Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Nov 2018 (Thursday) 10:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

No new releases for EF lens for 2019- per Canon

Tapeman
Sliced Bread
3,721 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Nov 09, 2018 18:20 |  #46

At some point you will have to decide whether the improvements out weigh changing systems and whether you want to spend the dough for minor improvements in image quality.

Canon G1X II, 1D MKIV, 5DSR, 5DIV, 5D MKII, 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, IS, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS II, 500/4 L IS II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/2.5 macro, 1.4x MKII, 1.4X MKIII, 2X MKIII,580EX II, 550EXs(2), ST-E2.
Gitzo 1228, 1275, 1558, Lensbaby 3G. Epson 3880, Bags that match my shoes.:)

sponsored links
nqjudo
Goldmember
3,162 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 09, 2018 18:23 |  #47

ed rader wrote in post #18747603 (external link)
I think canon will support EF lenses for a few years but once they no longer service them they'll pull the plug. and I also think you'll wake up one morning and find adobe has doubled the price of its subscription. by the time either happens what are your options?

To shadow one of my earlier comments no one has a crystal ball so there are many possibilities. Yeah, Canon will likely stop making EF lenses one day and discontinue support but I think they'll continue the support cycle we are seeing at present with regards to repair, etc. There is a tipping point where it becomes too costly to continue support for older products so it is pulled. We see this everywhere and it is never easy but it appears that Canon is acting in good faith.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

drifter106
519 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2006
Post edited 3 months ago by drifter106.

Nov 09, 2018 19:21 |  #48

to the OP who started this thread...I hope you look at this post 10 years from now and come up with the same theory as you are trying to indoctrinate others with. Do you really think that Canon, who have an enormous following of people who use their cameras, EF and EFS lens are going to let those lens and camera's go by the wayside (and the people that use them). Do you think everyone is going to drop what they are using and go mirrorless. I don't think so....you need to think OUTSIDE the box.

How many people do you think even know about the introduction of Canon's mirrorless camera. I would venture to say there are quite a few MORE people than there are of people that own the new Canon mirrorless.

Gear
Remember, what is common knowledge to some is a revelation to others.

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
22,994 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by ed rader.

Nov 09, 2018 19:48 |  #49

drifter106 wrote in post #18747637 (external link)
to the OP who started this thread...I hope you look at this post 10 years from now and come up with the same theory as you are trying to indoctrinate others with. Do you really think that Canon, who have an enormous following of people who use their cameras, EF and EFS lens are going to let those lens and camera's go by the wayside (and the people that use them). Do you think everyone is going to drop what they are using and go mirrorless. I don't think so....you need to think OUTSIDE the box.

How many people do you think even know about the introduction of Canon's mirrorless camera. I would venture to say there are quite a few MORE people than there are of people that own the new Canon mirrorless.

I suggest you go back and look at the history of the EF mount. specifically about what happened to the FD mount. ten years ago I was using the original 5d and then I got the 1d mark III and I thought "it'll never get any better than this"

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

ed ­ rader
22,994 posts
Joined May 2005

Nov 09, 2018 19:51 |  #50

nqjudo wrote in post #18747609 (external link)
To shadow one of my earlier comments no one has a crystal ball so there are many possibilities. Yeah, Canon will likely stop making EF lenses one day and discontinue support but I think they'll continue the support cycle we are seeing at present with regards to repair, etc. There is a tipping point where it becomes too costly to continue support for older products so it is pulled. We see this everywhere and it is never easy but it appears that Canon is acting in good faith.

sure they are acting in good faith and they will continue to do so as long as it makes them money.

5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,162 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 09, 2018 19:59 |  #51

ed rader wrote in post #18747653 (external link)
I suggest you go back and look at the history of the EF mount. specifically about what happened to the FD mount. ten years ago I was using the original 5d and then I got the 1d mark III and I thought "it'll never get any better than this"

Surely you're not suggesting that the story of FD and EF is comparable to that of EF and RF. They are apples and oranges. There was no possibility to support FD when EF was introduced because FD was not all electronic and didn't even have the ability to autofocus. The proof that history is not repeating itself is clearly evident by the fact the R supports dual mounts.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

ed ­ rader
22,994 posts
Joined May 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by ed rader. (2 edits in all)

Nov 09, 2018 20:32 as a reply to  @ nqjudo's post |  #52

I think it's very similar, or at least the outcome will be. and the great thing is you will be able to use your EF lenses on RF bodies for a few years until canon service quits supporting EF. the same was true for FD lenses but of course not on EOS cameras. when canon introduced the EOS SLRs and EF lenses in 1987 they committed to a five-year overlap between the two systems while they developed EOS bodies and lenses. I believe canon may have even made a couple more FD lenses.

anyhow EOS was a huge success and the rest is history.

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,459 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 09, 2018 21:02 |  #53

The question before his statement was about 2019 EF lens releases

and his remarks were they are taking a break for EF lens for 2019 and concentrating on R lens releases

I dont know. When I went to school 1+1=2

Does not seem all that complicated to figure out

Tell ya what. Keep me posted with all the new released EF lens for the next 2 yrs. My PM Box will be empty

As soon as this new body is announced and its on par with 5D4 specs and FPS, people will stop buying DSLR's.

