Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,371 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Nov 08, 2018 18:13 |  #571

Pondrader wrote in post #18746779 (external link)
Reading this a question comes to mind... In a room full of owners and prospective owners..

Are third party images taken by god only knows who under what circumstances relevant in a conversation ??

Do the opinions of internet person's outside of those present matter to the owners and prospective owners discussion's.

I for one have never taken images of crayons and paint sets and have little care for testing, It honestly makes my skin crawl.

I use real wildlife and landscapes in real situations.. I mean sharing experiences with a camera is a personal hands on kinda thing if you ask me.

Well it's quite easy to understand, dpreview takes the same exposures of a lit scene vs a low light at the same exposures at different ISOs, across all cameras. Not hard to understand... and is completely a valid basis for comparisons.

The only correct approach is to shoot the same thing at the same exposures, whether that thing is a box of crayons, a fox, or a bride in low light, and compare the raw files.

Anything else is subjective. ;)

So your ownership lasted all of a week or so, what happened?

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,371 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed. (7 edits in all)

Nov 08, 2018 18:16 as a reply to  @ post 18746849 |  #572

Please read who I was replying to earlier to which you then replied, they brought up 5 stops of underexposure, I was simply replying to that.

Quite frankly, you could easily have a section of an image that you might bring up in post 2-3 stops, especially with weddings and receptions.

Finally that is a 100% crop, and resized to normal viewing and printing sizes, the differences aren't nearly as noticeable.

I know you are very aware of both these points so.....?

Finally my reply wasn't generic to everyone, I replied to ONE person, and a few of you had to jump all over my reply, when it indeed was accurate for the member it was directed to. It was based on my own professional experience in both photography and extensive history in pushing high iso files and shadow noise.

My 5D3 wedding reception shots at high ISO came out well and didn't require a ton of processing. Here are a couple of examples, and I even have some 25600 shots as well. These two were about 1 to 1.5 stops underexposed, and so processing included pushing up the raw before doing the heavy lifting in CS5. This reception hall was stupid dark, with 70's wood paneling walls that were light sponges. :( Of course the EOS R will focus better in that low light, the 5D3 wasn't all that great there, and the 5D4 would also make easy work of this too.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
15,748 posts
Gallery: 2431 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 3 months ago by Pondrader.

Nov 08, 2018 20:20 |  #573

10 days actually... I evaluated a EOS R for 10 day to see if it would add to my photography in a meaningful way..

To see if it could cope with the wildlife photographers life style. To evaluate image quality in less than optimal conditions.

To most of us the correct approach is to just use a camera and not worry about smiges here or there.

As you say nothing has changed in the last 7 or 8 years..

The question still remains as to weather we gain from this information.

The EOS R is the future... it doesn't matter if it borrowed a sensor from the 5Div

It doesn't matter how this same sensor stacks up against a 7 year old sensor because the entire format has changed.

how you hold the camera.. how your record the show...... so to speak. It makes photography so much fun to do..

So much easier to manipulate the settings and control the out come of the image through the super big viewfinder.

To adjust on the fly and see your results before you even pull the trigger...

And with the push of one button placed on top of the camera so as to not giggle as your own settings start recording your video..

The first steps... first home run... first win at track and field.. Thats what this camera is all about. Not what some so called pro thinks.

First Chickadee with a EOS R :-D

HOSTED PHOTO

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

Shortaction
93 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Jul 2018

Nov 08, 2018 20:31 |  #574

Has anyone tried shooting the Milky Way with the new EOS R?

I really enjoy astrophotography and was looking at a 6D for the job. My 7DII is pretty decent with the Tokina 14-20mm f2. But starting to wonder if I'd be better off moving up to the EOS R as it has a lot more to offer over the old 6D for other photography, but not seeing much on it with Milky Way shots?

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,562 posts
Gallery: 327 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 08, 2018 20:33 |  #575

I have been watching reviews and combing through the manual. Some of the reviews and comments hear seem to imply Fv mode is nothing new because it's just like a supercharged P mode. To me though, it looks like a great change. Sometimes I'm shooting in Av and I want to set a shutter speed. Now I would have to go to M mode and set everything up. In Fv mode, I can set whatever I want and it will just fill in the blanks. Looks to me like less trips to Mode switching.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon EOS M6 - EOS R - EF, EF-M and RF lenses
Donate for Forum Costs

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 08, 2018 20:33 |  #576

i-G12 wrote in post #18746267 (external link)
Jeff, did you have the Dual Pixel feature enabled when you were shooting stills with the camera RF 24-105? I’m just curious.

