Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,453 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 09, 2018 20:10 |  #616

SereneSpeed wrote in post #18746714 (external link)
There is a massive difference between the 5D3 and 5D4/EOS R files. Period.

I have all three and shot a wedding last weekend with all three of them. The 5D4 and EOS R have nearly identical image quality and character. But the 5D3 is not close - as far as I'm concerned.

When I first got the 5D4, I didn't notice a huge difference in the files when compared to my 5D3's. But after using the 5D4 for a couple of months and getting used to processing the files, I began to cringe whenever I needed to use the 5D3.

Is the 5D3 a bad camera? No - It's fantastic! But to say there is not a noticeable improvement in IQ - especially without hands on experience - is 100% disconnected from reality.

The 5D3 has no concept of blacks and shadows. And you are forced to ETTR. I needed to relearn how to shoot when I got the 5D4.

The dynamic range is better from ISO 100 to 25600. Noticeably better. When I dump my files into Lr or C1 for editing, 99% of the time I can tell which camera I used by the SOOC image quality. Think about that.

In the 5D4, the colours are better, truer, and most important - malleable enough not to fall apart during processing. The whole editing experience is harder with the 5D4, because you have such a depth of image data that did not exist in the 5D3 images. You have options and expanded processing latitude.

Again, maybe the 5D4 isn't a necessary upgrade. But it is most certainly an upgrade.

Of course, this is all just my opinion. I shoot portraits, products, weddings, boudoir, and architecture professionally. But not wildlife.

Thank you Sir- From another 5D4 and 1Dx2 and 5D3 owners who shoots 25+ weddings with all 3 cameras every year. I put my 5D3 away when he receptions start. Its no where remotely close to the 5D4 in ISO performance and DR

And sorry Teamspeed.....There is 3 full stops on a 5D4 over a 5D3 especially when you factor highlight recovery and ability to push blacks and shadows with the normal exposure push. EASY 3 STOPS more DR

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,453 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 09, 2018 20:13 |  #617

mdvaden wrote in post #18746790 (external link)
You are correct ... it looks like he has not ascertained what you replied about - the EOS is to the contrary. I haven't shot the 5D mk iv in my hands, but I have shot the 5D mk iii, M5 and 5DS. The dynamic range and image quality of the EOS R is better enough to notice and not squint about it.

These are some test photos from yesterday and today. The road dust isn't even fully washed off yet. The lighting would be much more vibrant in winter, but for now, the EOS R proved every bit as good as my 5DS and a little more capable for dynamic range. I wouldn't even need better dynamic range for this scene, but I could tell the difference opening the file. It may be the first time I ever darkened shadows for my first adjustment.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by mdvaden in
./showthread.php?p=187​46790&i=i11978691
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=187​46790&i=i89824618

Where in the heck is the Love button. Oh Wait I found it :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

More portraits so we can see those skin tones

stop it. I may have to break my rules of no cameras w/o dual cards :p :p

These look great !!!!

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,453 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 09, 2018 20:28 |  #618

mdvaden wrote in post #18747023 (external link)
I like this EOS R & RF 50mm 1.2 every bit as much as my 5DS and Zeiss Milvus 85mm ... just a bit more compact and light weight.

From the redwoods, yesterday afternoon. So different from how I shoot there normally. I often aim for f/7.1 ... ISO 100 ... and shutter like 1/10 or 1/2 when it's in the heavy shade. With no tripod yesterday since it was mostly portraits, I went 1/200 with the ISO up over 1000
thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=187​47023&i=i100932183

:love::love::love::love::love::love: WOWZERS :love::love::love::love::love::love:

Did I read that right. Hand held at 1/10 ?

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,453 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by umphotography.

Nov 09, 2018 20:34 |  #619

nardes wrote in post #18747529 (external link)
Using the same combination as above for the A380, this Pigeon was some 5 or 6 metres away on my neighbours roof top.:-)

EOS R / EF-RF Adapter / Extender x1.4 III / Extender x2.0 II / Canon EF 400mm F5.6 L USM. Effective fl of 1120mm at F16 with no problems auto focusing.

