Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 21 Sep 2018 (Friday) 00:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon's EF-M 32mm F1.4 STM

nero_design
143 posts
Gallery: 188 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 08, 2018 10:47 |  #16

The last image was deliberately desaturated because the bright blue paint (rusty as it was) looked overly colorful. Both shots taken with a CPL filter.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
nero_design
143 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 08, 2018 10:49 |  #17

The sharpness of the lens is particularly obvious with architecture.

No Circular Polarizer was used on these shots.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

nero_design
143 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 08, 2018 10:54 |  #18

I'm hungry again now. The staff in this restaurant allowed me to photograph some food as it was set out for collection by the waiting staff. The sunset was taken through my open car window when stopped in traffic.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Dlee13
Goldmember
3,684 posts
Gallery: 499 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 25, 2018 01:49 as a reply to  @ nero_design's post |  #19

Thanks for all the images, this lens does look really good!

Which store did you get yours from? I'm in Sydney too.

Sony Alpha A7III - Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 - Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS -
Canon EOS M5 - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 - Canon EF 11-22mm f/4-5.6 STM

Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

mcoren
624 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015
Post edited 4 months ago by mcoren.

Nov 04, 2018 04:32 |  #20

nero_design, your images are awesome!

I’m intrigued by this lens. I normally don’t use primes or this focal length or wide apertures, but the lens’ specs and the images I’ve seen are tempting me to get it and then go out and find uses for it!

Are there any other Canon non-L lenses with a focus limit switch like this one has? I don’t think I’ve ever seen one. That, and the large focus ring, make me think this is a Canon “We're not calling it an L lens because it’s not full frame but... (wink wink)” lens, kinda like the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8.

Mike

EDIT: I think some of the real early, 1987-era EF non-L lenses had a focus limit switch. I’ve personally been in the EOS ecosystem since late 1992 and I don’t recall any since then that have had it.

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,546 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 04, 2018 06:31 |  #21

nero_design wrote in post #18724804 (external link)
If an Admin or Moderator comes across this post, can they arrange to add this lens to the Gear List please?

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1409239

Dave
Image editing OK

mcoren
624 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Nov 05, 2018 18:38 |  #22

mcoren wrote in post #18743542 (external link)
I think some of the real early, 1987-era EF non-L lenses had a focus limit switch. I’ve personally been in the EOS ecosystem since late 1992 and I don’t recall any since then that have had it.

<OFF TOPIC>
According to the photos in the “Lens Gallery” at the “Canon Camera Museum” (https://global.canon …tml?t=lens&s=ef​&sort=old) (external link), the original 1987 versions of the non-L 100-300 f/5.6, 70-210 f/4, and 50-200 f/3.5-4.5 all had focus limit switches. There were also L versions of the 100-300 and 50-200 that looked similar to the non-L versions, but I recall reading somewhere not too long ago that the non-L versions were very plasticky construction and not very good optically.

I do remember that in the early 1990s, the 100-300 f/5.6L was a favorite among wildlife photographers. AF was slow, even among non-USM lenses at that time, but the images were tack sharp.
</OFF TOPIC>

Mike

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,568 posts
Gallery: 327 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 05, 2018 19:30 |  #23

Just found this thread. I love the M series; particularly the M3 and M6. The size and ergonomics are hard to beat. I just got the M6 kit with 15-45. Nice little kit lens. I like that range better than the 18-55 that came with my M3. I LOVE the 22. Gives you the best possible portability and the results continually blow me away. How is the 11-22? I'm a bit bummed that it's really not much wider than the 15-45. The M kit is just so beautifully compact.

Canon EOS M6 - EOS R - EF, EF-M and RF lenses
Donate for Forum Costs

mcoren
624 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Nov 05, 2018 20:35 |  #24

randy98mtu wrote in post #18744836 (external link)
How is the 11-22? I'm a bit bummed that it's really not much wider than the 15-45.

When the focal lengths get that small, every mm is a big difference. For an APS-C size sensor (like the M series), at 15mm, your horizontal field of view is 74 degrees. At 11mm, it's 91. That's 23% wider.

Mike

nero_design
143 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 06, 2018 04:07 as a reply to  @ Dlee13's post |  #25

Hi there Dlee13. I picked mine up from Digi Direct in Sydney's CBD. It ought to be available across all the different stores by now.
I apologize for not replying sooner but only just revisited this thread.

nero_design
143 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 06, 2018 04:14 |  #26

nero_design, your images are awesome!

I’m intrigued by this lens. I normally don’t use primes or this focal length or wide apertures, but the lens’ specs and the images I’ve seen are tempting me to get it and then go out and find uses for it!

I tend to prefer Prime lenses for their sharpness. It's a small, lightweight alternative to the EF 35mm f/1.4L USM II lens with a much friendlier price-tag. For EOS M owners it performs well.

