Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Nov 2018 (Thursday) 10:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

No new releases for EF lens for 2019- per Canon

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,168 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 4 months ago by nqjudo.

Nov 09, 2018 13:25 |  #31

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18747357 (external link)
So, do you think that Canon was lying in the video when they said this?

Or, do you think that Mike was just mis-quoting them, or merely offering his opinion, but presenting it as if it were fact?
I am a bit confused at the way Mike wrote and titled his post. . It reads as if it is an official announcement by Canon that they will not release any EF lenses in 2019. . But yet when I pay close attention to Mike's grammar and punctuation, it appears that maybe it is just his opinion or prediction.

I kinda wish that Mike would have been more clear on this "No new EF lens for 2019" statement, and told us in a forthright manner if it was indeed a Canon spokesperson saying this, or if it's just what he thinks.

It is extremely important to be completely forthcoming when making such statements, and to write a few extra sentences to clarify just who is saying it and whether it is an official statement or not .... yet it doesn't seem as if all of this additional necessary commentary was provided in his original post .... which leaves the origin of the statement somewhat nebulous.

I think it is easy (and possibly unwise) to draw many conclusions from that video but keep in mind that even the Canon rep being interviewed doesn't have a crystal ball. At the end of the day Canon has to make money and appease shareholders. With 135+ million EF lenses out there and an untold number of users using EF mount bodies rest assured that Canon has to wade these waters very, very carefully and I think what we are seeing is them doing a good job of it so far.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,581 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 4 months ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Nov 09, 2018 13:28 |  #32

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18747363 (external link)
Video in OP.

18:30 mark

Yes, that was all called out in the original post, never was it alluded to in this video that EF and DSLRs are dead...

In fact the opposite was stated and the reason for RF in 2019 was also given at that point in the video:

"we are taking a break from ef lenses"
"we will get back to that"
"we realized we are behind here"
"this is our priority right now to get the system going"...

Like any business, they have to put their capital projects forward before the next fiscal year, and right now, a big priority of theirs is to jumpstart the mirrorless initiative, since they are behind right now.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,168 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 09, 2018 13:33 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #33

Yes. I think it is important to watch the whole video. Watching a snippet doesn't provide full context as to what he is saying about EF on a larger scale.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,322 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 4 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Nov 09, 2018 13:36 |  #34

nqjudo wrote in post #18747382 (external link)
Yes. I think it is important to watch the whole video.

This is what i was vaguely suggesting.

"Don't beleive half of what you see and none of what you hear."

- Lou Reed

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,168 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 09, 2018 13:37 |  #35

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18747386 (external link)
This is what i was vaguely suggesting.

"Don't beleive half of what you see and none of what you hear."

- Lou Reed

I got you. If I could give you a double like for the Lou Reed reference I would! ;)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,581 posts
Joined May 2002

Nov 09, 2018 14:01 |  #36

nqjudo wrote in post #18747387 (external link)
I got you. If I could give you a double like for the Lou Reed reference I would! ;)

I gave him my like for you (and from me as well) :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,322 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 09, 2018 14:25 |  #37

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,168 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 09, 2018 14:42 |  #38

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18747403 (external link)
I gave him my like for you (and from me as well) :)

LOL!!!

mcoren
624 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Nov 09, 2018 14:47 |  #39

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18747345 (external link)
You have to a bit more careful with talking about that, the M50, for example, is an APS-C. So APS-C and M series aren't mutually exclusive. I know you meant the xxD or Rebel line vs the M line though.

I'm not sure specifically what this reply refers to, but I apologize if my wording was confusing. I was trying to say that, perhaps in the future, APS-C variants of the EOS R (that is to say, RF mount bodies with APS-C sensors) will become the mirrorless replacements for the high end of the current APS-C DSLR lineup, i.e. the xxD and 7D Mark __, while the EOS M (M mount bodies with APS-C sensors) will become the mirrorless replacements for the entry level of the current APS-C DSLR lineup, i.e. the Rebels.

My reference to the EOS M50 was to illustrate that in early 2018, at the same time that Canon was planning a big launch for the EOS R and RF lenses later in the year, they released a new EOS M body at the top of that series, the M50, and a new high quality lens for the M series as well. I feel this is significant because the EOS R and RF lenses are obviously Canon's direction for the future, and they need to be successful in the market, but at the same time, the M50 and EF-M 32mm f/1.4 show that Canon is still investing in the M series as a serious tool.

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,581 posts
Joined May 2002

Nov 09, 2018 15:01 as a reply to  @ mcoren's post |  #40

Ah okay, I just read APS-C and M series, and I took it to mean something else considering the M series is APS-C. Thanks for the clarification, completely agree!

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,005 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005
Post edited 4 months ago by ed rader.

Nov 09, 2018 16:58 |  #41

nqjudo wrote in post #18747356 (external link)
I'm not sure what the big deal is really. The representative clearly indicates that there is an EF roadmap for the future but the most interesting thing was the comment about the adapter not really playing that big of a role in adapting EF because the EF support is actually built into the EOS R and not the adapter. That's an extremely strong commitment toward continued EF support. I'm very pleased to see Canon offering a solution like this.

if the EF support were built into the adapter wouldn't it be harder to pull the plug on EF?

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

ed ­ rader
23,005 posts
Joined May 2005

Nov 09, 2018 17:09 |  #42

nqjudo wrote in post #18747368 (external link)
I think it is easy (and possibly unwise) to draw many conclusions from that video but keep in mind that even the Canon rep being interviewed doesn't have a crystal ball. At the end of the day Canon has to make money and appease shareholders. With 135+ million EF lenses out there and an untold number of users using EF mount bodies rest assured that Canon has to wade these waters very, very carefully and I think what we are seeing is them doing a good job of it so far.

I agree. I also think Canon was wise to get the ball rolling with the mid-priced EOS R and killer lenses that show where this is all headed. I think once they start dropping more R lenses and some pro bodies Canon Mirrorless will sell itself.

5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

ed ­ rader
23,005 posts
Joined May 2005

Nov 09, 2018 17:12 |  #43

here's my prediction: all future "L" lenses will be "R" lenses. not sure what's going to happen with crop, and really wouldn't even care if I didn't need a back-up body.

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,168 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 4 months ago by nqjudo.

Nov 09, 2018 17:48 |  #44

ed rader wrote in post #18747549 (external link)
if the EF support were built into the adapter wouldn't it be harder to pull the plug on EF?

The existing adapters would still be around and it would probably be easy for a 3rd party to reverse engineer them which may be one of the reasons Canon put it in the body. Since it's already engineered into the body there's no removing it and realistically speaking I can't see why they would discontinue support from future releases given the effort to provide an absolutely perfect and seamless feature. I don't think people are giving Canon enough credit for this. There's never been such good support for a legacy mount when a new mount is released (as far as I know). At the risk of sounding like a fanboy I think Canon really did something right here.

ed ­ rader
23,005 posts
Joined May 2005

Nov 09, 2018 18:07 as a reply to  @ nqjudo's post |  #45

I think canon will support EF lenses for a few years but once they no longer service them they'll pull the plug. and I also think you'll wake up one morning and find adobe has doubled the price of its subscription. by the time either happens what are your options?

sponsored links

11,284 views & 131 likes for this thread
No new releases for EF lens for 2019- per Canon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.