Cheers

Dennis

NOTE: The Canon 400mm F5.6L has no IS and my hand holding skills are perhaps average.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by nardes in
./showthread.php?p=187​47529&i=i220171557

well that answers a lot of questions. Thank you for posting this. The AF was OK. Did it slow down at all ??

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

nardes
Goldmember
1,489 posts
Gallery: 266 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 09, 2018 20:42 |  #620

umphotography wrote in post #18747679 (external link)
well that answers a lot of questions. Thank you for posting this. The AF was OK. Did it slow down at all ??

With "AF SERVO" and "Low Speed Continuous" I didn't notice any issues with the AF accuracy or performance for the A380 or the Pigeon.:-)

The A380 was in straight and level flight against blue skies, so I guess that isn't a huge challenge for the AF.

I was astonished at the fine detail resolved in the Pigeon's feathers as I was hand holding with no IS.:-D

Noise performance at ISO1600 was also unexpectedly good.

Cheers

Dennis

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,453 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 09, 2018 20:48 |  #621

nardes wrote in post #18747686 (external link)
With "AF SERVO" and "Low Speed Continuous" I didn't notice any issues with the AF accuracy or performance for the A380 or the Pigeon.:-)

The A380 was in straight and level flight against blue skies, so I guess that isn't a huge challenge for the AF.

I was astonished at the fine detail resolved in the Pigeon's feathers as I was hand holding with no IS.:-D

Noise performance at ISO1600 was also unexpectedly good.

Cheers

Dennis

That indeed is impressive

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,278 posts
Gallery: 155 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 09, 2018 21:14 |  #622

Pondrader wrote in post #18747168 (external link)
Maybe I read something into it that wasn't there.. forums are funny like that sometimes..

Choderboy wrote in post #18747171 (external link)
Biggest compliment I have ever given anyone on POTN. Certainly the most words.

Aw3 jeez, you guys are getting along again!

Seriously, I read Dave's post as being along the same lines as when I used to say Jeff left the house naked covered in honey to get those shots...

ie: DEADLY SERIOUS! ;) :)  :p:-D:oops:

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,278 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 3 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

Nov 09, 2018 21:20 |  #623

I have no idea how many stops of DR or ISO noise perfection I get when I go from one to another,. I don't measure it, and I don't read the sites that do.

What I do know is that I shot the 5D3 for years, and it was my favorite when I had it, but it wasn't until I got the 5D4 that I went "Dayaaaam!" and stopped worrying about;
- what ISO I set the camera to,
- stopped worrying about exposing to the right,
- and stopped insisting on 100% raw (yes I said it, I now shoot jpeg often)

Again., no idea what the numbers are, but I can tell you an imag out of the 5D4 (dare I say even a good jpeg?) will beat the pants off the noise color and detail of the best worked 5D3 raw images I ever mustered in the years I shot it.

5D3 looked a lot like a 1D4, just a tad better, which looked a lot like a 1D3,. but 5D4 was a huge leap.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
15,718 posts
Gallery: 2422 photos
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 3 months ago by Pondrader.

Nov 09, 2018 21:24 |  #624

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18747712 (external link)
Aw3 jeez, you guys are getting along again!

Seriously, I read Dave's post as being along the same lines as when I used to say Jeff left the house naked covered in honey to get those shots...

ie: DEADLY SERIOUS! ;) :)  :p:-D:oops:

lol winters are long and cold here in the great white north.... it can make a man crazy and its only just begun lol  :p:-D;-)a

And NO I don't run through the bush covered in honey snapping wildly at the little creatures lol :p:-D

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,278 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 09, 2018 21:24 |  #625

nardes wrote in post #18747529 (external link)
Using the same combination as above for the A380, this Pigeon was some 5 or 6 metres away on my neighbours roof top.:-)

EOS R / EF-RF Adapter / Extender x1.4 III / Extender x2.0 II / Canon EF 400mm F5.6 L USM. Effective fl of 1120mm at F16 with no problems auto focusing.

