Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 01 Nov 2018 (Thursday) 17:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flickr changes- free accounts limited to 1000 images.

kiwichris
I forget how I didded that!
2,807 posts
Gallery: 129 photos
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited 3 months ago by kiwichris.

Nov 03, 2018 18:55 |  #61

Pekka wrote in post #18742837 (external link)
:)

Just occurred to me, if they are so worried about server costs, why they keep offering tons of different image sizes, including very large sizes (up to 5K now)?

Flickr, listen:
Make the larger than 1280 sizes available only for paid accounts, and let other's upload something like 5000 photos and serve them as 640 and 1280 only (no original size in gallery at all, stored only internally). That would drastically cut the bandwidth and storage requirements but still keep the service as it is.

Peka, somewhat off topic but I would like to say thanks for all that you and your team supply for us, the POTN users.
Thanks.
Chris Way

Panasonic Lumix G9 and lenses from 7mm wide to 300mm long.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chriswaynzpics/ (external link)

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,010 posts
Gallery: 1466 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 03, 2018 19:00 |  #62

The Pro account is available for $35 for one year, to allow you to keep unlimited images and storage.

I think $35 a year is fair for unlimited photo hosting with no file size limits.

I have 5k~6k photos on there.

I will be shopping this year, however, to see if something else needs to take over for the cost. Free is not free, ever. But, if I'm paying for a service I want a good service. Flickr seems to have server issues often. I will evaluate other image hosting services in the same price range over the next year while I figure out whether I want to migrate or just consider Flickr a loss and let my account drop to 1k photos and then leave it alone and ignore it (killing a ton of images in this forum and many others as they prune).

I don't see this as an unfair move. 1000 images for free, no limit in size, 1TB storage for free is still quite nice for most people.

I just don't like inconvenience of either having to stay with Flickr, or having to migrate. I'm not sure if Flickr is worth the annual fee yet. Time will tell.

But $35 a year right now is fair in my eyes so far.

$50, well, I would have to shop for sure.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
17,872 posts
Gallery: 277 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 03, 2018 19:18 |  #63

In flickr's help forum a member talked about loyalty and said it better than I ever could:

You should honour the prior agreements made to your members especially when you told all members that 1TB storage was what they were entitled to.
Sure make a new rule for NEW free members who are testing the site before taking the plunge..who have yet to reach several hundred uploads, but to carte blanche decide to upend the previously agreed condition in order to force those holders of existing free accounts to start paying a subscription Otherwise you are going to renege on an earlier promise by deleting several years work...is both dishonourable and underhand..

Another member just posted a long comment in the forum. He is a long time member who had to change his pro membership to a non-paying one when things went bad for him. He writes:

Of my 4000+ images, 3/4 will be deleted. What's harsher is that photos of friends and comments from people who have since passed away will be erased. Sure I can download the images in a tedious one by one by one way over 3000 times, but the gist, the essence of what those photo posts meant will be gone.

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 03, 2018 19:45 |  #64

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #18743182 (external link)
What about opening multiple accounts and filling each one? lol

If you thought of it, they probably thought of it and will monitor IP addresses.

Flickr (external link)

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
8,395 posts
Gallery: 1717 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 03, 2018 19:55 |  #65

What if like me and you are on a low internet allowance - I get 18GB a month to do everything with, I wonder how downloading back into my hard drive 600 or so images would take from my allowance?

Imagine if I had as many as some who have posted, and had to down load them back into my drive.

P.

Some stuff.

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,060 posts
Gallery: 377 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 03, 2018 20:26 |  #66

patrick j wrote in post #18743326 (external link)
If you thought of it, they probably thought of it and will monitor IP addresses.

Wouldn't that be stipulated in their new rules?

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

Alveric
Goldmember
4,590 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by Alveric.

Nov 03, 2018 21:28 |  #67

Not necessarily. Besides, static IP addresses for non-server locations are so yesterday. My IP is changing all the time, add to that the fact that I'm using a VPN, and I can change my 'location' any time I want, in addition to the VPN constantly switching the IP by itself (I think it does that daily).

