Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Nov 2018 (Thursday) 10:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

No new releases for EF lens for 2019- per Canon

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,627 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 08, 2018 22:59 as a reply to  @ post 18747000 |  #16

It’s relative: the 1DX2 was cheaper then the 1Dc for video. It also does double duty of being the fastest DSLR which many use long telephotos. For now, not many are leaping on wanting to buy the first Canon R.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links
ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,005 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Nov 09, 2018 02:46 as a reply to  @ davesrose's post |  #17

I think canon will have an R replacement for the 1DX series ready for the 2020 Olympics, as well as at least a couple R mount diffractive optics big guns.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

MatthewK
Goldmember
3,662 posts
Gallery: 641 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 09, 2018 05:02 |  #18

I'm on board to grab the new 600 III next month, but I've started to second guess that decision because of this change to R. Like it or not, it's the future, and while using the adapter makes all of these EF lenses usable in the new system, I'd rather not have to fiddle with it. Couple that with the rumor that the first super tele for R is going to be DO, I'm almost tempted to halt the 600 III purchase and just hang onto my II. The weight reduction and stuff is just what I need, but I suspect that the 400/600 III won't hold their value at all.

"NEW YEAR, NO G.A.S"

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,576 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 4 months ago by TeamSpeed. (4 edits in all)

Nov 09, 2018 06:57 |  #19

Until Canon releases a mirrorless equivalent to the 1DX2 or 5D4 in regards to tenacious tracking for sports, burst speeds, etc, there will be more DSLR and EF lens releases. However I agree with others, there isn't much missing from the EF lineup now, so there isn't any real need for continued EF development.

The Rebel front and xxD front will still have a few releases ahead of them however, and I suspect we will see some EFS and EFM glass still though.

My project is that we will see at least one DSLR successor to the 1DX2, 5D4, 80D, and a couple more Rebels yet. I think there might be a 2-4 new EFS/EFM lenses as well in that time, a couple may just be MKII versions of what is out there.

During this 3 year period, Canon will release 3 mirrorless APSC/FF bodies (excluding the M series) to pander to high resolution and sports and crop/soccer parent users, along with a host of RF lenses that are slight variances of some of the more popular EF lenses. In 4 years, the DSLR market will start to wrap up, and by year 5, it will be full mirrorless development.

None of that means my L lenses are worthless, they still produce outstanding IQ images on outstanding DSLR bodies. Just like when we all say how a successor to model X doesn't mean model X turns to garbage, no different with a new design of body or lens now.

I would be more wary of buying some 3rd party EF lenses personally. Granted if you buy the Sigma or Tamron line with USB ports, you should be able to update firmware, but I would think those have a more limited lifespan than Canon branded lenses when it comes to mirrorless evolution. Canon will continue to enhance the lens to body communication now that they have the hardware in place for improved throughput and functionality. However I don't see that being an issue until 5+ years from now. The manual lenses like Rokinon/Samyang and others are impervious to any Canon changes in the future, so they will always be viable lenses.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,317 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 09, 2018 08:16 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #20

"Until Canon releases a mirrorless equivalent to the 1DX2 or 5D4 in regards to tenacious tracking for sports, burst speeds, etc, there will be more DSLR and EF lens releases."

It really is that simple. Maybe they can wow us with rapid (12-18 months) roll out of R series cameras that match 1 and 5 series, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,576 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 4 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Nov 09, 2018 09:34 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #21

They will have an APS-C EOS R here in the next 4-5 months I feel, then shortly after they will announce an equivalent to either the 5DS or the 1DX, not sure which they would do first. I suspect if they announced a 50Mpx EOS-R with some improvements over the current EOS-R (like IBIS), it will cause EOS-R owners to switch. Then they release a 1D equivalent later.

Whatever the progression, it will be to Canon's benefit, not ours. They will release things in alignment with how they can get people to move from one model to another, something they have been pretty successful at.

They released the EOS-R early without a few of the things they wanted to add (based on the interview from the UK), and then they plan to add the other things later, like a higher resolution body, or IBIS (based on patents filed and again interviews with Canon). Do this and you will get people to open up their checkbooks multiple times.

The big issue I see is that if they expose their roadmap at this time, and they still plan on DSLR releases, it will be ever increasingly difficult to sell the DSLR lines as people just decide to wait. The 5D4 is one of the most well rounded cameras to date, and if you have one, it will be enough to cover that wait for a full mirrorless line.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

mcoren
624 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Nov 09, 2018 11:58 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #22

The APS-C roadmap will be most interesting to me, particularly how the R and M coexist. Some have said that the release of the R meant the death of the M series, but I'm not so sure. The M series could be the entry level, like mirrorless Rebels, while the APS-C R can be the mirrorless enthusiast/prosumer xxD/7Dii. Even this year, while they were preparing to make a big splash with the R, Canon released a new high-end M body (M50) and lens (EF-M 32mm f/1.4).

I've read posts repeatedly hoping that Canon will release some high quality, fast EF-S primes, and then Canon goes and drops the EF-M 32mm f/1.4. Maybe it's the EF-S line whose days are numbered.

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,005 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Nov 09, 2018 12:20 |  #23

mcoren wrote in post #18747320 (external link)
The APS-C roadmap will be most interesting to me, particularly how the R and M coexist. Some have said that the release of the R meant the death of the M series, but I'm not so sure. The M series could be the entry level, like mirrorless Rebels, while the APS-C R can be the mirrorless enthusiast/prosumer xxD/7Dii. Even this year, while they were preparing to make a big splash with the R, Canon released a new high-end M body (M50) and lens (EF-M 32mm f/1.4).

