Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 01 Nov 2018 (Thursday) 17:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flickr changes- free accounts limited to 1000 images.

Capn ­ Jack
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,271 posts
Gallery: 996 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 03, 2018 11:10 |  #31

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #18742965 (external link)
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good free site?

I've tried Imgur, and it seems OK. EXIF data doesn't transfer to here; I don't know if they keep it.
www.imgur.com (external link)

There are probably others at least as good, or better.

sponsored links
AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,461 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 03, 2018 11:24 |  #32

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18742871 (external link)
Quoted from the other thread:

George, you don't seem to realize that Flickr is now owned by SmugMug, and has nothing to do with Verizon or Oath or Yahoo anymore.

Thanks, Tom. And thanks for the PM. I went back and did an edit to make sure that outdated news does not crop up and cause confusion.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

Intheswamp
Goldmember
1,165 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 03, 2018 13:19 |  #33

digital paradise wrote in post #18742891 (external link)
Sounds like a Photobucket move but they wanted $40 a month. It did not go well for them.

This has been on my mind since I first saw the notice on Flickr...Photobucket-like shenanigans. I agree, I don't think it worked out well for PB. Interestingly, a while back I went to Photobucket for some reason and all my images were accessible that I had posted there years ago. ? Images are also back linking to some old forums I posted them to.

I've got two accounts on Flickr. One is my personal account and another one that I post photos for the church that I attend. Between the two of them I'm approaching 3700 images. I just went through and wrote down all the albums on the church account and compared them to images I have here on the home computer. I probably have some of the ones I didn't find here at home stored on the computer at work, but I went ahead and requested they zip those questionable albums up for me. I check Monday and see whether I have them at work, if not I'll download the zips.

I haven't checked my personal account's albums with my locally stored images but I will before going to work Monday. (Cable modem at work versus 3Mbps Centurystink DSL here at home.)

I'm seriously thinking of storing them on my own website, but that's another can of worms.

And, I'm still debating whether I'll delete the accounts on Flickr or just leave them there in case they decide this wasn't a smart move.  ???

www.beeweather.com (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,590 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 03, 2018 13:23 |  #34

I'll just leave mine there, without uploading.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
8,401 posts
Gallery: 1722 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 03, 2018 13:56 |  #35

I have complained directly to Smugmug about this - I think it would be worth taking action against them, as deleting peoples photos must be against the law somehow as its the private property of the owners of the photos.
No where in Flickr (if memory serves me) does it say the photos are the ownership of Flickr.

Worth looking into.

P.

Some stuff.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,823 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 03, 2018 14:04 |  #36

Pagman wrote in post #18743095 (external link)
I have complained directly to Smugmug about this - I think it would be worth taking action against them, as deleting peoples photos must be against the law somehow as its the private property of the owners of the photos.

No where in Flickr (if memory serves me) does it say the photos are the ownership of Flickr.

This seems like a ridiculous stance to take. . Against the law to delete photos? . Are you serious? . It is THEIR website. . They can do whatever they want with it.

Don't you realize that terms of service are always written to protect the website against any claims whatsoever. . TOS basically say that the website can do whatever they want and that they don't guarantee to do anything for the users and that they can cancel or discontinue to provide anything at all at any time. . Blah, blah, blah. . Terms of service are written by the website's attorneys so as to allow them to do whatever they want, and you as a user have to agree to that before you use their website.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Pagman
8,401 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 03, 2018 14:11 |  #37

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18743100 (external link)
This seems like a ridiculous stance to take. . Against the law to delete photos? . Are you serious? . It is THEIR website. . They can do whatever they want with it.

Don't you realize that terms of service are always written to protect the website against any claims whatsoever. . TOS basically say that the website can do whatever they want and that they don't guarantee to do anything for the users and that they can cancel or discontinue to provide anything at all at any time. . Blah, blah, blah. . Terms of service are written by the website's attorneys so as to allow them to do whatever they want, and you as a user have to agree to that before you use their website.

