Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Sep 2018 (Wednesday) 02:31
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How's the new EOS-R stack up for you?"
It's Amazing!
26.5%
It's kind of a let down
33.8%
It's trash
8.5%
It's good for the price
23.5%
It helped me pick a new body
7.7%

189 voters, 260 votes given (3 choices choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?

this thread is locked
nardes
Goldmember
1,524 posts
Gallery: 280 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 04, 2018 16:20 |  #2251

umphotography wrote in post #18743607 (external link)
Awesome

Dennis this is something I really wanted to see so thanks for posting.

How fast/slow was the AF when you had everything hooked up. Your thought about TC performance ?? Lastly is this a straight off nothing done file and how heavy was your crop. Looks pretty good. I ask for people that might be considering for wildlife needs. Yeah thats one big Arse bird :p

Up front, if I could only have one camera it would be my current 5D Mk IV as it is such a functionally rich, flexible and solid workhorse. I purchased the EOS R to complement it, although the EOS R is an incredibly competent camera in its own right.:-)

Back to the A380 shots above, the settings for EOS R were:

• Manual Exposure Mode: 1/1600 sec, ISO 640, F8.
  • Large Zone AF:Horizontal
  • Servo AF
  • Low Speed Continuous Shooting: Tracking Priority (3fps)

I chose Large Zone AF:Horizontal as it was a big bird in a clear blue sky with no BG distractions.
I tracked the A380 as it approached, passed by and flew away from my location. Straight-and-level flight all the way. It basically filled the whole frame at 560mm.

Observations:
  • Compared to my current 5D Mk IV, the AF didn’t feel quite as confident and towards the end of the series, with the A380 flying away from me, the AF did miss on a couple of frames. My (now sold) 5D Mk III never missed this type of shot.
  • There may be a better set up for the EOS R that I have not dialled in, it is early days yet.
  • Right now, if I wanted to shoot birds in flight, I would definitely take the 5D Mk IV as my prime camera over the EOS R.
  • There is probably a familiarity and usage factor at play as well; I am very familiar with the 5D Mk IV so it kind of “disappears” when I am using it, whereas I am still having to think a little when using the EOS R and this contributes to a feeling of less confidence – a user familiarity issue.
  • I suspect that after much usage the EOS R will also “disappear” and allow you to just focus on the shot rather than the camera, allowing a more objective comparison between the two bodies.

Just for comparison, here are similar (Raw SOC) 1200x900 crop shots taken with the 5D Mk III (2017) and EOS R (2018) using the same lens, but Mk I and Mk II Extenders respectively. The 5D Mk III shot was taken under clearer sky conditions whereas the more recent EOS R shot had hazy skies that almost looked a bit smokey.

Cheers

Dennis

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
nardes
Goldmember
1,524 posts
Gallery: 280 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 04, 2018 16:24 |  #2252

Just for completeness, here is the full frame view, RAW, SOC but resampled down to 1200x900 and also a Full Res RAW SOC 1200x900 crop of the undercarriage.

Cheers

Dennis

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,533 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 05, 2018 09:54 |  #2253

It's been 17 hours and no one has shared his thoughts about the Canon EOS R... Did WWIII start and I missed it? What's wrong with you people?

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

mcoren
624 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Nov 05, 2018 11:12 |  #2254

MakisM1 wrote in post #18744508 (external link)
It's been 17 hours and no one has shared his thoughts about the Canon EOS R... Did WWIII start and I missed it? What's wrong with you people?

Maybe now that the camera has been shipping for some time, there's not as much need to speculate about it in this "Thoughts" thread. There's plenty of real information in the "owners unite!" thread.

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

WilsonFlyer
580 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 05, 2018 12:50 as a reply to  @ mcoren's post |  #2255

I was just going to come back to this thread and post the same thing.

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,533 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited 4 months ago by MakisM1.

Nov 05, 2018 18:21 |  #2256

mcoren wrote in post #18744548 (external link)
Maybe now that the camera has been shipping for some time, there's not as much need to speculate about it in this "Thoughts" thread. There's plenty of real information in the "owners unite!" thread.

I was being sarcastic... I think if I see another YouTube video commentary I am going to throw up!...

I don't remember any other camera, Canon or otherwise to have generated so much ado. Especially the Sony fanboys arriving in formations, ready to bomb... :p

Personally, I think it is a very nice first attempt. If I want to do video again, I'll get a video camera (again). I had never had a card failure, so I am not anal about (the lack of) this feature.

