Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 06 Nov 2018 (Tuesday) 17:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

TEE BALL - THIS WAS SOOOO MUCH FUN...

dougy_8505
187 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 06, 2018 17:18 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

So my son had his first Tee Ball tournament this weekend and i spent the day shooting the kiddos as best as i could.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Bodies: Sony A6000, T3i and Xti(needs repairs, but use in manual)
Lenes: Sony 16-50(kit), Canon 50 F1.8, Sigma 24-70 F2.8-4, Canon 70-210 F4, Canon 55-250 IS, Canon 75-300, and Canon 18-55(auto focus is broken so I use it on the Xti)
Flash: 430ex

sponsored links
Lyndön
Goldmember
2,230 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 06, 2018 22:49 |  #2

That's a fun time to shoot them learning to play. :-) My daughter is now in 8u and things are quite a bit more on the serious side!

GEAR LIST

dougy_8505
THREAD ­ STARTER
187 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 07, 2018 07:08 as a reply to  @ Lyndön's post |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

oh god - some of the parents from a couple of the other teams were ridiculous..

1 dad was SCREAMING from the dug out at his kid, and a couple of mom's from that same team were running their mouths like hens... Makes me remember why i hated sports when my 19yr old was little.

I'm glade i only shot that team 1 game, it was pissing me off how ridiculous they get...

Bodies: Sony A6000, T3i and Xti(needs repairs, but use in manual)
Lenes: Sony 16-50(kit), Canon 50 F1.8, Sigma 24-70 F2.8-4, Canon 70-210 F4, Canon 55-250 IS, Canon 75-300, and Canon 18-55(auto focus is broken so I use it on the Xti)
Flash: 430ex

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,532 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 07, 2018 11:03 |  #4

I miss those days. All my kids "played" t-ball. From building castles between 2nd and third, to reminding the outfielders there was still a game going on.... it was totally fun. Miss those days. They go by so fast.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

bstephan
248 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Dec 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by bstephan.

Nov 16, 2018 15:25 |  #5

Youth baseball, I certainly miss it… It goes by in a flash and I even miss observing some of the bad parental behavior, assuming no physical or emotional abuse – lol! I did watch a mother from a Corpus Christi 9U team recite some kind of voodoo hex at the opposing kids while they were in the on-deck circle. I don’t believe in that stuff (neither did the other team, since they won), but that’s my #1 on the top 10 list of crazy parent behavior.

I started photographing my son and the other player’s back in t-ball to keep my mouth shut and give a little bit back to the kids and parents. Over the last 17 years I’d amassed a couple hundred thousand photos of my kids’ teammates – lol! I’ve recently deleted all but my son, group shots and recent college teammates and still have in the tens of thousands of photos.

Tips on photographing youth baseball (all baseball actually). Lower is better, get yourself a cheap three-legged camp stool and shoot sitting down and in comfort (with much better angles). Shooting from behind the fence or net works great, just get close. I hold the lens hood against the net for stability aligning the lens center with an opening (I’ve never shot on the field - it’s also smart to buy accidental breakage insurance for the lens, I’ve never needed it, but it’s cheap and kept me relaxed while shooting against the net). Good glass makes all the difference my 100-400mm with image stabilization has been my favorite, but the 70-200mm is very good too…

I love baseball, I tried to indoctrinate both my boys, but it just didn’t take with my eldest. In fact, the first time he watched more than an inning or two was when his brother was the Friday night starter for Arkansas in 2017. Enjoy the journey, there’s nothing purer than watching baseball before they become teenagers… lol! Plus, everyone loves the team photographer. Here are some baseball photoshop ideas (message me if you’d like the ESPN artwork): https://www.flickr.com …/albums/7215764​5529256141 (external link)

Hit’em where they ain’t -Bill

I'm Bill...
Gear List: 5D Mark III gripped & 7D Mark II gripped - EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II, EF 135mm f2L, EF 85mm f1.8, EF 16-35mm f/2.8L and a couple bad hats

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,230 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 16, 2018 23:56 |  #6

bstephan wrote in post #18752521 (external link)
Youth baseball, I certainly miss it… It goes by in a flash and I even miss observing some of the bad parental behavior, assuming no physical or emotional abuse – lol! I did watch a mother from a Corpus Christi 9U team recite some kind of voodoo hex at the opposing kids while they were in the on-deck circle. I don’t believe in that stuff (neither did the other team, since they won), but that’s my #1 on the top 10 list of crazy parent behavior.

