Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
Thread started 22 Oct 2018 (Monday) 09:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Z7 Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos

EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
1,124 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Oct 22, 2018 09:14 |  #1

I picked up a Z7 this weekend and am excited to see what others are doing with theirs. I have only one day of shooting with it, but I am very excited about it's capabilities. The images are ridiculously sharp - far better than my ability to process them. Perhaps I should try RAW + JPG until can do it justice with my processing.

I'm still acclimating to the focus modes (specifically with regard to tracking), but my "Day 1" experience was quite positive.

Shots per battery ratio was far better than per-release rumors. Despite being the first time out, fiddling with menus & setting, chimping, etc., I still got over 1600 shots with 11% charge in the bank. That's serviceable, at least for me.

This shot was with the 300 F4 PF lens. It works beautifully with the FTZ lens adapter.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

sponsored links
EyeSpyEagle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,124 posts
Joined Sep 2014
Post edited 3 months ago by EyeSpyEagle.

Oct 22, 2018 20:34 |  #2

I didn't have much cooperation or participation by many birds in flight yesterday.

Here are a couple I did manage. Nothing earth shattering, but just to show the Z7 works well with an adapted 200-500.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

DTBaan
"male gigolo"
13,952 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 26, 2018 13:17 |  #3

focus looks good. image is coming out sharp.

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,669 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 26, 2018 15:40 |  #4

Nice! That battery rate looks good. I've had days where I couldn't get much more than that out of my D4 battery

Gear List

EyeSpyEagle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,124 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Nov 04, 2018 20:57 |  #5

I am sad to report that I decided to return the Z7 and replace it with a D850.

The thing that sold me on moving from Canon to Nikon was the killer AF acquisition, lock, & retention of D500. I had originally planned on the getting myself a D500 & D850. When I was at the counter gathering my new gear, they slid the Z7 in front of me and I began to consider it. I asked about the focus engine & things like Group AF mode and the ability of the Z series to quickly lock & hold focus on wildlife. Being such a new camera, they did not know all the ins & outs of the Z7 and assured me it would be "at least as good" as the D500.

Fast forward a couple trips to various parks & refuges, and I had somewhat of a different experience than expected.

I have to say that there are many things about the Z7 that I REALLY like (EVF, Histogram in the EVF, instant image review in the EVF w/o ever pulling your eye away, "real time" visual reference to exposure changes, and UBER SHARP images of static and/or slow moving objects).

For me, the issue has to do with with the very thing I asked about initially - the AF system as it would apply to a wildlife photographer. It does not have the AF modes I expected and is not quite on the same level as D500, D850, D5 in that regard. Additionally, the buffer fills too fast so something as simple as trying to follow a bird launching from a perch can be an issue.

For me, at this point, the D850 is a better option.

There is certainly a greater than zero chance I could get one again, only for different reasons with different expectations.

I pass the torch on this thread to whomever would like to carry it on.

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,669 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 05, 2018 06:54 |  #6

Thanks for the feedback. A shame it isn't able to perform for a wildlife photographer as well as it could have been designed to be.

Gear List

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,009 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 09, 2018 16:10 |  #7

I wonder how many other photographers (especially ones who pre ordered this camera sight unseen) would be this honest in the appraisal of the camera's capabilities...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

ericbowles
21 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2017

Nov 10, 2018 06:38 |  #8

The AF system of the Z7/Z6 is very different from the D850 and D500. You should not expect the same modes and similarly named modes will operate differently.

For action like BIF, you should be using Wide AF with a medium group of sensors. Wide AF provides closest subject priority, and lets the group operate largely as a single sensor. It's not the same as Dynamic or 3D, but probably more suitable for BIF.

Eric Bowles
Director - Nikonians Academy
Workshops and Private Instruction
www.bowlesimages.com (external link)

WilkoKetelaar
25 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2018

Nov 18, 2018 03:57 |  #9

Today finale had the time to put my Z7 to the test in national park Veluwezoom, This is a 5 shot Focus shift composition to be sure i have full Sharpness front to back, Before i was using a D810 and a D750. For my kind of shooting the Z7 is a magnificent tool.....

HOSTED PHOTO

WilkoKetelaar
25 posts
Joined Oct 2018

Nov 21, 2018 11:38 |  #10

The windmill in the town of Laag Keppel a long exposure of 30 seconds!

HOSTED PHOTO

EyeSpyEagle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,124 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Nov 21, 2018 11:47 |  #11

Beautiful shots Wilko.

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

WilkoKetelaar
25 posts
Joined Oct 2018

Nov 21, 2018 13:44 as a reply to  @ EyeSpyEagle's post |  #12

Thank you very much Phil!

WilkoKetelaar
25 posts
Joined Oct 2018

Nov 27, 2018 09:47 |  #13

Im still very happy with my Z7, i mostly take nature/landscape and macro shots the Z7 is a very powerfull piece of equipement for my kind of photography.

HOSTED PHOTO

EyeSpyEagle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,124 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Nov 27, 2018 15:32 |  #14

That's an interesting photo Wilko. I like it!

I will probably end up with a Z7 again, once the pain of a complete gear swap settles. Lol!

Keep posting your work. Folks are watching. :)

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

WilkoKetelaar
25 posts
Joined Oct 2018

Dec 26, 2018 04:16 |  #15

Sunset, most of the December days are wet, dark,cloudy,foggy in The Netherlands so whenever there is Some sunshine its time to take a Sunset shot.....

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

1,521 views & 43 likes for this thread
Z7 Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.