As a matter of fact, the only time I used the double slot feature was this year, in a photo safari in Kruger National Park, SA. Just to be safe, as the trip cost close to $15k and it would be rather difficult to repeat. I have the 5DIII since 2013... FWIW, I use the SD slot, although the CF card is always onboard, because I don't like to transfer images through a CF reader, with the possibility of bending a pin. I've heard far more stories about bent pins than SD cards failing.

I would buy the EOS R, maybe I will. At present I am flirting with the idea of moving to a full 4/3 system. The IQ is quite good in decent light, I need to sell it to myself for high ISO/low light. The weight/size benefits are impressive!

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

tigerotor77w
Goldmember
1,564 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 19, 2018 09:51 |  #2257

dpreview just released their review (external link) on the EOS-R.

It's not particularly positive. I handled the R for about half an hour and I'm not sure I agree with their primary conclusion of ergonomics not feeling polished, but maybe that's my brand bias coming into play.

Photo blog (external link) | Gear

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,897 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 4 months ago by mdvaden.

Nov 19, 2018 20:59 |  #2258

tigerotor77w wrote in post #18754351 (external link)
dpreview just released their review (external link) on the EOS-R.

It's not particularly positive. I handled the R for about half an hour and I'm not sure I agree with their primary conclusion of ergonomics not feeling polished, but maybe that's my brand bias coming into play.

I recall Jared Polin really disliking the lack of joystick until he put it to use and then said he hoped the joystick doesn't come back. As far as DP Review ... it's fair for one to say they don't like something. But its also fair to say they proved they are flawed at implementing the new controls. I find the new controls quite different, but very useful. Whereas Polin showed how to implement features, DP review showed or explained how they failed to get good with it. That's not subjective .. they said so themselves. But if someone doesn't like the touch bar, there are other bodies to fit their likes, and there will be more bodies over the horizon. So the EOS R isn't a step backward. Its one more style of options to choose from.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,246 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 24, 2018 11:50 |  #2259

Another on line comparison. As soon as I saw who produced it I knew it would be negative towards Canon, I don't think I've ever seen him say anything favorable about Canon, that is, nothing beyond a some very qualified positive comments. I started the video in the middle, seems like a peculiar comment to make about a camera.

https://youtu.be/nRXU3​4DD6pM?t=557 (external link)

Flickr (external link)

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,169 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 24, 2018 14:47 |  #2260

patrick j wrote in post #18757553 (external link)
Another on line comparison. As soon as I saw who produced it I knew it would be negative towards Canon, I don't think I've ever seen him say anything favorable about Canon, that is, nothing beyond a some very qualified positive comments. I started the video in the middle, seems like a peculiar comment to make about a camera.

https://youtu.be/nRXU3​4DD6pM?t=557 (external link)

Yeah. I remember when he posted his review of the 5D4. He started the review by stating that the camera was obviously built for stills and not video and proceeded to spend a lot of the review bashing the camera based on video functionality. In the end it just reinforces the fact that the only reviews and comparisons you can rely on are those provided by your own experience.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

i-G12
Wat?
1,647 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by i-G12.

Nov 24, 2018 14:58 |  #2261

nqjudo wrote in post #18757642 (external link)
Yeah. I remember when he posted his review of the 5D4. He started the review by stating that the camera was obviously built for stills and not video and proceeded to spend a lot of the review bashing the camera based on video functionality. In the end it just reinforces the fact that the only reviews and comparisons you can rely on are those provided by your own experience.

I put that guy who did the review on ignore.

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,169 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 24, 2018 15:13 |  #2262

i-G12 wrote in post #18757648 (external link)
I put that guy who did the review on ignore.

Ignore is a nice feature. In the absence of stun and kill, that is.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,476 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 24, 2018 17:26 as a reply to  @ patrick j's post |  #2263

It seems like linking reviews that you find unpersuasive is kind of pointless. Is the goal self-aggrandizement?

Reviews vary - and a lot of the difference comes down to how different folks use and approach gear. Unfortunately, a lot of the difference also comes down to how people want to attach to their brand preference and therefore attack/defend products. It's silly, but I think we all have enough experience to have seen it happen.