Does that mean that I'd go for the multi-account scheme? No. Even if it weren't fraudulent, it's just too much of a hassle to keep track of things.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

daleg
658 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Nov 03, 2018 21:58 |  #68

In simple words, they broke their promise.

So, I have no reason to trust them anymore.

I cut back from 14000 to 4000 when Flickr was acquired.

In the next 60 days that number will approach 0.

I'll miss it, but life goes on. It puts no food on my table.

They can lie to somebody else.

Dale

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,060 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 03, 2018 22:06 |  #69

daleg wrote in post #18743378 (external link)
In simple words, they broke their promise.

So, I have no reason to trust them anymore.

I cut back from 14000 to 4000 when Flickr was acquired.

In the next 60 days that number will approach 0.

I'll miss it, but life goes on. It puts no food on my table.

They can lie to somebody else.

Dale

Lying... seems prevalent in the USA these days. vmad

Paul
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,060 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 03, 2018 22:09 |  #70

Alveric wrote in post #18743366 (external link)
Not necessarily. Besides, static IP addresses for non-server locations are so yesterday. My IP is changing all the time, add to that the fact that I'm using a VPN, and I can change my 'location' any time I want, in addition to the VPN constantly switching the IP by itself (I think it does that daily).

Does that mean that I'd go for the multi-account scheme? No. Even if it weren't fraudulent, it's just too much of a hassle to keep track of things.

I don't see it as being fraudulent at all. If they want to pull the rug out from under everyone, unless they stipulate that multiple accounts are not allowed then have at it. No rules broken.

Paul
Body - Nikon D750

kukulkan
Goldmember
1,362 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 03, 2018 22:40 |  #71

Forum , not to change the subject but a lot of companies are doing the same including MICROSOFT, on windows 10 I'm starting to see stupid notifications that I have to pay for some of the apps that came installed on the pc apps like photo viewer and that they are planing to start a fee just for using windows 10, not sure how truth is this but the rumor is all over the net. Going back to Flickr I'm on the poor side so will be losing some valuable shots that are posted in other sites, and hope that there will be another site growing that may be offering free services like flickr.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,815 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 03, 2018 22:43 |  #72

Pagman wrote in post #18743105 (external link)
So basically in a nut shell thier small print states post pictures in flickr but flickr are not responsible if they are delibratly deleted, and the owner of the photos can then do Nothing about it.

P.

Yes, of course!

Isn't that exactly what you'd do if you owned Flickr?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
8,395 posts
Gallery: 1717 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 03, 2018 23:42 |  #73

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18743405 (external link)
Yes, of course!

Isn't that exactly what you'd do if you owned Flickr?

Depends how important you consider Other peoples photographs and if you have a concience or not.

P.

Some stuff.

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 04, 2018 00:22 |  #74

Pagman wrote in post #18743421 (external link)
Depends how important you consider Other peoples photographs and if you have a concience or not.

P.

I've never assumed Flickr would go on forever, or at least not offering 1 terabyte for free. You aren't paying for it so I don't think you are entitled to anything. If it's a big deal to you, then pay up. They aren't out there to be pals with everyone, they are there to make money. I just don't have any sense of outrage over a service that I pay nothing to use deciding to change their rules.

Flickr (external link)

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,408 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 04, 2018 05:01 |  #75

Pagman wrote in post #18743276 (external link)
That equals - more snooping on us and more interest in what we are doing, to give us a better experience is what they say.

P.

Internet companies are doing no more snooping now then they have done in the past. But in the wake of the “Cambridge Analytica - Facebook” scandal they now have to tell their users what data they are collecting and how they are going to use it.

Some days I'm the dog, some days I'm the lamppost.

sponsored links

4,495 views & 87 likes for this thread
Flickr changes- free accounts limited to 1000 images.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.