Cheers

Dennis

NOTE: The Canon 400mm F5.6L has no IS and my hand holding skills are perhaps average.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by nardes in
./showthread.php?p=187​47529&i=i220171557

jeezus,.. that's eye opening. Wow.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 09, 2018 21:26 |  #626

umphotography wrote in post #18747670 (external link)
More portraits so we can see those skin tones

... SNIP

Not sure if this helps a lot for skin tones, but here's one more full and cropped. I only adjusted temp / tint in lightroom, with no change to saturation or brightness of colors. Went with light hand on highlight shadow tweaks.

RF 50mm 1.2 shot @ f/1.2

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
15,718 posts
Gallery: 2422 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 09, 2018 21:30 |  #627

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18747719 (external link)
I have no idea how many stops of DR or ISO noise perfection I get when I go from one to another,. I don't measure it, and I don't read the sites that do.

What I do know is that I shot the 5D3 for years, and it was my favorite when I had it, but it wasn't until I got the 5D4 that I went "Dayaaaam!" and stopped worrying about;

Again., no idea what the numbers are, but I can tell you an imag out of the 5D4 (dare I say even a good jpeg?) will beat the pants off the noise color and detail of the best worked 5D3 raw images I ever mustered in the years I shot it.

5D3 looked a lot like a 1D4, just a tad better, which looked a lot like a 1D3,. but 5D4 was a huge leap.

I had the same DAYAAAAM last week... I may not ever be the same again.

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

basketballfreak6
Goldmember
1,393 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 09, 2018 21:51 |  #628

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18747719 (external link)

I think the differences really show once you start editing the raw files from the 2 cameras, the 5D4 raws are just that much easier to work with

Apart from DR and all that one thing I really preferred about 5D4 is the colour, I find the colour more neutral/flat (therefore easier to work with) and auto WB much better handled, whereas 5D3 in some situations it can get too yellow, especially in weird/tricky lighting the white priority auto WB is an absolute godsend in the 5D4

https://www.instagram.​com/tony.liu.photograp​hy/ (external link)
flickr (external link)
https://500px.com/tony​_liu_photography (external link)
5DIV, 5DIII, modified 760D, 16-35L f/4 IS, 24-70L II f/2.8, 70-200L IS II f/2.8, S150-600 f/5-6.3 SPORT, S14 f/1.8 ART, S50 f/1.4 ART, S135 f/1.8 ART, 100L IS Macro f/2.8

phphoto
23 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Nov 09, 2018 23:27 |  #629

I think 5d3 is still great camera. I had planned to upgrade it to 5d4 "some day", but after used M50, I'd like to have also mirrorless FF. Unfortunately R is not there yet, mainly because of slow fps for sports. Now you guys make me want 5d4 again...  :p

nardes
Goldmember
1,489 posts
Gallery: 266 photos
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by nardes.

Nov 10, 2018 00:55 |  #630

Carrying on from the earlier crazy EOS R set up with:

EOS R / EF-RF Adapter / Extender x1.4 III / Extender x2.0 II / Canon EF 400mm F5.6 L USM.

This time I was tripod mounted with the bird close to the min focus of the 400mm F5.6L which is around 3 metres.

This gives an Effective fl of 1120mm at F16 with no problems auto focusing. The attached files are 1200x900 full res crops from the image file.

#1 = Raw SOC
#2 = Processed

Exposed at 1/800sec, ISO1600, F16 tripod mounted, no IS (400mm F5.6L does not have IS).

Cheers

Dennis

EDIT: #2 Updated: CA removed in catchlight in eye #2 via ACR in PS CC.:-)

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

196,074 views & 5,985 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.