Are there any other Canon non-L lenses with a focus limit switch like this one has? I don’t think I’ve ever seen one. That, and the large focus ring, make me think this is a Canon “We're not calling it an L lens because it’s not full frame but... (wink wink)” lens, kinda like the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8.

I can't say I've seen one before on a non-L lens. Mind you, I haven't really looked.

nero_design
143 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 06, 2018 04:16 |  #27

Thanks! I just saw your reply and posted a request in the thread you suggested.

Dlee13
Goldmember
3,684 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 06, 2018 05:24 as a reply to  @ nero_design's post |  #28

No problem. I hardly use my M5 now so doubt I'll get it but was just wondering as since moving to Sydney I haven't really found a store I particularly like haha.

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,546 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Jul 2005
Post edited 4 months ago by Choderboy.

Nov 09, 2018 06:59 |  #29

Dlee13 wrote in post #18745080 (external link)
No problem. I hardly use my M5 now so doubt I'll get it but was just wondering as since moving to Sydney I haven't really found a store I particularly like haha.

The mentioned store treated me really bad. I bought 1DX2 which came with (Canon promotion) 600 EXII RT flash. Store was jam packed, big sales on.
Salesman took a fair while locating the flash. When I got home I noticed he had given me 600 EX RT (not the II).
It was now after closing time. Called back next morning, salesman was not in, but I was told "no problem" bring it back in and well give you the right one"
When I returned salesman swore that he had given me the correct flash. No way could he have possibly given me the flash I had in my hand.

I was, to say the least, unhappy. I left the store with the correct flash (after some raised voice and swearing from me).
I was given the correct flash, according to the salesman, as "a gesture of good will"

So, his version, I spent 7K (7.5K with CFast card) as a way of ripping them off the price difference of a 600EXII and a 600EX!

At one point he mentioned that the serial number on my receipt did not match the flash I had brought back!
That was what triggered the raised voice and swearing.
He was just worried about the fact he had made a mistake and would be in trouble with the boss.

I was concerned that not only did I not get the correct flash, I effectively had no proof of ownership due to the serial number not matching what I was given.
So he made two mistakes in the one transaction.

This was at the King st store. I was a regular customer.

I have since found Ben (owner) at Camera warehouse at Tempe to be worth recommending. D*ckheads Direct, they won't get another cent of mine.

Dave
Image editing OK

Dlee13
Goldmember
3,684 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 09, 2018 15:04 |  #30

Choderboy wrote in post #18747151 (external link)
The mentioned store treated me really bad. I bought 1DX2 which came with (Canon promotion) 600 EXII RT flash. Store was jam packed, big sales on.
Salesman took a fair while locating the flash. When I got home I noticed he had given me 600 EX RT (not the II).
It was now after closing time. Called back next morning, salesman was not in, but I was told "no problem" bring it back in and well give you the right one"
When I returned salesman swore that he had given me the correct flash. No way could he have possibly given me the flash I had in my hand.

I was, to say the least, unhappy. I left the store with the correct flash (after some raised voice and swearing from me).
I was given the correct flash, according to the salesman, as "a gesture of good will"

So, his version, I spent 7K (7.5K with CFast card) as a way of ripping them off the price difference of a 600EXII and a 600EX!

At one point he mentioned that the serial number on my receipt did not match the flash I had brought back!
That was what triggered the raised voice and swearing.
He was just worried about the fact he had made a mistake and would be in trouble with the boss.

I was concerned that not only did I not get the correct flash, I effectively had no proof of ownership due to the serial number not matching what I was given.
So he made two mistakes in the one transaction.

This was at the King st store. I was a regular customer.

I have since found Ben (owner) at Camera warehouse at Tempe to be worth recommending. D*ckheads Direct, they won't get another cent of mine.

Interesting to hear that. I've been in Sydney only 1.5 years and have only shopped at George's, Digidirect that you went to and Digital Camera Warehouse as well.

George's gave me excellent service when I bought my 6D Mark II but when it came to the A7III, they lied about stock to me and a lot of other people and would not give a proper date so I ended up cancelling with them and getting through Camera Pro (who are in QLD but I ordered on a Thursday and had the body in my hand on a Friday).

For me Digi have just been very average, I thankfully didn't get any bad treatment but there was no above and beyond customer service either.

DigitalCameraWarehouse have been ok but when I bought some sensor cleaning kit, they kept trying to talk me out of it and say to get a professional to do it which annoyed me. In other countries, sensor cleaning is only about $25 but here they charge $100+ so I much rather do it myself.

I guess Nero_design is lucky they didn't have any bad experience.

sponsored links

10,330 views & 20 likes for this thread
Canon's EF-M 32mm F1.4 STM
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.