Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 30 Oct 2018 (Tuesday) 01:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Soft box for Speedlite

smaeda
Goldmember
1,298 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 11 months ago by smaeda.

Nov 02, 2018 21:09 |  #31

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4875/43871777550_32c624ebdd_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/29QN​jZL  (external link) compare (external link) by shintarodesign (external link), on Flickr

Here is the test that I did. See how the speedlight even with the double diffusion barely fills the face of the 48 inch octa? That's why I recommended 24-48 inch modifier if using speedlights.

https://instagram.com/​shintarodesign (external link)
www.shintarodesign.com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/shintarodesign (external link)
Sony A7iii, Irix 15mm f2.4, Tamron 28-75mm f2.8, Zeiss 55mm f1.8, Sony FE 85mm f1.8, Sigma 135mm f1.8

sponsored links
firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 02, 2018 22:21 |  #32

Yes, I see what you mean. Thanks.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 03, 2018 09:17 |  #33

firme wrote in post #18741433 (external link)
Dmward, is there a reason why some people would get a set up that you mentioned if you say probably not the best option (first sentence)? What would be a modifier that would fit for the application?

You mentioned speedlights being mounted forward, not bouncing correct. Would this be applied the same to strobes or it wouldn't as it is a bigger light source compared to the speedlight?

I can't speak to other people's motivation for buying one modifier over another. I can only speak to my own experience.

The big difference between a speedlite and a strobe (monolight) is the flash tube position. A speedlite flash tube in behind a fresnel lens inside a zooming reflector. The design is intended to create a cone of light that covers the lens field of view when the flash tube is pointed at the subject. That means that the light is focused from the tube in a way that minimizes the likelihood that it will be reflected off the sides of the modifier back toward the front diffusion panel. Monolight tubes generally protrude into the modifier without a reflector. This means that the light from the tube is hitting the modifier reflective surfaces and bouncing around before reaching the modifier front panel. Placing a deflector plate between the tube and the front of the modifier blocks light from directly reaching the front diffusion panel eliminating the tendency for a hot spot.

Placing a speedlite facing the back of an Apollo type modifier means that all the light generated by the flash tube will bounce around inside the modifier which greatly improves the smoothness of light across the front diffusion panel.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

soeren
Whoops Im not updated
673 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2017
Post edited 11 months ago by soeren. (4 edits in all)

Nov 03, 2018 13:22 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #34

For me its about portability. A pair of deep reflective umbrellas are compact and light and still offers large surfaces and versatility. With a couple of barebulbs (right now an ad200 and an ad360) and a speedlight (or 2) the limiting factor is me not my gear

If history has proven anything. it's that evolution always wins!!

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 04, 2018 10:37 |  #35

Thanks guys.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 04, 2018 21:07 |  #36

What soft box is good then if trying to stay away from cheaper soft boxes. I'm interested in a 24x36 or similar.

Saw this one but I didn't find in the description about having a second diffuser:
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …100cm_softbox_b​owens.html (external link)

This one does seem to have the second diffuser:
https://www.adorama.co​m/gosbnb9090.html (external link)

At the price, I guess these are still on the cheap side.

soeren
Whoops Im not updated
673 posts
Joined Nov 2017

Nov 04, 2018 23:24 |  #37

If you want that extra control factor in a grid

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,348 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 05, 2018 09:42 as a reply to  @ firme's post |  #38

Those are both examples of cheap, I'd suggest looking at something by Chimera, Elinchrom or Profoto if you want quality. I bought inexpensive early in my career and ended up spending more later. I'd figure out lighting kit first and then add modifiers for the desired effect.

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

soeren
Whoops Im not updated
673 posts
Joined Nov 2017

Nov 05, 2018 11:11 |  #39

The thing that speaks for buying cheap is when finding out what stuff does and doesnt do. There is no need for every modifier in every catalogue so grinding your teeth in something less extensive and then buying the good stuff when you have figured out your needs is not that bad.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 05, 2018 16:07 |  #40

Well, unfortunately don't have the funds to go that route on those higher end soft boxes, plus did see I would have to get the rings separate. Thank you for the suggestions. Guess will have to go the cheaper route for now and see which one I will end up getting.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,858 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 13, 2018 12:57 |  #41

just noticed this for sale:

http://www.cheetahstan​d.com/product-p/q24p-hs.htm (external link)

great price on this softbox with grid and two layers of diffusion, and it includes a flash bracket, quality product and great support from Ed at Cheetah Stand.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
1,098 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2015

Nov 13, 2018 13:21 |  #42

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18750371 (external link)
just noticed this for sale:

http://www.cheetahstan​d.com/product-p/q24p-hs.htm (external link)

great price on this softbox with grid and two layers of diffusion, and it includes a flash bracket, quality product and great support from Ed at Cheetah Stand.

I’ve got a few Cheetahstand modifiers. They are very good. Well made. Give them a look.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 14, 2018 10:07 |  #43

Thanks for the link. Will take a look at it.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,435 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 14, 2018 18:40 |  #44

For speedlite, smaller use QBox from Cheetah stand. The brackets are kind of crappy. Bigger size look at Wesctott Apollo. They are umbrella style. 50" is only $100. Softliter is another option but flimsy. Mine died on the first shoot.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 15, 2018 08:50 |  #45

Appreciate the honesty, which is why I come here. This kind of replies sure as heck won't get from BH or Adorama or probably other stores.

sponsored links

9,165 views & 21 likes for this thread
Soft box for Speedlite
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.