I've read posts repeatedly hoping that Canon will release some high quality, fast EF-S primes, and then Canon goes and drops the EF-M 32mm f/1.4. Maybe it's the EF-S line whose days are numbered.

Mike

isn't the M series Canon's big seller overseas? if so they probably will continue that line. my question is what do I replace my 80d with? I need a crop back-up that uses the same lenses as my R mount FF.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,887 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 09, 2018 13:00 |  #24

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18747148 (external link)
Until Canon releases a mirrorless equivalent to the 1DX2 or 5D4 in regards to tenacious tracking for sports, burst speeds, etc, there will be more DSLR and EF lens releases.

But Mike's point is that the Canon 1Dx2 mirrorless equivalent will come before any more DLSRs and EF lenses come. . So I don't understand what point you are trying to make. . Do you really believe that Canon will release more EF lenses before they release a pro-level full frame mirrorless body?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,576 posts
Joined May 2002

Nov 09, 2018 13:01 as a reply to  @ mcoren's post |  #25

You have to a bit more careful with talking about that, the M50, for example, is an APS-C. So APS-C and M series aren't mutually exclusive. I know you meant the xxD or Rebel line vs the M line though.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,576 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 4 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Nov 09, 2018 13:03 |  #26

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18747343 (external link)

But Mike's point is that the Canon 1Dx2 mirrorless equivalent will come before any more DLSRs and EF lenses come. . So I don't understand what point you are trying to make. . Do you really believe that Canon will release more EF lenses before they release a pro-level full frame mirrorless body?

I don't believe that. Mike misinterpreted the video as was pointed out. We have other interviews as well. The next mirrorless to come out is the one below the EOS-R from what Canon stated in a different interview. We have nothing to contrary that says a high end EOS R is coming out imminently.

And yes, i think we will see non-RF lenses in the next year, they just released 2 new EF lenses as it is. But it matters little if they don't in 2019, they will again in the next few years for sure. It ISN'T the end for EF/EFS/EFM lenses...

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,168 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 09, 2018 13:11 |  #27

I'm not sure what the big deal is really. The representative clearly indicates that there is an EF roadmap for the future but the most interesting thing was the comment about the adapter not really playing that big of a role in adapting EF because the EF support is actually built into the EOS R and not the adapter. That's an extremely strong commitment toward continued EF support. I'm very pleased to see Canon offering a solution like this.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,887 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 09, 2018 13:13 |  #28

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18747348 (external link)
I don't believe that. The next one to come out is the one below the EOS-R from what Canon stated in an interview. We have nothing to contrary that says a high end EOS R is coming out imminently. And yes, i think we will see non-RF lenses in the next year, they just released 2 new EF lenses as it is. But it matters little if they don't in 2019, they will again in the next few years for sure.

So, do you think that Canon was lying in the video when they said this?

umphotography wrote in post #18746567 (external link)
"We are behind and will concentrate on RF lens only for the foreseeable future" No new EF lens for 2019 or improvements.

Or, do you think that Mike was just mis-quoting them, or merely offering his opinion, but presenting it as if it were fact?
I am a bit confused at the way Mike wrote and titled his post. . It reads as if it is an official announcement by Canon that they will not release any EF lenses in 2019. . But yet when I pay close attention to Mike's grammar and punctuation, it appears that maybe it is just his opinion or prediction.

I kinda wish that Mike would have been more clear on this "No new EF lens for 2019" statement, and told us in a forthright manner if it was indeed a Canon spokesperson saying this, or if it's just what he thinks.

It is extremely important to be completely forthcoming when making such statements, and to write a few extra sentences to clarify just who is saying it and whether it is an official statement or not .... yet it doesn't seem as if all of this additional necessary commentary was provided in his original post .... which leaves the origin of the statement somewhat nebulous.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,576 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 4 months ago by TeamSpeed. (7 edits in all)

Nov 09, 2018 13:18 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #29

It feels like Mike is drawing conclusions where there aren't any.

" We are behind and will concentrate on RF lens only for the foreseeable future" No new EF lens for 2019 or improvements

is not equal to the sentiment of that Canon is stopping development of the EF

Man if this doesnt convince you that the DSLR is going to way of the dinosaur nothing else will-

The first is a close approximation of the video, the 2nd seems to be an invalid interpretation of those comments, especially given other interview material from Canon. The comment also was made, "we will get back to that", "we realized we are behind here", and "this is our priority right now to get the system going"...

If Tom Reichner stated "I am not doing photography in 2019", and Mike repeated that somewhere, then stated "Tom is getting out of photography", would the be a valid interpretation or not? ;)

The other parts of my post earlier is what I expect to see from Canon. I provided a likely roadmap for where this could head, with a 5 year window of DSLRs and lenses, but after that, things most likely will rapidly gravitate toward mirrorless across the board, all manufacturers. I guess Mike could mean the same thing, but it sounded more imminent than I personally think it is, again based on what Canon stated.

Just like the others stated, it matters little. The DSLRS, old and new, are just as good with great glass available, and having two kinds of choices is a wonderful place to be at.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,317 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 4 months ago by Left Handed Brisket. (2 edits in all)

Nov 09, 2018 13:19 |  #30

Video in OP.

18:30 mark

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links

11,277 views & 131 likes for this thread
No new releases for EF lens for 2019- per Canon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.