So basically in a nut shell thier small print states post pictures in flickr but flickr are not responsible if they are delibratly deleted, and the owner of the photos can then do Nothing about it.

P.

Some stuff.

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,563 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 03, 2018 14:15 |  #38

I'm surprised to see so many crying about this. Good grief.....it's 50 bucks. In fact right now you get the first year for 30% off.

Hell's bells.........how much did you pay for your camera and lenses?

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

Pagman
8,401 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 03, 2018 14:30 |  #39

saea501 wrote in post #18743108 (external link)
I'm surprised to see so many crying about this. Good grief.....it's 50 bucks. In fact right now you get the first year for 30% off.

Its not the point - its the priciple of the thing, its just the start of a crack down on free use of the internet in general, we all know over the following years the net will be a totally different thing very much more controled and yes chargable for far more things.

P.

Some stuff.

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
17,872 posts
Gallery: 277 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 03, 2018 14:38 |  #40

The thing is that under Yahoo management pro members were encouraged to switch to a free account. Because free accounts have ads. This was important for advertisers and Yahoo just wanted to make money. So we got offered free accounts with unlimited space. I had been a pro member from the start but switched to a free account not long ago. Now, under Smugmug management this is turning against us. People uploaded tons of images because they were encouraged to do so and now they need to pay to keep up or have anything above 1000 images deleted. That's simply not right.

Sure, Smugmug can increase flickr fees, even though a 100% increase is rather steep. But to delete photos is just wrong.

When Photobucket pulled its trick it kind of broke the internet. All those holes everywhere, images replaced by ugly placeholders. Photobucket became the most hated company around. Now Smugmug deleting images on flickr will result in even more broken links and ugly placeholders. I do not for one second believe that of all non-paying members only 3% have more than 1000 images in their photostream. It is simply not true. And then again, if it is indeed only 3%, then why bother with them at all? It would be negligible. And as Pekka said earlier, it makes no sense to allow high res uploads when the free accounts need to be reduced to 1000 images because of space.

But whatever it is, deleting images is wrong!

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,314 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 03, 2018 14:40 |  #41

saea501 wrote in post #18743108 (external link)

No different between LR perpetual and subscription. The principle behind that move does not sit well with some, not to say there is anything wrong with that.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Pagman
8,401 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 03, 2018 15:01 |  #42

digital paradise wrote in post #18743121 (external link)
No different between LR perpetual and subscription. The principle behind that move does not sit well with some, not to say there is anything wrong with that.

So if lightroom start a new system where you can not use thier edit tools unless you pay (over all versions) would that be fair.

P.

Some stuff.

Pagman
8,401 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by Pagman.

Nov 03, 2018 15:11 |  #43

AZGeorge wrote in post #18743143 (external link)
Flickr is not going to automatically delete any pictures. Free accounts will not be able to upload until the total drops below 1000 or the account owner ponies up the cash for a Pro account.

They are george - if you have over a thousand pictures in there they will delete all files starting from the furthest back date wise, till the 1000 mark is met, or pay to use thier account.

P.

Some stuff.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,314 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 03, 2018 15:26 |  #44

Pagman wrote in post #18743137 (external link)
So if lightroom start a new system where you can not use thier edit tools unless you pay (over all versions) would that be fair.

P.

Well no but some feel robbed that they paid for an LR licence and are not getting the updates the subscription folk are. I was just saying with LR for some it is the principle even if $10 is chump change - to them. People stand behind their principles/convictions and so it should be.

Same thing happened to me with Photobucket. If their pricing had been reasonable I probably would have continued with them. I do see your point.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,063 posts
Gallery: 377 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 03, 2018 15:49 |  #45

What about opening multiple accounts and filling each one? lol

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

sponsored links

4,506 views & 87 likes for this thread
Flickr changes- free accounts limited to 1000 images.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.