Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Nov 2018 (Thursday) 10:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

No new releases for EF lens for 2019- per Canon

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,458 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 08, 2018 10:19 |  #1

Just saw the video in the EOR R "thoughts" thread

Page 37 at the 18:30 mark- watch the video

" We are behind and will concentrate on RF lens only for the foreseeable future" No new EF lens for 2019 or improvements

Man if this doesnt convince you that the DSLR is going to way of the dinosaur nothing else will- DSLR and EF lens are done and will be done very soon

Who's gonna buy when they get the R mount bodies up to par. All the technology will be put into R Mount Optics. This is where Canon is going to go

I think they will release a dual card mirrorless sooner v/s later and everything will be R optics for Canon. Very smart move with their adapter.

I have my last DSLR's

Everything is going to change in my opinion. here ya go

https://youtu.be/Q99yw​qiXv7c (external link)

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,285 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Nov 08, 2018 11:09 |  #2

Just another reason I dumped most of my EF glass. The only one I can't get rid of, because I dont' want to, is the 85L II. No manufacturer has it, especially in an AF version.

Eventually, the R system will catch up. Currently, it's just in it's infancy. I suspect, however, before the Summer Olympics in Japan for 2020, there will be a bunch of new offerings from all manufacturers. ;)

The RF lenses, on the other hand, in that video, look massive! :eek:

MCSquared Photography (external link) on WWW
MCSquared Photography (external link) on Flickr
MCSquared Photography (external link) on IG
My name: Manish.

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,458 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 08, 2018 11:15 |  #3

inthedeck wrote in post #18746595 (external link)
Just another reason I dumped most of my EF glass. The only one I can't get rid of, because I dont' want to, is the 85L II. No manufacturer has it, especially in an AF version.

Eventually, the R system will catch up. Currently, it's just in it's infancy. I suspect, however, before the Summer Olympics in Japan for 2020, there will be a bunch of new offerings from all manufacturers. ;)

The RF lenses, on the other hand, in that video, look massive! :eek:

Agreed

So much for the reason I shoot mirrorless is because its smaller and Lighter- That's now a fallacy

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 08, 2018 14:26 |  #4

In the video, he doesn't say " We are behind and will concentrate on RF lens only for the foreseeable future". He says there will be "no EF lenses next year, because Canon needs to catch up [no doubt referencing Sony's FE line]", and that it's best to produce 10 instead of 3 here or 2 here. When the interviewer asks him directly about EF lenses (as Canon has not stated this), he says "We will get back to that, and there are roadmaps to different EF lenses that we want to produce". Certainly when Canon has stopped producing DSLRs will it phase out EF lens production. But in the interim, it has a leg with having a large range of EF lenses that can be used on the R system.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

mcoren
621 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Nov 08, 2018 17:02 |  #5

Seems like a good idea from a business perspective, although not something I would think a company should be announcing publicly. Disclaimer: I didn't watch the video so I don't know exactly what was said or who it is who is saying it.

The EF line is pretty comprehensive right now. There really aren't any glaring omissions that are holding anybody back. Sure, everybody would like some faster lenses, or adding IS to a couple of favorites, but they pretty much have something for every need right now.

The RF line, in contrast, has four lenses. If Canon is really serious that this is their future, then they should be stacking as many resources as they can into filling out the RF lens line as quickly as possible.

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,251 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 08, 2018 17:11 |  #6

Agree that since there are already so many great options this probably won't hurt much. Seems like every time lately that rumors swirl about a lens update there are a lot of comments saying "it's already so freaking awesome, no way they can make it sharper. The only reason they are updating it is to jack up the price again!!!"

Regardless of the focus on R/RF we still have a few years of DSLR/EF development ahead.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
22,991 posts
Joined May 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by ed rader. (2 edits in all)

Nov 08, 2018 20:58 |  #7

"Certainly when Canon has stopped producing DSLRs will it phase out EF lens production"

which Canon DSLRs do you see coming? I believe Canon will not make anymore FF DSLRs and therefore no more new EF lenses. maybe this explains why canon has released so many new and upgraded lenses in the past few years.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

ed ­ rader
22,991 posts
Joined May 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by ed rader.