I think the EOS R is hitting a kind of 'peak' dissension in this arena because there are two camps forming up (irrespective of the actual camera itself). There are people who have stuck with Canon all along, wishing for a serious FF MILC and waiting and waiting. These people are very predisposed to see the EOS-R as a great camera no matter what. There is another group - Canon users who tired of waiting for Canon to offer a FF MILC and added (or moved completely) to Sony (or Fuji, or something). These users want to see the EOS-R as a failure.

I'm in group two. For sure, I can see the clear misses in the EOS-R as compared to my Sony A7rIII. On the other hand, I still own an EF-24-70 L II, 70-200/2.8 IS II, and 100-400 IS II. If a serious Canon MILC comes along (in line with the 5D line performance) I gotta take a serious look.

For me the wild card is if Canon will be offering some really small lenses like Sony's 1.8/28 FE, 1.4/24 GM, 1.4/50 FE etc. If they do, I'll see a real conundrum.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,584 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Nov 24, 2018 17:42 |  #2264

I am in group 2 I guess. I see the strengths of the EOS R, but it seems a bit rushed (which it was admittedly by Canon), is basically a 6D with a 5D4-like sensor, and is priced above what I think it is worth.

I will wait for 2nd gen offerings, they are sure to be more refined with more features, I suspect, and yes at a higher price tag, but most likely worth it at that point. There is nothing magical about the EOS-R, Canon has made other mirrorless offerings already, and you can see that DNA in the R. However there needs to be some refinement IMO, and additional features/enhanced features to really make me switch over.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,523 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by umphotography. (2 edits in all)

Nov 24, 2018 18:01 |  #2265

JeffreyG wrote in post #18757695 (external link)
It seems like linking reviews that you find unpersuasive is kind of pointless. Is the goal self-aggrandizement?

Reviews vary - and a lot of the difference comes down to how different folks use and approach gear. Unfortunately, a lot of the difference also comes down to how people want to attach to their brand preference and therefore attack/defend products. It's silly, but I think we all have enough experience to have seen it happen.

I think the EOS R is hitting a kind of 'peak' dissension in this arena because there are two camps forming up (irrespective of the actual camera itself). There are people who have stuck with Canon all along, wishing for a serious FF MILC and waiting and waiting. These people are very predisposed to see the EOS-R as a great camera no matter what. There is another group - Canon users who tired of waiting for Canon to offer a FF MILC and added (or moved completely) to Sony (or Fuji, or something). These users want to see the EOS-R as a failure.

I'm in group two. For sure, I can see the clear misses in the EOS-R as compared to my Sony A7rIII. On the other hand, I still own an EF-24-70 L II, 70-200/2.8 IS II, and 100-400 IS II. If a serious Canon MILC comes along (in line with the 5D line performance) I gotta take a serious look.

For me the wild card is if Canon will be offering some really small lenses like Sony's 1.8/28 FE, 1.4/24 GM, 1.4/50 FE etc. If they do, I'll see a real conundrum.

Very fair an honest assessment

Im in the canon camp. For me I could card less weather its mirrorless or not. I dont care if its small or not. I want performance and great optics. That all I care about

I do see some advantages to mirrorless. However, not as many as the mirrorless gods would lead you to believe.

I have said it before and I will say it again. This update is about the new optics that canon has introduced and will introduce next year. These optics are top of the line Zeiss quality from looking at the files I have seen. Frankly I think the 5oR is better the Zeiss 50 but its going to be hard to tell w/o getting them side by side. We have a never thought possible 24-7o F/2 just introduced to the market. The new 24-105r is remarkably sharp.

So this camera needs 2 cards and I will buy instantly. Nothing on the market id=s going to touch these optics. Same for the Nikon camp. Despite all the nay sayers, a top industry pro, Cliff Mautner, has it and loves it. He is working around the no dual card issues by not using it as a main body. It is his candid body and its working great.

The sensor war is over. Ed radar called that right. Its about optics optics and optics. Everyone should take note

Personally- I dont think the AF on any of the mirrorless bodies, and that includes the A9 and A7iii are ready to compete with the top DSLR's like the 1Dx2 and D5. If they cant perform as well or on par, I see many reasons to stay with a DSLR.

I think we are in for interesting times. But I fully plan on getting an EOS R body with dual cards.....and using the R glass

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

115,703 views & 1,660 likes for this thread
EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.