When I first got the 5D4, I tried enabling Dual Pixel RAW. I noticed my file sizes went from 33MB to 50. It's also a feature only accessible with Canon DPP software. With my tests, I found it was very subtle and Photoshop has some pretty promising sharpening tools for areas that are slightly out of focus. Since I'd rather use Adobe software, I've just disabled it. When Dual Pixel first came out, Canon highlighted that it's most apparent with really shallow DOF from fast prime apertures.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Pondrader
15,748 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 08, 2018 21:05 |  #577

randy98mtu wrote in post #18746927 (external link)
I have been watching reviews and combing through the manual. Some of the reviews and comments hear seem to imply Fv mode is nothing new because it's just like a supercharged P mode. To me though, it looks like a great change. Sometimes I'm shooting in Av and I want to set a shutter speed. Now I would have to go to M mode and set everything up. In Fv mode, I can set whatever I want and it will just fill in the blanks. Looks to me like less trips to Mode switching.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by randy98mtu in
./showthread.php?p=187​46927&i=i142885369
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

interesting ya :-D:lol::-P

flickr (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,371 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Nov 08, 2018 21:55 as a reply to  @ randy98mtu's post |  #578

That looks pretty interesting, and there are some that tried Fv mode and seem to really like it.

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,829 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by mdvaden.

Nov 08, 2018 23:30 |  #579

I like this EOS R & RF 50mm 1.2 every bit as much as my 5DS and Zeiss Milvus 85mm ... just a bit more compact and light weight.

From the redwoods, yesterday afternoon. So different from how I shoot there normally. I often aim for f/7.1 ... ISO 100 ... and shutter like 1/10 or 1/2 when it's in the heavy shade. With no tripod yesterday since it was mostly portraits, I went 1/200 with the ISO up over 1000

HOSTED PHOTO

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

avondale87
Goldmember
2,948 posts
Gallery: 348 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 08, 2018 23:50 |  #580

I've been following this thread with interest and as a non full framer.

Any full framers DSLR's probably no need to read past here, but post for those existing mirrorless that are, like me wanting something better or newer than their existing model and don't want a DSLR.

I went into the only camera shop around this neck of the woods, and they had just opened the new EOS R and they exclaimed I was the first customer to handle it. (it was still not set up so new was it)
So my comments come from a non user, but one interested in one and also from a much smaller mirrorless - EM5.

For those coming from that perspective my initial thoughts were - weight and size. Not huge by comparison but significantly larger.
I fully appreciate most (all here) are coming from full frame DSLR backgrounds.
But it was something I could easily wield one handed as I'm accustomed to with the EM5, but I have big hands and still full strength in my ageing body.

I liked the layout, it felt familiar. I also have smaller Canon's so that had a familiar ring to it.

I won't go into any technicalities as they have been espoused on here to great depth, but my thoughts were would I buy it after seeing and handling it.
There's enough written here and some excellent real, natural environs photos to make me confident this would do all I had in mind plus more.
But it's size was profoundly bigger than I'm used to and that would be the deciding factor.

So I came away impressed but with an open mind.
Talk is about a new Olympus next year and then there's the A9.

I'll hang in there and mull over it.

Richard

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,492 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 09, 2018 00:03 |  #581

Pondrader wrote in post #18746779 (external link)
Reading this a question comes to mind... In a room full of owners and prospective owners..

Are third party images taken by god only knows who under what circumstances relevant in a conversation ??

Do the opinions of internet person's outside of those present matter to the owners and prospective owners discussion's.

I for one have never taken images of crayons and paint sets and have little care for testing, It honestly makes my skin crawl.

I use real wildlife and landscapes in real situations.. I mean sharing experiences with a camera is a personal hands on kinda thing if you ask me.

They are relevant when a number of god only knows who's results are similar and when the same god only knows who's results were found to be relevant when you used your own camera in real situations.
If the same god only knows who's have a long history, as many do, how could they possibly not be relevant. Bryan Carnathan for example, an example of purely technical analysis. Kai from DPreview, an example of more comedy than technical discussion but still offers input that can be digested with the reader / viewer having a good basis of knowing the reviewers style and history.