Nov 08, 2018 21:01 |  #8

"The only reason they are updating it is to jack up the price again!!!""

profit is what drives business. I don't have a problem with it. maybe Nikon will keep producing DSLRs but I wouldnt count on it. one more big mistake and Nikon could go the way of the DSLR LMAO!

5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

ed ­ rader
22,991 posts
Joined May 2005

Nov 08, 2018 21:10 |  #9

"The EF line is pretty comprehensive right now. There really aren't any glaring omissions that are holding anybody back. Sure, everybody would like some faster lenses, or adding IS to a couple of favorites, but they pretty much have something for every need right now."

bingo! the canon line up is way ahead of the competition and these lenses will work fabulously on R mount bodies with no penalties -- in fact with the slick adapters canon offers there are actual benefits to shooting EF glass on mirrorless bodies.

davesrose
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by davesrose. (2 edits in all)

Nov 08, 2018 21:31 |  #10

ed rader wrote in post #18746941 (external link)
"Certainly when Canon has stopped producing DSLRs will it phase out EF lens production"

which Canon DSLRs do you see coming? I believe Canon will not make anymore FF DSLRs and therefore no more new EF lenses. maybe this explains why canon has released so many new and upgraded lenses in the past few years.

Well if we look at this video, the 1D series for one: when asked about AF, the rep does say the 1D series is much faster at AF because of predictive focusing. Also not sure how the continued steady stream of EF lens introductions means there had been an idea for FF mirror-less years ago.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,251 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by Left Handed Brisket. (2 edits in all)

Nov 08, 2018 21:33 |  #11

ed rader wrote in post #18746941 (external link)

80/90D or maybe 7DIII, but I think an updated 80/90 would do the job of a 7DIII, this will probably come in the next 6 months.

1DxIII, 4 years between I and II, II is going to be 3 years old in a few months. Not sure Canon has the procecessing power to match those specs on an R in a years time. I also think there is some nostalgic and historical significance in being able to say "this will be our final DSLR" at the time of release.

5D is in a grey area. I doubt there will be a need for it unless canon really can't get great subject tracking off the sensor while pulling high FPS off a high MP sensor. There is also the nostalgia factor. They may want to do a minor upgrade and call it a swan song.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,801 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 08, 2018 21:36 |  #12

umphotography wrote in post #18746567 (external link)
" We are behind and will concentrate on RF lens only for the foreseeable future". . No new EF lens for 2019 or improvements.

Man if this doesn't convince you that the DSLR is going to way of the dinosaur nothing else will- DSLR and EF lens are done and will be done very soon

Who's gonna buy when they get the R mount bodies up to par?

I will! . . I will!

This is great news for me. . Why? . Because financially, I am a bottom feeder. . I simply cannot afford the DSLR or the Canon EF lenses that I really want. . So if it all does go the way of the dinosaur, then prices could plummet rapidly and drastically, and I may be able to finally get the gear I've been wanting for so long.

I thought I'd have to wait a year or three to get a 5D4.

And I thought I'd have to wait 10 or 12 years to get lenses like the 600mm IS v2 and the 200-400/560. . But if Canon abandons the EF mount, then these lenses could be within my reach in just 4 or 5 years. . How awesome would that be???!!!!!

Yoo hoo! . Quality gear, here I come!!!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

ed ­ rader
22,991 posts
Joined May 2005

Nov 08, 2018 22:41 as a reply to  @ davesrose's post |  #13

whose gonna pay $6k for a DSLR that doesn't use R lenses?

davesrose
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by davesrose.

Nov 08, 2018 22:47 as a reply to  @ ed rader's post |  #14

All the folks who buy 1DX series now. You have sports and wildlife shooters needing long telephotos that are just EF. You have film makers using the 1Dx2 as B-roll cinema DCI 4K.

Canon 5D mk IV
smugmug (external link)

ed ­ rader
22,991 posts
Joined May 2005

Nov 08, 2018 22:50 as a reply to  @ davesrose's post |  #15

in other words. not many.

sponsored links

11,039 views & 131 likes for this thread
No new releases for EF lens for 2019- per Canon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.