Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Nov 2018 (Thursday) 10:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

No new releases for EF lens for 2019- per Canon

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,336 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Nov 09, 2018 21:56 |  #61

It is going to take Canon 5 years just to create a robust RF lens collection and mirrorless that can match the competition. At this point, Canon is still behind a couple of generations and needs to concentrate their efforts 2019 on lenses, and 2020 on cameras.

So once again, there will be some DSLRs and perhaps a few lenses across the EF/EFS/EFM landscape in this time. Canon said as much in various interviews, unless some here want to call them liars?

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

sponsored links
nqjudo
Goldmember
3,162 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by nqjudo.

Nov 09, 2018 22:01 |  #62

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18747739 (external link)
It is going to take Canon 5 years just to create a robust RF lens collection and mirrorless that can match the competition. At this point, Canon is still behind a couple of generations and needs to concentrate their efforts 2019 on lenses, and 2020 on cameras.

So once again, there will be some DSLRs and perhaps a few lenses across the EF/EFS/EFM landscape in this time. Canon said as much in various interviews, unless some here want to call them liars?

LOL. This is the Internet. Careful with those requests. They'll be coming out of the woodwork. ;)

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,465 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 09, 2018 22:26 |  #63

It only takes 10 lenses and people will switch in droves.

Laowa had recognized this and will be making Z and R lenses soon, porting over E-mount lenses.

I'm guessing Canon would like to jump on the opportunity before third party does, so expect 6+ lenses next year.

Sony A7rii/A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
22,991 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by ed rader.

Nov 10, 2018 00:05 |  #64

davesrose wrote in post #18747703 (external link)
EF lenses won't spontaneously stop working once Canon does cease support with the last lens (and offering support happens several years after production of a model). While Canon did produce a FD to EF adapter for a short time, they required optics and a very limited number made (and it changed focal length to 1.1 and reduced sharpness). The EOS system made the manual FD lens obsolete. The only FD lens made after the introduction of the EOS was a rare 200mm f/1.8. Canon said they would honor continued production of the FD (especially when they said they'd produce the F-1N for 10 years). They didn't have statements like still having "roadmaps to new FD models" when the EOS system was introduced. The RF system is different in which it doesn't make EF lenses obsolete: you just need an adapter for flange distance and it adds more electric contacts. This is also better marketing as Canon doesn't have to alienate customers with a mount that's directly incompatible with the previous.

that's what I said except I believe at some point ef protocol will be dropped from mirrorless bodies. canon is in business to make money. they want you to buy RF lenses. at some point you're gonna have to defy your inner cheapskate and take the wallet off the hip and join the future or continue on with older equipment.

btw, canon isn't offering a roadmap now.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

ed ­ rader
22,991 posts
Joined May 2005

Nov 10, 2018 00:08 |  #65

umphotography wrote in post #18747705 (external link)
Most of these guys have not been around long enough to remember that Ed

You can bet I wont be buying anymore EF lens or bodies

As soon as the pro body is announced the 5D4 is going to the classified section

Hand writing is all over the walls folks. A good doctor would tell you that its time to start getting your affairs in order

say Bye Bye. Game over. R mounts is the future for Canon:cry::cry::cry:

yep, i'll be rotating out of my EF lenses while they are still worth something -- as soon as RF replacements hit the market.

5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

ed ­ rader
22,991 posts
Joined May 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by ed rader.

Nov 10, 2018 00:10 |  #66

please keep telling people that until I can sell all my EF lenses :lol:

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,336 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed. (5 edits in all)

Nov 10, 2018 01:26 |  #67

I will save all that money and do other things with it... :) Today's glass gets the job done for many of us and we don't have to spend 2-3x on new lenses for marginal returns. It will also be some time before Canon offers a mirrorless that is consistently delivering the paid goods for sports (and other venues). We have a few years for you to sell off all those lenses, take your time. :D We all know how long it takes Canon to do anything, they are not an agile company in any sense of the word.

It will be interesting to see the rate of third party lens introduction.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Sports-Events/Mad-Ants-Current-Season/Nov-9-2018/i-R8dPjKj/0/9280ec77/X3/FX8A2982-X3.jpg

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Sports-Events/Mad-Ants-Current-Season/Nov-9-2018/i-nx8tWGw/0/ce8ee442/X3/FX8A2882a-X3.jpg

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Sports-Events/Mad-Ants-Current-Season/Nov-9-2018/i-dsRmNjX/0/cdfd36cd/X3/FX8A2905a-X3.jpg

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,485 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 10, 2018 03:14 |  #68

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18747357 (external link)
So, do you think that Canon was lying in the video when they said this?

Or, do you think that Mike was just mis-quoting them, or merely offering his opinion, but presenting it as if it were fact?
I am a bit confused at the way Mike wrote and titled his post. . It reads as if it is an official announcement by Canon that they will not release any EF lenses in 2019. . But yet when I pay close attention to Mike's grammar and punctuation, it appears that maybe it is just his opinion or prediction.

