Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 08 Nov 2018 (Thursday) 00:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lighting Purchasing Advice

stanwelks
201 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 08, 2018 00:32 |  #1

I want to get lights that I can use for portraits, and I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Things that I am looking for:
- a key light and another light or possibly two that will synch with the key light to light a background
- the ability to use the lights indoors and possibly outdoors, so some battery power option for the lights would be nice
- I have seen video lights that enable you to change color temperature on the back of the lights so you do not need to use gels, this is not a huge thing, though if this exists for photography lights it would be nice
- ability to easily attach softboxes and beauty dishes
- under $4,000 for the light and soft box, I already have c stands, sand bags
- will use it with a 5DM3 and a Sony A73
- I am not sure how much power I need? The room that the lights will regularly be used in is not very large, about 14ft from the background to the other side of the room. Maybe 5ft or so on either side of where the subject will be to move the key light.

I'm not sure what else I should be looking for in terms of features...

Thanks for any suggestions!

sponsored links
Nogo
POTN record for # of posts during "Permanent Ban"
7,813 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited 11 months ago by Nogo.

Nov 08, 2018 01:26 |  #2

The Godox system would be my recommendation. If you live in the United States, the best place to buy them is from Adorama. Flashpoint is their store brand name for Godox lighting and they provide the warranty. The reason to buy them from a reseller such as Adorama is because they provide after sale service. Basically the manufacturer does not so if you buy that brand buy it from a retailer who also supports them.

A Flashpoint XPLOR 600 PRO TTL (external link) and two Flashpoint Evolv 200 TTL (external link) units can be purchased for around $1200.00 USD if you catch them on sale, so that would give you plenty left over to buy modifiers.

For your price range you would probably want the 600 Pro, but if you wanted to save even more money, the older version is on sale right now for quite a bit less.

Philip

jlafferty
259 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Post edited 11 months ago by jlafferty.

Nov 08, 2018 07:15 |  #3

Agreed on a Godox / Flashpoint. And I like the idea of the single XplorPro with two eVOLV 200s and the twin bracket. Very versatile setup.

If you want to jump into video with a low investment cost, get the Aputure Amaran ALH198 Daylight. It's $70. There are DSTE NP-F750 batteries that come two plus a charger for around $35 on Amazon. They each last 6+ hours. Speaking generally, photo lights aren't good video lights and vice versa - that's still a few years away.

Be aware you'll need separate triggers for each camera system - one Canon, one Sony. But the lights have the receivers built in. I suggest the R2Pro trigger. There's even a revised R2Pro that's only out for Canon at the moment (might not have shipped yet) - you might check that out, but if you want identical triggers for each system you'll have to stick with the older R2Pro (which is already excellent).

If you want a general overview of these lights you can check out my reviews on Adorama's website:

https://www.adorama.co​m/alc/jim-lafferty (external link)

I've gotten some of this gear in exchange for the review content and, having found I like it so much, have bought others out of pocket. It's pretty much all I use to shoot 99% of my pro work - mix of editorial and commercial.

Current Portfolio (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,980 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Nov 08, 2018 07:29 |  #4

Agree with everyone else, Godox or Flashpoint.... There are so many devices you can chain together inexpensively. You will need two transmitters for your two cameras, but they are fairly inexpensive (Xpro II - $70 x 2). If you get flashes to put on your bodies, then you will add complications by having to buy two of each. I think it better to always just have flash/lighting off camera, and use the Xpro to trigger.

http://flashhavoc.com/​godox-flash-system-overview/ (external link)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
1,098 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2015

Nov 08, 2018 11:06 |  #5

Phottix. Decent gear. Speedlights and strobes. Triggers. The works.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

Tessa
Playing with fire
1,806 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2008
Post edited 11 months ago by Tessa.

Nov 08, 2018 13:03 |  #6

I really like Godox. I do only have the smaller units (200 and two V860 II flashes) but I love the fact that I can control them all remotely with one single Xpro trigger, no receivers needed.

firme
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 08, 2018 15:40 |  #7

To avoid starting a new thread, I have one Canon 580EX with two Pocket Wizards II used on Canon 80d. I have been seeing/hearing the name Godox/Flashpoint mentioned continuously. They sure have caught my attention.