Many reviewers have been around since 5D2, 5D3 or earlier (I know Bryan and I think Kai were reviewing 5D original and it's not like they are the only reviewers with that go back that far). That's a lot of familiarity for us to use to decide if they are reliable and credible.

I have never seen anyone who uses batteries, crayons or test charts referring to anyone who does not making their skin crawl. Real life analysis or test chart analysis, it's just a different method. Putting people down for using other than your own choice, is, a choice.

Dave
Image editing OK

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,492 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Jul 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Choderboy.

Nov 09, 2018 00:20 |  #582

aladyforty wrote in post #18746557 (external link)
I think I cant really give up the 7DII, the amount of wildlife I shoot at distance, I really need the pixel density. But for most other stuff I think something like the R could be in my future

I got a 5D4 after using 7D2 for about 18 months. I shoot mostly long, ie focal length limited. (I still had the 1D4.)
I had decided before buying the 5D4 that either the 1D4 or 7D2 would be sold to pay for part of the 5D4.
I sold the 7D2. I now have 1DX2 and 1D4. I arrived at this point with a lot of thought about 'pixels on target' or 'pixel density'.

To me it depends on lens and ability to AF. I found the 5D4 with 100-400 II was much better with 1.4TC compared to 7D2 with 1.4TC.
When I got 5D4 I had Canon 500 f4 V1. I was happy with results with 5D4 and 500 f4 with2X TC. I was not happy with results on 7D2 with same lens/TC.
So it was 7D2 @ 700mm vs 5D4 @ 1000mm or 1120mm effective Vs 1000mm actual focal length. The 5D4 sensor is better than 7D2 and I could see what I was shooting better through the superior viewfinder optics. For me this meant 7fps with better sensor and viewfinder vs 10fps and 11.2% more reach.

If using a 100-400II you lose ability to AF at f11 with bodies I have been talking about so 2XTC is not an option unless you want to manually Af or use Live view AF.
The Sony A9 can AF at f11 so users are finding A9/100-400GM/2XTC to be a good combination.

When I had Sigma 150-600 I would use 1D4 over 7D2 for perched birds and 7D2 without TC for moving things.

Summary: pixel density has not proven to be much of an advantage to me. (At base ISO it has but I'm rarely at base ISO)

Dave
Image editing OK

DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,528 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 09, 2018 01:21 |  #583

Too much discussion about camera and file comparisons.. It just gets boring after a while and almost sounds like a broken record YouTube is the same way. Guys I am still using my Canon AE-1, Minolta SRT 101, a Canon 550d, 5D2, 5D3 and now the R . Just go out there and shoot. I want to see what you guys make with this camera.

Congrats to all who have purchased this beast in its class.

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,562 posts
Gallery: 327 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 09, 2018 05:05 as a reply to  @ DigitalTuned's post |  #584

Amen. I’m hoping to have some stuff to share later today.

Canon EOS M6 - EOS R - EF, EF-M and RF lenses
Donate for Forum Costs

Pondrader
15,748 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 3 months ago by Pondrader.

Nov 09, 2018 06:56 |  #585

Choderboy wrote in post #18747033 (external link)
They are relevant when a number of god only knows who's results are similar and when the same god only knows who's results were found to be relevant when you used your own camera in real situations.
If the same god only knows who's have a long history, as many do, how could they possibly not be relevant. Bryan Carnathan for example, an example of purely technical analysis. Kai from DPreview, an example of more comedy than technical discussion but still offers input that can be digested with the reader / viewer having a good basis of knowing the reviewers style and history.

Many reviewers have been around since 5D2, 5D3 or earlier (I know Bryan and I think Kai were reviewing 5D original and it's not like they are the only reviewers with that go back that far). That's a lot of familiarity for us to use to decide if they are reliable and credible.

I have never seen anyone who uses batteries, crayons or test charts referring to anyone who does not making their skin crawl. Real life analysis or test chart analysis, it's just a different method. Putting people down for using other than your own choice, is, a choice.

So you think that these gods you speak of have a better understanding than the people how are discusing and sharing images is that correct Dave.

Listen Dave your making a comment after proclaiming that you wished not to follow me or my images any longer here on POTN because you just can't believe a guy like me

could get the images I do with the gear I have or have shared in the past here on POTN. And I'm OK with that..

I put no one down... I simply stated that own's here have a voice. That is all.

Thanks For your comments though..

Believe it or not most of these guys on POTN are better shooters and been doing it longer than the internet has been alive.. My two cents

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

205,630 views & 6,211 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.