I kinda wish that Mike would have been more clear on this "No new EF lens for 2019" statement, and told us in a forthright manner if it was indeed a Canon spokesperson saying this, or if it's just what he thinks.

It is extremely important to be completely forthcoming when making such statements, and to write a few extra sentences to clarify just who is saying it and whether it is an official statement or not .... yet it doesn't seem as if all of this additional necessary commentary was provided in his original post .... which leaves the origin of the statement somewhat nebulous.

It is the internet. People say whatever they like. On these forums if it's not political, religious or particularly offensive, anything goes.
There were thousands of words written on POTN regarding what features the 1DS4 would have.
Nikon said that they would never make a full frame DSLR.
If someone has no track record of reliably predicting what manufacturers will or won't do, why pay any attention?

Dave
Image editing OK

drifter106
519 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2006
Post edited 3 months ago by drifter106. (2 edits in all)

Nov 10, 2018 04:26 |  #69

ed rader wrote in post #18747653 (external link)
I suggest you go back and look at the history of the EF mount. specifically about what happened to the FD mount. ten years ago I was using the original 5d and then I got the 1d mark III and I thought "it'll never get any better than this"

Went thru those lens with my AE-1....still have some of those lens with the camera. Believe you are comparing apples to oranges.

Gear
Remember, what is common knowledge to some is a revelation to others.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,250 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 10, 2018 06:30 |  #70

umphotography wrote in post #18747701 (external link)
The question before his statement was about 2019 EF lens releases

and his remarks were they are taking a break for EF lens for 2019 and concentrating on R lens releases

I dont know. When I went to school 1+1=2

Does not seem all that complicated to figure out

Tell ya what. Keep me posted with all the new released EF lens for the next 2 yrs. My PM Box will be empty

As soon as this new body is announced and its on par with 5D4 specs and FPS, people will stop buying DSLR's.

IF they release a 1Dx2 mirrorless equivalent then DSLR's will be dead on arrival

Do you really think canon will introduce new EF lens after an A9 mirrorless equivalent is released from Canon. I mean seriously, let the smart side of your brain handle that question

Taking a break for an entire year tells me EF lens have seen their hey day

When do you think Canon will ship a R series that is equivalent or better in specs than the 5DIV?

What about the 1DxII?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,162 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by nqjudo. (2 edits in all)

Nov 10, 2018 06:53 |  #71

umphotography wrote in post #18747705 (external link)
Most of these guys have not been around long enough to remember that Ed

You can bet I wont be buying anymore EF lens or bodies

As soon as the pro body is announced the 5D4 is going to the classified section

Hand writing is all over the walls folks. A good doctor would tell you that its time to start getting your affairs in order

say Bye Bye. Game over. R mounts is the future for Canon:cry::cry::cry:

Well, Mike. I was. Old timers love to come down from mount perfect and make statements about things based on history and the arguments can be compelling because there are relatively few people around who might remember those times but things change. In those days it was standard practice for consumers to buy a body and stick with it forever. I shot the same FD mount body for 17 years. Who does that anymore? EF was introduced in 1987. FD was produced till ~ 1993 and Canon offered service and support for existing components long after. They didn't exactly cut people off at the knees. Expectations regarding upgrades and associated cycles were different then for obvious reasons. Assuming Canon doesn't make another EF component we still have good EF support for longer than most of the user base needs.

As for seeing a doctor, etc. let's not be too dramatic. When Nikon announced the D5 you made a big statement about Nikon eating Canon's lunch (or whatever) and it was all over for Canon unless they did something and a very short while later Canon owners were happily cradling the 1dxii. Then when the A9 came out you were in another frenzy about concerns over a backup body. That ended up being a 5D4 which you now proclaim to be the best possible choice for your needs. Now Canon introduces a new mount and it's all dramatic flair and predictions again. You want to talk about doctors? In medicine the best doctors usually proceed with the most cautious and conservative approach. Maybe we should all just calm down and take a page from that book. You've got a community around that has some members already nervous enough about investments in EF. Why stoke fires unnecessarily? We're just guys on the Internet who usually get it wrong anyway.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,250 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 10, 2018 07:08 |  #72

bw!

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,336 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed. (17 edits in all)

Nov 10, 2018 07:23 |  #73

In addition to my 5 year prediction of where this is headed, a couple big factors in all of this are:

SLOWER ADOPTION
A) If Canon just makes the same lenses as today with just RF mounts, then this move will take more time. Those that shoot macros, sports, and wildlife are pretty happy with the lens selections today, and just like it took a while for people to gravitate toward MKII and MKIII of EF lenses, that same mentality will exist with RF. People didn't move in droves to the newer lenses, MANY today still shoot with the originals.