Now from what I read, the triggers allow one to control the flashes without having to adjust them manually and can control what flashes go off when using multiple flashes? What other advantages do they offer vs a set up that I currently have? Not saying I am not content with what I have as that is all I ever used when I am taking photos. Quite frankly, I haven't kept up with how technology has gotten better through the years in the photography world. As you can see, I don't have much at all. I was planning on adding another flash and triggers. But somewhat geared toward getting Godox/Flashpoint. Of course it wont happen today or tomorrow, have to save first. I guess just trying to figure if worth upgrading or just have what I have and add to that. From what I searched, even older Pocket Wizards are more than the triggers mentioned bran new.

I saw this one which was mentioned above as well.
https://www.adorama.co​m …dePaDrfHST0AaAm​qKEALw_wcB (external link)

jlafferty
259 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Post edited 11 months ago by jlafferty.

Nov 08, 2018 20:51 |  #8

So, the Godox advantage is that it's a broad system of several light styles, all with integrated receivers. Some of the speedlights can act as commanders, adjusting and firing other lights in the system. And yeah, you can set channels, and within channels, groups - so you can say, have your key light as Group A, your fill as Group B, and your background lights as Group C… and can adjust their power independently and remotely from the camera using either a dedicated trigger, or a Godox speedlight. And with the channels, you can set different sets of groups for different sets. You can see how this gets really broad and likely not anything you're going to use to full advantage pretty quickly, but even with just 2-3 lights having groups and remote power adjustment is awesome. And it should be noted it's not that this scenario is unique only to Godox, but what's unique is that they have the broadest system of lights in size, cost, output, weight and form factor - everything from a 1200ws bi-tube, down to a 200ws light that looks like a beefy speedlight (yet has 3x their output).

In your case, let's say you get a Godox / Flashpoint speedlight and trigger. You'll need a single receiver for your Canon speedlight. If you sell your Canon speedlight, and exchange it for a Godox / Flashpoint light, you won't need a receiver at all. The AD200 / eVOLV is a natural progression from where you are and would be a solid investment IMO should you decide to "trade up".

firme wrote in post #18746766 (external link)
To avoid starting a new thread, I have one Canon 580EX with two Pocket Wizards II used on Canon 80d. I have been seeing/hearing the name Godox/Flashpoint mentioned continuously. They sure have caught my attention.

Now from what I read, the triggers allow one to control the flashes without having to adjust them manually and can control what flashes go off when using multiple flashes? What other advantages do they offer vs a set up that I currently have? Not saying I am not content with what I have as that is all I ever used when I am taking photos. Quite frankly, I haven't kept up with how technology has gotten better through the years in the photography world. As you can see, I don't have much at all. I was planning on adding another flash and triggers. But somewhat geared toward getting Godox/Flashpoint. Of course it wont happen today or tomorrow, have to save first. I guess just trying to figure if worth upgrading or just have what I have and add to that. From what I searched, even older Pocket Wizards are more than the triggers mentioned bran new.

I saw this one which was mentioned above as well.
https://www.adorama.co​m …dePaDrfHST0AaAm​qKEALw_wcB (external link)

Current Portfolio (external link)

firme
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 09, 2018 00:00 |  #9

Thanks for the explanation. I agree, I probably will not use all the functions. I guess the only advantage I have now is that I don't have a lot of "lighting" equipment to try and sell if I do make the move to get something better. Also, a plus that it has built in receivers.

I did see their lineup on the website. Plenty to choose from.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,980 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 11 months ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Nov 09, 2018 07:52 |  #10

With the new Flashpoint XPRO II, you can control everything from your phone as well, and I am considering moving to that from my first gen XPro. One my big complaints about the Xpro was that it was at an angle and when it is on the camera on a tripod, it was hard for me to see the settings. Many gave me guff over that in the Godox thread, but hey, Godox just offered a hotshoe device to make the Xpro stand up right. Imagine that, I wasn't the only one... ;) However the Xpro II with a phone app is even better than that!

Plus a flash acts as a transmitter too if you have to have a flash on your camera.

EDIT: cannot find my xpro box, doggone it, makes it easier to sell...

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links

1,227 views & 12 likes for this thread
Lighting Purchasing Advice
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.