Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

Choderboy
I like a long knob
6,684 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 05, 2018 05:50 |  #481

Pondrader wrote in post #18744399 (external link)
Your right Dave.. This is exactly what I should have done. I wasn't quite finished evaluating the R yet. I'm sure it would have been snapped up in a month or two.

Your used market is better than ours, careful buying required here to avoid loss.

Recently Sony A73 and Nikon D850 would have been good for buy and try (worldwide) due to limited availability.

Dave
Image editing OK

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
Cream of the Crop
18,878 posts
Gallery: 329 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by Levina de Ruijter. (2 edits in all)

Nov 05, 2018 06:59 |  #482

Red Dexs wrote in post #18744346 (external link)
Try Panamoz Levina! I use them all the time, they honour their guarantee as well.

I know the site, had them bookmarked a couple of years ago but they still "ship to the United Kingdom, Ireland, France, and Spain only."
They have a good rep and I wouldn't be afraid to buy from them. How do you manage to have them ship stuff to Greece?!

EDIT: I remembered something else: the warranty. It's 3 Year UK Local Warranty. That would be problematic in case of a problem, with me not being in the UK.

EDIT2: However, I could buy the EOS R for 550 Euro less there... That's a lot.

I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
My flickr (external link)

Red ­ Dexs
Goldmember
2,834 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Nov 05, 2018 09:11 |  #483

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #18744429 (external link)
I know the site, had them bookmarked a couple of years ago but they still "ship to the United Kingdom, Ireland, France, and Spain only."
They have a good rep and I wouldn't be afraid to buy from them. How do you manage to have them ship stuff to Greece?!

EDIT: I remembered something else: the warranty. It's 3 Year UK Local Warranty. That would be problematic in case of a problem, with me not being in the UK.

EDIT2: However, I could buy the EOS R for 550 Euro less there... That's a lot.

I don't Levina, I have go back to the UK every year otherwise the wife would kill me, so whilst there I buy any gear (within reason) I've lusted over.

Sony A7R IV, FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G OSS. Plus quite a bit of Canon gear.

I like what I like.

deglopper
57 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 05, 2018 10:58 |  #484

C Scott IV wrote in post #18743893 (external link)
I hope they change that in a firmware release. The RF24-105 does not do that. Just EF lenses. Haven't tried it but Pondrader's trick of mapping "display off" to the * button may allow the IS to shut off when you hit * because the display will be off. Hope so anyway.

On mine, the IS on the RF24-105 is super quiet, but if you put your ear up the lens, you can hear it whirring all the time the camera is on, even when you're in playback or menus. Others have mentioned that EF-M IS lenses work the same way - the IS needs to run all the time.

I hope they can update that feature for EF lenses in a future firmware update for the R.

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
Cream of the Crop
18,878 posts
Gallery: 329 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 05, 2018 11:24 |  #485

Red Dexs wrote in post #18744482 (external link)
I don't Levina, I have go back to the UK every year otherwise the wife would kill me, so whilst there I buy any gear (within reason) I've lusted over.

Ah, that explains it. thanks for clearing that up, Red.

I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
My flickr (external link)

Coderunner
302 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Nov 05, 2018 12:26 |  #486

Another attempt at BIF and I can confirms Canon's claim that 6 FPS prioritizes speed over focus accuracy in servo mode. I think 6 FPS works well only if the subject is moving slowly or the shooter is very lucky :-) The following were shot at 3 FPS.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Sony A9, 7RIV & too many lens
http://www.sthornhill.​com (external link)

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,926 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 05, 2018 14:28 |  #487

I stopped at Best Buy today and played with an R. That may have been a mistake. Very nice camera. I stuck my own memory card in and snapped a few shots. Loves the way it felt in my hands. Focusing seems fast. Can’t speak to the accuracy. Wish it was able to track and shoot as fast as the Sony’s, but that isn’t really a priority for me. I don’t really give a flip about the flippy dippy screen. The tilting one on the M3 or Sony is enough for me. I would trade that in a heartbeat for GPS. I’m sure you can tag images with the app the same as the M6. The Sony solution is a bit better because you don’t need to start logging and then remember to go back and tag your images. That’s a lot of remembering. With the Sony you just have to make sure you see the pairing on the camera and then it just works.

If my recently listed 5D4 sells I can certainly see myself with an R in the near future.