I started photographing my son and the other player’s back in t-ball to keep my mouth shut and give a little bit back to the kids and parents. Over the last 17 years I’d amassed a couple hundred thousand photos of my kids’ teammates – lol! I’ve recently deleted all but my son, group shots and recent college teammates and still have in the tens of thousands of photos.

Tips on photographing youth baseball (all baseball actually). Lower is better, get yourself a cheap three-legged camp stool and shoot sitting down and in comfort (with much better angles). Shooting from behind the fence or net works great, just get close. I hold the lens hood against the net for stability aligning the lens center with an opening (I’ve never shot on the field - it’s also smart to buy accidental breakage insurance for the lens, I’ve never needed it, but it’s cheap and kept me relaxed while shooting against the net). Good glass makes all the difference my 100-400mm with image stabilization has been my favorite, but the 70-200mm is very good too…

I love baseball, I tried to indoctrinate both my boys, but it just didn’t take with my eldest. In fact, the first time he watched more than an inning or two was when his brother was the Friday night starter for Arkansas in 2017. Enjoy the journey, there’s nothing purer than watching baseball before they become teenagers… lol! Plus, everyone loves the team photographer. Here are some baseball photoshop ideas (message me if you’d like the ESPN artwork): https://www.flickr.com …/albums/7215764​5529256141 (external link)

Hit’em where they ain’t -Bill

Same with my girls. Both have played softball and my youngest is still in 8u, but I can’t get them to watch a game on TV at all. They do enjoy going to see the local minor league (TN Smokies) or Univ of Tennessee teams play in person, so that’s a start I guess. (They absolutely LOVE hockey though... weird, lol). My oldest liked being a cheerleader in the dugout more than actually playing, so she only made it a couple of seasons before losing interest.

I shoot the same way... low and as close to the fence as possible. I actually carry my gear in a rolling pelican case because it doubles nicely as a low seat that I can pull right up next to the fence so I can shoot as close as possible. I recently switched to Sony, and my favorite and most used lenses are the 70-200 2.8 GM, EF 300 2.8 IS (adapted with MC-11), and occasionally a 1.4x. I’ve made baseball cards, photo books, and many other things for their teams along the way. Fun stuff.

It’s certainly nice watching them grow and get better and more skilled as time goes on. I’m doing my best to enjoy it as much as possible now before she moves up another level or two and it gets even more insane. lol

GEAR LIST

bstephan
248 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 17, 2018 18:12 |  #7

Lyndön wrote in post #18752718 (external link)
Same with my girls. Both have played softball and my youngest is still in 8u, but I can’t get them to watch a game on TV at all. They do enjoy going to see the local minor league (TN Smokies) or Univ of Tennessee teams play in person, so that’s a start I guess. (They absolutely LOVE hockey though... weird, lol). My oldest liked being a cheerleader in the dugout more than actually playing, so she only made it a couple of seasons before losing interest.

I shoot the same way... low and as close to the fence as possible. I actually carry my gear in a rolling pelican case because it doubles nicely as a low seat that I can pull right up next to the fence so I can shoot as close as possible. I recently switched to Sony, and my favorite and most used lenses are the 70-200 2.8 GM, EF 300 2.8 IS (adapted with MC-11), and occasionally a 1.4x. I’ve made baseball cards, photo books, and many other things for their teams along the way. Fun stuff.

It’s certainly nice watching them grow and get better and more skilled as time goes on. I’m doing my best to enjoy it as much as possible now before she moves up another level or two and it gets even more insane. lol

I spent 3 days in Knoxville watching the Hogs play the Vols in 2017 - Weather was bad but the kid pitched well enough to earn SEC pitcher of the week. Great fans and you guys are going to get better quick with Vitello's recruiting (he's one of the best). https://www.flickr.com …text=Tennessee&​view_all=1 (external link)

It's nice to know I'm wasn't the only crazy dad photographer out there... Breath it all in, it really does just go by so quickly.

-Bill

I'm Bill...
Gear List: 5D Mark III gripped & 7D Mark II gripped - EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II, EF 135mm f2L, EF 85mm f1.8, EF 16-35mm f/2.8L and a couple bad hats

Shorthairs
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 27, 2019 18:25 |  #8

Enjoy these days. They will be gone far too quickly!

sponsored links

1,064 views & 4 likes for this thread
TEE BALL - THIS WAS SOOOO MUCH FUN...
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.