FAST ADOPTION
B) If Canon makes unique lenses like the 28-70 f2, and other lenses that either they don't have today, even if competitors have made them, then the move to RF willo occur faster. If they make a 50-150 f2 for example, or some faster lenses with IS that don't have IS today, etc, then this progression to mirrorless just to gain access to these lenses will move faster. Better RF replacements for lenses that aren't particularly sharp in certain cases, lenses that aren't very fast for AF or are known to have AF issues, and lenses that aren't built all that great will matter here too.

FASTER ADOPTION
C) Body-wise Canon HAS to introduce IBIS, they have to have blazingly fast and accurate eye AF during continuous focus priority shooting, definitely more resolution, faster burst, better 4K implementation, more customization, and they have to STOP doing that stupid "we will turn on/off inconsequential features to differentiate our models", and do something more substantial. This latter behavior worked ten years ago with the 40D/50D vs Rebels and then the 7D, but those days are over.

ASSESSMENT
If you shoot macro today, the lenses today are great. If you shoot portraiture, there are so many options, and you don't need sharper lenses, because you invariably touch up or soften the skin now anyways. If you shoot sports, it would be nice to have different zooms that are faster, so if they follow b) and they make a capable sports camera, then EOS R/RF will be a great option, if neither of these happen, sports shooters won't move over quickly. Landscape shooters won't move over until they have greater resolution mirrorless (people are really attached to their 5Ds/r and A73r bodies). Wildlife shooters will move if the reach and sharpness is there.

So many things have to align for people to move "in droves" to the new mirrorless branding and RF lenses. When you have so many factors, some dependent on Canon, and the rest dependent on the millions of photographers, there is no way DSLR and EF/EFS/EFM lenses are going away in the next couple of years. This is going to be a long ride.

Those with GAS, those with older gear that have skipped the latest few releases, those that are diehard Canon lenses only and don't open themselves up to great 3rd party options, those that gauge everything photographic around sharpness at the pixel level, and those that aren't using their current gear to its fullest capacity because either their gear, or they themself, is lacking are the ones that will be the early adopters, those that are happy with results today and are more conservative will progress more slowly through the new mirrorless and mount landscape.

For those that want mirrorless for a weight and size savings, well forget that for now, because either the EOS-R now or the current RF lenses really get them to that goal.

BASIS FOR OPINION
Just my opinion, but I have been on a few boards for nearly 2 decades now, and my assessment was developed watching both those oldtimers on the boards and how they have moved through releases, along with new members asking questions and buying up gear. I have also watched Sony through these years and when the MKIII bodies came out, Sony hit enough of a home run to pull away die hard Canon shooters. Canon isn't at that level yet. Give them 2-3 more releases going into 2020, and that might change a bit. However quite a bit of damage has already been made, and Sony will keep churning out better bodies, so again this will play a part.

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by davesrose.

Nov 10, 2018 08:45 |  #74

ed rader wrote in post #18747786 (external link)
that's what I said except I believe at some point ef protocol will be dropped from mirrorless bodies. canon is in business to make money. they want you to buy RF lenses. at some point you're gonna have to defy your inner cheapskate and take the wallet off the hip and join the future or continue on with older equipment.

btw, canon isn't offering a roadmap now.

You said Canon offered support for FD lenses 5 years out. I corrected that by saying Canon still produced FD lenses for 5 years after EOS came out (and support lasts after that period as well). And btw, if you watch the OP video or read my first post, you’ll see that the Canon rep did say that Canon still has “roadmaps of new EF lenses we want to produce”.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,336 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed. (8 edits in all)

Nov 10, 2018 09:35 as a reply to  @ davesrose's post |  #75

I am confused why Ed, a passionate Canon loyalist, would be so adamant that Canon will shortly stop making, and supporting, EF lenses. Doesn't it benefit all of us if Canon continues to work with all Canon users, whether that be with DSLRs, EF lenses, RF mounts, etc? The more Canon works with the entire base, the longer everyone stays with Canon and the convince others to go with Canon too, thus padding the Canon coffers.

Once a person has to expend tons of money to move to a new format and new lens lineup, or they feel Canon just isn't doing anything for them, they will likely move to other manufacturers, based on similar features and budget. That has happened already with the XT3 and A73/A9 series in fact. Remember that POTN and FM and DPREVIEW members are the minority in the global market of Canon, there is an entirely larger consumer base that may not even be aware of EOS-R/RF mounts. Ignore that group, and a business plan will fail.

It benefits Ed and Mike both to have Canon support everything that we ALL have now for the foreseeable future with a slow and methodical move away from the older tech instead of a sudden pull-away. Methinks in many of the discussions of EOS-R/RF, passion and excitement is putting reason and logic in the backseat. Nothing wrong with that, happens in all industries to various extents. :)

sponsored links

11,033 views & 131 likes for this thread
No new releases for EF lens for 2019- per Canon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.