Canon EOS M6 Mark II - EOS R5
Donate for Forum Costs

deglopper
57 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 05, 2018 14:46 as a reply to  @ randy98mtu's post |  #488

The same GPS process works with the Canon Camera Connect app as you describe for Sony - start the app on the phone, and GPS info syncs to the camera as you take pictures. There is a GPS indicator in the display that shows when you have valid GPS data during shooting. It doesn't seem to automatically reconnect every time after the camera goes to sleep, though.

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,926 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 05, 2018 15:24 |  #489

deglopper wrote in post #18744695 (external link)
The same GPS process works with the Canon Camera Connect app as you describe for Sony - start the app on the phone, and GPS info syncs to the camera as you take pictures. There is a GPS indicator in the display that shows when you have valid GPS data during shooting. It doesn't seem to automatically reconnect every time after the camera goes to sleep, though.

Thanks! The M6 is much clumsier. You start logging on the phone. Then you have to connect the camera via WiFi and transfer the location information. The Sony is about the same with reconnecting. On my iPhone, I've found that if I just close the Sony app and reopen it, it almost always works. But this is great news that the R works the same way as the Sony!

Donate for Forum Costs

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,450 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 05, 2018 17:50 |  #490

randy98mtu wrote in post #18744407 (external link)
The 5D4 is great for sure. I loved it from the first shot. But I honestly think the RF mount is the future.

If we substitute "EOS R" with "RF Mount" that's true.

I'm sure the future bodies will be even better. But I've seen it's not just the RF mount, but the EOS R that supercharges the EF lenses. One photographer Harris posted on Youtube that his 85mm 1.2 ii L focused like he'd never experienced before. Rockwell (like him or not) posted on his EF > RF adapter page about amazing results focusing his legend glass EF 50mm 1.0 L which was notoriously tricky on older DSLRs.

So the EOS R opens an entire new world with EF lenses attached. Plus the few wonderful new RF lenses.

Since the future RF bodies should be even better, the future of Canon should exceed many photographers expectations. I imagine to hear most of any potential nagging from the video addicts. But for photography enthusiasts, I think they may be walking on Cloud #9 in the next year or two.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,926 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 05, 2018 19:01 as a reply to  @ mdvaden's post |  #491

Oh I'm familiar with that aspect. My A7R3 does the same and gives them all IS. :) But it doesn't feel like a Canon.

The first batch of RF lenses look really good though. I'm really happy to hear that the EF lenses are really good on it.

GAS sucks.

Donate for Forum Costs

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,450 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 05, 2018 20:43 |  #492

randy98mtu wrote in post #18744813 (external link)
Oh I'm familiar with that aspect. My A7R3 does the same and gives them all IS. :) But it doesn't feel like a Canon.

The first batch of RF lenses look really good though. I'm really happy to hear that the EF lenses are really good on it.

GAS sucks.

But I learned one Tamron 70-200mm 2. 8 VC does not work on the EOS R For that reason, almost every one of my future lens purchases will be Canon to match this body and future bodies.

I got to see one of Rockwell's subtle warnings come true about 3rd party lenses and future body upgrades.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

ElTigreBlanco
566 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 05, 2018 21:41 as a reply to  @ mdvaden's post |  #493

I've had mixed results on third party lenses but I'm guessing most of those issues will be fixed with future firmware updates. Luckily I'm still using all canon glass and just waiting for rf versions until I feel a need to switch to anything else.

I like to shoot things...sometimes with a camera!

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,450 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 05, 2018 21:54 |  #494

ElTigreBlanco wrote in post #18744906 (external link)
I've had mixed results on third party lenses but I'm guessing most of those issues will be fixed with future firmware updates. Luckily I'm still using all canon glass and just waiting for rf versions until I feel a need to switch to anything else.

Are you guessing Canon will do a firmware upgrade that will allow more 3rd party lenses to work? Because Tamron sure has no plans for the lens I have that won't work with the EOS R ..

cinor_12
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Oct 2018
Post edited over 1 year ago by cinor_12. (2 edits in all)

Nov 05, 2018 22:53 as a reply to  @ mdvaden's post |  #495

Tamron released an update in 2015 (version 1.1.3). This was serviced by me for 70-200mm 2.8. EOS R works flawlessly

1,722,648 views & 24,974 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.