IF they release a 1Dx2 mirrorless equivalent then DSLR's will be dead on arrival

Do you really think canon will introduce new EF lens after an A9 mirrorless equivalent is released from Canon. I mean seriously, let the smart side of your brain handle that question

Taking a break for an entire year tells me EF lens have seen their hey day

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 09, 2018 21:02 as a reply to  @ ed rader's post |  #54

EF lenses won't spontaneously stop working once Canon does cease support with the last lens (and offering support happens several years after production of a model). While Canon did produce a FD to EF adapter for a short time, they required optics and a very limited number made (and it changed focal length to 1.1 and reduced sharpness). The EOS system made the manual FD lens obsolete. The only FD lens made after the introduction of the EOS was a rare 200mm f/1.8. Canon said they would honor continued production of the FD (especially when they said they'd produce the F-1N for 10 years). They didn't have statements like still having "roadmaps to new FD models" when the EOS system was introduced. The RF system is different in which it doesn't make EF lenses obsolete: you just need an adapter for flange distance and it adds more electric contacts. This is also better marketing as Canon doesn't have to alienate customers with a mount that's directly incompatible with the previous.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,459 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 09, 2018 21:07 |  #55

ed rader wrote in post #18747678 (external link)
I think it's very similar, or at least the outcome will be. and the great thing is you will be able to use your EF lenses on RF bodies for a few years until canon service quits supporting EF. the same was true for FD lenses but of course not on EOS cameras. when canon introduced the EOS SLRs and EF lenses in 1987 they committed to a five-year overlap between the two systems while they developed EOS bodies and lenses. I believe canon may have even made a couple more FD lenses.

anyhow EOS was a huge success and the rest is history.

Most of these guys have not been around long enough to remember that Ed

You can bet I wont be buying anymore EF lens or bodies

As soon as the pro body is announced the 5D4 is going to the classified section

Hand writing is all over the walls folks. A good doctor would tell you that its time to start getting your affairs in order

say Bye Bye. Game over. R mounts is the future for Canon:cry::cry::cry:

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,469 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 09, 2018 21:17 |  #56

davesrose wrote in post #18747703 (external link)
EF lenses won't spontaneously stop working once Canon does cease support with the last lens (and offering support happens several years after production of a model). While Canon did produce a FD to EF adapter for a short time, they required optics and a very limited number made (and it changed focal length to 1.1 and reduced sharpness). The EOS system made the manual FD lens obsolete. The only FD lens made after the introduction of the EOS was a rare 200mm f/1.8. Canon said they would honor continued production of the FD (especially when they said they'd produce the F-1N for 10 years). They didn't have statements like still having "roadmaps to new FD models" when the EOS system was introduced. The RF system is different in which it doesn't make EF lenses obsolete: you just need an adapter for flange distance and it adds more electric contacts. This is also better marketing as Canon doesn't have to alienate customers with a mount that's directly incompatible with the previous.

No camera company will tell you they are killing off a line, it just happens.

Nikon MF lenses died. Screw drive lenses met the same fate. So the deaths were prolonged a slight bit longer, but it happens.

Old lenses will continue to be useful, but support ends sooner rather than later, and will meet the same FD fate.

Sony A7rii/A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,392 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Nov 09, 2018 21:19 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #57

Sure there is an end coming, but it isn't 2019 as you proclaim. You are not stating anything prophetic. Things change and evolve, and even 5 years from now EF lenses will be alive and well, and still supported. Heck there won't be a full complement of mirrorless bodies for at least a year. I am quite sure too that after that point, nobody will even be talking about the original eos r, probably in about 14 months or so. You will be able to pick them up for half price on canon refurb site by then.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

davesrose
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 09, 2018 21:30 |  #58

Charlie wrote in post #18747715 (external link)
Nikon MF lenses died. Screw drive lenses met the same fate. So the deaths were prolonged a slight bit longer, but it happens.

Old lenses will continue to be useful, but support ends sooner rather than later, and will meet the same FD fate.

Nikon MF lenses died? That's news to me, as Nikon shooters proclaim how they didn't get the shaft like Canon shooters when they've had the same F mount since 1959.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,469 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 09, 2018 21:38 |  #59

davesrose wrote in post #18747728 (external link)
Nikon MF lenses died? That's news to me, as Nikon shooters proclaim how they didn't get the shaft like Canon shooters when they've had the same F mount since 1959.

Burying their heads doesn't mean it's true. Pretty sure you can buy a few AIS lenses new still, but if we're being serious, nobody is buying it.

I do own a few Nikon's but generally don't follow Nikon news, ever since their fiasco a few years back, I wrote them off. They make nice lenses

Sony A7rii/A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

davesrose
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by davesrose.

Nov 09, 2018 21:44 as a reply to  @ Charlie's post |  #60

The point is that you can mount an old Nikon MF lens to a new Nikon DSLR. In order to get metering, you need a chipped adapter....but it's still easily possible. The route Nikon took to go to AF was completely different from Canon. It's interesting to see their approaches: Canon ripped off the tape quickly so that Canon shooters could have complete AF with in lens motor. To this day, there's still confusion with Nikons over which bodies can support what older AF lenses.

EF lenses aren't also automatically dead out of the water with the introduction of the R system. As the OP video says, Canon's DSLRs have faster AF due to predictive focusing. There's going to be a period of transition.

Canon 5D mk IV
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links

11,055 views & 131 likes for this thread
No new releases for EF lens for 2019- per Canon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.