for the light, and adjust from there.

Never really played with picture style, but I might give it a try according to recommendations "change the picture style to Neutral and turn saturation and contrast right down". I presumed you tested this in FastRawViewer or RawDigger and find this to be the best ???

My Gear flickr (external link)

Pippan
Goldmember
1,387 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Nov 02, 2018 16:05 |  #5953

Bianchi wrote in post #18742213 (external link)
Thats what I do the most, exposure bracketing for landscape work

For wildlife, as its usually single continuous I take a test shot to see if my exposure is correct for the light, and adjust from there.

Never really played with picture style, but I might give it a try according to recommendations "change the picture style to Neutral and turn saturation and contrast right down". I presumed you tested this in FastRawViewer or RawDigger and find this to be the best ???

Yes I did, also shooting in AdobeRGB makes it a bit closer. The camera blinkies still show slightly before raw clipping but it's quite close.

— Please feel free to offer your thoughts on how I might improve my images —

unreal
"GodLike"
152 posts
Joined Aug 2018

Nov 03, 2018 02:14 |  #5954

Works great!
Used on 60D

pcs
I suddenly feel very old
1,138 posts
Gallery: 877 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 03, 2018 02:51 |  #5955

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

1,625,360 views & 26,288 likes for this thread
-= 5D Mark IV owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.